Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

Meredith seems like a good name for her to grow into. My parents chose names for my siblings and I that are more "adult" and seemed old for little kids, but they had the foresight to realize we'd be adults longer than toddlers. Meredith is a very sound, professional, adult name and should she ever pursue a career she will have better luck than if she was named Makinleeanuh or something. 

• Love 10

I'm impressed by their choice. I was certain The Smuggars were gonna go for something with a Mc, like McKeighla or McKynnlee. Girls tend to get the creative end of the stick, too.

• Love 4

It's The Sam's Club community room at Arvest Stadium. It's hardly a luxury suite. It's 9 dollars a person.

I still don't understand the assumption that this room/photo is affiliated with Sam's Club. The logo on the wall says Sam's Furniture, a store which does not appear to be associated with Walmart/Sam's Club.

• Love 1

I still don't understand the assumption that this room/photo is affiliated with Sam's Club. The logo on the wall says Sam's Furniture, a store which does not appear to be associated with Walmart/Sam's Club.

Yeah, I couldn't find any info about this "Sam's Furniture". I also mistook the blown up photo on the wall behind them as a crowd of people just outside the room.

Seeing that announcement and seeing the picture (and some of the media coverage "Congratulate them"?! ) gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Josh has never received adequate professional treatment or faced the consequences of his actions. His parents seem determined to minimize and deny their son's crimes and have failed him. Worst of all, his wife is  brainwashed and stuck in a cult where women have no options, she doesn't seem to be able to protect her children.

Children are precious. I lost my youngest child (age 25) unexpectedly last week and it really saddens me that no one is protecting these little ones

Caramellow - I am SO SO SO Sorry to hear of your loss.  I wish I had words to make it better, but I know there aren't any.  Again, I'm so sorry.

• Love 5
(edited)

Meredith seems like a good name for her to grow into. My parents chose names for my siblings and I that are more "adult" and seemed old for little kids, but they had the foresight to realize we'd be adults longer than toddlers. Meredith is a very sound, professional, adult name and should she ever pursue a career she will have better luck than if she was named Makinleeanuh or something.

This ^^^. Let's just say if I needed a doctor or lawyer and the two to choose from were Meredith Smith or MacKaeylee Smith, I'm probably gonna choose Meredith. (Given that I know nothing about their professional reputations or anything.)

I guess it is true that in Duggarworld, no one is probably that worried about a girl's name being a good fit for a professional adult woman, since the girls aren't encouraged to work outside of the home. As others have noted, the boys however, are given pretty traditional names/spellings that would be fitting for business owners, pilots, politicans, etc.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 7
(edited)

Because it is on the Arvest Stadium webpage...They do have luxury suites. Though, that photo was clearly taken in the community room. If you can find your way around the internet in the most simple form, this information is easy peasy to find. http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20071127&content_id=41076350&sid=t1350&vkey=team5

Damn it to hell. I don't even care. It's just the rabid misinformation and speculation.. 

It would not surprise me at all if they did have a luxury suite. I was only pointing out that from that one photo that was first seen, the speculation was not even close to on point. I can surely believe they rented out the community room for photo op's and then went up to the suite to do their own thing. 

Edited by redlaces
  • Love 2
(edited)

Because it is on the Arvest Stadium webpage...They do have luxury suites. Though, that photo was clearly taken in the community room. If you can find your way around the internet in the most simple form, this information is easy peasy to find. http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20071127&content_id=41076350&sid=t1350&vkey=team5

Damn it to hell. I don't even care. It's just the rabid misinformation and speculation..

It would not surprise me at all if they did have a luxury suite. I was only pointing out that from that one photo that was first seen, the speculation was not even close to on point. I can surely believe they rented out the community room for photo op's and then went up to the suite to do their own thing.

I'm confused. Does Sam's Furniture not own their suite? Can anyone, for example, the KKK, hire that suite?

ETA: That stadium, which seats 5,500-7000, cost the City of Bentonville $50 million freakin dollars!!!

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2

I think the confusion with the room pic (the one where they're sitting down with the TV on the wall) vs. the Sam's FURNITURE advertising (where they're standing) are TWO different places. I mistook the former for a luxury suite because the room has a TV. I acknowledged my error; not knowing what the suites look like in a single A ballpark threw me. Mea culpa! 

Usually, luxury suites are available to people/businesses who have some sort of business relationship with the box owner. Some are owned by "regular" people, maybe more prevalent at lower-level ballparks, but certainly not at the level of Yankee Stadium unless one is a megastar and can afford it. Sam's Furniture may well have a luxury box at Arvest Stadium, but I sure as hell don't care enough to research it, plus, we're going more and more OT with this discussion. 

Suffice it to say that Josh was there Sunday night (and so was Jessa, in a new pic I saw in which she looks like she could be wearing capris but could also be a bunched up skirt). I'm sure Joe (or Sam's) comped all of the Duggars who attended. I also imagine that kids get in cheaper; that's pretty universal with baseball games, no matter the level, so that's a lot less money for whoever paid, given the gaggle of kids we saw. 

• Love 2

... Children are precious. I lost my youngest child (age 25) unexpectedly last week and it really saddens me that no one is protecting these little ones

Carmellow, I'm so sorry. Words feel meaningless right now. Wishing for you moments of peace.

• Love 5

As for Josh at the baseball game- if Anna's cool with it, then great. But maybe don't Instagram it as fodder for those who feel like he should be at home or want to despise everything he does. It probably wouldn't hurt your image if you just let us think you were at home helping with the new baby, Josh. Instead you shout to the world via social media that you're not.

In his defense (ick) Josh didn't post anything about the game, a family friend did.

• Love 4

I just can't with all the God awful spellings of girls' names nowadays. My head hurts thinking about it.

Was Meredith born at the TTH? From the most recent pics I saw of Josh's place, it didn't look like it was ready yet.

• Love 5

Children are precious. I lost my youngest child (age 25) unexpectedly last week and it really saddens me that no one is protecting these little ones

Caramello, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you are surrounded by family, friends and comfort.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm confused. Does Sam's Furniture not own their suite? Can anyone, for example, the KKK, hire that suite?

ETA: That stadium, which seats 5,500-7000, cost the City of Bentonville $50 million freakin dollars!!!

Our Class A minor league stadium doesn't have suite owners; they have 12 luxury suites and any group can rent them out.  They also have non-suite group facilities like a deck with tables and chairs.  The cost for suites is $25 pp for tickets, and most suites have minimum numbers (regular tickets are like half that); higher if you want catering.   (It was much more affordable- 16 million dollars in 2001.)

So Sam's might not own their suite.  They might just rent it out for employee functions. So the Duggars were probably just guests of owners/employees.  I don't see a problem with Josh going out right after his daughter was born. Anna very well might have WANTED quiet time; afterall, he took the other kids with him.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 1

Just as a btw, Arvest Ballpark is actually in Springdale not Bentonville. Arvest is a Bentonville based bank group (Walton founded) that has naming rights for the stadium. Also, as mentioned, Sam's Furniture isn't affiliated with Sam's Club or a Walton based business. Here is the furniture store website with an ad y'all can enjoy in all its local cheesiness.

As someone who wouldn't have cared if my ex went somewhere after I'd just had my kids I personally wouldn't have a problem with Josh going to a game, but I understand why some people wouldn't be okay with that. I do like the name Meredith. I know a young child & a 20 year old with the name so I've never thought of it as old. I'm glad that Anna had an uneventful delivery & that she & baby Mere are healthy!

• Love 1

If they are staying with the Duggars (they are there for the ring ceremony) with Joy holding the baby, maybe Anna is surrounded by various potentially helpful Duggars. Or those same various potentially helpful Duggars could go to her house. Maybe she is tired of him hanging around and needed a break from him.

• Love 3

Our Class A minor league stadium doesn't have suite owners; they have 12 luxury suites and any group can rent them out.  They also have non-suite group facilities like a deck with tables and chairs.  The cost for suites is $25 pp for tickets, and most suites have minimum numbers (regular tickets are like half that); higher if you want catering.   (It was much more affordable- 16 million dollars in 2001.)

So Sam's might not own their suite.  They might just rent it out for employee functions. So the Duggars were probably just guests of owners/employees.  I don't see a problem with Josh going out right after his daughter was born. Anna very well might have WANTED quiet time; afterall, he took the other kids with him.

They left Mackynzie at home (apparently with Jordyn, who is also not pictured in any of the shots I've seen from the ballpark excursion). So, the Smuggars seem to have split this strictly down gender lines. If Anna wanted peace and quiet, wouldn't Josh have taken ALL of the kids? A five year old is really more of a hindrance than a help, even a doting big sister. 

• Love 2

The little girls may not have wanted to go. My daughter is the same age as Michael, and I know she would rather not go to sporting events. Given that she was likely with Jordyn (who needs a good friend too) they probably played together happily.

• Love 2

Aaaand less than 24 hours after the birth of his daughter, Josh is off gallivanting about at a baseball game with the Sam's guy, various Duggars, and Sierra. 

https://instagram.com/p/5V25y5RhCp/?taken-by=joe_donaldson_1

Is that a Duggar Lost Girl in the front row wearing the floor sweeping chevron dress/skirt? (Jenny?) Doesn't matter who she is but why at her age is she wearing such a long skirt that looks like a ladies dress, not a girls size? I can't imagine her navigating steps wearing that thing. If it is Jenny, I guess she grabbed it off the clothes pile & dressed herself with no guidance from Jana & Jessa who must have been busy.

Caramello - so sorry for your loss. You & your family will be in my prayers.

• Love 1

My daughter picked a maxi dress out at a store and refused to be parted from it. Every time she wore it, the hem looked like it had been dragged through the mud, because, well, some days it had. It looked a lot like Jenny's.

• Love 2
(edited)

Baseball suites aren't always as posh as you'd think. My husband is a season ticket holder (4 annual regular seats), and he gets a free "thank you" suite for one day each season. The freebie's location moves each year, but, like the majority of suites, ours is never that close to the action. In fact, our free suite is often way beyond center field and seemingly MILES away from the plate. But for the several  en suite TV's (little ones, NOT big screens, BTW), you truly need binocs to discern a ball from a strike. Inside the box, you get @20 stacked seats, a sofa and a small bar and fridge that come completely empty. You have to pay $$$ for the stadium to stock food and drinks. Popcorn for 4 for $30 anyone? Then you serve yourself - before generously tipping whoever delivered your $9 hot dog and $10 beer.

A "suite" experience can vary, depending on the layout of the ballpark (newer parks tend to move suites closer in). And no doubt corporate suites can be as plush as someone wants to make them. Long term subscribers can customize the interiors and usually have the $$$ for obscene amounts of food and drink. But the lay-out of all suites (at least in our stadium) is always the same and only a few get the coveted spots behind home plate and up the first and third baselines. Don't know the specifics of the Sam's suite, but I'd like to think Josh's "suite" experience was more mundane. He probably had 6 hot dogs, 7 sodas and a churro while squinting at the game and worrying how to get out of the ballpark without being heckled.

Edited by HundFan
  • Love 1

The suites at the University of Arkansas baseball field are not a big deal. There are a few very, very nice ones, owned by Wal-Mart execs but most are very plain. I am native to NWA and this Sam's store is new.

I frankly am glad to see Josh out and about again. His actions as a minor, are the sole responsibility of his parent's. I am hopeful that his molesting was a teenage thing and he doesn't have a proclivity to keep doing that. Throw tomatoes at me, but I can only imagine what he has been through as well. His name is forever tainted and I blame his parent's.

Assuming he truly did change, that he no longer has these thoughts or desires and has been forgiven by the Lord and his sisters, I worry for his state of mind and future.

Baseball suites aren't always as posh as you'd think. My husband is a season ticket holder (4 annual regular seats), and he gets a free "thank you" suite for one day each season. The freebie's location moves each year, but, like the majority of suites, ours is never that close to the action. In fact, our free suite is often way beyond center field and seemingly MILES away from the plate. But for the several  en suite TV's (little ones, NOT big screens, BTW), you truly need binocs to discern a ball from a strike. Inside the box, you get @20 stacked seats, a sofa and a small bar and fridge that come completely empty. You have to pay $$$ for the stadium to stock food and drinks. Popcorn for 4 for $30 anyone? Then you serve yourself - before generously tipping whoever delivered your $9 hot dog and $10 beer.

A "suite" experience can vary, depending on the layout of the ballpark (newer parks tend to move suites closer in). And no doubt corporate suites can be as plush as someone wants to make them. Long term subscribers can customize the interiors and usually have the $$$ for obscene amounts of food and drink. But the lay-out of all suites (at least in our stadium) is always the same and only a few get the coveted spots behind home plate and up the first and third baselines. Don't know the specifics of the Sam's suite, but I'd like to think Josh's "suite" experience was more mundane. He probably had 6 hot dogs, 7 sodas and a churro while squinting at the game and worrying how to get out of the ballpark without being heckled.

Looks to me like Josh has dropped some weight. Maybe he is working out with Ben.

My husband has been in IT for 25 years. His former employer had a suite at Seattle's Safeco Field for several years. Since the big boss thought my husband was his personal tech support, we got special treats like suite tickets to numerous games. (Everyone who's ever lived in the Seattle area is most likely rolling their eyes right now. We love 'em, but M's tickets can be hit or miss.) And suite tickets at Safeco are expensive. Any suite there is luxurious.

My point, and I do have one: One has to wonder about the wisdom of any company offering their "suite" tickets to Smuggar right now, palatial or not. Does it help their bottom line that photos of Smuggar (helpfully pointing at the company's signage if the rest of us did not get his message!) and his siblings were disseminated all over social media? IMHO of course, but I wouldn't be shopping at that retailer, and I would be telling other people to not shop there, either.

It would be interesting to know if the Duggars are as radioactive in that community as they are across the rest of the country. It would also be interesting to know if there was backlash as a result. Then again, there seems to be plenty over Birth Gate right now. Maybe everyone who's sick of this family and their fame-whoring ways is in outrage overload.

• Love 7

If they are staying with the Duggars (they are there for the ring ceremony) with Joy holding the baby, maybe Anna is surrounded by various potentially helpful Duggars. Or those same various potentially helpful Duggars could go to her house. Maybe she is tired of him hanging around and needed a break from him.

He hasn't worked in quite a while.  I'm sure she is sick of him and was happy to be semi-alone.  I know I would be.  

Okay- I am sending myself to the prayer closet because this made and continues to make me LMAO.  I wonder if they serve donut burgers (for desert of course).  I know - off to the closet I go. 

• Love 3
(edited)

The suites at the University of Arkansas baseball field are not a big deal. There are a few very, very nice ones, owned by Wal-Mart execs but most are very plain. I am native to NWA and this Sam's store is new.

Josh was at a Naturals game not the U of A. Also, Sam's Furniture has been in business in NWA since the early '90s. If you're local you may remember old ads with a large, older man yelling at the screen: "Get it at Sam's" while he circled his arms & pointed at the screen. Back to Joshie, he & Anna do make pretty babies.

ETA: I kind of want a churro now.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 1
(edited)

Josh was at a Naturals game not the U of A. Also, Sam's Furniture has been in business in NWA since the early '90s. If you're local you may remember old ads with a large, older man yelling at the screen: "Get it at Sam's" while he circled his arms & pointed at the screen. Back to Joshie, he & Anna do make pretty babies.

ETA: I kind of want a churro now.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

I am sorry about you loss. I lost my daughter (age 34) 6 years ago. Feel free to join us at the Small talks thread...we all get and give support there. Again, no words.

• Love 1

I was trolling around FB and saw a post by a "friend" I haven't talked to in years. It was a pic of her grandson, and she posted something about "Jaxsyn" jumping in the pool. JAXSYN??? Holy cow, I am now ready to say Anna can have her weird Y's!!!

• Love 5

I was trolling around FB and saw a post by a "friend" I haven't talked to in years. It was a pic of her grandson, and she posted something about "Jaxsyn" jumping in the pool. JAXSYN??? Holy cow, I am now ready to say Anna can have her weird Y's!!!

Sounds like a medication for erectile dysfunction.

• Love 10

I'm a teacher, and I had a student named "Jaxsyn" last year. Sweet kid, who obviously had overly creative parents.

Back to Josh and Anna, I do like the name Meredith Grace. I was sure M4 would be "Madisyn." I'm happy to be wrong, but I do think that little girl's name, regardless of what it may have been, will be the least of her troubles.

• Love 3