Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

Has anyone else noticed that Josh doesn't look like the rest of his brothers?   He has little girlish features, while the other boys all look like a distorted Howdy Doody with acne,

Maybe Josh is the product of the lustful mowing incident?     A blessing from God and Toro.

• Love 13

Has anyone else noticed that Josh doesn't look like the rest of his brothers? He has little girlish features, while the other boys all look like a distorted Howdy Doody with acne,

Maybe Josh is the product of the lustful mowing incident? A blessing from God and Toro.

His eyebrows are on fleek

2j671pf.jpg

They've always been on fleek

f1b0og.jpg

• Love 1

If a baby was born with Anna's nose, it's definitely Meredith.

Wow. Nice photo, Jessa. Obviously it's ALL about the baby, right? Ugh...the narcissisism! (This is a perfect example of the worst thing about selfies. I'm so sick of the ocean of "look at ME--aren't I just DARLING??" pix out there. Sorry...little rant.)

• Love 9

Wow. Nice photo, Jessa. Obviously it's ALL about the baby, right? Ugh...the narcissisism! (This is a perfect example of the worst thing about selfies. I'm so sick of the ocean of "look at ME--aren't I just DARLING??" pix out there. Sorry...little rant.)

Such a very apt little rant. This could be the cover photo for a book on what's wrong with the selfie era. The look on the baby vs. the look on Jessa (who clearly spent a good 20 minutes getting her hair into just the right configuration). Your photo is inadvertently heartbreaking, Jessa.

• Love 11

o

I was raised to believe that vanity was a sin. Not a burn in hell, soul damned forever sin, but impolite and not gracious. Somehow the selfie has erased this and made it "good form". Curious that the Duggars spend so much time posting their "countinence" or however it is spelled all over the Internet. I would call them hypocrites, but here that is truly preaching to the choir!

• Love 10

Good point,

It was annouced that day but the Duggars knew the day before.  All the drama probably brought on labor. 

Since that was the case, if I had been Johs and Anna, I wouldn't have announced right away either.  I wouldn't LIE about the date. Just omit the date on all their social postings etc. 

Did they say the wrong date or omit? I forgot what they actually did. How many days is the difference?

That would explain why Josh was at the baseball game the day the baby was born.  She was born earlier than the baseball game. 

The omitted. They announced the SUNDAY after the birth on Thursday (show cancellation day). We here noticed right off that this omission had occurred and speculated as to why; they had never withheld  any part of birth information (date, time, weight, length) before. 

I agree that the news of cancellation, which came very early that morning, probably brought on labor. Of course, she was 6 days overdue, so there's that as well. 

• Love 1

I agree that the news of cancellation, which came very early that morning, probably brought on labor. Of course, she was 6 days overdue, so there's that as well. 

Not that I have experience with either, but I wonder which an overdue Mom would prefer - Pitocin, or end-of-show announcement?

I feel so bad for her. I hope one of these days she just gets a peaceful birth experience if she decides to have more kids.No toilets, cameras, molestation scandals, etc.

• Love 3

It will be interesting to see how the tide of public opinion turns on her. She had all the sympathy in the world when the scandal broke, the innocent wife pregnant with their fourth child. If she announces in the next few months that she is expecting their fifth, I suspect public sympathy will quickly dry up.

• Love 8

SewSumi, do t you think people keep having babies (nineteen of them, for example) because in a way, they are trying so hard to recapture that euphoric moment you have with the fist one? I know my first was HELL BABY, although I didn't know any better until I had number 2. But that totally in-love consumed emotion that floods you after that first birth is addictive. I WANTED that again. Ripped from stem to stern, so many many obstacles in our way - I couldn't walk straight for 6 months, but remember saying before I left the hospital, "I want another one!" I think (especially very young parents)think they will a) duplicate that other-worldly feeling you have when you both survive birth and b) want to duplicate that tremendous "bonding" moment the parents feel together, sharing that moment. I personally think Michelle, (the self admitted not-so-in-love-with-babies), especially was looking for that euphoric moment and the connection moment, so she kept having them. That euphoria (although never as intense again as with the first) is something that a new mother really latches onto. It DOES feel like a blessing from heaven, considering what you AND a baby go thru to arrive safely.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 8

Happyfatchick - Heya, girlie ! I think, for Michelle, at least, ALL of her joy and euphoria (to use your word) came from her pregnancy, labor, delivery, and announcement that it was a little Duggar boy or girl. After that, it was pretty much "meh". She had six or seven before she had built up enough of an older-kid army to take care of the younger ones, and after that it was just ALLL about the babies. JUST the babies...

She reminds me of people that don't like dogs, but they love puppies. 

It's just so sad, especially as you run down the line, age-wise, to see the neglect and indifference to each "flower" in the "garden". If they had stopped at, say, Joy, they could have really made a good run of it as a family...

It makes me especially sad, in the light of the recent revelations about Josh, that Anna just keeps on keepin' on. Not that she could stop the pregnancy of #4 Meredith, but makes me wonder if she'd even consider having another. I hope she knows and understands that she can get birth control from her doctor and it would be protected information - Josh, by law, could never know.

She already has her hands full, between breastfeeding a newborn, almost a full-time job, certainly, AND the other three not-so-well-behaved little ones, so why not take a little break, Anna, dear ? 

One baby a year isn't a mandate - it sounds more like a life sentence. 

• Love 9

SewSumi, do t you think people keep having babies (nineteen of them, for example) because in a way, they are trying so hard to recapture that euphoric moment you have with the fist one? I know my first was HELL BABY, although I didn't know any better until I had number 2. But that totally in-love consumed emotion that floods you after that first birth is addictive. I WANTED that again. Ripped from stem to stern, so many many obstacles in our way - I couldn't walk straight for 6 months, but remember saying before I left the hospital, "I want another one!" I think (especially very young parents)think they will a) duplicate that other-worldly feeling you have when you both survive birth and b) want to duplicate that tremendous "bonding" moment the parents feel together, sharing that moment. I personally think Michelle, (the self admitted not-so-in-love-with-babies), especially was looking for that euphoric moment and the connection moment, so she kept having them. That euphoria (although never as intense again as with the first) is something that a new mother really latches onto. It DOES feel like a blessing from heaven, considering what you AND a baby go thru to arrive safely.

I always that euphoric time helped women forget labor & delivery so the world would not be under populated. But I think most moms balance the euphoria with the time, energy, money and worry that come with raising kids, and long term reality usually wins out over short term euphoria. Which probably explains how Michelle was able to keep going after her breakdown, she kind of checked out and passed on the whole 'time, energy, money & worry' to JB and her older kids.

Anna is only at #4, which is a manageable size, especially considering the help she receives. But she seems to genuinely love and care for her kids, so maybe common sense will override Gothardism. Maybe in the future they won't try for babies, nor use birth control.

Back when I was born most families I grew up with had 4 - 8 children, (the pill came out right around the time I was born, and yup I'm the youngest). There were other forms of birth control back then, but I believe the most used form was the ability to say no to sex. Something these women do not do.

• Love 6

This is so gorgeously put. And I'm sure you're right about it. Darwin actually backs you up, I think. (By the way, do we say "Nike!" when something like a Darwinian concept appears, or do we shout out a different warning, like "Dawkins!" or "Ham!"?) Seems to make sense that the women who have this feeling most strongly would -- through the ages -- have been more likely to have more children (other things being equal), so this trait would tend to survive and prosper.

Anyway, I'm sure you're right. But then later other feelings also play into our family-planning decisions-- Like, Crap, how are we going to afford to build an extra bedroom? I really wanted to start college funds for all the kids! Just once, I'd like to sleep in till 8 o'clock on the weekends! and My god, those baby Nike shoes are expensive!

I think you're right on the money with Michelle, too. Since she doesn't seem to get much joy or satisfaction out of kids after they've popped out, this would be where her kid-joy comes from, exclusively. Now that I've typed that, I sure hope it isn't true, since that would be extremely sad. Maybe it is, though. She certainly does seem to be a very disengaged mother.

• Love 3

She reminds me of people that don't like dogs, but they love puppies.

BEST ANALOGY EVER. (Especially since I'm the opposite...puppies are an adorable but giant PITA and I'm thrilled when they grow up a little.

Edited because I just realized what thread I'm in :)

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 6

If Josh was smart (and could avoid the (I'm sure) massive guilt), he'd use the post-partum break from sex to "slyly" go get himself a vasectomy, and simply not tell anyone. Oh dear, infertility!

• Love 7

Anna thankfully seems to have her mother's fertility with only a baby every two years and longer times between pregnancies as she goes along. Breastfeeding seems to work for her in child spacing. I'd like to think at some point the younger Duggars will begin to take measures to further slow the baby train.  I can send Anna wishes for secondary infertility at this point.

• Love 4

His real father is John Deer!

A DNA test could prove it.   Maybe that's why Mechelle seemed to like him best.  Maybe the next 18 pregnancies (20 if you count Caleb & Jubilee) were JimBob competing for the highest score.  It's all making sense now.

• Love 2

^^^^YES^^^^ I so agree with this post! As mentioned elsewhere, I had four kids with my first husband, and I remember longing for that overwhelming feeling of joy and love. The brain and body get flooded with all the feel-good hormones, and for a few days you are treated as though you're the first woman ever to bring forth a precious new life. That's powerful stuff, and for Michelle you have to throw in 1) the driving Gothard message that giving birth is what GOD put her on earth to do, and 2) the direct monetary link between her reproducing and the Duggar family income. Recipe for loony.

• Love 9

While I didn't have 19 children or even close to it I absolutely LOVED being pregnant.  LOVED every minute of it!  But I think with rational moms (and dads for that matter)though they may enjoy the whole experience they know that you have to be practical too.  The child needs care in every way and providing that care becomes very important and takes priority.   Just like someone may enjoy a vacation they realize that there's a time and a place.  Or someone may enjoy going out to eat but they know not every meal is going to be like that.  Moderation and balance.  Michelle kept getting to repeat the great Euphoria of pregnancy-infancy with JB's full support and her other children dealing with the practical matters of life after that.  

• Love 4

My post earlier about the experience of childbirth was intended to be about Anna, seriously - because Anna seems to be so "all-in" and also seems to have an inherent sweetness about her - I can imagine childbirth being (for her)  just the BEST drug ever.  I loved being pregnant too - you can convince yourself for a minute that you DO matter, and you spend the whole 9 months thinking about that little critter inside.  How big they are TODAY, what they are doing TODAY, who they look like.  When you have the baby, time stops for a second.  You ARE the queen of creation - you have produced this baby and it's a miracle.  (For those of us who have had this moment, you know exactly what I mean - it truly IS a miracle.)  Its natural, and it happens a bazillion times a DAY - and yet, you feel like THIS one is the one that matters.  I remember having out-of-body experiences (especially with my Sasquatch) during delivery - so that when I actually lived through it and could react on the other side, it was absolutely miraculous.  I was pretty sure I could conquer ANY foe at that point.  And I feel like nothing is going to deter Anna from wanting that "moment" again and again.  I doubt she'll hit 19 (so... yay!) but she'll probably keep having them on a regular basis...until she can't.

For me, there was a moment in time when I said, "OK, braces, glasses, education, food, clothing, shelter, attention, time, love, patience, nurturing, coping skills, doctor appointments, endurance, selflessness, attention to detail, responsibility, training them to be decent humans, training them to be self sufficient, training them to overcome obstacles, training them to be focused on a goal, teaching them to always do the right thing, teaching them to care for other people... I'm done".  I couldn't add any more to this mix because I KNOW ME.  My inner resources would be tapped out and I couldn't maintain  my own standards of motherhood if I kept adding to the tribe.  "Could" I have raised more?  Probably.  "Should" I have?  Probably not.  And while any of my 3 would have welcomed another baby - I imagine all 3 are also grateful that I stopped there - that my attention skills are maxed out and they're lucky not to have had to stretch it any further.  Anna, however (and Jill, Jessa, et al) won't HAVE that mindset.  And that implies that I'm convinced I'm right.  In this case, we've actually seen the matriarch in action.  We've seen exactly how this plays out - that she gets to turn more and more duties over to the older children - so that eventually she weans herself out of the picture.  That's what they KNOW.  I do feel Anna loves her children and certainly seems to interact with each of them.  Maybe ANNA, just maybe... will have that moment when she evaluates the kind of care she wants to provide each child, and will decide to stop the machine.  I don't think Josh would argue much - his world has come to a screeching, noisy stop - so maybe he will evaluate his options WRT the number of arrows.

We have this thing we say in the south (when we see a really large woman in a really small dress, for example):  Just because you can, doesn't mean you oughtta.

On the other hand, post-partum depression is also fairly common.

It is - but unless it's disastrous (and it certainly CAN be), once it's over, it can be minimized and downplayed until it's a non-event.  I remember being depressed at times, and attributing to PPD, but it wasn't enough to have been a deterrent if I'd been hell bent on having more.

• Love 8

Perhaps Josh is too depressed for that these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if both of the Smuggars were depressed before the baby was born, their lives did fall apart, and he must be feeling a lot of shame.
  • Love 3

I also  think both of them were probably depressed - I can't imagine not being after the fiasco in May.  I think Anna is a good mother and has always been shown to be very involved in the kids daily lives.  I think if they had stayed in DC, they would be less inclined to have as many as "God's Blessings"  as possible. Now that they are back in Ark., that may go by the wayside. I do not see them having 19 kids, but, I questions how they could support 8-12 kids. Josh has no education, no job skills and, is most certainly not marketable for the near future. They can't live off Daddy's money forever.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 6

They can't live off Daddy's money forever.

Especially when 18 other young families will try to live off it, too.

Can't imagine why all the Duggars wouldn't be deeply depressed from contemplating this potential future, which seems terrifyingly likely, given how things have proceeded with them so far.

• Love 5

Especially when 18 other young families will try to live off it, too.

Can't imagine why all the Duggars wouldn't be deeply depressed from contemplating this potential future, which seems terrifyingly likely, given how things have proceeded with them so far.

That's kind of why I hoped for the show to continue.

But if the show continued it would just perpetuate the myth that you can afford to raise a family of 19 kids.  There are already enough families who have bought into this (the Rodrigues family, for example) and the truth is it is very difficult to afford this lifestyle.  The sooner that message gets out the better.

• Love 16

But if the show continued it would just perpetuate the myth that you can afford to raise a family of 19 kids. There are already enough families who have bought into this (the Rodrigues family, for example) and the truth is it is very difficult to afford this lifestyle. The sooner that message gets out the better.

The Rodrigues parents are clearly not smart (David) and insane (Jill). The risk of anyone susceptible for quiverfull-itis being influenced by the Duggars was low, their culture discourages media consumption. The Duggars being on TV and the money they earned from their show actually made the family susceptible to moderation from mainstream culture. Edited by Kokapetl

Yeah, I do get that. It is worrisome.

I see two problems with it, though. One is that I'm afraid that a lot of young girls (among others) think that the continuance of show means that the endless-kids-without-parental-outside-the-home-jobs is feasible. And it's not! So I'd rather that message didn't get put out.

And the other -- way more important one, to me -- was for the Duggar kids'  and grandkids' own sake. Because that show was going to end eventually. Because every show does. And it was going to end without much or any warning. Because every show does. And, to me, the sooner it ended, the more time most of these kids have to figure out a more reasonable way to live before they start churning out multiple Duggar copies. To me, it's better Jessa and Ben, for example, find out that they need an alternative life plan now, when they only have one kid on the way, rather than three years from now when they have two crawling around and one imminent. The longer it took, the harder it's going to be for everybody to adjust, in my opinion.

Plus, to me, being on reality tv is just really really harmful for kids' overall view of themselves and of life. So the sooner they get those younger kids off tv the better. I frankly think that the delusions of tv are far more dangerous than anything that's going to happen to them just because Michelle and Jim Bob aren't on the tube any more. I realize that not everybody thinks that! But the tv agenda just added to the emotional abuse, in my opinion, and I think emotional abuse and manipulation and being encouraged to have your whole life be false is about the worst thing that can happen to a kid, really. MMV, of course!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 23

I'm of the opinion that whoever wrote Josh's statement did a really great job. He says flat out that he behaved horribly and apologizes without "I'm sorry if anyone was offended" type run arounds. He lost his job over it. The show was cancelled over it.

Honestly, what is so incredibly important that you would need to go up to someone who is a stranger and confront them in a restaurant?

I wouldn't go up to him, but I'd for sure talk (in my usual, loud noisy voice) about the guy that molested all of his sisters, how he did a little construction and how his parents covered it all up and continue to do so and how his entire family lies for him. I'd make sure to mention the ages of his siblings too. The monster shouldn't feel comfortable anywhere.

Of course, I'd keep any little kid close to me.

Edited by Nutella
  • Love 5

This discussion is starting to veer too far off-Duggar. 

The motivations of the whistleblowers are not relevant to the molestation incidents or this thread.  The sexuality of the whistleblowers certainly isn't relevant here.  

Please refrain from bringing in tangential and potentially inflammatory side issues into what is already a controversial discussion topic.

• Love 4

Anna thankfully seems to have her mother's fertility with only a baby every two years and longer times between pregnancies as she goes along. Breastfeeding seems to work for her in child spacing. I'd like to think at some point the younger Duggars will begin to take measures to further slow the baby train.  I can send Anna wishes for secondary infertility at this point.

A baby every two years from age 21 to 46 is still 12 or 13 kids. Yikes! 

It is, and it can be really bad, especially if you belong to a cult that doesn't acknowledge mental illness as legitimate. I worry about that with them.

But if the show continued it would just perpetuate the myth that you can afford to raise a family of 19 kids.  There are already enough families who have bought into this (the Rodrigues family, for example) and the truth is it is very difficult to afford this lifestyle.  The sooner that message gets out the better.

YES! It's infuriating to have them and the Bateses perpetuating that myth. The truth is, Boob was already doing better than the average Gothardite even before they got the show thanks to some very fortunate real estate investments and cell tower opportunities at just the right time. There are countless horror stories to be found on the internet from real ex-Quiverfull people who lived miserable, impoverished lives with no medical care, all in the name of remaining debt and birth control free with as little education as possible.

• Love 12

The risk of anyone susceptible for quiverfull-itis being influenced by the Duggars was low, their culture discourages media consumption. The Duggars being on TV and the money they earned from their show actually made the family susceptible to moderation from mainstream culture.

But look at all of the young girls who are gushing over the Duggars on social media.  Don't you think the show influenced at least a few to think that quiverfull is great, and that all these kids makes life just one big happy party with lots of BFFs living in the same house and always having a cute baby around, all while easily living in the middle class even without an education or skills?  I suspect that fundy-lite or conservative Christian kids are probably allowed to watch this show and a few could be really influenced by seeing this lifestyle presented as wonderful and normal.  And if even a few of those kids end up quiverfull because of that influence, that's too many.  That's why I wanted it off my TV.

• Love 9

But look at all of the young girls who are gushing over the Duggars on social media. Don't you think the show influenced at least a few to think that quiverfull is great, and that all these kids makes life just one big happy party with lots of BFFs living in the same house and always having a cute baby around, all while easily living in the middle class even without an education or skills? I suspect that fundy-lite or conservative Christian kids are probably allowed to watch this show and a few could be really influenced by seeing this lifestyle presented as wonderful and normal. And if even a few of those kids end up quiverfull because of that influence, that's too many. That's why I wanted it off my TV.

Unless you're raised to be Quiverfull, I think it takes considerably more than seeing the Duggars on TV to embrace the Quiverfull lifestyle. It's not like these girls are going to have 19 kids at once, and I think having even one child will dispel any romantic notions these girls may have had about very large families.
  • Love 9

Anna's mother had eight children and very, very, very few women maintain fertility to age 46.  I still think 8 children is too many but it's a far cry from 19. 

I have hope for the teens watching 19 Kidssss.  The early 20s will help a lot of them forget the nonsense of having 19 kids and the first one may disillusion a lot of them.  Kids are work and that comes as a shock to a lot of young women.

• Love 4

Maybe it's just me but I get the feeling that Josh doesn't like Jim Bob.  I haven't seen a lot of episodes but some of the quotes I've read, from when Josh was younger, and a couple of old episodes I saw it just feels like there's some resentment there.  I don't get that feeling with Josh toward Michelle.  

• Love 2

It is, and it can be really bad, especially if you belong to a cult that doesn't acknowledge mental illness as legitimate. I worry about that with them.

YES! It's infuriating to have them and the Bateses perpetuating that myth. The truth is, Boob was already doing better than the average Gothardite even before they got the show thanks to some very fortunate real estate investments and cell tower opportunities at just the right time. There are countless horror stories to be found on the internet from real ex-Quiverfull people who lived miserable, impoverished lives with no medical care, all in the name of remaining debt and birth control free with as little education as possible.

I never bought the TLC story or however it started about their supposed investments and cell tower.    The family was shoved inside a tiny home with one toilet and feeding babies out of a can.

In most of the TLC shows or some others often we never see people actually working or their job doesn't actually exist.   What they claim to do for a living, is often just a claim or they quit their jobs after the TLC money starts rolling in.

• Love 4

Maybe it's just me but I get the feeling that Josh doesn't like Jim Bob.

I honestly think that Josh harbors a lot of resentment towards Jim Bob because he was not allowed to have a proper education.  I'm sure his stint in DC and his work on the Santorum campaign made him even more painfully aware of his lack of real learning.

Also have to wonder if he blames Jim Bob for the molestation scandal to some degree, as in," If I had not been so isolated and allowed to date like normal teens this never would have happened".  Not that it excuses him in any way, shape or form, but you have to wonder.

I always got the feeling that Josh towed the party line because he had to, and the smugness was just bluster to hide his feelings of inferiority.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 10

Maybe although I think it could be due to the conditions he was forced to grow up in in the smaller original house. Plus JimBob's disciplinary techniques, plus the way Jim Bob flaunts his self righteous infallible headship.  I also think that Josh naming his kids with the letter M is a big Fuck you to JBob and a nod to Michelle.

• Love 3

Josh shadowed JimBob when he was a state politician, he would've noticed then that most legislators had university educations, and a significant number of them, and the more powerful ones, also went to law school. In one of the early specials he said he wanted to be a lawyer, but Daddy's insecurities prevented him from a real education. He knows his education is less than worthless, and he experienced the true lifestyle that uneducated rubes have without TLC money. He also wasted plenty of his labour building the TTH, and knows TLC money is really responsible for that being built, too.

You can see some of the same defensive behavior that Josh displays in Jessa's behavior too. She had the "luxury" of not being expected to make it on her own, she was expected to not do that.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

I think Josh is definitely a Mama's boy. To some extent, I also think John David is.

I think John David was fortunate that his worthless education wasn't a problem with his vocational interests.
  • Love 5