Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

Jessa's video might have been in retaliation from Derelict's statements about Boob being a cheapskate and not paying them. In the video comments, Jessa claimed that was a "falsehood," then deleted the post (I saw a screenshot). 

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
(edited)

Jessa's video comes hot on the heels of Michelle making a rather public appearance celebrating Izzy's bday. I read it as Jessa's mean girl way of reminding Jill that even if Michelle shows up for Izzy's bday party Jill is still the outcast of the family because the only opinion that REALLY matters is JB. 

Jessa's also a crappy sister. Why doesn;t she send a nice gift for Izzy? Or do something nice for Jill? It's not as if they live that far away from each other.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Useful 4
  • Love 16

1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

Jessa's also a crappy sister. Why doesn;t she send a nice gift for Izzy? Or do something nice for Jill? It's not as if they live that far away from each other.

Jessa might still see Jill as the enemy if Jessa was the headstrong one and Jill was the prison snitch. They weren’t raised to be nice to each other or do kind things for the sake of being kind. 

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

Jessa's video comes hot on the heels of Michelle making a rather public appearance celebrating Izzy's bday. I read it as Jessa's mean girl way of reminding Jill that even if Michelle shows up for Izzy's bday party Jill is still the outcast of the family because the only opinion that REALLY matters is JB. 

Jessa has 14 nieces and nephews already and many more to come. There is no way I would celebrate each and every one of their birthdays. Besides that right now the best thing she can do for Jill, Israel, and everyone else is stay home. 

• Love 18
(edited)
6 hours ago, Temperance said:

Jessa has 14 nieces and nephews already and many more to come. There is no way I would celebrate each and every one of their birthdays. Besides that right now the best thing she can do for Jill, Israel, and everyone else is stay home. 

That's definitely true. 

Of course, you can do things for people now that don't involve leaving your house.

For kids, especially, you can make videos -- on youtube or just on your phone and then forward them by email  -- just for them. Sing them a song, read them a story, have everybody in your house clown around in a way that's personalized to the kid. Or find some stuff on youtube or elsewhere online that you think the kid would like and put the links in an email with a funny note. 

I think everybody needs stuff like this right now, especially the kids. Plus, it can be a fun thing to do with your kids. "Hey, while we're in quarantine, let's make sure to send a special online greeting to each of your cousins when they have a birthday, okay?" 

It's not like Jessa has so much to do that she doesn't have time for stuff like this. 

Of course, for all we know, she did. I don't make private videos publicly accessible.. Maybe she doesn't either. (yeah, who am I kidding? she's a Duggar...)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 18

Jessa is praising the man who hid the abuse of her and her siblings. She's brainwashed, and I wonder when she'll see the truth. She's probably doing damage control, because Derick is exposing what we already know. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

Jessa is praising the man who hid the abuse of her and her siblings. She's brainwashed, and I wonder when she'll see the truth. She's probably doing damage control, because Derick is exposing what we already know. 

In Jessa's wheelhouse, her parents not telling the public about the molestations probably feels like the right thing to do.

I agree that Jessa is brainwashed, but I also believe she sees some truth. A lot of her choices now are very calculated to paint a picture for viewers and followers of what she wants them to see. She probably does love and admire JB, one, because he is her dad, and two, because she is just like him.

And I also agree she is likely doing damage control.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Baby Shark on a loop would drive me batty.

I'm so sick of Baby Shark. Ugh. The bane of my existence. There is a way to shut off the sound on those and still let it run. She's a cute baby though. And having fun. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Baby Shark on a loop would drive me batty.

I'm so sick of Baby Shark. Ugh. The bane of my existence. There is a way to shut off the sound on those and still let it run. She's a cute baby though. And having fun. 

Looks like someone already was sick enough of it to try to mute it with tape on the speakers. (Been there, done that)🙃

And, no...some of the cheaper toys don't have off switches for the sound.🙄

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Y Of all the married daughters, Jessa is most dependent on Boob. Bin is a man-child with no ambition or hustle. They need to stay in Boob's good graces to keep that allowance money coming in. It also wouldn't surprise me if Boob's treatment of Jill scared the shit out of Jessa. Daddy casted off his favorite without a second thought, leaving the rest of the unemployed horde scrambling to prove their loyalty and admiration. What a way to live....

And by the looks of it she’s not even being supported that well having three kids in the old mold house. She definitely pulled the short stick on husbands. Ben is such an ambitionless dud like he was raised by Jim Bob himself. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

I only made it in a few minutes out of a 52 minute video. Wondered how in the heck heck she praised such a horrible guy with such a straight face, then realized she's so freaking brainwashed that she actually started to believe that crap. Also, none of the things she mentions are really praise worthy, they are things every father does or should do. Now I know why the girls have such low standards in men.

• Love 20
13 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

That's definitely true. 

Of course, you can do things for people now that don't involve leaving your house.

For kids, especially, you can make videos -- on youtube or just on your phone and then forward them by email  -- just for them. Sing them a song, read them a story, have everybody in your house clown around in a way that's personalized to the kid. Or find some stuff on youtube or elsewhere online that you think the kid would like and put the links in an email with a funny note. 

I think everybody needs stuff like this right now, especially the kids. Plus, it can be a fun thing to do with your kids. "Hey, while we're in quarantine, let's make sure to send a special online greeting to each of your cousins when they have a birthday, okay?" 

It's not like Jessa has so much to do that she doesn't have time for stuff like this. 

Of course, for all we know, she did. I don't make private videos publicly accessible.. Maybe she doesn't either. (yeah, who am I kidding? she's a Duggar...)

It's still unreasonable to think Jessa would do this for every single niece and nephew! She has 14 nieces and nephews and counting! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

It's still unreasonable to think Jessa would do this for every single niece and nephew! She has 14 nieces and nephews and counting! 

I didn't say "do that for every niece and nephew," though.

I said that during this lockdown -- when kids are isolated, confused, frustrated, scared -- it would be a good thing to remember the birthdays of the kids who have them during this period (since they're used to seeing a lot of people up close and now they can't) by sending them a little homemade video of some singing or storytelling or general silliness or an email with some links to something fun....That would take maybe 15 minutes per birthday. And all 14 of them won't have birthdays in the next few months. 

Plus, when you do something like that you're helping your own kids learn that it's a good thing to spend a little time thinking about somebody else -- and doing small, pleasant things for them here and there. Especially in difficult times. 

This would cost no money. And Jessa clearly has the time. We know she does because she constantly makes longwinded videos "teaching" the general public how to cut hair, use an allen wrench, cook unbrowned-hamburger casseroles, and worship at the throne of Jim Bob Duggar. That crap serves no purpose for anyone -- except to let Jessa show off how wonderful she is. 

So that's what she's teaching her kids. Me me me me me me. And me. And no time at all for thee. While at the same time pretending loudly that her deepest value is her big extended family and the "faith" that supposedly led to its creation. 

I know teachers who are making periodic videos for individual students during this lockdown. I'm amazed at the things my own friends and family are digging up online to send to me and others to make us laugh, brighten up the day. I really don't think it's unreasonable at all to spend a little time helping your children reach out to maybe 6 or 7 other children over the course of a few months to let them know they're remembered and not alone. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 18

It seems to me that Jessa would go to a niece's or nephew's birthday party if invited. Singing happy birthday on the phone or letting the kids facetime feels a little easier than going to a party.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I said that during this lockdown -- when kids are isolated, confused, frustrated, scared -- it would be a good thing to remember the birthdays of the kids who have them during this period (since they're used to seeing a lot of people up close and now they can't) by sending them a little homemade video of some singing or storytelling or general silliness or an email with some links to something fun....That would take maybe 15 minutes per birthday. And all 14 of them won't have birthdays in the next few months. 

Plus, when you do something like that you're helping your own kids learn that it's a good thing to spend a little time thinking about somebody else -- and doing small, pleasant things for them here and there. Especially in difficult times. 

This would cost no money. And Jessa clearly has the time. We know she does because she constantly makes longwinded videos "teaching" the general public how to cut hair, use an allen wrench, cook unbrowned-hamburger casseroles, and worship at the throne of Jim Bob Duggar. That crap serves no purpose for anyone -- except to let Jessa show off how wonderful she is. 

So that's what she's teaching her kids. Me me me me me me. And me. And no time at all for thee. While at the same time pretending loudly that her deepest value is her big extended family and the "faith" that supposedly led to its creation. 

I know teachers who are making periodic videos for individual students during this lockdown. I'm amazed at the things my own friends and family are digging up online to send to me and others to make us laugh, brighten up the day. I really don't think it's unreasonable at all to spend a little time helping your children reach out to maybe 6 or 7 other children over the course of a few months to let them know they're remembered and not alone. 

Ding ding ding! Jessa CLEARLY has the time.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I still think it's unreasonable. I think having three kids under five leaves with less time than you think. Her kids can learn to think about others from interactions as siblings. I would hope that they learn to think about people who aren't family, but that's asking a lot from fundies. 

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Do we know Jessa and her family didn’t call or face time with Israel on his birthday?   There might be parts of their lives they don’t post about  I know - hard to imagine!

Nope. We don't know that. As I said earlier, she may well have done that and simply not made it public..... My argument is only that I hope to heck she did because, in these circumstances, it's arguably a good thing to do! 

I admit that I doubt she did, however. Since it seems to me that if she had her brood reach out and be nice to someone she would have done it publicly so she could post it and brag about it. Jessa may be nothing like the way she looks to me. But, that said, she looks to me like Jim Bob in a dress. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11
19 hours ago, Temperance said:

14 nieces and nephews is 2 weeks out of a 52 week year.  What else does she have to do?  There is no reason she and her kids couldn't FaceTime their cousins and wish them a happy birthday or send along an Ecard.   Takes less than 5 minutes per kid, that's just a little over an hour of her oh so valuable time.

• Love 19

Between my kids, their friends and cousins, we were celebrating birthdays a lot when they were younger. Seeing as the Seewald kids don't have many friends outside of their cousins, I probably spent more time at kids' birthday celebrations than Jessa does.

• Love 8

Well Michelle could have made that excuse that she has so many grandkids she doesn't have the time to celebrate everyone's birthday. But she did take the time to celebrate Izzy's birthday. God I can't believe I'm praising Michelle at all but her standing at the window with Josie and bringing over a present for Izzy was very nice, and probably made Jill feel less like an outcast. Certainly Jill seemed really happy about it. 

• Love 23

Not to mention that Spurge and Izzy are around the same age... granted, since the Dillards' banishment, maybe they no longer really see each other, but if they are still in any way friendly, Spurgeon probably would have enjoyed FaceTiming or making Israel a card or whatever.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

14 nieces and nephews is 2 weeks out of a 52 week year.  What else does she have to do?  There is no reason she and her kids couldn't FaceTime their cousins and wish them a happy birthday or send along an Ecard.   Takes less than 5 minutes per kid, that's just a little over an hour of her oh so valuable time.

But we don’t know that she didn’t. 

• Love 7

Saw this on Royal Confessions on Tumblr...

431f57b8ed4f60901ff5f95ae40c65f539bfef64

Don't be doing Marie dirty like that!

Moving along now.

The Duggar family dynamics are just strange. Part of that is the buddy system. Another part is the segregation of children by sex. Then of course you have 19 children competing for affection and attention from a very finite source. There haven't been that many organic friendships amongst the siblings and no wonder. The J'Slaves were a forced quartet and Joy was shoehorned in with them as soon as she needed to be a "proper lady". Then as soon as Jill and Jessa were married, they were forced to be besties because surely singles can no longer mingle with married women. 

While this may be controversial, if Jessa doesn't want to be involved with the Dillards that is completely fine. It's her choice and she does not have to involve family members into her life that she doesn't want.

In reality we don't know what the Seewalds did for Izzy's birthday or if they did anything at all. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
11 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

While this may be controversial, if Jessa doesn't want to be involved with the Dillards that is completely fine. It's her choice and she does not have to involve family members into her life that she doesn't want.

If I saw this as a single choice about the Dillards, it wouldn't bother me. Of course she has a right to be friends with some people and not others, including making such judgments about people in her own family. 

And, of course, I may be dead wrong about Jessa not engineering a birthday phone call or video greeting from the kids to Izzie. She may well have done it privately. 

But.... I've been wondering about why the possibility that Jessa didn't help her kids reach out to a cousin (when they're all in isolation and when, as far as I can tell, cousins are and may continue to be their only options for friendship except for one another) annoys me so much, and I think the reason is this --

Having been raised in a similarly isolating situation, I see how its influence is pervasive in your life, how unhealthy it is -- for you personally and for the world at large --  and how it's likely to persist to at least some degree throughout your life as an automatic, and way unhealthy, set of behaviors.

And I'm pretty sure I see the results of the isolation in the grown-up Duggarlings and apparent evidence that at least some of them -- definitely including Jessa -- are isolating their children in a similar fashion. And certainly not just from cousins. 

Do Jessa's kids have any actual friends? Do Jessa's kids go anywhere where other children play? Are Jessa's kids in learning situations with other kids -- like Sunday school or the regular Wednesday library reading group? Do Jessa's kids play with other kids in the neighborhood? Do Jessa and Bin socialize with other families in situations where two families' kids play together while the adults are chatting or playing darts or whatever? Are there any kids her kids would like to Facetime with while everybody's in isolation? 

Looks highly possible to me that the answer to all these questions is 'For the most part (entirely?), No." 

So, to me -- based on my own experience which appears to be similar in this way -- it seems highly likely that, because Jessa herself is suffering the effects of having been isolated, she's raising her own kids in an isolated way.

And possibly not showing them anything about reaching out to other people beyond the immediate family -- except for repeatedly showing yourself on video to millions of strangers. And that's not the same thing as good socialization. At all.

And -- again, because of how she was raised and because of her strong loyalty to her upbringing -- if she's doing this, she's doing it without realizing there's anything at all problematic about it -- believing that it's not just normal but, because she's a Duggar, that it's the right and righteous way to live. 

I say this because, coming from a similarly isolating background to the Duggars, I know my own very very strong instincts against reaching out to other people. And I have no reason to believe that Duggarlings don't have similar instincts. And I know how hard I've had to fight those instincts to create healthier situations for my family, my own social life and even my career.  

So if some lifelong, unconscious, isolating habits in Jessa are helping create a whole new generation whose habits preclude reaching out to other people, even in extraordinary circumstances, then to me that's one more very sad fact about the lives these little Duggardom kids will be able to live. Another way their potential may be being squashed even now. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12

I think Jessa's nature is to be selfish, regardless of her upbringing. Josh, Jana, Joy and a couple of the older Duggar boys were able to maintain long distance 'relationships' with Pecan Man and some Bates kids. Jessa and some of her other siblings didn't.

And other than the Bates family I'm guessing the Duggar 19's childhoods were more unique than the average and non-average family. Having cameramen in their homes 3 or 4 times a week, having 18 siblings, having their religion being such a focal point and having celebrity status can't be discounted when trying to figure this family out.

Isolation can be physical and/or emotional and there's a huge spectrum. There's families like the Turpins, there's DV situations and there's 'don't share dirty family laundry' environments.

Certainly Jessa's childhood shaped who she is, just like those of her siblings. We are all products of our environments, then and now. Jessa has made conscious efforts to be different from her parents as well as chooses to emulate them in some ways.

If she didn't reach out to her nephew, then IMO, it just reflects on the selfish woman she is.

• Love 6

Have no clue whether or not Jessa did anything for Izzy's birthday. My instinct is probably not, for several reasons: I don't think Jill and Jessa ever really liked each other; I think Jessa would have advertised she did it because she is an attention whore; I think Jessa is the most likely to follow Jim Bob's lead in shunning in Jill; I don't think Jessa gives a shit about anyone but herself and her own kids (I am not sure about if she really gives a shit about Ben), etc. 

That being said, though, I can't really judge Jessa for not doing anything for Izzy's birthday And I say this as someone who intensely dislikes Jessa--only Jeremy and Jinger irritate me more in this crowd.

If she did something for Izzy, that is nice of her. If she did it and didn't advertise it, I am genuinely impressed. I noticed Jill was vague on which aunts and uncles did something for Izzy, and that very well could be an agreed-upon thing between her and her siblings she is in contact with so that they don't appear to be defying Jim Bob. In that case, I can totally see how Jessa may have done something for Izzy, but neither she nor Jill would confirm. Do I think Jessa did that? Likely not but can't rule it out. 

But as someone who has a lot of relatives in varying degrees of estrangement (sometimes I'm the estrangee and sometimes I'm the estranger LOL), I always preferred relatives who didn't pretend that they gave a shit when they didn't give a shit. So, if she and Jill don't get along and she doesn't have a relationship with Izzy, I can see not doing anything for his birthday, even if it is incredibly petty, and Izzy not even noticing or caring. He seems to have had a good birthday with a lot of other people making an effort to reach out to him, and I think he will remember that far more. 

I think a lot of people have also been really scattered with this pandemic. Obviously, I don't think Jessa has a lot of the stressors a lot of people have right now, but I can see how birthday for someone in that humongous family would not be at the forefront of her mind. 

TLDR: Yeah, Jessa is awful, but I feel like not celebrating Izzy's birthday--if she in fact didn't--is really not that big deal in the grand scheme of things. 

• Love 12

talking about birthdays and lack of dugger participation.....i come from a big family...well not 'dugger big' but 6 kids. as adults with about 18 kids between us all, we do not celebrate birthdays together or even holidays for the most part. we love each other and send good wishes but we do not have gatherings together and buy gifts for each other. i cant fault the duggers for the same things that i do.

• Love 6

Jessa did want Jill present during her labor and delivery with Ivy. I think that either Jessa didn't do anything for Izzy, or she wished him happy birthday through video chat and kept that on the down low so that it wouldn't get back to Boob.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Jessa did want Jill present during her labor and delivery with Ivy. 

That's a good point. They may well be closer than they come across. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/9/2020 at 6:19 AM, Churchhoney said:

Jessa may be nothing like the way she looks to me. But, that said, she looks to me like Jim Bob in a dress.

.....a mustard-colored Old Navy knit one. Sized in Tall for modesty.

OK, now I've got the visual of JB on one of those drag queen shows. That would def be a hit.

Is it just me , or does Jessa favor Ivy over the boys? It seems like she's obsessed with her. But she could just be another Lolli...likes the newest model until there's another one.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

If I saw this as a single choice about the Dillards, it wouldn't bother me. Of course she has a right to be friends with some people and not others, including making such judgments about people in her own family. 

And, of course, I may be dead wrong about Jessa not engineering a birthday phone call or video greeting from the kids to Izzie. She may well have done it privately. 

But.... I've been wondering about why the possibility that Jessa didn't help her kids reach out to a cousin (when they're all in isolation and when, as far as I can tell, cousins are and may continue to be their only options for friendship except for one another) annoys me so much, and I think the reason is this --

Having been raised in a similarly isolating situation, I see how its influence is pervasive in your life, how unhealthy it is -- for you personally and for the world at large --  and how it's likely to persist to at least some degree throughout your life as an automatic, and way unhealthy, set of behaviors.

And I'm pretty sure I see the results of the isolation in the grown-up Duggarlings and apparent evidence that at least some of them -- definitely including Jessa -- are isolating their children in a similar fashion. And certainly not just from cousins. 

Do Jessa's kids have any actual friends? Do Jessa's kids go anywhere where other children play? Are Jessa's kids in learning situations with other kids -- like Sunday school or the regular Wednesday library reading group? Do Jessa's kids play with other kids in the neighborhood? Do Jessa and Bin socialize with other families in situations where two families' kids play together while the adults are chatting or playing darts or whatever? Are there any kids her kids would like to Facetime with while everybody's in isolation? 

Looks highly possible to me that the answer to all these questions is 'For the most part (entirely?), No." 

So, to me -- based on my own experience which appears to be similar in this way -- it seems highly likely that, because Jessa herself is suffering the effects of having been isolated, she's raising her own kids in an isolated way.

And possibly not showing them anything about reaching out to other people beyond the immediate family -- except for repeatedly showing yourself on video to millions of strangers. And that's not the same thing as good socialization. At all.

And -- again, because of how she was raised and because of her strong loyalty to her upbringing -- if she's doing this, she's doing it without realizing there's anything at all problematic about it -- believing that it's not just normal but, because she's a Duggar, that it's the right and righteous way to live. 

I say this because, coming from a similarly isolating background to the Duggars, I know my own very very strong instincts against reaching out to other people. And I have no reason to believe that Duggarlings don't have similar instincts. And I know how hard I've had to fight those instincts to create healthier situations for my family, my own social life and even my career.  

So if some lifelong, unconscious, isolating habits in Jessa are helping create a whole new generation whose habits preclude reaching out to other people, even in extraordinary circumstances, then to me that's one more very sad fact about the lives these little Duggardom kids will be able to live. Another way their potential may be being squashed even now. 

And I grew up with a large extended family and think it's normal not to acknowledge everyone's birthday. I also know that someone can aknowledge other people's birthdays and be an incredibly manipulative, damaging person to know. 

The truth about large families is that people grow up form their families and grow apart. That's normal. Not everyone is close to their siblings. In the Duggars world, they were forced to pretend that they were best friends with all their siblings, because that is a teaching of Gothard.  Sometimes all that pressure to be friends poisons the well for real friendships to form. 

As for kids, it's hard to say how much any of these kids understand about the current situation.  The Dillards did get out a little more, but probably life is pretty close to normal.  The Seewalds do seem more isolated and yes they seem like the another generation of this family/group/lifestyle/cult. They used to go visit the TTH more and church on Sundays, but life probably seems close to normal. 

• Love 6

mmm interesting about whether or not she sent a bday gift...It may have to do with how they treat others when they do not go along with the plan...I am also oldest of a family of six..I was never close to any of my siblings. and none of the others were close -except 2 sisters , who had a MAJOR falling out this past fall...as in the one sister did not treat one of the other sisters kids right....so out she went...and they all act like that and they all learned it from my mother...its like  that jane austen movie quote...once ones name is ....blah blah blah...its lost forever...( cannot remember the quote, but mathew mcfayden said it)..anywhoo...my Mom is the worst...once you cross her ...you are voted of the island, never to be invited again...and the rest are following in her footsteps...so maybe Jessa is freezing Jill and family out over Jill and Derick going public with the secrets...

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

I think they can be more stealth than people think. I remember someone snapped a pic of a very pregnant Jessa with her kids and Jill with her boys at a children’s museum about a year ago. I also remember Joy and Jill with Gideon at a Sam’s Club that was documented as well. Jeremiah was over at the Dillard’s the day after Christmas for the gift exchange as well. 

Edited by VioletWitch
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Sooo... they don't call it Easter?

I've seen a fair amount of this on my social media feed over the past few years from people who want to avoid the pagan origins of the name Easter. 

Have the Duggars done this before? I honestly don't remember.