Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

First, I must confess I came up with "Rocket Man" (Elton John) for FJ (certainly a much better answer than "All you need is love").  Second, in the "Letter Perfect" category, the clue was something like "the Air Force name for this letter is the same as an African tribe". Yes, it's ZULU, however, the way I interpreted the clue (and based on the category), the correct answer should be "Z", not "ZULU". He should not have been credit for the correct answer! Am I wrong?

• Love 5
17 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Surprised they didn't BMS President "Johnson."

I'm not.  They've previously accepted "Roosevelt" and "Adams" without requiring the first name, so why should Johnson be any different.  I got snow blindness, yule log and Chekov.  I would've ruled Mariana Trench as incorrect.  I got FJ, sort of as a guess because I wasn't sure if Space Oddity was from '69.

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

First, I must confess I came up with "Rocket Man" (Elton John) for FJ (certainly a much better answer than "All you need is love").  Second, in the "Letter Perfect" category, the clue was something like "the Air Force name for this letter is the same as an African tribe". Yes, it's ZULU, however, the way I interpreted the clue (and based on the category), the correct answer should be "Z", not "ZULU". He should not have been credit for the correct answer! Am I wrong?

I was trying to think of what other answer I would've ruled as incorrect - it was ZULU, because yes, the clue asked for the letter.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I also said Zulu rather than 'Z', and I could maybe justify it by saying that Zulu is the name of the letter in the NATO alphabet ('Z' wouldn't "exist" in that alphabet), but I'm more inclined to agree with you that it should have been incorrect.

• Love 1

I got the TS FJ. The key word was initials. You needed two Shakespeare characters with first and last names. It still took me awhile since I am less familiar with Julius Caesar. But I once I got Julius Caesar, I instantly came up with Juliet Capulet. 

• Love 2

I totally blanked on FJ.  Spent way too much time trying to think of title characters and Caesar never even occurred to me.  It was an excellent clue.

However, I did get Manitoba, Ryder Cup, fronts and Norman Rockwell. 

I'm glad Julia won!  I would totally go to her Dump Truck.

Hooray for Kit Carson!

• Love 5

I was on a nostalgia binge musically this week, and was listening to Alec R. Costandinos' "Romeo & Juliet" just this afternoon, and thee characters' last names were fresh in my mind when FJ was announced! I immediately said Juliet Capulet and Julius Cesaer , and assumed all three would get it right! I was surprised it was a TS!

• Love 2

I just saw last night's game today. I wouldn't have pegged George as a one and done but I'm glad he was one. The Bowie FJ was an instaget.

I immediately thought of you all when Kit Carson showed up.

Same here. I imagined the snickers rippling across our respective time zones.

For TS I got Nevada, the Ryder Cup and the Whitney. I totally misread the clue and thought the two characters had to be in the same play and was totally at a loss.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, helpmerhonda said:

No Jeopardy here. Plane on fire at the airport.

We had a 5-10 minute interruption (early in the show) for a Hillary Clinton press conference.

• Love 2

New champ is one of those So people. I don't care if she gets a Dump Truck, she starts her sentences with "So."

Since lately J! has been using Titus Andronicus as its go-to Shakespeare play, I loudly pronounced Titus Andronicus and Timon of Athens.  What the hell do I know?  Bwaahahahaha. Sometimes, I think I amuse myself a bit too much.

Literally laughed out loud at Carson.

That final clue in DJ - was anyone else confused by its wording? That Justinian/you're hired clue...I kept looking at the cats for an answer. We all said, "Huh?"  (At least, I think that's what they were saying.)

• Love 3

I thought all three players were pretty good. I liked them all too.

I got handicap and Norman Rockwell. For the Geo Washington painter, I said Gilbert instead of Gilbert Stuart. Maybe I'll remember next time.

I didn't get FJ, though I agree it was a great question. I thought about Hamlet and Horatio, but then realized we don't know their last names. So then I went to Romeo and Juliet, and settled on Romeo Montague. I was thinking she took poison while he stabbed himself, but I think I got that backwards. Anyway, I couldn't come up with another RM character. I thought Regan... Lear? Nope. 

I liked Meghan's Dorence/Florenthy story.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That final clue in DJ - was anyone else confused by its wording? That Justinian/you're hired clue...I kept looking at the cats for an answer. We all said, "Huh?"  (At least, I think that's what they were saying.)

Yeah, name a church associated with the Byzantine Empire. There's only one I could think of the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople, now Istanbul...why they changed it I can't say. 

2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

So then I went to Romeo and Juliet, and settled on Romeo Montague. I was thinking she took poison while he stabbed himself, but I think I got that backwards. Anyway, I couldn't come up with another RM character. I thought Regan... Lear? Nope. 

I thought Romeo too, but couldn't remember whether he was stabbed or poisoned (it's been over 20 years since I read it). I then thought of Julius Caesar (who of course was stabbed) and figured maybe it was Juliet Capulet since that worked. I did like that clue though. I suspect Alex figured they'd get it because he gave his usual "Someone's going to make a lot of money today" line. That often signifies a fairly easy clue. It's one of the few times I can recall that all of them missed after he made that remark.   

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I liked Ken even more after hearing about his involvement in the manatee-protection legislation.  I'm sorry he lost. 

Same here.

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

New champ is one of those So people. I don't care if she gets a Dump Truck, she starts her sentences with "So."

Yep.  The "so" was an instant turnoff.

I was screaming "BMS!" at the Kit Carson clue, laughing and thinking of y'all.

I got Norman Rockwell and Sir Walter Raleigh.  I should have gotten more but my excuse is, it's after midnight and I've had a Jack Daniels.

I totally blanked on half of FJ.  I came up with Juliet Capulet but good old Julius wouldn't come to mind.  I don't know why I was so sure of Juliet.  Good clue, though.

• Love 4

So then I went to Romeo and Juliet, and settled on Romeo Montague. I was thinking she took poison while he stabbed himself, but I think I got that backwards

For some reason, Juliet's last lines always stayed in my head - "O happy dagger...This is thy sheath. There rust and let me die".  Heh, and it finally was useful knowledge. 

• Love 3

Kit Carson reappears! I, too, got a nice laugh out of that.

Only TS was Manitoba. For FJ, I thought of Julius Caesar almost immediately, but just couldn't come up with Juliet Capulet. The little hint Alex gave before reading the answers gave it to me and it was a d'oh moment. I should have gotten it. But I did get half the answer, which was more than any of the contestants did.

With the socks category, I thought, wow, a whole category of questions about the Clintons' cat! Don't know why that immediately came to mind. I'm old. I felt a little better when it was one of the questions.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:20 PM, ABay said:

I immediately thought of you all when Kit Carson showed up.

I immediately started thinking of other Carsons.  Came up with Johnny, Ben and Rachel.

I got Julius Caesar right away, and then spent a moment debating about whether or not Juliet Capulet stabbed herself; I decided she did in time to get FJ correct.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I got a few TS today - Sputnik I and LM Montgomery come to mind. I really enjoyed the clues today - snapdragons are my favourite flower and 59th Street Bridge Song is one of my favourites.

I didn't get podcasting, though. I knew the iPod and iTunes were both older than 2005, but I couldn't come up with any reasonable alternative.

• Love 4

I had no idea for FJ.  I did get several TS, including Schuylkill (I had no idea how to pronounce it, and had to look up how to spell it, though), Department of the Interior, Sputnik, horsetail, and The Land That Time Forgot.

I was surprised at Interior and Sputnik being TS.

• Love 3

I remembered how controversial James Watt was back in the day, and I did recall his being Secretary of the Interior. I was too young when Sputnik scared the whole US to recall it firsthand, but I had heard plenty about it through the years. I also recognized the governor's palace at Santa Fe.

No idea of FJ.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 3

Long ago I saw a cartoon of a cross section of a big log. Some of the rings were marked: "1492: Columbus Dicsovers America," etc. The very outermost ring was marked "1981: James Watt Becomes Secretary of the Interior."

• Love 5

For FJ I said streaming but didn't really think it was right.  I knew it wasn't the actual name like iTunes or Spotify.

My ts's were sputnik, LM Montgomery and the land that Time Forgot, plus the missed DD of Quarry.

Congrats to the new champ.

• Love 1

I'm surprised to learn the oldest public building in the country is in New Mexico. Just goes to show my regional bias I guess (grew up in New England)! 

The only TS I got was The Land that Time Forgot but FJ was an instaget. 

Poor Joe got smoked.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 3

I missed the first part of the show (before the first commercial break) because of Trick-or-Treaters. I hope I didn't miss anything good.

I got Department of War, Department of the Interior, The Land That Time Forgot, and Sputnik. I was shocked that no one got Sputnik.

I didn't get FJ. I was thinking that the iPod was older than 2005, and I thought iPod didn't quite fit the question, but I couldn't come up with anything else.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was shocked that no one got Sputnik.

Beach ball, launched, Kazakhstan, 1957. It's a satellite. If you knew that Kazakhastan was the equivalent of Florida for the Soviet space program, it is fairly obvious.   

• Love 3
5 hours ago, sarah82 said:

Alex's comment to the defending champ that she probably does not eat the food she cooks because she is skinny was so rude. I could not believe that comment.

I wonder what he would have said if an overweight contestant had said she had the same hobby. "You obviously love your own cooking"? In fairness to him, though, I never remember him commenting on anyone's size negatively.

• Love 2
Just now, Quickbeam said:

Was yelling at the screen on Werewolves OF London. Warren Zevon, rest in peace. The guy in the center just imploded. Dead eyes after a while like he'd given up. 

I was so glad that AT asked him to repeat that answer, because if they had let that slide it would open the door for all sorts of nearly-correct answers to be allowed in the future.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, SeanC said:

I had to think for a moment before settling on podcasting.

Never having seen/heard(?) a podcast, and nothing diddly about them, that word did not even begin to come to mind.  I said ITunes, even though I was sure it was older than 2005.

I can't stand the new champ, mostly due to how slow she was, and was hoping she would lose.  Oh well, please be a 'one-and-done'!

12 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I'm surprised to learn the oldest public building in the country is in New Mexico. Just goes to show my regional bias I guess (grew up in New England)! 

Santa Fe is the oldest state capital in the country, having been founded in 1610 by the Spanish, after the founding of the first colonies in Virginia, but ten years before the Pilgrims hit Massachusetts.  The Palace of the Governors is a really amazing building. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Santa Fe is the oldest state capital in the country, having been founded in 1610 by the Spanish, after the founding of the first colonies in Virginia, but ten years before the Pilgrims hit Massachusetts.  The Palace of the Governors is a really amazing building. 

I figured it was going to be a Spanish building from the name, but I guessed Florida, thinking of St. Augustine, the oldest Spanish settlement in the continental US.

• Love 3

Vivek hit a DD late in the game and was stuck with a difficult choice for the wager.  He bet relatively small, and although he got the DD, the small bet almost came back to bite him as Thea moved ahead at the end of the round.

Then Thea pulled out an utterly mystifying response in FJ, allowing Vivek to win.

Here's one weird thing about J!: Good players - contestants much better than I would ever be - like Thea, who produce the occasional response that strikes me as completely bone-headed.

What is France?!?!?!?!?

• Love 6