Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I said Albania immediately, and then spent the rest of the time wondering if it counted as "North Atlantic". I figured if Italy counted, Albania should.

France was a pretty mind-boggling answer, though. I would hate to go down like that, so I felt bad for Thea, although I really wasn't such a fan of her.

• Love 1

Vivek was pretty quick on the buzzer and quick with the answers.  Congrats to him for the win.

I said Belarus for FJ - If Albania had come to mind I would have gone with that, maybe.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

Here's one weird thing about J!: Good players - contestants much better than I would ever be - like Thea, who produce the occasional response that strikes me as completely bone-headed.

What is France?!?!?!?!?

Maybe she's a Conehead, not a bonehead.  Because then it would be a perfectly logical answer.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Between "Gwyneth Paltrow? ....... (LONGEST PAUSE EVER)......" *BUZZ* and "What is France?" (SERIOUSLY?), I am so glad to see that woman lose. Vivek seems good.

Thea did that yesterday too on a DD -- not only did she get the answer wrong, but she also didn't phrase it in the form of a question.

For FJ, I guessed Albania, but just wasn't sure that Albania had joined NATO.

Reminds me of a line from Coach on 'Cheers': 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, YoureSoUrban said:

So sad Denver missed that Aaron Burr Got Milk? ad. It's a classic.

My mother (with whom I watch J!) could not understand why I couldn't stop going "Eh-uh UH! Eh-uh UH!" Like the guy in the commercial. (That's a terrible transliteration, but if you've seen it, you know what I was doing.) 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I wonder what he would have said if an overweight contestant had said she had the same hobby. "You obviously love your own cooking"? In fairness to him, though, I never remember him commenting on anyone's size negatively.

H did that at least once. It was the first time I realized what a dick he is. That was really early in his run. A contestant was talking about cooking, and Alex said, "Well, you obviously like to eat." Ugh.

France was such a bad answer I wonder if she didn't read the part of the clue about the alphabet. I don't know what else she could've been thinking. I got Albania right away, and when I saw both the male contestants had it right I assumed she would too. 

I despise NASCAR so was surprised I ran the category. 

I learned hippocrepiform, which I'd never heard before, so I learned something today.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, teebax said:

France was such a bad answer I wonder if she didn't read the part of the clue about the alphabet. I don't know what else she could've been thinking

Given that France is a founding member of NATO eve if she missed the alphabet part it was still ridiculous.

• Love 6

Congrats to Vivek.  He can stay around awhile.  I liked Denver's bowtie.

The only TS I got was opium.

FJ took me a minute, but I got it in plenty of time.  Thea obviously doesn't know what the Warsaw Pact was.  France was a total GG (Goofy Guess).

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Jesse said:

My mother (with whom I watch J!) could not understand why I couldn't stop going "Eh-uh UH! Eh-uh UH!" Like the guy in the commercial. (That's a terrible transliteration, but if you've seen it, you know what I was doing.) 

I remembered the ad but did not pick up on Aaron Burr from the clue. I thought of Louis Pasteur. I got Hawaiian Punch and opium. The Hawaiian Punch ads were classics in their day, but they were a long time ago. "Before the contestants' time" occurred to me. No clue about most of the Nascar drivers.

I got Albania and was bewildered by "France." What was the Cheers reference?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

France??!! France??!! 

I was going to post exactly this.  She obviously had no idea what the Warsaw Pact was, or even where Warsaw is.  I mean, she could've at least come up with an Eastern European country.

"Got Milk?" will always be Aaron Burr.  Always.

I despise NASCAR so was surprised I ran the category. 

Me too.  I've obviously picked it up through osmosis.

I think the only TS I missed was hippocrepiform. 

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7

I had no idea about the "Got Milk?" ad and don't think I've ever seen it.  Will look it up on YT.

I buy Hawaiian Punch single serve packets and have a glass almost every night.  And I sing "Fruit Juicy, Hawaiian Punch."  If the cat is around I will sing "Fruit Juicy, kitty punch." 

Edited to add I looked up the commercial on YT and I have never seen it. 

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 2

I'll never be able to think of Albania and not think of Coach!  I'll also never forget that Albania borders on the Adriatic.  And its chief export is chrome.

I groaned when I saw the NASCAR category, but was surprised to actually come up with a couple of the answers. I thought I knew nothing about NASCAR, but apparently I know next to nothing.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I remembered the ad but did not pick up on Aaron Burr from the clue. I thought of Louis Pasteur.

Same here. That was a great ad and I remember it fondly, but didn't get it from the clue at all.

• Love 2

I also ran the NASCAR category even though I never watched a race my entire life. Guess I just picked up the knowledge on the news. On a shallow note, those racers are PRETTY on the eyes :) 

Edited by JunebugWA
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, rhys said:

Why was Denver yelling?

The second he opened his mouth, I figured, "That guy MUST have been a football coach." He just looked and sounded the part. So I felt very vindicated when that was confirmed during his interview segment.

Vivek seemed so nervous, it made me a bit uncomfortable. I hope he relaxes a bit more during his 2nd game.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Given that France is a founding member of NATO eve if she missed the alphabet part it was still ridiculous.

Right. That's why I said I have no idea what she was thinking. It was a terrible answer.

• Love 1

Maybe she thought the clue asked for the founding members of NATO? In which case, alphabetically, it would have been Belgium. So...no props. I did get FJ! and now have a Coach ear-bug; thanks a lot, ottoDbusdriver :), but Albania was an educated guess... except I would have written ? or "Hi Michelle Obama, I love you" rather than guessed France.

• Love 2

I don't get somebody who would know the name David O. Selznick but not that he was a producer.  Anyway, that was an easy get, both because of the 'depth' line (referring to the revolutionary deep focus cinematography in Citizen Kane) and the reference to him being a voice actor.

• Love 7

I was hoping the fellow on the end would pull it out and win the game but it was not to be.  He did rack up a pretty good score but got FJ wrong.  Well, Vivek is a good champion so I'm okay that he won.

I didn't write down any ts's tonight - I'm not even sure I got any.  I said Vincent Fox instead of Vicente Fox.

I pre-called Orson Welles and Alfred Hitchcock for FJ so it wasn't too much of a stretch to get it right.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, SeanC said:

Anyway, that was an easy get, both because of the 'depth' line (referring to the revolutionary deep focus cinematography in Citizen Kane) and the reference to him being a voice actor.

Me too. I actually knew it from watching Animaniacs as a kid. The Brain was a take on both the voice and the egocentric nature of Orson Welles. I didn't realize until later that the "Yes, Always" episode that I thought was completely random was actually a sanitized version of a frustrating series of voice-overs by Orson Welles about frozen peas, fish fingers, and burgers. 

Animaniacs - Yes, Always

Orson Welles (NSFW) - Frozen Peas

Edited by DrScottie
Added links to Animaniacs and Frozen Peas
  • Love 2

I knew "Faint heart" (missed DD).

I thought FJ was easy and was surprised two people missed it--with GG's yet! I well remember Welles's Paul Masson ads: "Sell no wine before its time!" Hitchcock would have been a much better guess. Frank Capra??? How many people even know what he sounded like?

• Love 3

I got bolt action and Mozart in the Jungle. For FJ I said John Ford. I didn't pick up from the clue that it referred to the director's voice; I thought it had to do with the quality of the movie, esp closer to silent film times. I'll have to look at the FJ clue again to see how I missed it.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I got bolt action and Mozart in the Jungle. For FJ I said John Ford. I didn't pick up from the clue that it referred to the director's voice; I thought it had to do with the quality of the movie, esp closer to silent film times. I'll have to look at the FJ clue again to see how I missed it.

Copied from Fikkle Fame: EW’S 50 Greastest Mmovie Directors: He “inaugurated a new depth–both visually…and emotionally… and (had) a voice that paid the bills until he died”

• Love 2
10 hours ago, SeanC said:

I don't get somebody who would know the name David O. Selznick but not that he was a producer. 

Ooh, that's me, I'm afraid! I know the name from being on the box of my grandmother's Gone with the Wind VHS set, but I didn't know what his job was. That being said, if I hadn't come up with Orson Welles, I would not have gone with Selznick.

• Love 2

I think maybe you'd have to be "of a certain age" to remember that Welles did commercials although the 3rd place guy was older. Maybe he wasn't old enough. But it's different sitting on the couch or recliner than standing there trying to think. I'm old as dirt so I came up with it immediately. 

• Love 4

I'm old as dirt too, and I remember those commercials, but I didn't come up with it.

9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Copied from Fikkle Fame: EW’S 50 Greastest Mmovie Directors: He “inaugurated a new depth–both visually…and emotionally… and (had) a voice that paid the bills until he died”

Thanks. Yeah, I took the reference to his voice as figurative, meaning his voice as a director. I was just trying to think of an old director, one who worked until the day he died, although it turns out I was wrong about Ford making movies until he died. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I might've gotten that if my Fox channel had ever aired Jeopardy last night.  It looks like it was at least a more difficult one than they've mostly been this season.

I mocked those Paul Masson commercials for years.  ("So can you direct me to some wine that you'll sell me right now?" being a favorite.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, HelenBaby said:

I think maybe you'd have to be "of a certain age" to remember that Welles did commercials although the 3rd place guy was older. Maybe he wasn't old enough. But it's different sitting on the couch or recliner than standing there trying to think. I'm old as dirt so I came up with it immediately. 

I don't remember the commercials (I'm 30) but I still knew the answer. Welles acted and his voice was very distinctive so that combined with the category was enough for me to answer confidently.

• Love 3

I read this thread before I watched the game, so knew FJ.  I don't know that I would have gotten it, despite having a B.A. in Cinema Studies, having seen Citizen Kane many times (and I hate it) and remembering Orson Welles' commercials.

• Love 1

I'm over Vivek.  The waving hi during the intros (and now the final, too) was mildly annoying, but the fist pump was just uncool.  (I know we all have different opinions on these things, but I prefer the 'act like you've been there before' school of thought for both end zone celebrations and Final Jeopardy.)

• Love 6

Entertainment Weekly’s 50 Greatest Movie Directors: He “inaugurated a new depth–both visually…and emotionally…and [had] a voice that paid the bills until he died”

I didn't get to see this because of baseball. That EW article is 20 years old, so it's kind of an interesting pick for the FJ category.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I didn't get to see this because of baseball. That EW article is 20 years old, so it's kind of an interesting pick for the FJ category.

I guess the clue writers were reluctant to mention the date in order to try and throw off people, but still I don't remember this article at all when it came out.

I suppose I need to spend more time reading old magazines at the dentist office.

• Love 5