Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

21 minutes ago, operalover said:

In Italian it's Le Mura when referring to city walls that encircle something- it's one of these weird plural article with singular ending...instead of Le mure - that is how it is usually it is - the article Le is plural so the noun should also end in "e" not A but it is irregular  "Le Mura". IL MURO means a regular wall in a house and a group of house walls would be I MURI..and LE MURA means an ancient city wall.  So the spanish was El Muro so It looked like Wall to me but made no sense to me! It's so complicated! Then throw in Alex with the French and I'm having quite an intellectual exercise, Pret a Porter People!!!

And somehow I always read that as Port-a-Pottie the first time through. Languages are complicated beasts, which is why translation is so darned difficult, and good translations are hard to find. (pats self on back, my daughter is a translator, mummy is very proud)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

I was a translator for awhile. I would like to do it again, particularly to translate Italian websites into English, because some of them are just terrible. It's always easier to translate from your acquired language into your native tongue than vice-versa.  Congrats on your smart daughter!! 

• Love 3

Donna drove me insane by forgetting to phrase her answers as a question. 

Same here. At least once she corrected herself we indicated to me she knew she had screwed up. 

She didn't HAVE to, at least in the Spanish category.  The answers were already questions.    That's been covered numerous times over the years on Jeopardy.

If that's the case I'm surprised Alex didn't set up the category with that exception, like he clarifies other categories. He also paused after Donna's responses, which made me think he was waiting for a ruling. 

I don't think I got any TS but I got FJ on a guess, figuring that was appropriate for Seward's time. 

I'm glad Chuck won.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 7:20 PM, Roaster said:

Admirably large wager by Donna on the final DD, and she knew it was a monarch named The Unready.  The only Unready I can think of was Ethelred or Æthelred.

Donna apparently knows a William the Unready, but that wasn't right.

I was practically screaming Aethelred the Unready at my tv.  His son is the beginning of my being able to list the kings/queens of England (Edward the Confessor to Elizabeth II).

If that's the case I'm surprised Alex didn't set up the category with that exception, like he clarifies other categories. He also paused after Donna's responses, which made me think he was waiting for a ruling. 

The phrases were already questions, so I was fine with how she was answering.  And I knew FJ immediately.  Yay, me! ;-)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Thank goodness Kat! didn't win.  I would rather have seen Chuck win again, since Georjean (that looks wrong -- is that how she spells it?) was a tad slow in choosing clues, but at least Kat! lost.

FJ was an instaget for me, but I have been to Salt Lake City and seen the monument to the gulls. 

Minions as a TS surprised me and made me a little sad.  I also got Mess and Alberta.

• Love 5

I liked Chuck, was hoping he would win again.  But, I too am glad Kat! didn't win!

I thought the game seemed a little slow but they all racked up some good money so it was fairly even.

My ts's were Mediterranean, Mess, and Alberta.

I was another who went with Nevada for FJ, for no good reason other than that it's next to California.

• Love 2
On 11/4/2016 at 9:57 PM, The Wild Sow said:

I have no idea why this empty quote box is here.

I'm sorry to see Chuck go.  Georjean needs to pick up the pace tomorrow, but congrats to her.    I'm so glad Kat (! - ugh) didn't win.  Why was she lying on her podium the entire time?  Stand up!!!!

I got Robert Ludlum, mess, Andy Weir, concordance and Alberta.

I took a wild guess for FJ and got it correct, mainly because of the Great Salt Lake.

• Love 5

I couldn't figure out why Kat was leaning on the Podium.  It seemed like it was only when she was working the buzzer.  She stood up straight in between.  Does she have a weak wrist or something?  Anyway, she didn't win so I guess it doesn't matter.  Georjean was a surprise.  From third place to champ.  Congrats to her for getting FJ.  I had no idea, but guessed Nevada along with the other losers.

• Love 2

Count me in for the Nevada guess. I have no idea why, except its proximity to California. 

Kat drove me nuts, plus I got dumped once by a Kat, so I can't root for anyone with that name. It's ruined for me.

Off topic: I need to settle down and get married. I'm running out of names to date!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, opus said:

Did anyone else apparently get Tuesdays ep? At the beginning Alex said it was Election Day, and at the end said the Teen Tournament starts tomorrow.

So glad you said this -- I thought I was going crazy! On Fri Chuck won and today I'm like who the heck is Georgejean(sp?)?? 

• Love 1

I keep up with this forum, but don't post, but I had to say how much I love coming on here to read about how everyone else was bothered by the same people that drive me nuts. Kat! was almost unwatchable. She was like the embodiment of every annoying quirk people have had over the years. 

I was shocked no one knew Andy Weir, or the Minions. I knew FJ before Alex finished the clue. I'm not even sure where/when I learned it, but it stuck.

On a non episode related note, I actually live in Carson City. Seeing everyone's comments about the episodes with Kit Carson are seriously the best. 

• Love 3

Kat! also had a Valley Girl voice.

I knew FJ before AT finished reading the clue because when I was a kid I lived in NYC and they had a TV channel (before Turner) that showed classic movies 7 days a week: The Enchanted Cottage, Portrait of Jennie, et al. And Brigham Young starring Tyrone (be still my heart) Power. It's been years but I can still picture the gulls eating the crickets.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, purplex15 said:

On a non episode related note, I actually live in Carson City. Seeing everyone's comments about the episodes with Kit Carson are seriously the best. 

Sorry, can you be more specific?

• Love 10

Kat! was a real weirdo. I was distracted the whole time by wondering how the PTV boards were going to react to her (my guess: very unfavorably. Ding ding!). What was WITH the LEANING? Bitch needs to do some planks or something. The whole thing had a "well, lemme tell ya the answer, Trebek, it's ________" feel to it, which is just gross and wrong. Have some dignity, woman, you are on a quiz show. Judge Judy would never tolerate that leaning.

• Love 12

I do the same thing! Can't wait to see what you all think (we mostly think alike!) when there's someone irritating to me.

Board hoppers, crazy clickers, affectations of any kind.....

Kat! had to go or I was out until she was gone.

Judge Judy would never tolerate that leaning.

I love this! You are so right!

• Love 3

Off topic: I need to settle down and get married. I'm running out of names to date!

Ah Teebax...my dad has been remarried twice since my mom died (wives #2 and #3 died as well, long story). The wives both shared names with other members of our family. Talked to dad the other night and he's dating contestant #4, who has the same name as both an aunt of mine AND my mom's best friend! Moral of the story: don't be afraid to recycle those names :)

Georjean, though, speaking of names--a Katie Lee-level drony voice. I'm sure she's a lovely lady but my money's on one-hit wonder. 

• Love 5

I thought Kat! was leaning because she couldn't see the clues.  Still annoying, but she was also squinting, so I remembered other people who have been on the show and mentioned that the clues aren't as easy to see from the podiums as you might prefer.  

Desperately grateful she didn't win, though!  I don't seem to be getting any episode for Election Day, not even one tomorrow morning.  I'm disappointed by that, and confused that the Teen Tournament is starting in the middle of the week.  Anyone know why?

• Love 1

Jeopardy is supposed to air as normal for me before election coverage starts and, though it may deserve criticism at times, I am especially grateful tonight for that little oasis of celebrating facts and knowledge.

• Love 4

As we figured, Georjean was a one and done.  I was impressed with her recovery from being in the red but FJ did her in.

Stephanie made  a lot of wrong guesses.

My ts's were sagas, mums, topaz, Studebaker and Sappho.

My answer for FJ was the same as Georjean's - a question mark. I just had no idea except that it wasn't Canada.

• Love 1

Good grief! I wanted Allon to win because he never said "uhhhhh!" or "ahhhhh," before choosing a clue or answering a clue. Wish contestants would be more aware of that vocal crutch. You may need a second to answer or choose a category but there is no need to grunt your way to it.

14 hours ago, Trey said:

As we figured, Georjean was a one and done.  I was impressed with her recovery from being in the red but FJ did her in.

Stephanie made  a lot of wrong guesses.

My ts's were sagas, mums, topaz, Studebaker and Sappho.

My answer for FJ was the same as Georjean's - a question mark. I just had no idea except that it wasn't Canada.

I didn't come up with Studebaker in time but got the rest.  I did get FJ at the last second as a wild guess, but no way would I have had time to write it down.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Roaster said:

Yes, the scheduling of the Teen Tournament is surprising.  Starting on a Wednesday and ending on a Tuesday (Nov 22, according to the J! website.)

I don't know their reasoning, although @opus is probably right, but I know they've done it before.

5 minutes ago, SeanC said:

The Hope Diamond?

Right?  I get that these kids are young but I think I would have figured out the Statue of Liberty from the clue when I was 16.

I picked Lily at the beginning for no real reason.  Nice to be right about something occurring in Washington for a change this week.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Some portion of the audience must actually like Teen Tournaments.   J! continues to have the tournaments so the ratings must be OK.  I don't know who these people are, but they must exist.

It's my fault... I don't like it, but watched it anyway (because I missed Monday and Tuesday, and need my fix!!).

At least he pronounced Euler right!

• Love 4

That kid Porter was annoying as all get out.  Yeah, the Hope Diamond?  Huh?

These Teen Tournaments make me feel smart unless they have pop culture categories, then I turn into the old fogey I am.  "It was after my time."

I got a boat load of TS and the instaget FJ.

• Love 7

Darien, CT, is a pretty wealthy area. I think his parents should ask for a refund for his tuition. Wow, he had some terrible responses!

I skip the kids' tournament, which is a little too precious for me, but I am guilty of watching the teen tourney. It makes me feel smart. Will this be followed by another tournament, or will we be back to regular games when it's over?

• Love 2

FJ: Name the US famous landmark that was a gift from France? You should learn that in middle school. Hope Diamond, Fail. 

1 minute ago, teebax said:

I skip the kids' tournament, which is a little too precious for me, but I am guilty of watching the teen tourney. It makes me feel smart. Will this be followed by another tournament, or will we be back to regular games when it's over?

I stopped watching the kids tournament after the Emancipation Proclamation incident. Calling out a kid on national television for a spelling mistake just seems cruel. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, teebax said:

It was filmed at the same time (April) as the already aired teachers' and "power players" games, so I think we're back to regular games.

The Hope Diamond, of course, resides in DC. My money's* on him having visited it before the taping.

*Just the penny on the floor behind the chair, though.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

These Teen Tournaments make me feel smart unless they have pop culture categories, then I turn into the old fogey I am.  "It was after my time."

Me too. There was the one clue where the answer was Minecraft, and I didn't know half the words in the clue.

I got a boat load of TS and the instaget FJ.

Yeah, I got too many to count.

Americana. Then there's Paris in the clue. What else would it be other than the Statue of Liberty? "The Hope Diamond" made me literally slap my hands over my face.

BTW, in the Three Consonants category where the answer was 'pamphlet,' I said portfolio. Would that have been accepted? (My sister mocked me for wondering.)

• Love 5