Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Congratulations to Rachel! Good game overall.

I knew rookery, William Jennings Bryan, Dalmatia, taskmaster, and Pravda.

I wasn't sure about FJ until Alex did his funny voice. I don't know why that gave it away because I've never seen Winnie the Pooh cartoons.

• Love 3

My husband was wearing a tuxedo at our wedding, Rachel, and didn't have his wallet handy, and he couldn't get a beer at the bar because he was TWENTY.  So your attire was no proof of your age.

Sorry.  There is something about her that rubs me the wrong way.

• Love 4

Was that meant to be an Eeyore voice?  It wasn't a very good one.  I easily got FJ without the stupid voice. 

I didn't take Rachel's story to mean that her dress was supposed to be proof of age -- I took it as more of a, "Do you see a purse?  Or pockets?  Where exactly do you think I'm carrying my ID?" kind of thing.  That said, I'm not a huge fan, either.  Not sure what it is about her.

I managed to get rookery, pudding, Dalmatia, taskmaster and Pravda.  I said trifle instead of parfait, although parfait occurred to me. 

• Love 5

The TS I got were parfait, Dalmatia, Dr. Zaius and Pravda.

FJ was way too easy for the regular Jeopardy game -- come on, that was kid's tournament easy without AT's goofy voice.

Congrats to our new champ Rachel !

Just now, M. Darcy said:

Oh, come on. It was a way too easy FJ and Alex gave away the answer doing the bad impression.

And obviously none of them watch the Simpsons or they would have gotten Dr Zaius. 

I was chanting 'Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius, help me Dr. Zaius'

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I managed to get rookery, pudding, Dalmatia, taskmaster and Pravda.  I said trifle instead of parfait, although parfait occurred to me. 

I said trifle too.  Was rookery a ts? If so, then I got it although just in the nick of time.  Also got Dalmatia, taskmaster and Pravda. 

My first thought for FJ was The Velveteen Rabbit (I've never read it) but I quickly switched to Eeyore.

Loved the audience reaction to I Like Big Bucks.

Rachel seems okay, I'll give her another game before I decide.

• Love 5

That's one of the easiest FJs I've ever seen. Strangely enough, Winnie-the-Pooh was an answer in the Jeopardy! audition test I took in New York last month. 

Got Dalmatia (come on spotted!), pudding, taskmaster, and Pravda. I figured the Chess piece was the Rook, but couldn't think of the other part of the word. 

Is it just me or does Rachel resemble and sound like Ariel Winter (Alex Dunphy) from Modern Family if she went on Jeopardy!?

• Love 6

No Jeopardy! for me last night but at least the Cubbies won!

Man, I can't stand "Um, so" "I'm so young" smirking Rachel.  I hope she flames out tomorrow.

I got pudding, Dalmatia, taskmaster, Alibaba and Pravda.

I answered FJ before Alex was finished reading it in his hideously lame "voice".  Way too easy for FJ.

• Love 7

Me three for trifle.  And if they'd judged it wrong, I'd have been waving my hand without even waiting for the commercial break and disputing the call like creepy old Pranjal (ah, memories!).

Bye, Vivek.  Didn't like you from the start.  Haven't much liked any of them the last week.  Wish they had trapdoors under all the podiums that I controlled from my couch.  That would be a fun show!

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Me three for trifle.  And if they'd judged it wrong, I'd have been waving my hand without even waiting for the commercial break and disputing the call like creepy old Pranjal (ah, memories!).

I did think of trifle but can see why it would probably have been judged wrong; a trifle bowl isn't especially tall and thin.

Had I said "plum pudding" instead of just "pudding," would I have been wrong?

• Love 5
1 minute ago, GreekGeek said:

I did think of trifle but can see why it would probably have been judged wrong; a trifle bowl isn't especially tall and thin.

Thinner than what, though?  Thinner than a compote dish--that was the comparison.  I say you could find lots of trifle bowls that are thinner than compote dishes.  And definitely taller.  I'm still waving my hand in protest over here.  ;o)

33 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

Is it just me or does Rachel resemble and sound like Ariel Winter (Alex Dunphy) from Modern Family if she went on Jeopardy!?

I'm guessing that Ariel Winter would be fairly horrified at the comparison.  She seems very much into being a hot babe in her real-life persona.  (I know this because I saw it in one of those sidebar thumbnail photos on an entertainment site earlier today.)

• Love 2

Bye, Vivek.  Didn't like you from the start. 

Me neither; his clicker mania was just too much. As for Rachel, maybe it was the fit of her top but she just looked sloppy to me.

I think the lady on the end should have gotten a BMS for "Allen" since that could be a first or last name.

The TS I got were taskmaster, Dr. Zaius and Pravda, and Alex handed us FJ on a platter.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

As for Rachel, maybe it was the fit of her top but she just looked sloppy to me.

J's featured several gals lately who've looked like they were going to scrub the floor after the show. LOL

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't take Rachel's story to mean that her dress was supposed to be proof of age -- I took it as more of a, "Do you see a purse?  Or pockets?  Where exactly do you think I'm carrying my ID?" kind of thing. 

Me too. Also, she was the bride, so the story was amusing because she was being denied a drink at her own wedding.

Ditto to all of that (except I said rook instead of rookery, so I was wrong there). I love making trifles, so my mind went there immediately, but, yes, a parfait glass is tall and slender.

I also got Alibaba.

I hated Alex doing the Eeyore voice. That's too much of a big ol' hint.

It was weird when he said "Oh OK" for the "OOK" category. I was glad that the contestant pronounced it like it should be pronounced.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I hated Alex doing the Eeyore voice. That's too much of a big ol' hint.

Does anybody need a hint for Eeyore from Winnie-the-Pooh? I didn't watch it the first time as I accidentally forwarded through his reading on my DVR. No, Alex, it wasn't your impression, it was the clue being one of the most obvious ever! 

24 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It was weird when he said "Oh OK" for the "OOK" category. I was glad that the contestant pronounced it like it should be pronounced.

Me too. 

• Love 3

Had I said "plum pudding" instead of just "pudding," would I have been wrong?

I don't think so because I said plum pudding, too, having been in a musical rendition (Panto) of A Christmas Carol 2 years ago. I mean, if I had said duck for goose, maybe that would have been wrong, but Mrs. C made a PLUM pudding, not a vanilla pudding or a rice pudding or a butterscotch pudding or a Carson pudding!

Edited by Mystery Author
  • Love 5

I said figgy pudding, but I was thinking of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and not "A Christmas Carol." I don't even know what figgy pudding is.

For that matter, I don't think I had ever heard of compote before. I only knew the answers from the clues themselves.

Edited by DrScottie
Refining my ignorance with respect to desserts
  • Love 2

Oh, I also said plum pudding. I was thinking that would be accepted -- but who really knows with these judges -- however, the clue said something like "like what Mrs Crachet made," so if she didn't make a plum pudding, maybe my answer would be wrong.

9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Does anybody need a hint for Eeyore from Winnie-the-Pooh? I didn't watch it the first time as I accidentally forwarded through his reading on my DVR. No, Alex, it wasn't your impression, it was the clue being one of the most obvious ever! 

I'm not sure. I think all of us have thought various clues were the easiest ever and then been shocked when a contestant didn't get it, so it's possible that one of them would have struggled more without Alex's voice to prompt them.

• Love 2

I picked up on Alex's Eeyore voice immediately, so I thought it was a huge clue. I still would have gotten it, but it was an instaget because of the impression (which I thought wasn't bad, actually!).

Parfait, taskmaster and Pravda were TS. I thought all three were pretty easy. Shocked me that none of them knew Pravda. Before their time, maybe??

I liked Rachel's wedding story. It looked like Alex wanted to make one of his lame remarks after she told it, but couldn't come up with one. I've never seen anyone leave Alex speechless before, so she gets major points for that!

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'm not sure. I think all of us have thought various clues were the easiest ever and then been shocked when a contestant didn't get it, so it's possible that one of them would have struggled more without Alex's voice to prompt them.

if I was in 2nd or 3rd with a chance to win, I would've been perturbed that Alex went out of his way to make the answer so obvious.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I said figgy pudding, but I was thinking of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and not "A Christmas Carol." I don't even know what figgy pudding is.

I always think of the Muppets Christmas movie, where Miss Piggy gets upset at that song because she thinks it's "piggy pudding"  Kermit tells her, "no, it's figgy pudding, it's made with figs...and bacon."

• Love 2
12 hours ago, just prin said:

Blasphemy!

images[4].jpg

Okay, better way to put it (because I was happy that the Cubs finally won): Damn you, Fox 45, for not running Jeopardy at a time when I could watch it, or at least telling me when that time might be!  ;-)

• Love 4
15 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Congratulations to Rachel! Good game overall.

I knew rookery, William Jennings Bryan, Dalmatia, taskmaster, and Pravda.

I wasn't sure about FJ until Alex did his funny voice. I don't know why that gave it away because I've never seen Winnie the Pooh cartoons.

I missed the category for the William Jennings Bryant answer and was trying to make it fit the "TIA" one (I think), but politics isn't my strong point so I wouldn't have gotten it anyway.  I did get the rest.

FJ was a gimme 'cause my dad LOVED Eeyore.  He did a better Eeyore voice than Alex, though.

15 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Oh, come on. It was a way too easy FJ and Alex gave away the answer doing the bad impression.

And obviously none of them watch the Simpsons or they would have gotten Dr Zaius. 

I said Cornelius, because it's been a long time since I've seen either the movies or that Simpsons episode.  Then I had a version of Rock Me Amadeus with Dr. Zaius replacing Amadeus stuck in my head for hours - was that something from the Simpsons?  It seems like it should be. 

(Thanks, ottoDbusdriver for posting that video - I knew it sounded like something Troy McClure should be singing.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

Did the Punctuation Princess like the SEMI-colon?  Are we now pronouncing it smicoLON?  I couldn't see that ugly tat/brand thing because of the #JEOPARDY hashtag that inhabits the lower left side of my screen, and I couldn't understand what the heck she was saying.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Scott said:

The waving hi during the intros ... was mildly annoying

And of course all three of them do it yesterday.

Not a fan of the new champ, either.  Not a fan of the stupid category names, not a fan of Alex's attempt at Eeyore.  It's a good thing I like the show so much, else I'd really hate it...

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Did the Punctuation Princess like the SEMI-colon?  Are we now pronouncing it smicoLON?  I couldn't see that ugly tat/brand thing because of the #JEOPARDY hashtag that inhabits the lower left side of my screen, and I couldn't understand what the heck she was saying.

I didn't actually understand what she was saying each time she referred to it. I wasn't sure if she was just pronouncing it strangely, or mumbling. We even rewound to listen again and didn't understand it, even when we knew which word she was saying.

• Love 1

Admirably large wager by Donna on the final DD, and she knew it was a monarch named The Unready.  The only Unready I can think of was Ethelred or Æthelred.

Donna apparently knows a William the Unready, but that wasn't right.

• Love 3

Congrats to the new champ. I liked him best of the contestants.

I didn't know FJ.

My ts's were (Blinded by) the Right, Woodrow Wilson and the missed DD of Ethelred the Unready.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

Admirably large wager by Donna on the final DD, and she knew it was a monarch named The Unready.  The only Unready I can think of was Ethelred or Æthelred.

Donna apparently knows a William the Unready, but that wasn't right.

Kit the Unready ??

And Rachel is a one and done -- she was really unimpressive in the Jeopardy round, but came back in the DJ round.

I did not get FJ.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

Yay, Chuck!  Congrats.  Donna drove me insane by forgetting to phrase her answers as a question.  Bu bye Rachel.  Alex, next time you want to be so impressed with a youngun (she's not that young, just acts like a teenager) save it for the Teen Tournament.

A clue with V&A in it and the answer is Victoria and Albert?  WTH writers?

I didn't get any TS.  *hangs head in shame*

I got FJ but don't know if I'd have had time to write it down.

2 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Kit the Unready ??

The Unready Carson??

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yay, Chuck!  Congrats.  Donna drove me insane by forgetting to phrase her answers as a question.  

I'm surprised that they gave Donna that horribly mangled answer to the SNL 'Not Ready for Primetime Players' answer.  Plus it was in the DJ round, so he should have ruled her wrong -- or asked her to rephrase it.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

To be fair, the Spanish category was slightly ridiculous, because the answers WERE questions already. Was she supposed to say "What is What is your name?" In that specific instance, I forgive her phrasing. Although she did forget several other times in other categories, which annoys me.

• Love 8

I had "blinded by the Right" and I just guessed at that, I never heard of the book. And right before they revealed the answer I said Emancipation Proclamation but I had no idea why I said that. The "who pays for the wall?" was so weird for the spanish question. I said Who Pays for the wall? but I was pretty sure I was wrong because it made no sense.  I figured El Muro must have another meaning besides wall....

What really annoyed me was Alex on the Pret a Porter answer. The first guy says "off the rack" wrong..then the lady says "ready to wear" correct so alex says yes READY TO WEAR --- PRET A PORTER!!! as if we all know french and what the words actually mean. I do know french and what they mean and that is why it was so stupid! He just wanted to say Pret a Porter again! Uck!

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, operalover said:

What really annoyed me was Alex on the Pret a Porter answer. The first guy says "off the rack" wrong..then the lady says "ready to wear" correct so alex says yes READY TO WEAR --- PRET A PORTER!!! as if we all know french and what the words actually mean. I do know french and what they mean and that is why it was so stupid! He just wanted to say Pret a Porter again! Uck!

I'm surprised AT didn't admonish him to remember the category since ready was in quotes ("ready").

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got FJ but don't know if I'd have had time to write it down.

Every time I see that answer of the Emancipation Proclamation, I'm reminded of that kid's tourney where a boy lost money because he didn't spell it correctly. The point was moot as he would have lost anyway and finished in second regardless, but Jeopardy! got some bad press out of it. 

I see Alex Dunphy couldn't repeat as champion. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Donna drove me insane by forgetting to phrase her answers as a question.

She didn't HAVE to, at least in the Spanish category.  The answers were already questions.    That's been covered numerous times over the years on Jeopardy.

You also don't have to say "What is.....blah blah blah?"  I recall at least one contestant, possibly taking a wild guess, coming up with "Is it.....blah blah blah...?"  It was indeed, and they were ruled correct.

• Love 2

Oh, I also said plum pudding. I was thinking that would be accepted -- but who really knows with these judges -- however, the clue said something like "like what Mrs Crachet made," so if she didn't make a plum pudding, maybe my answer would be wrong.

Unless you have the stomach of a Scrooge (before his change of heart), you’ve surely salivated over the “phenomenon” of a roast goose, bursting with sage and onion, and Mrs. Cratchit’s plum pudding, decked with holly and flaming “like a speckled cannon-ball.”

Love,

eeyore.png

• Love 3
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think the only TS I got was (Blinded by) the Right (like operalover, a guess). 

I thought the Spanish "Who pays for the wall" was pretty funny.

Me too. It was a funny moment. Donna clearly didn't *get* it until after she said it, then it hit her. Normally things that delay the game drive me nuts, but I kind of enjoyed this one.

• Love 4

well I still don't get Who Pays for the Wall, please explain. Is it a double entendre or refer to something?

Also I meant to post the other day when the category was "Playwrites" I yelled Arthur Miller, Tennessee Williams and George Bernard Shaw at the TV.  When the daily double was selected I kept yelling Tennessee Williams before the clue was shown! And I was right - well I cracked myself up. This show is so predictable.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, operalover said:

well I still don't get Who Pays for the Wall, please explain. Is it a double entendre or refer to something?

Also I meant to post the other day when the category was "Playwrites" I yelled Arthur Miller, Tennessee Williams and George Bernard Shaw at the TV.  When the daily double was selected I kept yelling Tennessee Williams before the clue was shown! And I was right - well I cracked myself up. This show is so predictable.

It's a reference to Trump's statement that Mexico would pay for the wall he says he'll build. An unusually political clue, imo - but amusing.

• Love 8

I was extremely annoyed throughout that entire category, but I did laugh when it clicked for Donna what they meant with the wall clue.

I know answering in the form of any question is fine - you can say 'what is' for a person, and we had a contestant who kept answering 'is it' a while back. But for this category, to me just answering with the translated question isn't enough. The point of the phrasing on Jeopardy is to give a question whose answer is the clue. She wasn't doing that. It's like if I were to ask "How do you say what is your name [in Spanish]?" I wouldn't just say "What is your name". Also it struck me more as her forgetting to phrase it as a question, rather than her thinking it was okay to just say it like that. Anyways, consistency is an issue on this show, and perhaps some clarification would have been helpful for them, but I digress.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It's a reference to Trump's statement that Mexico would pay for the wall he says he'll build. An unusually political clue, imo - but amusing.

OH That WALL! Here I am thinking in Italian (I know some Spanish from Italian) whenever we say Le Mura usually you think of this old crumbling ancient wall. Not the brand new wall Trump is going to build! Sneaky clue writers!

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, operalover said:

OH That WALL! Here I am thinking in Italian (I know some Spanish from Italian) whenever we say Le Mura usually you think of this old crumbling ancient wall. Not the brand new wall Trump is going to build! Sneaky clue writers!

Translating between three languages, and figuring out the context/connotation is tough! I'm almost decent in Spanish and got all the other clues, but didn't know the word mura at all. Which, after the fact, I was "Oh, that's why it's called a mural, it's painted on a wall."

• Love 4

In Italian it's Le Mura when referring to city walls that encircle something- it's one of these weird plural article with singular ending...instead of Le mure - that is how it is usually it is - the article Le is plural so the noun should also end in "e" not A but it is irregular  "Le Mura". IL MURO means a regular wall in a house and a group of house walls would be I MURI..and LE MURA means an ancient city wall.  So the spanish was El Muro so It looked like Wall to me but made no sense to me! It's so complicated! Then throw in Alex with the French and I'm having quite an intellectual exercise, Pret a Porter People!!!

• Love 3