Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I named a cat "Studebaker" because of this song.  "Stude the Dude" is no longer with us, but neither is Mr. Zevon.  I like the way he doesn't end the song - it kind of breaks down, just like the car.

I nearly wet my pants at "The Hope Diamond."  Bwaahahahahahaha

• Love 3
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

BTW, in the Three Consonants category where the answer was 'pamphlet,' I said portfolio. Would that have been accepted? (My sister mocked me for wondering.)

It's a BS question that doesn't fit. The word pamphlet has 4 consonants in a row. Evidently it is formally defined by being unbound and at least 5 pages up to 48 pages. I never heard that. At least portfolio conforms to the letter requirement of the category. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Me too. There was the one clue where the answer was Minecraft, and I didn't know half the words in the clue.

I was in the same boat but I still randomly guessed Minecraft because it's a game I know "cool kids" on youtube play and figured Jeopardy would jump at a chance to be hip.

I can't even with the Hope Diamond answer. I honestly can't even figure out how he might have gotten there based on the clue. It seemed like such an easy question to me, even for the Teen Tournament.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I can't even with the Hope Diamond answer. I honestly can't even figure out how he might have gotten there based on the clue. It seemed like such an easy question to me, even for the Teen Tournament.

Hope Diamond was really bad.  One of his other really bad answers was Buffalo Bill who, as a teenager, apparently went robbing banks with his older brother Frank.

So many ts's this game. I got most of them but didn't write them down.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, DrScottie said:

FJ: Name the US famous landmark that was a gift from France? You should learn that in middle school. Hope Diamond, Fail. 

I stopped watching the kids tournament after the Emancipation Proclamation incident. Calling out a kid on national television for a spelling mistake just seems cruel. 

Except that the altered spelling added a syllable and changed the way it was pronounced, which made the answer incorrect.  That's the rules.  Yeah, it's tough when it happens to kids, but I don't want them making exceptions.  Of course, I also want consistency regarding first names and "be more specific", so . . .

11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

BTW, in the Three Consonants category where the answer was 'pamphlet,' I said portfolio. Would that have been accepted? (My sister mocked me for wondering.)

I said broadsheet, but I guess that wouldn't be stapled.  (At least, I think the clue said something about being stapled, but I could be wrong.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5

I haven't turned on the TV since Tuesday night and am not sure when I'll be able to face it again, but I would like my J! fix and to be able to chat here. Is there anywhere online to watch?  I'll check the usual suspect but if anyone has other suggestions, I'd be grateful.

• Love 6
On 11/8/2016 at 3:38 AM, Mystery Author said:

I knew FJ before AT finished reading the clue because when I was a kid I lived in NYC and they had a TV channel (before Turner) that showed classic movies 7 days a week: The Enchanted Cottage, Portrait of Jennie, et al. And Brigham Young starring Tyrone (be still my heart) Power. It's been years but I can still picture the gulls eating the crickets.

I knew it because a Death Valley episode (nightly reruns on the Starz Westerns channel) shown recently told the story of "The Miracle of the Seagulls."

• Love 2

I'm not sorry Sabrina ended with five dollars.  I could have done without the thumbs up also, Emily, even though I do like her.

I had no idea Texas was that large.

Jack said "me and my sisters" so there went my rooting interest in him.

• Love 5

Still hating to pick on kids, but man, Sabrina was annoying. 

My first, gut reaction thought for FJ was also Great Wall, but then I paid attention to the clue and changed my mind to the correct response in plenty of time.

ETA:  How is it possible that three supposedly smart high schoolers did not know that the verses of our national anthem end in "home of the brave"?

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 6

I'm flabbergasted that Ms. Marine High School missed the Great Barrier Reef.  I really disliked the other two, so I'm glad she won. She liked to start at the top of the categories, too.  Good for her!

Ya think Giggles Sabrina has a crush on AT? It seemed like it during the credits. That might explain her enthusiasm, too.  Sheesh.

• Love 4

I said the Great Wall also, although I was pretty sure it was wrong. It took me a while to figure out that the "living creatures" of the clue weren't people! 

Sad that no one knew "home of the brave."

I didn't mind Sabrina's quirks, though I wish she had sounded more confident in her answers. I wondered how much longer she could have continued reciting Pi digits.

The nice thing about the special tournaments is that we don't have to see annoying contestants for days on end.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Jack said "me and my sisters" so there went my rooting interest in him.

For me, it was when he guessed "Oh say can you see".

That was an absolutely stunning TS. The only explanation I can think of is that they somehow didn't understand the question. And this is coming from someone who isn't even American.

All three of them were driving me nuts with their behaviour, though.

I was stumped for FJ. My first thought was the great wall of China, but then I didn't think that was close to the size of Texas (if you were to look at the total area of it), and with 'living creatures' and the category 'natural wonders' I knew it couldn't be made by humans, but that's as far as I got. I was thinking of something made intentionally by an animal of some type.

• Love 1

Jack kept looking at the other contestants. Was he seeking their approval? It was weird.

I can't even with Sabrina. I get that she's young, but she got on my last nerve.

Of the three, the one who didn't annoy me won, so at least there's that.  And Sabrina won't get a wildcard.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

My first, gut reaction thought for FJ was also Great Wall, but then I paid attention to the clue and changed my mind to the correct response in plenty of time.

Same here; also the category was "Natural" Wonders, not man made wonders.

Not so many triple stumpers this game.  I am glad Emily won and that the other two don't have a chance at a wild card spot.

• Love 2

Thank goodness we'll never see Sabrina again.  I'm glad Emily won; she was the only one I could stand.

None of them knew Macon was in Georgia or Brainerd is in Minnesota?  None of them have seen Fargo?  The mind blower was "the home of the brave" TS.

21 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I was stumped for FJ. My first thought was the great wall of China, but then I didn't think that was close to the size of Texas (if you were to look at the total area of it), and with 'living creatures' and the category 'natural wonders' I knew it couldn't be made by humans, but that's as far as I got. I was thinking of something made intentionally by an animal of some type.

This.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, secnarf said:

It's also something of a myth that the Great Wall is that visible from space.  It's very narrow and would be about the size of a hair strand and blends into the ground around it. You can see it under optimal conditions, but plenty of other things show up better.  I came up with the Great Barrier Reef given the living creatures (ie, not human) part. 

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

The mister and I found Sabrina kind of charming, actually. Over the top, yes, but sweetly enthusiastic. Maybe we were just in the mood to see enthusiasm.

I liked her too. I tend to give a pass to the teens for this. It's national television and I can't imagine the nerves of being up there at that age knowing there's millions judging you both on your knowledge and your style.

I had the Jeopardy! tryout last month, that was a bit nerve-wracking and I'm in my mid-30s. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

The mister and I found Sabrina kind of charming, actually. Over the top, yes, but sweetly enthusiastic. Maybe we were just in the mood to see enthusiasm.

Agreed.  Being on Jeopardy is probably a dream come true for every one of these teens (and probably all the adults too.) Being nervous or apprehensive or excited all seem like very normal responses to me. I'm really tired of us as a society shaming the personality out of people, especially girls. 

• Love 6

Commenting on a message board about a Jeopardy contestant we find annoying is not "shaming the personality out of people, especially girls."

Some of us prefer Jeopardy contestants who don't whoop and jump around. Some people like contestants who we think would be better suited for Wheel of Fortune. How about we respect everyone's opinion instead of criticizing those who disagree with us?  The ability to do so is why I like this board so much. 

7 hours ago, vibeology said:

Agreed.  Being on Jeopardy is probably a dream come true for every one of these teens (and probably all the adults too.) Being nervous or apprehensive or excited all seem like very normal responses to me. I'm really tired of us as a society shaming the personality out of people, especially girls. 

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

DH thought the women on the end looked 40... "What? She's a grad student?".

When I first saw her, I thought she looked a lot older than a teenager too, but just on that first look; then she looked like a teenager. That's just the type of appearance she has.

• Love 2

You know, I really wanted to like Leeyu, since she's only in the 8th grade and all, but she lost me immediately with her first pick in the middle of the damn category.  And she couldn't learn from that obvious mistake -- maybe start at the top and you might actually know an answer! 

I am sad that none of them has seen Pretty In Pink.  Ugliest dress in the world, but fun movie. 

FJ was an instaget, and I did not add an extra "la" to the end. 

• Love 11

I have to call bullshit on that bee mascot clue -- it is specifically the mascot for honey-nut cheerios, not regular cheerios.  It demanded a BMS, not a "we'll give it to you"

11 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I am sad that none of them has seen Pretty In Pink.  Ugliest dress in the world, but fun movie. 

Pretty in Pink was a TS.  How ?  As the clue indicated it has been re-run on cable channels a LOT.

I know Leeyu was young than the other two players, but she really was out of her element.   
I was surprised Leeyu didn't get FJ -- it's not like Malala is some vague person from 50 years ago, she is a very recent famous person (21st Century -- that's only 16 years to cover) who was of a similar age to the players when her story spread.   Plus it's not like she didn't go on to write a book, and go on a speaking tour ... and was a co-winner of the Nobel Peace prize.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 8

I didn't like any of these kids today.

30 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

You know, I really wanted to like Leeyu, since she's only in the 8th grade and all, but she lost me immediately with her first pick in the middle of the damn category.  And she couldn't learn from that obvious mistake -- maybe start at the top and you might actually know an answer! 

FJ was an instaget, and I did not add an extra "la" to the end. 

This!  I kinda felt sorry for Leeyu up against Sheldon and Leonard, though.

Not only did they not know Pretty in Pink but no one knew Boo Boo was Yogi's sidekick?  And lobsters are mammals?

30 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I have to call bullshit on that bee mascot clue -- it is specifically the mascot for honey-nut cheerios, not regular cheerios.  It demanded a BMS, not a "we'll give it to you"

Again, this!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Fex said:

In my game of Clue, we investigated the murder of Mr. Boddy.

Was that the original Clue? We had that one, but I can't really remember the name of the victim. Wasn't it also Mr Boddy in the movie Clue?

I think Leeyu was ringing in too soon and freezing her buzzer.

Malalala kinda made me giggle.

Cheerios being accepted was, as Trump would say, WRONG! 

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Was that the original Clue? We had that one, but I can't really remember the name of the victim. Wasn't it also Mr Boddy in the movie Clue?

I have learned from crossword puzzles that the original, British, game is called Cluedo, so my guess is that there could be other differences, eg the victim's name.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Fex said:

I have learned from crossword puzzles that the original, British, game is called Cluedo, so my guess is that there could be other differences, eg the victim's name.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Boddy isn't the victim in the Star Wars Edition of Clue, so they probably mean the classic version.

http://www.hasbro.com/en-us/product/clue-game-star-wars-edition:B574CD78-5056-9047-F5A1-6E4035CEA739

• Love 4

I took an old Clue game & changed stuff to reflect lyrics of Warren Zevon songs for a Zevonathonapalooza party.  My favorite was "Charlie Sheen in the Collier County Jail with a Sore Cock."  (Yes, those are all from Zevon songs.)  We didn't care who got killed, as long as we could sing the accusations.

• Love 5

I liked her too. I tend to give a pass to the teens for this. It's national television and I can't imagine the nerves of being up there at that age knowing there's millions judging you both on your knowledge and your style.

I agree. I am in my 30's and I know I would be the most annoying Jeopardy contestant because I would be so nervous. My nervous energy would probably have me moving around, messing up category names, and making stupid, silly mistakes and possible blanking of answers. 

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Not only did they not know Pretty in Pink but no one knew Boo Boo was Yogi's sidekick?  And lobsters are mammals?

I was not surprised about Pretty in Pink. It is on cable a lot, but 80's teen movies are not everyone's thing and probably less so for some teens. It could be just as simple as them blanking on the name. Perhaps they have only seen it  once (unlike me who has seen it many time) and forgot the title. 

I am an idiot because I blanked on Boo Boo's name. I could see the cartoon character in my head. I kept thinking I know the name, but I could not remember it. When Alex said the answer I felt really dumb.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I agree. I am in my 30's and I know I would be the most annoying Jeopardy contestant because I would be so nervous. My nervous energy would probably have me moving around, messing up category names, and making stupid, silly mistakes and possible blanking of answers. 

I was not surprised about Pretty in Pink. It is on cable a lot, but 80's teen movies are not everyone's thing and probably less so for some teens. It could be just as simple as them blanking on the name. Perhaps they have only seen it  once (unlike me who has seen it many time) and forgot the title. 

I am an idiot because I blanked on Boo Boo's name. I could see the cartoon character in my head. I kept thinking I know the name, but I could not remember it. When Alex said the answer I felt really dumb.

I only got Boo Boo because Yogi's distinctive "hey Boo Boo" played in my head. I wouldn't expect kids this young to know Yogi Bear. I couldn't come up with Pretty in Pink despite having been old enough to see it in the theaters. It was not a movie that resonated with me.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I only got Boo Boo because Yogi's distinctive "hey Boo Boo" played in my head. I wouldn't expect kids this young to know Yogi Bear.

While the teens may not known the TV cartoons, there was the Yogi Bear movie 6 years ago (thus the inclusion of the Justin Timberlake reference) when these teens would have been 8-12.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

While the teens may not known the TV cartoons, there was the Yogi Bear movie 6 years ago (thus the inclusion of the Justin Timberlake reference) when these teens would have been 8-12.

True enough, and it was in the clue, but Justin has been around for quite awhile so I didn't peg it as being that recent. My impression was that the film didn't do all that well, but then since I no longer have to take young'uns to the movies, I don't pay that much attention.

• Love 1
On 11/11/2016 at 10:53 PM, peeayebee said:

I don't remember the victim having a name in the original game. I haven't seen the movie. 

I find the changes in the characters over the years interesting. These are the ones I remember: Clue-Board-Game-Characters.jpg

Here they are today. I actually just found out Mrs. White had been "retired." Apparently Mr. Green is also "Reverend" Green in some versions.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/07/08/_clue_changes_out_mrs_white_a_housekeeper_for_dr_orchid_a_female_scientist.html

• Love 1

How the hell did these kids not know Sesame Street?  That show is still on.  Every kid in every generation for fifty years has been exposed to that show at some point.  

The category title in DJ with "like" in it offended me on a cellular level.

Lucia did NOT phrase her answer in the form of a question at the end of DJ, I don't care how quickly she spoke.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Damn kids not phrasing answers as a question (I don't care what Alex said - answered too fast, my ass) and not getting a BMS for Clarke.  There are lots of authors named Clark/Clarke.

I was impressed with Connor and Antonio.  I hope he qualifies for a wildcard.  I hope Lucia doesn't.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Lucia did NOT phrase her answer in the form of a question at the end of DJ, I don't care how quickly she spoke.

I heard her phrase it correctly. When Alex asked her to repeat, she said "Mozart," but before that she did say, "What is Mozart" (or maybe WHO is Mozart... I can't remember). 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Damn kids not phrasing answers as a question (I don't care what Alex said - answered too fast, my ass) and not getting a BMS for Clarke.  There are lots of authors named Clark/Clarke.

Agreed, what the hell was that about ?   The category was middle initials -- middle !!! -- unless you give the first name as part of your answer the middle initial is irrelevant.  It could be anyone.

What if Alex did a BMS and she said Marcia ?  Or Petula ? Would he have just given it to her because she was close ? And ignore the fact that the middle initial did not fit her answer.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I heard her phrase it correctly. When Alex asked her to repeat, she said "Mozart," but before that she did say, "What is Mozart" (or maybe WHO is Mozart... I can't remember). 

It was "who is" pronounced almost like "whose."

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Agreed, what the hell was that about ?   The category was middle initials -- middle !!! -- unless you give the first name as part of your answer the middle initial is irrelevant.  It could be anyone.

What if Alex did a BMS and she said Marcia ?  Or Petula ? Would he have just given it to her because she was close ? And ignore the fact that the middle initial did not fit her answer.  

She might have even said Kit Carson Clark.  That has a middle initial of C.  And it's wrong.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Pallida said:

It was "who is" pronounced almost like "whose."

It was really fast. I didn't catch it until I watched it again. She kept yelling Mozart not realizing that AT was looking for her to phrase it in the form of question. The judges had to override him.  

49 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Usually last names are acceptable for answers, but I agree a BMS was warranted with Clarke. Fortunately, Antonio and Connor both included full names in their responses. 

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

She might have even said Kit Carson Clark.  That has a middle initial of C.  And it's wrong.

Kit Carson seems to coming up quite a bit on the boards. Forgive me for not being aware of this, but what is the origin for why he's something of a meme here?

• Love 1

I liked Connor and was pulling for him when he said he liked the Andy Griffith Show and other 1960's shows , especially for someone born in the 2000's.  I was surprised no one knew Sesame Street , or Dodgeball or Judy Blume , whom I grew up reading . I even have Blubber on my kindle . 

• Love 2