Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Aida was the answer for a clue --- yet again.  They have to get another go to clue for opera.

Not just any opera, but if it mentions Egypt, it's Aida. Verdi had several others besides Aida, but usually if it's not, it's Rigoletto. 

• Love 5

I didn't know echidna either.

I was surprised that Laverne Cox was a TS; even if you don't watch OitNB, it seems as though she's everywhere. I felt old when no one recognized Nelson Rockefeller. Somehow I pulled the name Alban Barkley out of my head (I didn't remember him from memory; I'm not that old!)

Congrats to Lani. I didn't notice the giggling mentioned above, but she did sound very tentative with a lot of her answers.

• Love 2

Undergrad Classics major and I never heard of Echidna until Hercules or Xena. Little mammal echidnas remind me of hedgehogs.

Going back to last season, I'd also never heard of Pandora as anyone's mother so I have to wonder where the writers are getting their Greek mythology from.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 3

Undergrad Classics major and I never heard of Echidna until Hercules or Xena. Little mammal echidnas remind me of hedgehogs.

Going back to last season, I'd also never heard of Pandora as anyone's mother so I have to wonder where the writers are getting their Greek mythology from.

I think you answered your own question - probably from Hercules/Xena.

I'm surprised that the guy from Reston, VA didn't know Theismann.  I hate football and I especially hate the Washington Football team, but even I have heard of what happened to Theismann.  They still talk about it around DC. 

Speaking of DC, it seems like the past month, a lot of contestants have been from the DC area.

• Love 1

I always confuse Theismann with Montana, even though I know Montana played for the 49ers.  I even lived in DC when Theismann broke his leg.  Never heard of echidna, so of course I had no idea as to FJ.  I said platypus.

• Love 1

I forgot I had to catch Jeopardy! at 6:30 so I could watch Timeless at 7 pm so I missed the first half of the game:(

Of course I said platypus first thing for FJ but then realized the ancient Greeks wouldn't have known about them so I switched to echidna; I learned about echidnas on Jeopardy!, plus I 'learned' the Greek mythology from Hercules/Xena so I knew that was right.

• Love 1

For yesterday's TS I got Nelson Rockefeller, Joe Theisman (saw the video once but on mute, thank God), Kiri Te Kanawa, and Leontyne Price. The only TS I got today was upper respiratory.

Never heard of echidna but I won't ever forget it now. Brexit was an instaget.

I hope Lani and her boyfriend Alex break up soon...

• Love 2

My then future-husband and I were watching the game and saw it in real time. Egads. And the sound! 

I think my only TSs tonight were The Producers and upper respiratory tract. I also got Book of Daniel.

I didn't get the apparent pun/hint in one clue. It was for The Battle of Manila Bay, and the clue started with "You may ring in when ready..." Can anyone explain that to me?

FJ was too easy.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't get the apparent pun/hint in one clue. It was for The Battle of Manila Bay, and the clue started with "You may ring in when ready..." Can anyone explain that to me?

It was a reference to what George Dewey said during the Battle of Manila Bay: "You may fire when you are ready, Gridley."

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 2

I missed more TSs than usual tonight.  Never heard of "Can't Stop the Feeling," I don't think.  Smacked my head for not figuring out Kill Devil Hill.  Just recently saw Louise Penny's name in a list of award winners, but didn't think of her.  Embarrassing.

I did get librarian (I was Queen of the Dewey Decimal System in grade school, bitches!), "Poison Ivy" (they were probably too young), Scarpetta, and Verrazano (and Yoey's from NYC!).

I was surprised to hear Joel, a dialect coach no less, pronounce "schadenfrood."  Maybe he doesn't do German.

• Love 2

Dang it, Cubbies, I don't mind waiting until 11:30 to watch Jeopardy! but you have to win!

Lani's starting to bug me (nervous laughing and constantly messing with her buzzer cord) but she had a solid win.

Here's a pet peeve of mine - Pierre, South Dakota is pronounced peer not pierre.

I got Kay Scarpetta, The Producers (missed DD - The Sound of Music?  WTF?), Verranzano and librarian.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 3

"You may fire when ready..." I think most people would think of Star Wars and Grand Moff Tarkin authorizing the Death Star attack,

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Here's a pet peeve of mine - Pierre, South Dakota is pronounced peer not pierre.

I spent 25 years thinking it was pronounced Pierre, and the only reason I know now is because I've been to South Dakota and had the tour guide for Mount Rushmore tell us that. 

Yoey couldn't get "The Producers." Wow. Did she need specifically "Springtime for Hitler" (as opposed to a song from it) or that they were intentionally trying to fail? But not getting Verrazano? 

It is a good thing they asked for occupation as opposed to first name for the eponymous Decimal System. I had no idea it was Melvil. That could have been a $2000 clue there. 

4 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I was surprised to hear Joel, a dialect coach no less, pronounce "schadenfrood."  Maybe he doesn't do German.

Maybe not. I've always heard it as "sha-den-freud-ah" as in Sigmund. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 1

see when I hear them answer I think that my pronunciation is wrong! 

Maybe not. I've always heard it as "sha-den-freud-ah" as in Sigmund. 

But I said sha-den-freund-ah so I put an extra N in there...like german for friend! I wonder if that would have been accepted. I got Verrazano, Cherokee, and librarian among the triple stumpers. I do watch this with my mentally handicapped 28 year old son who is a bit of an expert on weird animals, bugs, sports teams and super-heroes, comics...and he said Platypus was the egg laying mammal. But I didn' t think that sounded Greek, but someone had that so I told him good guess.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I will remember that from now on.

5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

"You may fire when ready..." I think most people would think of Star Wars and Grand Moff Tarkin authorizing the Death Star attack

It's a trap!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Another shout out to Louise Penny - sorry she was a TS.  For any mystery lovers who especially like character-driven, thoughtful mysteries with  wonderful setting descriptions, she's a delight.  (And she answers if you send her an e-mail and she loves dogs...)

During J! I had, in my lap, the book right before the one mentioned in the clue. I finished it late last night & picked up the next one.  There's one more book to go and I'm caught up with her, but I'm #110 on the "request" list.  I'm almost caught up with Janet Evanovich, too. (Personally, I don't think she writes 'em all - she farms 'em out - Joe's deceased aunt's name alternates between Rose & Ruth.) ...and, yes, Louise Penny's books are light years better than Evanovich, and read just as quickly.  I wanna be Ruth Zardo when I grow up.

Got Kay Scarpetta's clue, but I gave up reading her a few years ago. The woman's a work-a-holic, yet she always has fresh produce in her refrigerator to whip up some fan-damn-tastic meal. She's never too tired from working all day & half the night... Sheesh.

• Love 5
Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

Personally, I don't think she writes 'em all - she farms 'em out - Joe's deceased aunt's name alternates between Rose & Ruth.

I hate to tell you, but it's not at all unusual for authors to forget their characters' names during the course of a manuscript.  I see this frequently.  It could just be that she doesn't have a good, attentive editorial team backing her up.  Changing names shouldn't make it all the way through to the final bound book.

I gave up on the Scarpetta books, too.  The character started to creep me out for all sorts of reasons.

• Love 4

Final Jeopardy was an instant get for me.  I can imagine it being a challenge if you didn't know that Tubman lived that long (she was as about as old as Moses when she died).

• Love 3

FJ was an instaget for me, too.  I also got Bull Run (probably helps that I'm from Virginia), Chattanooga (that's a great aquarium!), George Sands, and Cairo.

By DJ, I hated all the contestants for starting in the middles of the damn categories.

• Love 3

In pharmacology you learn about the risk of side effects? I don't think that should have been accepted as a substitute for "drugs".

I am glad Lani didn't get a BMS for "Sunday", though. The way the game was going, I half-expected that.

I'm also glad we got a new champ - she was starting to irritate me and she got way too many chances from Alex.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, secnarf said:

In pharmacology you learn about the risk of side effects? I don't think that should have been accepted as a substitute for "drugs".

It wasn't a substitute.  "Side effects" was the answer, the question referred to the things listed at the end of a commercial for drugs.

• Love 7

Can't remember whose answer it was, but I was surprised-not-surprised that "Strauss" didn't get a BMS.

I also decided tonight that if I'm ever on the show, I'm not telling anybody in production that I've brought a lucky whatever with me, and if I do have something of that nature, I'm hiding it well on my person.  Every time Alex mentions some lucky charm, the champ loses that same day, I swear.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

You could tell Alex was fixing to help Lani win -- since when do contestants get prompted for the 2nd half of a 2 part answer.  And she seemed to get extra time too and it wasn't even a DD.  WTF ?

I've seen that happen several times.

I got Bull Run -- I lived close to Manassas for several years -- and Marc Antony (though I believe Alex said Anthony). I didn't get FJ. My first thought was Helen Keller, though of course I was way off on when she died, but then I figured it was an African-American woman, and I just couldn't come up with a name.

• Love 1

I was disgusted with all of them for starting in the middle of categories.  I did like Erin's hair.

I got George Sands, Alexander Haig and Cairo.

I was at a total loss for FJ.  I didn't know Harriet Tubman lived that long.

Yay, Cubbies!  I'm glad you won since I had to wait until midnight for Jeopardy!  Zzzzz.

• Love 6

almost caught up with Janet Evanovich, too. (Personally, I don't think she writes 'em all - she farms 'em out

Nope. She writes all the Stephanie Plum mysteries herself. A few non-Plum books have been co-authored with Lee Goldberg. And like Louise Penny, Janet is extremely reader-friendly.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tvaddict44 said:

Mystery Author, if you have time, there are probably several of us mystery lovers that would love some suggestions for good reads.  You could post on the small talk section of  the jeopardy list....

There is a book board on previously.tv too.

My only ts was Chattanooga, I thought of George Sand but didn't say it out loud.  Yes it was annoying that they all started in the middle.

Instaget FJ.

• Love 3

Today I learned that the new Sony Pictures movie Inferno will open tomorrow!

Seriously, this was a decent game because it was close all the way and I like it when all three contestants have a shot at the end.  I'm surprised George wagered only $1000 on a second-round DD.

• Love 9

PJ should have been docked for that Mariana Trench answer -- it's Marianas Trench.

Though PJ made a good comeback in the DJ round -- he was at $0 at one point and finished with $8000

Good game overall. Congrats to the new champ.

50 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Seriously, this was a decent game because it was close all the way and I like it when all three contestants have a shot at the end.  I'm surprised George wagered only $1000 on a second-round DD.

And before that wager, George made an $800 DD wager -- seriously, what was with that ?

• Love 5

They lulled me into a false sense of security in the first round, picking from the tops of the categories, then wrecked it all in DJ.  Otherwise, it was a good game -- not too many TS that I can remember (Chekhov and snowblindess were surprising ones), and a close score at the end.  I always assume (I know!) that a low wager on a DD indicates a lack of confidence in the category.

Alex had waaaay too much fun with the French category.

FJ was an instaget for me.  And now the song is stuck in my head.  But it's okay because I love it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

Today I learned that the new Sony Pictures movie Inferno will open tomorrow!

Inferno was released last Friday, so I was confused. Unless it is released later in the US for some reason?

22 hours ago, SeanC said:

It wasn't a substitute.  "Side effects" was the answer, the question referred to the things listed at the end of a commercial for drugs.

That's not at all how I interpreted the question, and doesn't even really make sense - pharmacology is about drugs and how they work. Anything to do with side effects is an extension of that. The question isn't up on J-archive though, so I can't take another look.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

PJ should have been docked for that Mariana Trench answer -- it's Marianas Trench.

I noticed he left off the s too and thought he should have been docked.

I enjoyed the game,  glad it was pretty even.

13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

They lulled me into a false sense of security in the first round, picking from the tops of the categories,

I guess by the DJ round they were getting desperate to rack up some money so they went for the higher dollar values.

I did okay with ts's tonight, getting yule log, Chekov, Italy and snow blindness.

Not quite an instaget but I got FJ in plenty of time.  My first thought was Telstar but that was back in '61.

I like the new champ.

• Love 4

Congrats to Ken!  I like him.  I liked P.J., too, but I agree he should have been ruled incorrect on that Mariana Trench answer.

The only TS I got was snow blindness.

FJ was an instaget.  Now I'll have Major Tom rattling around in my head all night.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Inferno was released last Friday, so I was confused. Unless it is released later in the US for some reason?

Actually, yes.  I don't normally follow this stuff but the director, Ron Howard, was on one of the morning TV shows today and mentioned it had already opened overseas.  (I have no interest in this type of movie.)

• Love 3

Actually, yes.  I don't normally follow this stuff but the director, Ron Howard, was on one of the morning TV shows today and mentioned it had already opened overseas.  (I have no interest in this type of movie.)

Alex also said we're "about a week away from Hallowe'en."  I dunno, but I think 4 days is a lot shorter than "about a week."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I guess by the DJ round they were getting desperate to rack up some money so they went for the higher dollar values.

They aren't desperate--they're called "winners!" Go board hoppers. Love to all who try!! (Unless I personally find you a pain in the butt, and then I say, ugh!, of course.)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Yeah, that irked me. 

2 hours ago, Trey said:

I did okay with ts's tonight, getting yule log, Chekov, Italy and snow blindness.

I got snow blindness and said 'log' instead of 'yule log,' so I guess I was wrong, or not quite right. Instead of Chekov I said Ibsen.

At first I thought Space Oddity, but then I thought it might be Aquarius, and that's what I went with.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

It premiered in Florence, Italy on October 8, and in a number of international markets after that, but the US release is scheduled for this Friday, October 28.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, just prin said:

They aren't desperate--they're called "winners!" Go board hoppers. Love to all who try!! (Unless I personally find you a pain in the butt, and then I say, ugh!, of course.)

Thank you! There's no law against that and maybe it's against the suggestion that you follow a category in order, but people do need to remember that Jeopardy! is as much about strategy, buzzer timing, and bidding as it is about our knowledge. Most of them and most of us get like 85-90% of the clues right, so it's up to the other factors that may make or break champions. 

• Love 3

Sadly despite the fact that the second the question was read I started singing "Ground control to Major Tom" and spead through all the lyrics correctly down to the last "Plant Earth is blue. And there's nothing I can do" trying to remember the name of the freaking song it still escaped me!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

And before that wager, George made an $800 DD wager -- seriously, what was with that ?

It looked to me like he was trying to keep the others from getting the DDs, rather than seeking them out for himself. I know that's perfectly 'legal', but it's playing the game in bad faith, IMO. Besides, it's no fun to watch players seek out the DDs and then make low wagers.

The Marianas Trench thing irked me. When he was ruled correct I thought I was wrong, so looked it up. Nope, I had it right, he pronounced it wrong and the J! judges made another nonsensical ruling. His answer was just flat out wrong with the 's' left off. 

• Love 6

Mystery Author, if you have time, there are probably several of us mystery lovers that would love some suggestions for good reads.  You could post on the small talk section of  the jeopardy list....

Okey-doke. My first book was published in 1992, so I've met a LOT of fellow authors. To be perfectly honest, I haven't wanted to tout myself, but my real name is Denise Dietz. Most of my backlist is up at Kindle. Favorites: Eye of Newt (USA Today bestseller) and The Rainbow's Foot (Colorado saga). I also write a series starring a diet club leader. In the first book dieters are getting killed off at goal weight.

I'd love to appear on J!, but my dream is to be a category. . .or a clue in a category :)

• Love 6

The only song I could think of was Telstar which I knew was wrong.  Even sadder was that I was listening to Bowie yesterday afternoon and sniffling tearfully.  I can't get over that he's dead.

• Love 2