Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got Kung Pao chicken and also B-roll (which I thank Jon Stewart for knowing). I'm not sure if there were any others. I had several wrong guesses, too, but I did get Alaska as a guess. I don't know why that seemed right to me. 

There were a couple of categories where it took me a while to understand what they were asking for. Maybe that was because the gal often started at the bottom.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3

I always thought that Kung Pao was what Batman would order if he got Chinese takeout.

It also occurred to me tonight that Pidge Meade sounds a lot like "pig meat" if you say it fast.  So I'm glad it's not my name.

Otherwise I got nothing.  This is feeling like a boring season to me so far, even with Seth's accomplishment.

• Love 3

I knew it was't General Tso's but I didn't come up with Kung Pao.   

I did get B-Roll.

And I got Alaska.   Sort of at the last second, though.  I was all... um.. blue... and then I focused on the stars and remembered hearing all about the flag when we were in Alaska a few years ago.  But seriously, I yelled it out in plenty of time.  I'm not sure I would have written it out in plenty of time.  

I was not feeling Alex's disdain for Nerds so I took his weird wording about the new champ's wager a little more personally than I probably should have.  

• Love 2

I wasn't paying attention to the interview but watched a clip later, and while losers was a poor choice of word, the last thing she said in her description was something about people who can't get a date or something like that, right?  And that is what he focused on.  So while I'm not defending his word, I'm not taking offense like I have seen other places. 

• Love 4

I think Alex was trying to make a joke, and like most of his jokes, it didn't work.  Leave the jokes to Steve Harvey, Alex!  You're not a comedian.  Plus you're needling a major portion of your fanbase.

• Love 9
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:17 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm still amazed that FJ was a TS.

I had no idea, although it was a total "D'OH!!!" afterwards.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:09 PM, ClareWalks said:

Vernon Jordan. VERNON JORDAN. That was incredible.

I had no idea who the correct person was, but I knew full well it wasn't Vernon Jordan.

• Love 1

I think Alex was trying to make a joke, and like most of his jokes, it didn't work.  Leave the jokes to Steve Harvey, Alex!  You're not a comedian.  Plus you're needling a major portion of your fanbase.

Alex Trebek may come across as sexist at times, but Steve Harvey is way worse.

I think "Florida Man" is fine as a twitter account, but I don't think it belongs on Jeopardy.

• Love 4

If you are that close to the lead, why wouldn't you bet everything?

Clint Eastwood is the first name that came to mind for FJ, even though I second-guessed myself because that would mean that he is now 85 and I didn't think he was nine years older than my parents.

I liked Amanda except for her decision to jump around the board.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Clint Eastwood is the first name that came to mind for FJ, even though I second-guessed myself because that would mean that he is now 85 and I didn't think he was nine years older than my parents.

Exactly my thought process too, except the parents part:)

I thought it was a pretty good game. I believe Susan had picked up the pace on choosing the next question although she still hesitated a couple of times.

I got two ts's, Wallendas and Hiawatha, plus the missed DD of raft.

• Love 2

I got the Flying Wallendas, Simon Bolivar (missed DD), Charles, Hiawatha, and Ezra Pound. I got Clint Eastwood after almost going off in the wrong direction with Billy Bob Thornton (who has a writing Oscar for Sling Blade but no acting Oscar).

I am following the outrage over yesterday's "losers" comment with amusement. I thought back to John Oliver's joke on the Emmys: 

The sun could burn out, humanity could flee to another galaxy, time as we know it could cease to exist, but Alex Trebek will still be there scolding librarians from Ames, Iowa, to answer in the form of a question, and passive aggressively insulting their hobbies.

(Bolding mine.)

• Love 9

Damn, Amanda, bet big or go home, which is what you're doing.  Susan really got on my nerves tonight.  She acted bored out of her mind or half asleep.

I got Flying Wallendas, Bolivar (missed DD), Hiawatha, Alfred Lord Tennyson and raft (missed DD).

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 2

I've had a crush on Chris Noth since the first season of Law & Order so I love that he got a Jeopardy! clue.

For TS I got The Young & the Restless, The Muppet Show and the Flying Wallendas, and also the Bolivar DD.

I totally blanked on FJ. Forgot all about Eastwood even though I think he's a great director.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

I can't believe people are still answering "Revelations."

Oh yeah -- I can't believe J! calls that wrong, given some of the BS they let people get away with!

I guess this is my week to be outraged (OUTRAGED!) at Jeopardy! Hee.

• Love 3

I got The Muppet Show (apparently before their time), Ezra Pound, Hiawatha... hmm. Seems there were others. Maybe not.

I thought the champ (or was it the other woman) said 'Night OF the Museum,' but apparently not. I also thought the guy said 'Chris Nott.' Maybe I need to clean out my ears.

• Love 2

They showed my old ride on the show tonight!  A hundred years ago, I flew the KC-135 tanker in the Air Force.  And yes, I did check the tail number on the jet in the photo against my old log book, but I never flew the one pictured.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Susan really got on my nerves tonight.  She acted bored out of her mind or half asleep.

I just had the Jeopardy! tryout Wednesday in New York. If there's anything that our coordinator Maggie had impressed upon us, it was to speak loud and clear. Was she still offended when AT called her and her friends losers? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought the champ (or was it the other woman) said 'Night OF the Museum,' but apparently not. I also thought the guy said 'Chris Nott.' Maybe I need to clean out my ears.

I rewound it a few times. She did say "at" but it was a little slurred like much of her performance tonight.  Hey, she got a win out of it. 

• Love 2

Alex is the most socially awkward television host I've ever seen. You'd think probably the ONLY criteria for a game show host is "don't be awkward," but he cannot manage it. Pat Sajak manages to segue smoothly between contestant intros, but Alex Trebek always just blurts out "Okay." in response to everything (including heartfelt sentiments) and has an awkward silence afterward.

• Love 4

ITA. Sajak is terrific as a host, but AT is so awkward. When I watch with my sister and BIL, I just keep my mouth shut when either of them says he's so great. 

I too noticed that the champ was subdued. I thought it was because for the first half of the game she was way behind. Maybe she was frustrated she wasn't able to buzz in on time, or maybe she was mad at herself for getting an answer wrong. I didn't notice when her mood changed, or even if it did change. Did she start the game that way?

BTW, she reminds me of someone. I can't put my finger on it, but it's an actress, I think.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Alex is the most socially awkward television host I've ever seen. You'd think probably the ONLY criteria for a game show host is "don't be awkward," but he cannot manage it. Pat Sajak manages to segue smoothly between contestant intros, but Alex Trebek always just blurts out "Okay." in response to everything (including heartfelt sentiments) and has an awkward silence afterward.

Yeah, the "Okay" after someone spills their guts or has a truly heartwarming story has always bugged me.

• Love 6

I would have missed all those Harry Potter clues, too.  I didn't get one.  Is Harry Potter now, like Shakespeare, part of the Western cannon that all trivia buffs should be familiar with?  I am so behind the times.

I got Ahab for FJ (he is in the cannon).  I guess Frankenstein was a good guess, though.  Didn't occur to me.

• Love 4

I think it's just Susan's demeanor so she can't help it but it makes for some languid viewing.

How cute she got Ahab while wearing a sweater with a giant ship wheel on it. (Not really.  I don't think I will ever warm to her.)

If Keely would have started at the top of the categories I would have liked her a lot more.  I wanted to see the easiest Harry Potter answer dammit.

• Love 4

I got none of the Harry Potter clues - it doesn't help that the original names are weird enough.

TS's were John Fogerty and 49th parallel.  Said Jean Valjean for FJ but the clue sounded more like it was the chaser speaking. That should have led me to Captain Ahab but it did not.

I like Susan well enough - she has a lovely smile.  I too felt so badly for Jerry.

• Love 2

Some people can't seem to help themselves with that irritating "So" tic, can they?  Keely had to work it in when it didn't even really start the sentence.  Where the heck did that come from? 

Poor Jerry.  He seemed like a nice guy.

• Love 3

Judas H. Priest!   What a lame slow bunch.  Susan was the least offensive and that's not saying much.  Poor Jerry was totally out of his element.  Start at the top, Keely!  Geez!

I was so busy screaming at them to hurry the hell up that I didn't write down my TS.  There were a couple but none in that Harry Potter category.

FJ was an instaget for some strange reason.  I've never read Moby Dick.  *hangs head in shame*

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Some people can't seem to help themselves with that irritating "So" tic, can they?  Keely had to work it in when it didn't even really start the sentence.  Where the heck did that come from? 

Poor Jerry.  He seemed like a nice guy.

I agree on that damned "so".  Contestants are dead to me when they start their interview that way.  That, and not starting at the top.  Keely had no chance I'd root for her

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I agree on that damned "so".  Contestants are dead to me when they start their interview that way.  That, and not starting at the top.  Keely had no chance I'd root for her

Ditto.  Maybe if a contestant leaps over the podium to catch a baby falling out of the overhead light rigging, I might get past the "So."  But otherwise probably not.

• Love 4

When Keely started with "So..." I knew there'd be complaints here, but for some reason it doesn't bother me. 

FJ was an instaget for me, even before Alex finished reading the clue. I therefore thought everyone would easily get it. Jerry would have if he'd have paid attention.

I think the only TS I got was idiosyncrasy. 

I was completely flattened by the Harry Potter category. I've read the books and seen the movies, but I just couldn't decipher the names nor even get them from the clues. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was completely flattened by the Harry Potter category. I've read the books and seen the movies, but I just couldn't decipher the names nor even get them from the clues. 

I am horrible with the unscrambling part so I closed my eyes and just listed to the clues and got them all.

• Love 2

I got all the Harry Potter clues, it's unfortunate they left one of them on the board.

Kids who grew up reading Harry Potter as the books were published are in their twenties now, old enough to be Jeopardy contestants.  The category made as much sense as any.

• Love 3

I don't listen to the interviews. what put me off Keely was that she kept picking from the Harry Potter thread and didn't know the answers. Move to another category! Do you think you're magically going to get the 3rd one when you had no fucking idea about the first 2 you picked? Jeez. Totally killed the game momentum before it even got started.

• Love 6

Same here. I've read the books but I took way too long to unscramble and even then I realized I only knew their first names. And the only TS I got was idiosyncrasy.

The champ just has zero presence so while I don't actively wish her bad luck, I won't feel badly when she's gone.

I agree poor Jerry was uncomfortable to watch.

• Love 2