Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

One I've really been disliking immensely lately is Rose McGowan, especially for how she's been involved in that #MeToo/#TimesUp nonsense-- ugh!

You can argue with her methods, but surely you support the ends. Stopping sexual assault.

• Love 18
42 minutes ago, Anduin said:

You can argue with her methods, but surely you support the ends. Stopping sexual assault.

Assault, yes, as in actual physical violation of your person (AKA rape), which should be stopped; however, what makes me dislike her and similar people is that they don't just stop at actual violation, but also play the Matthew 5:28 card (if you look at me the wrong way for too long, or even think about me the wrong way in private, I'm gonna act like you've physically violated me and had your hands all over me).

I think personally, therefore, that the only time a man should be brought before the bar of justice over violation is if there is actual evidence of said violation (rape kit for rapes, bites/other bruises for other kinds of assault); if that evidence is there, the accused should duly be found guilty/liable (the woman should not pull these frivolous claims of rape/other assault just because she doesn't like that he looked at her the wrong way or thought about her the wrong way in private, and this is why I have never been the biggest fan of #MeToo and #TimesUp!).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

the woman should not pull these frivolous claims of rape/other assault just because she doesn't like that he looked at her the wrong way or thought about her the wrong way in private, and this is why I have never been the biggest fan of #MeToo and #TimesUp!

Do you have any evidence this has actually happened?

• Love 21
On 10/4/2019 at 9:40 AM, Anduin said:

Do you have any evidence this has actually happened?

Bumping this up-- no, I have no such evidence that such things did come to pass that way (I should have answered earlier); I just answered the way I did because the way the media makes #MeToo out to work, I often worry about the future like that.

12 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

Bumping this up-- no, I have no such evidence that such things did come to pass that way (I should have answered earlier); I just answered the way I did because the way the media makes #MeToo out to work, I often worry about the future like that.

I see what you mean. That the movement might become a witch hunt, looking for people to target, rather than just confining itself to legitimate targets. Yes, such things have happened in the past. But right now, I don't think it has hit that point. Maybe people know the danger of getting it wrong and are making sure that doesn't happen. Either way, it doesn't feel right to condemn the movement based on actions that have yet to occur.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Anduin said:

I see what you mean. That the movement might become a witch hunt, looking for people to target, rather than just confining itself to legitimate targets. Yes, such things have happened in the past. But right now, I don't think it has hit that point. Maybe people know the danger of getting it wrong and are making sure that doesn't happen. Either way, it doesn't feel right to condemn the movement based on actions that have yet to occur.

Excellent insight, that! Autistics like myself take things to heart all the time, and I wish I didn't.

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, catlover79 said:

You didn't miss anything!! 😉😂

There was the end of one episode where Alan's busty actress girlfriend was going to be in some CSI-type show, and the theme song was the Who's Squeezebox, but other than that, yeah, you missed nothing.  (I didn't watch it, but have seen the ends of a few episodes because it was on before something I did watch.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Would anyone even know or care who the hell Chrissy Teigen was if she wasn't married to John Legend?  I doubt it.

I don't know much beyond their names and what they do, so I don't care about either one of them, but I heard her name long before I heard his.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Would anyone even know or care who the hell Chrissy Teigen was if she wasn't married to John Legend?  I doubt it.

She was actually a swimsuit model for Sports Illustrated & was the"Rookie of the Year" for them at one point, so she wasn't as famous as she is now, but she was known by a lot of people (not me) back then.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Two writers quit Patricia Heaton’s CBS show over retaliation after they complained about inappropriate touching by exec-producer and Patricia’s Husband, David Hint.

Forgive me, but are you saying you loathe Mr. Hunt [perfectly justified if the allegations are true] OR Miss Heaton herself [who has thusfar not commented]? 

I haven't always considered her the most entertaining or likable performers  and currently have more of a 'meh' reaction towards her . However; I myself am going to forgo whether to change my POV  about her depending on what her reaction towards the allegations against her husband (which could include continuing to profess NO reaction for longer than another day). 

4 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Forgive me, but are you saying you loathe Mr. Hunt [perfectly justified if the allegations are true] OR Miss Heaton herself [who has thusfar not commented]? 

I haven't always considered her the most entertaining or likable performers  and currently have more of a 'meh' reaction towards her . However; I myself am going to forgo whether to change my POV  about her depending on what her reaction towards the allegations against her husband (which could include continuing to profess NO reaction for longer than another day). 

No it’s simply that I posted in the wrong thread.

Though I do hate Patricia Heaton with a passion that knows no bounds so maybe it was my subconscious.

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
On 11/15/2019 at 7:40 PM, WritinMan said:

Conan O'Brien. Not remotely funny and genuinely boring when he speaks about...well, anything really.

Thank goodness someone else realizes what I find true.

• Love 4
On 11/15/2019 at 6:40 PM, WritinMan said:

Conan O'Brien. Not remotely funny and genuinely boring when he speaks about...well, anything really.

But, IMO, more likable than Jay Leno -only because he actually stood up and blew the whistle when NBC catered to  Mr. Leno's  tantrum at Mr. O'Brien's [ and up to 10 other shows' ]expense.  Still, that's about as much of an accomplishment as being able to pole vault over a quarter as opposed to being able to only pole vault over a dime. 

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Okay, so this is a really controversial opinion:

I like Jay Leno much, much more than Conan O'Brien.  I was totally on his side about the Tonight Show kerfluffle.  It's not like he wanted to retire at the time.

You are correct that in that this is a controversial opinion.

However; let's not forget that it was Mr. Leno himself who initially brought up his retiring from The Tonight Show to the suits then, (when it was a done deal), changed his mind!   

To each one's own re POVs about Mr. Leno and Mr. O'Brien. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Blergh said:

You are correct that in that this is a controversial opinion.

However; let's not forget that it was Mr. Leno himself who initially brought up his retiring from The Tonight Show to the suits then, (when it was a done deal), changed his mind!   

To each one's own re POVs about Mr. Leno and Mr. O'Brien. 

Maybe if Conan O'Brien had been a good fit for the Tonight Show, I'd feel differently, but his humor was all kinds of wrong for that audience.  Which is why NBC gladly gave it back to Jay Leno when he wanted.

I've never been a fan of O'Brien's "edgy" humor, so I don't care that he failed there.

But as you say, different povs and all that.  It's what makes the world turn. :-)

• Love 3

OK, this recent round of interviews with her ex Jon has somewhat unearthed an oldie but baddie- Kate Gosselin. 

While I do NOT  buy his 'I was an entirely innocent choir boy until the divorce decree's ink dried' deal, I think his side is  much closer to the 3rd side of the story (AKA the truth) than hers. Moreover, I always thought she not only has epitomized a deliberately exploitative, profiteer parent but she always seemed deliberately mean to not just him but her kids as well (and I haven't forgotten the supposed 'love taps' she would give him oncamera when literally hitting his brow  while making their joint  explanations spins and doubt he'd have gotten away with that claim had HE been the one to have done that to her). I bailed on the show when she actually broadcast their toilet training. UGH!  

Yes, I believe that the network put their energies behind her when they split solely because the show was a major moneymaker and SHE was the one who wanted to keep reaping their bucks regardless of how much her offspring's privacy,etc. got destroyed in the process while I do believe Mr. Gosselin had enough and attempted to put the brakes on and THAT was something the network wouldn't tolerate. 

There's a lot more I could say about what seemed to have happened on her part behind the scenes, I could go on about but I won't since those kids are having to deal with far too much on their plates re what was broadcast for the whole world to see thanks to her as it is! 

• Love 6
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:25 PM, Blergh said:

OK, this recent round of interviews with her ex Jon has somewhat unearthed an oldie but baddie- Kate Gosselin. 

While I do NOT  buy his 'I was an entirely innocent choir boy until the divorce decree's ink dried' deal, I think his side is  much closer to the 3rd side of the story (AKA the truth) than hers. Moreover, I always thought she not only has epitomized a deliberately exploitative, profiteer parent but she always seemed deliberately mean to not just him but her kids as well (and I haven't forgotten the supposed 'love taps' she would give him oncamera when literally hitting his brow  while making their joint  explanations spins and doubt he'd have gotten away with that claim had HE been the one to have done that to her). I bailed on the show when she actually broadcast their toilet training. UGH!  

Yes, I believe that the network put their energies behind her when they split solely because the show was a major moneymaker and SHE was the one who wanted to keep reaping their bucks regardless of how much her offspring's privacy,etc. got destroyed in the process while I do believe Mr. Gosselin had enough and attempted to put the brakes on and THAT was something the network wouldn't tolerate. 

There's a lot more I could say about what seemed to have happened on her part behind the scenes, I could go on about but I won't since those kids are having to deal with far too much on their plates re what was broadcast for the whole world to see thanks to her as it is! 

I hate all parents who make their children part of an exploitative television show so that they (the parents) can live off the money.  Gosselins, Duggars, I'm looking at all of you.

• Love 16

There were quite a few articles after the divorce happened, and when the show morphed into only Kate, that said the producer was her buddy.     When the dating show was rumored, a long time before it ever started filming, I read in several articles that it was the same producer pitching the show to the network.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

Jay Leno is a racist, unfunny tool. It's unfortunate that NBC still keeps giving him a platform. Although I shouldn't be surprised because it is the same network that let Matt Lauer stay on the air. 

All I can think of is that they keep having him on their shows to guarantee losses for tax purposes . However as much as I despise him as a performer and think he's a despicable person for all the backstabbing stunts he's pulled backstage (not just to Mr. O'Brien), I have to admit I was shocked to learn that he'd actually have used such a tasteless, racist 'joke'. I can't even recall Bob Hope having gone that far on air! UGH!

• Love 3

I wasn't really old enough to fully comprehend all that went on when the HBO movie The Late Shift about what what really happened with Jay and Dave regarding The Tonight Show. I knew the gist of it though. As the years went on it got easier to see that Jay had a not so nice side especially when he kept relying on cruel fat jokes for laughs almost nightly in his monologues long after other hosts started veering away from them. I would watch him at times for the guests but those last years he was on I got so fed up that I quit doing that. At least Letterman never tried to portray himself as a great guy in the way Jay always has so when he decided to come clean about his behavior it wasn't a complete surprise. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I was too young to be aware of the Jay/Dave stuff, too. I've heard about it since then, though, of course, and the fact that Jay was involved in this kind of host fight twice, first with Dave and then later with Conan, doesn't exactly put him in the best light, no. Also doesn't speak well for NBC ,because seriously, it's bad enough they let that kind of mess happen once, why the hell did they let it happen again?

I have read the War for Late Night book about the Conan/Jay debacle, and it was an utterly fascinating look into how crazy and just plain stupid that whole thing got. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Wayne Brady.  

Could you please summarize   why you dislike this performer? It would help me understand where you are coming from even if I don't agree with the reason. Personally, I've never heard of him so right now I have a 'meh' reaction towards him. 

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Could you please summarize   why you dislike this performer? It would help me understand where you are coming from even if I don't agree with the reason. Personally, I've never heard of him so right now I have a 'meh' reaction towards him. 

Not that I need to explain my dislike, but since it's the holidays I'll be nice and do it anyway.  I don't like his cheesiness and faux sincerity and seemingly puppy dog need to be loved.  (Also, if you've never heard of him I don't see how you could agree or disagree with my explanation.)

• Love 4

Oh Well.

Even though I've never heard of Wayne Brady, it doesn't sound as though I'm missing out on anything worthwhile so, unless someone else puts forth legit and compelling reasons to like him, at this point I have to agree with you. As per your description, he sounds similar to Justin Timberlake and Taylor Swift in those capacities. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, rcc said:

I hate Let's Make A Deal and the people who embarrass themselves. Wayne Brady is cheesy as hell.

That's back on? News to me (and not the best news possible). 

Well, I disliked the original show for exactly the above reasons back in the day- and I thought the late Monty Hall came across as an annoying, smug, patronizing schnook (though I understand he was actually fairly nice off-camera)! I never understood why folks would go out of their way to humiliate themselves on national television with someone who seemed more apt to have  run one those fly-by-night tent used car lots!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, rcc said:

Wayne Brady is cheesy as hell.

He completely is.  And when he had his daytime talk show he was super cringey because it was just... ugh so ... cheesy and pandering. 

But that said, I have to give him (and Dave Chapelle) mad props for the 'Wayne Brady Show - Uncensored' sketch from Dave Chapelle's show.  They played Wayne waaaay against type. On purpose obviously, because the sketch wouldn't have hit so hard if Wayne hadn't cultivated such a squeaky clean, non-threatening black guy persona which the sketch upends brilliantly.  Also, it made me realize that Wayne Brady could convincingly play a sociopath if he wanted to.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Well, I disliked the original show for exactly the above reasons back in the day- and I thought the late Monty Hall came across as an annoying, smug, patronizing schnook (though I understand he was actually fairly nice off-camera)! I never understood why folks would go out of their way to humiliate themselves on national television with someone who seemed more apt to have  run one those fly-by-night tent used car lots!

I saw the original version back in the day and didn't really like it.  My mom watches the new version, so I sometimes see it when I'm visiting and to me it's not as annoying.  I don't know if it's because old and senile or not.  The contestants do dress up, but they don't really have to do anything else embarrassing.  I don't have strong opinions on WB one way or the other, but it does seem like he does his best to put the contestants at ease.

• Love 1
On 12/20/2019 at 1:04 PM, rcc said:

I hate Let's Make A Deal and the people who embarrass themselves. Wayne Brady is cheesy as hell.

He’s cheesy because that’s what the game shows require - esp that one.

Check our some of his other works, like Impeoviganza or Whose Line.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, roamyn said:

He’s cheesy because that’s what the game shows require - esp that one.

Yes!  This drives me crazy.  I can barely watch game shows because I suffer from second hand embarrassment.  In fact, the only one I still watch is Beat Shazam! and I have to record it so I can fast forward through the stupid stuff and get to the questions. 

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:11 AM, Ohwell said:

Not that I need to explain my dislike, but since it's the holidays I'll be nice and do it anyway.  I don't like his cheesiness and faux sincerity and seemingly puppy dog need to be loved.  (Also, if you've never heard of him I don't see how you could agree or disagree with my explanation.)

I completely disagree with you on Wayne Brady.  I enjoy him immensely.  But everyone is entitled to dislike whomever they choose for whatever reason they choose.  It's just interesting sometimes to hear the reasons.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:27 PM, Browncoat said:

Wayne Brady was really good on Who's Line Is It Anyway?

I loved him on that.  I don't watch the American version on a regular basis, but when I do, I really find him funny.  But he's not everyone's cuppa and that's fine.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:16 PM, Blergh said:

I watched it to see what kinds of costumes people came up with.  Some of them were really inventive.

• Love 2
On 12/20/2019 at 3:35 PM, DearEvette said:

On purpose obviously, because the sketch wouldn't have hit so hard if Wayne hadn't cultivated such a squeaky clean, non-threatening black guy persona which the sketch upends brilliantly.

I loved that it was a callback to Paul Mooney's "Negrodamus" sketch in which he was asked "Why do white people love Wayne Brady so much." "White people love Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X."

• LOL 10