Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, docmatt said:

I'm a pediatrician, and I really appreciate this commercial. I get calls all the time about all kinds of ingestions. People have no idea what is potentially lethal and what is no big deal. I'm grateful that the laundry companies are saying "THIS, is a bad thing for your kids to get hold of, keep it away from them"

Yes, except the PTB have been telling everyone for YEARS that "pods" of detergent are poisonous and caustic. That they look like candy, and that children will eat them if they get hold of them.  This is NOT news.

• Love 6

Holy shit.  The Tickle Me Elmo commercial is inherently annoying because the product being advertised is annoying, but I somehow managed to avoid ever hearing this awful toy when it was a craze.  Now that it's being brought back, I keep being subjected to the commercial for it, and I have to lunge for the remote when the damn thing starts laughing.  That noise!  I can't believe there are parents who allow it into their home.  Did it sound like that the first time around?  If so, I'm stunned it sold five units, let alone a million.

• Love 11

I thankfully had very little personal exposure to that toy back in the day-I just remember a second cousin bringing hers over once when my family was visiting relatives. But I can't remember its laugh all that well, so I don't know if it's similar to the current version or not. 

But yeah, either way, I feel for any parents who'll have to put up with that day in and day out. What gets me about that ad is the music accompanying that laugh-they're intentionally marking it as a , "Remember this creepy toy? It's baaaaaa-aack!" sort of thing, which is a weird strategy to use to sell a toy for children. 

• Love 3

My niece is almost 10, but when she was a toddler, she had this stuffed dog toy that did various "interactive" sounds/songs/motions based on where you touched it--foot, ear, hand. She named it Dog Dog but my sister called it Chuckie Dog (Child's Play movie) because the thing would go off downstairs at night when everyone was in bed upstairs and the house was quiet. I would've burned that demon toy to ashes on the patio grill.

• Love 12
Just now, bilgistic said:

I would've burned that demon toy to ashes on the patio grill.

Now I'm thinking of that "Twilight Zone" episode with Talky Tina, and the dad who did his absolute damndest to try and get rid of that creepy doll :D. 

• Love 10

I remember the original Tickle Me Elmo craze. My older nieces must've been little then. I recall news stories of people getting in fistfights over the last Elmo in stores before Christmas. Yes, the laugh really is that bad.

My mother never allowed me to have toys that made noise (granted, this was 40 years ago), but that was pretty damn smart of her. She says my grandmother once gave me a talking doll and I was terrified of it. Rightly so.

• Love 5

I remember having a Bugs Bunny doll that could talk, and probably had other toys with strings sticking out of their backs, and understand any of those would become annoying with only a little repetition.  But that Elmo laugh is enough to send someone screaming into the woods upon hearing it just once!  I truly do not understand how this became a fad.

• Love 7
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:18 PM, ari333 said:

"nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea..." and they point to the body parts. Make it stop

Remember the old version, with the contorting bodies?

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, TexasTiffany said:

Have you seen the newest ads for the Turbo Soul Kia? It starts with a baby hamster running away from the hospital nursery and hospital attendants chasing it. Baby hamster goes to the roof and jumps off the side of the building and blanket parachutes its way down to a racing vehicle with other hamsters. Why why why? The lyrics playing are "I don't wanna live forever..." Huh? 

I hate those ghetto gerbils with a burning passion.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Now I'm thinking of that "Twilight Zone" episode with Talky Tina, and the dad who did his absolute damndest to try and get rid of that creepy doll :D.

The Simpsons did a pretty good parody of that episode, as well as other TZ episodes (including "To Serve Man"), in their Treehouse of Horror specials. FXX is currently rerunning those Halloween episodes in the evenings thru the 31st.

• Love 3

The ad for the California Charcoal face mask is fucking gross. First, it shows a close-up of a lady squeezing a blackhead from her face, then it keeps showing the resulting crud pulled from your face inside the mask post-peel ?

I saw this for the first time last night on the Comet channel. It is every bit as disgusting as you describe.

Those Special K ads annoy the piss out of me too. Life is too short to eat fake food.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, Jaded said:

I saw the US version of this Godiva commercial today on Food Network. I'm posting the UK version so you don't have to go to the ispot site. The only difference between the two is in the US it's a more American sounding woman's voice at the end and the end of the UK one has an British sounding woman.

I love Godiva but these ads are horrible.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, bilgistic said:

Not to defend men, because hi, have you met me, I was having/do have gastro issues and the GI doc wanted me to have a colonoscopy. I politely declined and found that a proper dose of probiotics and fiber helped. I'm not getting my pipes snaked until I'm forced to in another decade or so. Gyno exams are bad enough. I'm overdue on that, as well.

I've been avoiding a colonoscopy for two years now.  The doctor's been after me about it since I turned 50, but the prep just sounds so horrible.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, SoSueMe said:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wTgJ/xfinity-xfi-dinnertime-with-xfinity-xfi

Okay, I get that families should spend more time bonding with each other, I actually agree that devices really don't need to be at the dinner table. But this "mom" strikes me as so obnoxious that when she "pauses" everyone and asks how they're doing, I would love one of the family to answer, "well, actually I am kind of pissed."  There must be a less ill-mannered way getting the gadgets turned off. 

I love that commercial.  I think her family members are rude assholes for being on their devices at the table.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Yes, except the PTB have been telling everyone for YEARS that "pods" of detergent are poisonous and caustic. That they look like candy, and that children will eat them if they get hold of them.  This is NOT news.

There are still people who don't get it.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, bilgistic said:

My niece is almost 10, but when she was a toddler, she had this stuffed dog toy that did various "interactive" sounds/songs/motions based on where you touched it--foot, ear, hand. She named it Dog Dog but my sister called it Chuckie Dog (Child's Play movie) because the thing would go off downstairs at night when everyone was in bed upstairs and the house was quiet. I would've burned that demon toy to ashes on the patio grill.

If it was the dog of Chucky, it would have survived.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've been avoiding a colonoscopy for two years now.  The doctor's been after me about it since I turned 50, but the prep just sounds so horrible.

The thought of the prep doesn't bother me at all. At least I'm home in private. But as someone with anxiety and being introverted, the thought of being naked, and out while someone sticks a camera up my ass, is almost enough to give me a full blown panic attack. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

The thought of the prep doesn't bother me at all. At least I'm home in private. But as someone with anxiety and being introverted, the thought of being naked, and out while someone sticks a camera up my ass, is almost enough to give me a full blown panic attack. 

I've had one colonoscopy in my life.  Ib was admitted to the er for what I went in thinking just a wierd tummy bug. Admitted for 3 days, iv drip, no food or liquids.  The last morning they did the colonoscopy (and i had to drink thst gallon jug of liquid),  they pushed so much drugs into my iv I don't recall any of it.  I barely remember the day. I did however get to have 2 (!) pilfered breakfast trays when I got back to my room thanks to the nurses and ordered. Both were cold,  but it was the best food ever!!

The key is have then knock the shit out of you. 

• Love 9

I cannot STAND this Omaha steak commercial where this obviously upper middle class chick says emphatically “dinner time is the most stressful time of my life!”...is this bitch for real?? It’s called peanut butter and jelly you dumb bitch...ugh...so stupid

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, docmatt said:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A42I/live-links-barista

She says "that's impressive". No that's creepy and she should probably get a deadbolt, and an alarm system, and maybe a doberman. Possibly replace all her underwear as well.

I've had baristas remember my drink order when I went to a coffee shop regularly, but it crossed into creepy territory when he told her to have fun at yoga class. She wasn't carrying a yoga mat, so unless he's been stalking her, how would he know about that? The commercial is for a phone chat service, though, so consider the source.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, docmatt said:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A42I/live-links-barista

She says "that's impressive". No that's creepy and she should probably get a deadbolt, and an alarm system, and maybe a doberman. Possibly replace all her underwear as well.

8 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I've had baristas remember my drink order when I went to a coffee shop regularly, but it crossed into creepy territory when he told her to have fun at yoga class. She wasn't carrying a yoga mat, so unless he's been stalking her, how would he know about that? The commercial is for a phone chat service, though, so consider the source.

Their ads for men are very different from this one. There have been at least three featuring women as bait in which none of them speak, just pose seductively. To pull in women customers for a chat line they resort to promising actual conversation? Interesting.

• Love 2

Xfinity has some idiot woman saying, "Shouldn't our Internet come from the same company as our phones?" Er, no. Does your refrigerator come from Del Monte and Coca-Cola? Do you go to movies in theaters owned by Twentieth Century Fox? Is your radio station owned by Capitol Records?

• Love 10
On 10/18/2017 at 0:20 PM, mmecorday said:

WTF is Houzz? The commercials make it look like it's a website that will help a consumer with home renovations, but it also looks like it's a DIY show like you'd see on HGTV.

I get so annoyed at the Z in place of the letter S thing, I tune it out.  Two Zs are even worse.   I can't figure how you would pronounce it...  Looks like hours.

Here there is a child day care called "Success Kidz".   Now I do not have a child, but you had better believe if I did, I would not take them to a daycare who can't even spell properly.   Bless.  I'm shocked someone didn't poke an apostrophe in there for good (well, bad) measure.

We also have a local pest control company the has an ad that uses the tagline "Stop Z Bugs".  That one is even more puzzling.   Now the poor maligned Z is being used in place of the word 'the'?

• Love 11
18 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I've had baristas remember my drink order when I went to a coffee shop regularly, but it crossed into creepy territory when he told her to have fun at yoga class. She wasn't carrying a yoga mat, so unless he's been stalking her, how would he know about that?

On some prior visits, she probably said something like "Can you hurry? I'm late for yoga class."

• Love 6

Got a spare $130?  The people who make Cup O Noodles apparently think the noise of slurping noodles is such a major crisis, they've come up with an electronic fork that interacts with your cell phone to make a noise to cover up the sound of your noodle slurping.

• Love 3

^^^^^Oh FFS. How about don't eat while you are on the phone. That's what texting is for. You know how some people have to light up a smoke when they have a drink? I used to have a friend that had to pick up the phone whenever she was eating. It was disgusting. I got to the point where I'd answer the phone and if I heard her chomping away, I'd say "call me back when you're done stuffing your face" and hang up.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh FFS. How about don't eat while you are on the phone. That's what texting is for. You know how some people have to light up a smoke when they have a drink? I used to have a friend that had to pick up the phone whenever she was eating. It was disgusting. I got to the point where I'd answer the phone and if I heard her chomping away, I'd say "call me back when you're done stuffing your face" and hang up.

That device wasn't for eating while one the phone, it used the cellphone to make noises to conceal the sound, a cheap version of noise-cancelling headphones, except it sounds like a digital slurping noise. Ugh.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jamoche said:

There is nothing about that ad that makes any sense.

Yeah, I guess I neglected to comment on the rest of the ridiculousness.  I'm just wondering what the frozen steak on the frozen folded pants was even supposed to achieve.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Joe Blow said:

Yeah, I guess I neglected to comment on the rest of the ridiculousness.  I'm just wondering what the frozen steak on the frozen folded pants was even supposed to achieve.

I don't blame you - I couldn't find a starting place to comment on! I think the frozen steak was just an accidental addition to the pants, but as soon as you wonder about that, you notice that not only are they putting their jeans in the freezer, they've got unwrapped steak in there too. It's a rabbit hole of wrong.

• Love 2

I have 2 that annoy the hell out of me and are in high rotation. The first (which bugs, I think, from too many recent delays in airport security lines where snowflakes created havoc by not wanting to take off shoes or jackets or hats) is for Chase and features a too-precious clot who wants to be an astronaut. To this end, she wears her space suit and helmet into the airport and onto the plane (and the helmet makes it onto their beach destination). Yes, it’s very empowering and affirming for all those little girls who want to go to Mars but can’t you dress your kid in pedal pushers and a Target tee and be done with it? The one redeeming feature: the ad is set to “Spirit in the Sky”, a song that always gets my shoulders rolling.

The second commercial is one of those Hopeful Honda ads, in which some random school wants a library --  very nice, very noble, except for the librarian* or school official who introduces the ad with the deathless comment: “We've always had a liberry.” Yes. Liberry. From an apparent educator. Nails on a chalkboard, it is. And kind of pathetic.

*Would this make her the liberrian?

Edited by SCS
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Got a spare $130?  The people who make Cup O Noodles apparently think the noise of slurping noodles is such a major crisis, they've come up with an electronic fork that interacts with your cell phone to make a noise to cover up the sound of your noodle slurping.

I think it's hilarious. Even though the fork is real, I see the whole thing as a sarcastic take on the appification of everything. In addition, it's interesting to see that kind of diversity in an ad from Japan.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Some people who don't want to wash their very expensive designer jeans--in the fear they will fade, shrink, stretch, whatever--put them in the freezer to "kill germs".

Maybe they need to be told that freezing is how laboratories preserve a lot of germ samples.

Just the thing to put on a shelf next to food...

• Love 5

Referencing a few recent posts on this page regarding both steaks and irritating noises, and sorry if this has come up before, but OMG that irritating voice on the Omaha Steaks commercials....tender juicy this, mouth-watering that.....eeeccchhhhhh!!  

Ok, so I get it, she's trying to let the consumer "hear" the smile in her voice, but uugggghhhhhh, I can't stand it!!

Edited by FinePoint
Typo
  • Love 2
On 10/22/2017 at 0:25 PM, smittykins said:

Well, you can eat chocolate, as long as you nibble delicately at the corner of a one-inch square while smiling naughtily.

I hate that so much! So, so, SO much. Like, do you know how messy your damn hands would get if you took 30 minutes (at least!) to eat that damn 1" x 1" Lindt square like that?! That is, assuming she eats it at all as opposed to wrapping it back up for later so as to not be "bad." Ugh.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 14

There's a Subaru commercial that shows a grandfather and his grown grandson going surfing. It's supposed to be all cute and everything - the grandson asks gramps if he told grandma he was "going fishing" and then they're both in full wetsuits heading out surf. Which is fine. But . . . they appear to be walking into a very rocky cove, which is nowhere near a place to actually surf. Even if they plan to swim out of the cove and into the ocean, why? Couldn't they park anywhere near the beach?  I mean, there are all these sharp rocks sticking up out of the water they're walking into. Dangerous! It's like the people who made the commercial couldn't spend the money to go anywhere where you could actually surf and just figured "Eh, ocean is ocean, right?"

• Love 9
18 hours ago, SCS said:

I have 2 that annoy the hell out of me and are in high rotation. The first (which bugs, I think, from too many recent delays in airport security lines where snowflakes created havoc by not wanting to take off shoes or jackets or hats) is for Chase and features a too-precious clot who wants to be an astronaut. To this end, she wears her space suit and helmet into the airport and onto the plane (and the helmet makes it onto their beach destination). Yes, it’s very empowering and affirming for all those little girls who want to go to Mars but can’t you dress your kid in pedal pushers and a Target tee and be done with it?

Oh but the little snowflake doesn't want to wear pedal pushers and a Target tee. She'll pitch a fit and only wants to wear her spacesuit. God only knows we can't actually make her dress appropriately for a plane ride. Dontcha know. 

• Love 12