Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

With the heat of a billion suns, I despise that awful woman in the Gain commercial who boogies around to Whoop There It Is whenever she smells herself.  I yell at the TV, "bend the hell backward and smell your ass, then sing, Whoop There It Is.  Seriously, if I'm totally annoyed by a commercial, I will NOT buy that product.  If Gain were the only detergent, I'd go to beating my clothes on rocks in the river.  

I wish I could post local commercials because we have ones here for a local car dealership. The owner is a 50-something woman who dresses like a a low end madam in nearly every commercial.  Super short, tight skirts, low cut tops, bleached platinum hair. She has a new one now where she's dressed like a 1970's rock groupie, in leather and dog collar jewelry, singing along with a geriatric local band. Really tacky for a car dealership owner.  But, I guess I shouldn't be surprised because aren't car salesmen one of the least trusted professions?  

• Love 8
On 4/26/2016 at 8:52 PM, Maverick said:

The car was white, so WHYTCAT is for 'white cat' since jaguar is a member of the cat/feline family.  I'm not touching WHYTPSY (yes, that's intentional) but hopefully decrypting the first will connect the dots on the second.  If not, you're probably better off not knowing.

Okay, so I did get it!  I just didn't realize it was a jaguar so I didn't think it was right!

9 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

The surprise at the end did not make me less annoyed.  It should have but it didn't

In principle, anything with Taylor Swift draws my ire.  The thing that most annoys me...is really, you're working out at home in a sexy gym outfit, with full makeup, and what appears to be a wig?  I go to a gym and I don't show up half as fancy.

• Love 8

I just saw a lawyer ad for a breast cancer chemotherapy drug that supposedly causes permanent hair loss.  I obviously can't speak for everyone, but if I were fighting breast cancer, permanent hair loss would be the least of my worries.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Dead but with great hair versus alive with permanent hair loss?  No contest.

live fast, die young and leave a pretty corpse.

Although, I can personally say, with the advances in wig technology the hair thing might be less of a concern than it was before.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

The surprise at the end did not make me less annoyed.  It should have but it didn't

Ugh.  That "music" is horrible.  Too bad there wasn't blood spurting (ala Dan Akroid's Julia Child) from her head at the end.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

With the heat of a billion suns, I despise that awful woman in the Gain commercial who boogies around to Whoop There It Is whenever she smells herself.

I find that ad less annoying when I mute the TV, but she looks even more ridiculous, which is how the bystanders in the ad ought to be seeing her, since it's not like she has an iPod playing that music when she does that.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Albino said:

I'm just finishing up treatment for advanced ovarian cancer (doing very well!) and what's fascinating about chemo side effects is that you don't just lose the hair on your head.  After 6 chemo rounds, there is no hair on my body at all...arms, legs, underarms, lashes...anywhere.  I look like a seal!  Last week I realized all my nasal hair was gone.    WTF?  But it beats being dead.

A friend of mine was treated for breast cancer several years ago, and she said she lost hair everywhere EXCEPT on her upper lip.  Being able to laugh at the irony of not losing hair in the place she most wanted to helped with her mindset a lot.

I like my hair a lot (like the hamsters on ANTM, I once cried over a bad haircut) but I'd rather be bald and alive.  I certainly wouldn't be suing over a well-known potential side effect of cancer treatment.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Dead but with great hair versus alive with permanent hair loss?  No contest.

While I admit I don't 100% know how chemotherapy works or what life after chemo is like, I feel like since this drug apparently works well enough for people to know they get permanent hair loss, it's more like alive with permanent hair loss versus alive without permanent hair loss.

• Love 4

I certainly wouldn't be suing over a well-known potential side effect of cancer treatment.

Permanent hair loss isn't a well-known side effect of chemotherapy, and presumably one basis for the lawsuit is the potential for it with this drug was or should have been known by the manufacturer, but was not disclosed.  So patients didn't get to decide, yeah, I'll risk it or no, I'd like another form of chemo that doesn't carry that risk.

• Love 10

I had 3 rounds of preventive chemotherapy after having a Stage 1 ovarian cancer removed. I was given a choice of 2 drugs, along with information from my oncologist, and I chose the one without hair loss. I did appreciate all the information, and 25 years later, I'm doing just fine.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I like my hair a lot (like the hamsters on ANTM, I once cried over a bad haircut) but I'd rather be bald and alive.  I certainly wouldn't be suing over a well-known potential side effect of cancer treatment.

When I was a kid, I got a bad perm (it was the 80's) and I thought I was dying of cancer.  I was old enough to understand that cancer led to losing your hair from TV.  I was young enough that I didn't understand about chemotherapy being part of that equation. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Wait....they have hamsters on America's Next Top Model now?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 4:00 PM, KLovestoShop said:

With the heat of a billion suns, I despise that awful woman in the Gain commercial who boogies around to Whoop There It Is whenever she smells herself.    

I hate all commercials (and there are several currently running) in which your basic average looking American suburban white people show their enthusiasm for a product by doing some exaggerated, spasmodic dance routine. Especially when it's faux disco or hip hop.

The only thing worse may be commercials with white suburban types rapping. Thankfully those seem to have gone out of style.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, ari333 said:

Im not annoyed but I feel sad when those heart failure patients sing "the sun will come out tomorrow" *sigh*......sad

Me too. That commercial makes me so sad because of that song.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ari333 said:

Im not annoyed but I feel sad when those heart failure patients sing "the sun will come out tomorrow" *sigh*......sad

At least they're no longer playing the Kellogg's Raisin Bran ad with that song.

I noticed there's yet another installment to that Toyota "Enjoy the Go" ad campaign featuring the bank robbers escaping in a Pius. In this one, they've become folk heroes around the world, complete with people making web pages and hanging signs over Interstate overpasses (how did THAT happen in so little time?), ending with a bunch of them helping them escape the cops with their identical red Piuses. Gah, this ad makes me so angry for some reason!

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

At least they're no longer playing the Kellogg's Raisin Bran ad with that song.

I noticed there's yet another installment to that Toyota "Enjoy the Go" ad campaign featuring the bank robbers escaping in a Pius. In this one, they've become folk heroes around the world, complete with people making web pages and hanging signs over Interstate overpasses (how did THAT happen in so little time?), ending with a bunch of them helping them escape the cops with their identical red Piuses. Gah, this ad makes me so angry for some reason!

Maybe because these idiots are now guilty of obstructing justice?

• Love 5
On 4/10/2016 at 0:20 PM, xaxat said:

I hope Prince sues the crap out of Dr. Pepper and stops that ad campaign.

I'm a horrible person for laughing at this... I was catching up on the boards and saw this from a few weeks ago... LOL

• Love 5

For the most part, I've enjoyed the Arby's commercials, but the gyro ones (with the lone exception of the one where he finally stops trying to pronounce "gyro" and settles for "Mediterranean taco") are driving me crazy. Learn how to pronounce it,  damn it! 

• Love 2
On 4/30/2016 at 1:33 PM, ari333 said:

I'm bothered by that Entresto commercial. It's sad and rather sick.

• Love 3

I've been appalled by those Prius ads since they debuted during the Super Bowl. Really?  Let's glorify a bunch of bank robbers and it's okay/amusing because they're shlubby suburban guys in a Prius? Not to get all political, but I doubt someone would have thought this was a funny concept with a more urban-appearing group of thieves nor would the narrative of them being universally cheered on against the police seem likely. I'm still a little dumbfounded someone greenlighted the whole campaign.

• Love 14
58 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I'm bothered by that Entresto commercial. It's sad and rather sick.

I just lost my dad a couple months ago (he had heart failure among other things).  That stupid commercial makes me very sad.

• Love 5
On 4/29/2016 at 9:53 AM, Albino said:

I'm just finishing up treatment for advanced ovarian cancer (doing very well!) and what's fascinating about chemo side effects is that you don't just lose the hair on your head.  After 6 chemo rounds, there is no hair on my body at all...arms, legs, underarms, lashes...anywhere.  I look like a seal!  Last week I realized all my nasal hair was gone.    WTF?  But it beats being dead.

Seals are one of my all time favorite ocean creatures.  Sea Lions are first, because I think they are cuter, but seals are at least a top 5.  Walruses have to be on the list too.  I like dolphins and killer whales too.....but I also love sea stars and sea lions.......Seals are at least top 10.

4 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

I just lost my dad a couple months ago (he had heart failure among other things).  That stupid commercial makes me very sad.

That sucks, I sort of wish there was a way to customize ads if you must watch them.  Sorry for your loss :(

Even on the internet that sounds lame....sorry.

4 hours ago, bref said:

I've been appalled by those Prius ads since they debuted during the Super Bowl. Really?  Let's glorify a bunch of bank robbers and it's okay/amusing because they're shlubby suburban guys in a Prius? Not to get all political, but I doubt someone would have thought this was a funny concept with a more urban-appearing group of thieves nor would the narrative of them being universally cheered on against the police seem likely. I'm still a little dumbfounded someone greenlighted the whole campaign.

I had never thought about that, but its a very, very interesting point.  

I just thought the idea of trying to make a Prius "cool" or whatever was dumb.  People who buy a Prius aren't buying it to be bank robbers, or for that image.  They are likely buying it because they really want to ride solo in the carpool lane, or they want to make a statement about the environment (although, the batteries are sort of disastrous when they have to be disposed)

• Love 4
On May 1, 2016 at 8:09 PM, SmithW6079 said:

For the most part, I've enjoyed the Arby's commercials, but the gyro ones (with the lone exception of the one where he finally stops trying to pronounce "gyro" and settles for "Mediterranean taco") are driving me crazy. Learn how to pronounce it,  damn it! 

I think the person voicing the commercials (actor Ving Rhames, from what I understand) probably knows how to pronounce "gyro" at least reasonably correctly. His mispronouncing it, then finally giving up & calling it a "mediterranean taco", in the ad is likely just a "hook" to draw more attention to the ad, & thereby the product. Especially since gyros are only a limited time offering on Arby's menu. Just my opinion.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I think the person voicing the commercials (actor Ving Rhames, from what I understand) probably knows how to pronounce "gyro" at least reasonably correctly. His mispronouncing it, then finally giving up & calling it a "mediterranean taco", in the ad is likely just a "hook" to draw more attention to the ad, & thereby the product. Especially since gyros are only a limited time offering on Arby's menu. Just my opinion.

I know the mispronounciation is part of the overall campaign (there are several versions that use different mispronounciations). I just find the whole campaign incredibly annoying. 

• Love 1

I just saw an ad for Dolce & Gabbana perfume with Sophia Loren in it...dear GAWD what happened to that women's face?!  Here is the extended version of the commercial.  Most of the shots of her are from a distance, and for good reason, but at the very end they show her face close up--her skin has been stretched beyond capacity.

15 hours ago, bref said:

I've been appalled by those Prius ads since they debuted during the Super Bowl.

One of the ads says that the chase has been going on for nearly a month. The inside of that car must make an outhouse smell rosy.

• Love 6

The newest ad to send my blood pressure soaring is for some laundry additive to help stop some woman's yoga pants from smelling like yoga pants.  She complains that even after washing them, the smell of "yoga" comes back.  But thanks to adding something to the wash, the smell goes away.  Huh? I expect my washing machine and the detergent to do the job of cleaning & and deodorizing my clothes.  If my pants still smelled after laundry day, I'd try changing detergents or check if the washer is working ok.  They are telling consumers they need 1) detergent, 2) fabric softener 3) bleach for whites 4) color safe bleach 5) stain removal spray, 6) dryer sheets, 7) aromatic beads to cover up the remaining odors these products didn't wash away.  This doesn't include the additional product required to eliminate the mold & stench built up in very expensive front-loading washers.

Or maybe this woman needs to invest in better personal deodorant and body wash if she stinks up her clothes so badly.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Dirtybubble said:

I just saw an ad for Dolce & Gabbana perfume with Sophia Loren in it...dear GAWD what happened to that women's face?!  Here is the extended version of the commercial.  Most of the shots of her are from a distance, and for good reason, but at the very end they show her face close up--her skin has been stretched beyond capacity.

Oh my, and I've always admired Sophia Loren because she didn't tamper with her looks. Looks like she went to the same butcher who ruined Barry Manilow's face.

34 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

The newest ad to send my blood pressure soaring is for some laundry additive to help stop some woman's yoga pants from smelling like yoga pants.  She complains that even after washing them, the smell of "yoga" comes back.  But thanks to adding something to the wash, the smell goes away.  Huh? I expect my washing machine and the detergent to do the job of cleaning & and deodorizing my clothes.  If my pants still smelled after laundry day, I'd try changing detergents or check if the washer is working ok.  They are telling consumers they need 1) detergent, 2) fabric softener 3) bleach for whites 4) color safe bleach 5) stain removal spray, 6) dryer sheets, 7) aromatic beads to cover up the remaining odors these products didn't wash away.  This doesn't include the additional product required to eliminate the mold & stench built up in very expensive front-loading washers.

Or maybe this woman needs to invest in better personal deodorant and body wash if she stinks up her clothes so badly.

LOL, I've seen that, I didn't think that yoga was generally an activity that caused people to sweat so much they stank.  

I know I run (I sweat buckets), and I use everything......detergent specifically for workout clothes, special smell crystals, dryer sheets.....but at some point you just have to admit defeat and buy a new gym outfit.  The gym stank becomes stronger than everything.  

Maybe her kids just don't like her?  But I guess thats an entirely different commercial....

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

These discussions about face lifts always remind me of Brazil:

stretch_pelosi.jpg

• Love 7
1 minute ago, ari333 said:

This may be the wrong place to ask, but I just got a popup  note that  "you are not allowed to like anything from this user" WHAT? really?

Wow!  How does that happen?

• Love 2