Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, RCharter said:

Whats sad is that the Tina Fey/AMEX commercials started out really funny....more of her self deprecating humor, which I think really works.  But it does start to feel a little like she is rubbing it in when she is using the card to just go on shopping sprees.  I don't think its the worst commercial ever....its just not entirely likable, IMO.  

You're right, the earlier ones were better.   Like the one where she's eating potpourri and reminding herself "Not a food!"

• Love 2
10 hours ago, spaceytraci1208 said:

I wonder if they're kin to the assholes in the Hebrew National hot dog commercials (paraphrasing) "Unlike your heathen-ass hot dogs, ours are blessed!"

Yeah, I hate that couple too. I don't know what ad person came up with the idea that being snooty about food (yogurt, fruit, hot dogs)  would make their product sell, but it was a bad idea.

Also, Heathen Ass Hot Dogs sounds like a proto-punk band.

• Love 7

Maybe they meant once per hour when it comes to that commercial airing?

Oh, that makes more sense.

Thanks for the well wishes, CarpeDiem!  So annoyed by that darn commercial that my post wasn't as clear as it should have been.  The medication only has to be taken once per day.  Funny thing is, in my case, I'm not even sure it's working, lol.  Back to the Cardiologist I go.

• Love 6

I love Bon Jovi's albums, but his DirectTV commercial got stuck in my head so badly that every time I woke up to roll over last night, there it was again.  I'm not sure if this belongs in the earworm thread or not, but I'm pretty much enraged (I just got the Mozart we were singing in chorus this spring to stop waking me up), so I left it here.

• Love 2
(edited)

Here is a commercial that plagues me:

1: What in the hell kind of voice is that on the grandma?

2 (a): Why are there both (very ugly) cartoons in this and also real people (though they look like the video-footage equivalent of clip art)

2 (b): Why are two completely different styles of cartoons in there?

3: Why is the real, non-cartoon grandma marching like that?

4: The guy on the phone is talking nonstop! Could he possibly be ordering anything successfully without letting the rep get a word in edgewise? Also, he looks disproportionally gleeful about this call.

5: Hahahhahahaaaaa...not--"old person doing out-of-character activities" is always just so hilarious; I hope she raps in the follow-up commercial! Almost as funny as dogs wearing sunglasses or babies saying snarky things!

I just hate it so much.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 15

The Excedrin commercial where the mother has to wear the "reality goggles" to find out what her daughter experiences during a migraine pisses me off.  I see two scenarios.  The first is the mother is such an asshole she can't believe her daughter is laid out with pain unless she experiences it for herself.  The second is the daughter is such a self-absorbed twit she's not happy unless everyone around her can personally experience every single feeling/illness she has.

Both scenarios just make me hate both of them.  

• Love 23
(edited)

I was watching the Today Show earlier which I don't always do and those Panera ads were on during every damn break.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2

I don't mind the "reality goggles" about the migraines. My mother was a migraine sufferer, and when I became an adult and had them, I apologized to her because as a kid, I had no idea. Even if those had been available in the 50s and 60s,  it would have made little difference, I was as self absorbed as most kids are. My ex-husband always got angry when I had an attack, I don't know if "reality goggles" would made him less of an asshole or not. A few years ago when I was working in a psych hospital, there  was a demonstration of "reality goggles" that showed how a person with schizophrenia experiences the world. It was eye opening and triggered a migraine attack for me. 

I refuse to click the link on the cartoon grandmother because if it's the one about the knee brace and the "catch me if you can, kiddo" not grandmother voice shown on low budget over the air channels, it annoys me.

• Love 6

McDonald's breakfast bowls commercial: woman is in a yoga class complaining about her "me" time, "when is it going to be about me?" Bitch, you're in a yoga class, not stuck in traffic, or chauffeuring kids, or slaving at your office. Yoga class is your "me" time! If you don't like yoga and you think it's work, don't do it!

• Love 20
19 hours ago, spaceytraci1208 said:

I wonder if they're kin to the assholes in the Hebrew National hot dog commercials (paraphrasing) "Unlike your heathen-ass hot dogs, ours are blessed!"

At least the Hebrew National hot dog commercials used to tell us WHY they were supposedly better - that they were kosher because they didn't use cuts of meat from the rump area.  (Hey, I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what they said.)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Hildegard802 said:

The Excedrin commercial where the mother has to wear the "reality goggles" to find out what her daughter experiences during a migraine pisses me off.  I see two scenarios.  The first is the mother is such an asshole she can't believe her daughter is laid out with pain unless she experiences it for herself.  The second is the daughter is such a self-absorbed twit she's not happy unless everyone around her can personally experience every single feeling/illness she has.

I agree, but more so because I think its the second scenario.  The girl is like "well my mom feels bad, but she doesn't GET IT"  implying that she doesn't get it, because she doesn't feel the amount of pain that the daughter feels.  Geez, how much more do you want from your mom?  The answer apparently is that she wants her mom to also feel blinding pain. 

• Love 7
On 5/22/2016 at 2:48 PM, arejay said:

There is a new batch of Panera "Clean Food" drivel.  Now they believe there should be text over the picture telling us that all Panera salads are clean.  So....is that a reminder, a disclaimer, or a warning?

In addition to being one of those meaningless feel good buzz words like "natural" and "healthy", I think "clean" is also shorthand for "Not like that casual dining burrito place across the street that keeps having food poisoning issues."

• Love 8
7 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I don't mind the "reality goggles" about the migraines. My mother was a migraine sufferer, and when I became an adult and had them, I apologized to her because as a kid, I had no idea. Even if those had been available in the 50s and 60s,  it would have made little difference, I was as self absorbed as most kids are. My ex-husband always got angry when I had an attack, I don't know if "reality goggles" would made him less of an asshole or not. A few years ago when I was working in a psych hospital, there  was a demonstration of "reality goggles" that showed how a person with schizophrenia experiences the world. It was eye opening and triggered a migraine attack for me.

I think "ex" is the operative bit here. Heh. My ex trained me not to cry by getting angry when I did. Migraines can't be "trained" away. I don't recall if he got angry when I had them, but I got mad when we'd be arguing and he'd say I was giving him a headache. He never actually had headaches, so that seemed to imply that he didn't believe I did either.
Anyway, I hate that commercial because all they're showing the mom is the aura (which I don't happen to get); no way they could or would give the mom the intense, seemingly endless pain of a full blown migraine.

• Love 2

Shapeshifter, you are correct, "ex" is the operative word, but mine is also dead for nearly 20 years and apparently I still have unresolved anger issues toward him, laughing at myself, sometimes I do, mostly when I think about him, which isn't often. I will have to pay closer attention, I hadn't noticed the mom had an aura either, I don't have them either. I hardly even mention them anymore because I'm tired of having the pain minimalized by people around me, so until it is about an 8 on a 10 scale and I want to go to the ER for drugs that will knock me out, in my personal life, I just don't mention it.

And I hate that grandma commercial so much, I don't even want to watch a parody.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Shapeshifter, you are correct, "ex" is the operative word, but mine is also dead for nearly 20 years and apparently I still have unresolved anger issues toward him, laughing at myself, sometimes I do, mostly when I think about him, which isn't often. I will have to pay closer attention, I hadn't noticed the mom had an aura either, I don't have them either. I hardly even mention them anymore because I'm tired of having the pain minimalized by people around me, so until it is about an 8 on a 10 scale and I want to go to the ER for drugs that will knock me out, in my personal life, I just don't mention it.

On the bold part, me too. Mine will probably live forever, but he's been "ex" for 25 years, so laughing is possible. 
Anyway. OT but worth mentioning, Sumatriptan changed my life migraine-wise. I still get them, but it shortens the magnitude and duration greatly.
Still, if I were the gun-toting sort of person, I would have likely shot my TV by now when that Excedrin commercial  was airing. The Grandma one just gets the mute treatment.

• Love 3
On 5/22/2016 at 9:48 PM, millennium said:

The Xarelto one truly irritates me.   It features Kevin Nealon, Arnold Palmer and some other guy behaving like entitled assholes while they share quips about Xarelto.  Bizarrely, they are all dressed in shades of purple and pink (Xarelto's color is a shade of purple, I think).   In this neck of TV-land, this commercial is often followed by a "1-800-BAD-DRUG" type of commercial with an ominous voice intoning "Have you suffered fatal or crippling effects after using Xarelto?  Contact the law firm of Victor Slippenphall" or something like that.   It makes Nealon, Palmer and the other guy look like the worst kind of shills, willing to push any pharmaceutical even if it may hurt people.

I will never, ever be able to see Kevin Nealon in a commercial and take it seriously. I keep expecting a "Colon Blow" or "Bad Idea Jeans" punchline.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, bitchin camaro said:

The "reality goggles" ad reminds me of the time we had a health fair at work and one of the stations was "drunk goggles". I'm not proud of the fact that I could walk the line 100% straight with them on.

that feels like a superpower....do you have a cape or unitard of some sort?  If so...you might be an X-Man.

• Love 5

Now I have another reason to hate the Bon Jovi DirectTV ad.  Last night I lunged for the remote to avoid it, hit the wrong button and got static instead, and scared the cat in my lap.  In the process of abandoning ship at roughly 55mph, the cat put holes in my leg in seven places.  Thanks, DirectTV!

• Love 7
(edited)

The Land Rover Douchebag Wedding Party commercial is back in rotation, and I hate these people even more on this new go-round.

I hate the pouty bride who stands helplessly looking at the rain like she's never seen precipitation in her life. Bitch, when you plan an outdoor wedding you bring along some fucking umbrellas AND a Plan B.

I hate the pissy bridesmaid who clearly is secretly gleeful that the wedding is about to get rained out.

I hate the wimpy groomsman who trembles at the fact that they are - gasp - GOING UP A HILL!! ON A MOUNTAIN!

And I hate, hate, hate the smug, self-satisfied groom who decides to give everyone pneumonia by dragging them to the top of a mountain when I'm sure the people would have vastly preferred to see them get married in the lodge by the nice warm fire.

And what's up with the groom and the bridesmaid? Why do they hate each other so much? They are all such awful people they all deserve one another.

ETA: And my other question - who is officiating this ridiculous ceremony, anyway? Did they drag their neighborhood minister up to the top of the mountain too?

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 11
On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 8:04 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I love Jim Gaffigan.  But I haven't seen that commercial and I haven't seen him try to host anything.  Not sure that would work

I just like his stand up. 

Well, he does Colonel Sanders well.

• Love 2
(edited)

1) I wish that Hulu would stop showing the Clearblue pregnancy test commercial before every The Mindy Project episode. Just because I watch a show in which the lead character has a (virtually invisible, as it should be) baby, doesn't mean I'm in the market for one. Save it for the Duggars.

2) I wish Clearblue would make the commercial based on real life, where a woman takes the test, and it says "Pregnant", and as she exclaims, "MOTHERFU-" the voiceover cuts in, "Clearblue. Because you've got to know."

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 16
(edited)

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:22 AM, Hildegard802 said:

That ad annoys me to no end either, but mostly for the latter reason. I hate gawdam martyrs.

Does such a thing even exist, other than to distort your vision?

Edited by Ubiquitous
My tablet mangled my post. Fixed it!
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

1) I wish that Hulu would stop showing the Clearblue pregnancy test commercial before every The Mindy Project episode. Just because I watch a show in which the lead character has a (virtually invisible, as it should be) baby, doesn't mean I'm in the market for one. Save it for the Duggars.

Devil's advocate (although this is not a hill I would die on at all), it's also a show in which the main characters are gynecologists? I would've assumed the linkup for that string of ads had more to do with that (and/or its having a female lead meaning they want more female skewing ads) than it having anything to do with the character having a baby. Not saying that's necessarily better or good, just a different association.

• Love 3

It seriously didn't occur to me to make that association. And Mindy "runs a fertility clinic"!

Babies are gross and pregnancy freaks me out, is what I'm saying.

(I'm a 41-year-old heterosexual woman. Yes, I'm unmarried and I have a cat. Why do you ask?)

• Love 19
On 5/23/2016 at 1:41 PM, cpcathy said:

McDonald's breakfast bowls commercial: woman is in a yoga class complaining about her "me" time, "when is it going to be about me?" Bitch, you're in a yoga class, not stuck in traffic, or chauffeuring kids, or slaving at your office. Yoga class is your "me" time! If you don't like yoga and you think it's work, don't do it!

Mmmm, what is a McDonald's breakfast bowl?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

2) I wish Clearblue would make the commercial based on real life, where a woman takes the test, and it says "Pregnant", and as she exclaims, "MOTHERFU-" the voiceover cuts in, "Clearblue. Because you've got to know."

There was a skit on SNL years ago doing just this, basically.  It was Amy Poehler and Jimmy Fallon playing college kids who had a one night stand and were waiting to find out if she was pregnant.  They played so hilariously awkward because they clearly didn't know each other at all.

I love that skateboarding grandma is making the rounds again!  That clip-art is so tacky, it's unbelievable that it made it to air.  Had no idea Svengoolie did a parody of it.

• Love 1

I am/was a TimeWarner cable customer. They were recently purchased by Charter and the new company, Spectrum, is now running ads about the upcoming transition. No matter what the spokesperson says, I only hear, "Hi, we're the new monopoly in town and we have been working hard to devise new and exciting ways to screw you over."

Not that I'll miss Time Warner. Their ads were annoying because they invariably fell into one of two categories. Acknowledging that their customer service sucks while promising that this time it will actually get better. And "Hi, you can get cable, internet, phone and a pony for just twenty dollars a month!" *small print* Unless you are already a customer for our monopoly in which case you are totally SOL.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I am/was a TimeWarner cable customer. They were recently purchased by Charter and the new company, Spectrum, is now running ads about the upcoming transition. No matter what the spokesperson says, I only hear, "Hi, we're the new monopoly in town and we have been working hard to devise new and exciting ways to screw you over."

I always thought Cablevision was the worst company in the world until I moved to Charlotte and ended up with Time Warner. Charter can't be any worse, can they?

19 hours ago, bilgistic said:

It seriously didn't occur to me to make that association. And Mindy "runs a fertility clinic"!

Babies are gross and pregnancy freaks me out, is what I'm saying.

(I'm a 41-year-old heterosexual woman. Yes, I'm unmarried and I have a cat. Why do you ask?)

"2) I wish Clearblue would make the commercial based on real life, where a woman takes the test, and it says "Pregnant", and as she exclaims, "MOTHERFU-" the voiceover cuts in, "Clearblue. Because you've got to know."

18 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The big white thing in the bathroom that you throw up into in the morning after you ate at McDonald's in the middle of the night when you were drunk.

Bilgistic -- YOU are on a ROLL!  LMAO!!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Not that I'll miss Time Warner. Their ads were annoying because they invariably fell into one of two categories. Acknowledging that their customer service sucks while promising that this time it will actually get better. And "Hi, you can get cable, internet, phone and a pony for just twenty dollars a month!" *small print* Unless you are already a customer for our monopoly in which case you are totally SOL.

LOL. Perfectly described, xaxat!

• Love 1

The new car (Range Rover, maybe) commercial where the driver drives thru a construction zone while following a woman in a leopard print dress  just floors me.  They obviously want to impress me with how well the car handles in different terrains, while getting the 'Elephant Walk' song stuck in my head.   However, all I can think of is they are trying to market the car to 4 year olds with vivid imaginations or clueless male adults that will follow anyone in a skirt anywhere. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I always thought Cablevision was the worst company in the world until I moved to Charlotte and ended up with Time Warner. Charter can't be any worse, can they?

I don't know about worse, but Charter is terrible, terrible, terrible. And to keep it on topic, their ads make everything in this thread except Pull That Peach look charming and intelligent in comparison.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I live in Charlotte. AT&T U-Verse, who used to be great, fucked up my account so badly, I went back to Time Warner Cable! I'm just waiting for Google Fiber. I'm sure they'll suck eventually, too, because why be good when everyone else is terrible? Customers will just play service-provider roulette, like I have done.

• Love 4
On 5/21/2016 at 10:02 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Febreze makes my throat close up--can't use it (and don't want to!).

Just saw the Blue Bunny commercial with the dog for the first time. The girl seems like a tiny little mean adult; something is too mature about her demeanor--like she's not just being a dumb kid unknowingly teasing the dog. If she is that calculating, she should certainly be able to eat neater! Gross. Also, I hate when people lick their fingers with an audible "pop!" sound.

As if we weren't already raising a generation  of people without empathy due to social media, we need little kids watching and imitating that child...

• Love 5
(edited)

Trust me; TWC still sucks. I just switched back to them within the last two months. Suckage galore. Bait-and-switch sales tactics, hidden fees, idiot installer (who was at my apartment for at least TWO HOURS).

Edited by bilgistic
On 5/23/2016 at 10:28 PM, bitchin camaro said:

I will never, ever be able to see Kevin Nealon in a commercial and take it seriously. I keep expecting a "Colon Blow" or "Bad Idea Jeans" punchline.

The little snip of Nealon's stand up routine in the Xarelto commercial is totally unfunny. "I have a driver....."

• Love 1

There's another cable ad that annoys me. Xfinity is advertising their services on Time Warner where I live.

I don't know anything about Xfinity, but that's great! Consumer choice is awesome!

Except their regional monopoly conveniently ends at the border of Time Warner's regional monopoly five miles from my house. So it's not an option. . . at all.

That's just straight up corporate trolling.

• Love 2