Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I can't stand the Kia commercials they play during NBA games.  The one with Lebron James claiming he drives a Kia and the one with Blake Griffin playing chess.  Blake Griffin just is atrocious as an actor.  And not even bad enough to laugh at his cheesiness, just plain bad.  All the Kia ads over the years, I hate them.  They all suck.  I wish the NBA would pick or new sponsor or tell them to make better ads, I can't even watch them.  

Charter has a new ad designed to piss me off. Again. This time it's some talentless suburban hip-hop wannabe fronting while he tells us about Charter, his cat, and the scented candles he likes to use when he takes a bath. Yeah, that's for real street-poetry right there; cats, scented candles, and cable bundles.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ebk57 said:

In this particular case though, it's not top school versus state school.  It's the for-profit college industry, which is mostly a scam.

Which brings me to the story I heard on NPR yesterday morning while getting ready for work.  Seconds into the story, they played the beginning of The Commercial.  I nearly jumped out of my skin.  I was so hoping it was going to be an entire story about how awful the commercial is, but it was just a story about the industry.  Blech.  And damn you, UofP!

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/05/12/477655591/jail-time-for-a-for-profit-college-founder

There is a superb episode of Frontline on this topic.  But I'm biased because I really enjoy all Frontlines

There is an ad, maybe for Wells Fargo, where a truck driver picks out an interesting rock from each state he visits for his young daughter. I like almost everything about the ad, from the thoughtful father to the budding geologist kid. But...the music in the ad is so dreary and depressing and lifeless. Maybe I'm just oversensitive to musical cues or something, but I hate any ad with somber, sluggish music in the background when it's just not called for. 

Country club dad and son having a strained conversation about son's "rebellious" choice to drive an Infiniti in dad's staid study...shut the fuck up. 

The commercial where various people break up with Sprint to move to Metro PCS is just one big sack of douchebaggery. The dude who growls that Sprint is so frustrating is wound way too tight and the lady at the end who snottily says "buh-bye, Sprint" is particularly annoying.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Charter has a new ad designed to piss me off. Again. This time it's some talentless suburban hip-hop wannabe fronting while he tells us about Charter, his cat, and the scented candles he likes to use when he takes a bath. Yeah, that's for real street-poetry right there; cats, scented candles, and cable bundles.

I hate that commercial too. 

(edited)

So there is this new commercial for Blue Bunny Ice Cream that has me downright stabby (I can't find it, which is odd, because I know some marketing person must be extremely proud of this POS commercial)

Apparently these people are having a dinner party, and the guy has a tub of ice cream when his naggy shrew of a wife comes in (I'm assuming she is related to yogurt bitch since both ice cream and yogurt come from milk) and she is like "we need the ice cream now"  and the husband is like "oh yeah, here it is."  And she is like "no Tom, I told you to get the FUN ice cream, not the FANCY ice cream" and then this stupid bitch proceeds to pull out the "FUN" ice cream that SHE HAD ALREADY BOUGHT!  And then she is like "we're fun people Tom, right" as she backs away giving him an annoyed glare.

I just can't, first off bitch if you needed specific ice cream, why didn't you drag your stupid ass to the store to pick it up, because what the sweet fuck is "fun" ice cream.  Its sugar and cream and some flavoring...how much more fun do you want it to be?  

Second, why did you send the man out to buy the ice cream if you already bought it?

Third, her tone is so bitchy that I half want him to just throw all the ice cream down the garbage disposal....you asked the man to buy ice cream, he bought ice cream and you're being such a grade A bitch about the entire thing.  

Fourth, the fun ice cream turned out to be a bunch of mini cones.....who the hell is serving that at a dinner party with fancy dresses?  Because let me tell you, if you're worried about being judged by your guests....mini ice cream cones is not going to make people think you're ultra classy.  Trust me, I will be talking shit about your stupid ass dinner/cocktail party/black tie affair if you come at me with some damn mini ice cream cone for dessert.  What, no one could stop by the local Albertsons and pick up a cake?  You thought Blue Bunny mini ice cream cones was going to upgrade your dinner party to a fancy feast?  Is this some sort of key party?

Edited by RCharter
Because this post needed more ranting!
  • Love 13
23 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

I guess it's supposed to be funny.

22 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Country club dad and son having a strained conversation about son's "rebellious" choice to drive an Infiniti in dad's staid study...shut the fuck up.

I never paid attention to that commercial until it got posted here.  I'm not sure "Infiniti is the new gay" was a wise message.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Ricky Gervaise never annoyed me.

Now I hate the very sound of his voice and the very sight of him thanks to his Verizon commercials. He's just a bit more rubbish than he used to be.

Ricky Gervaise has always annoyed me - and his Verizon commercials make me glad I've had AT&T wireless for the past 15 years.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, RCharter said:

So there is this new commercial for Blue Bunny Ice Cream that has me downright stabby (I can't find it, which is odd, because I know some marketing person must be extremely proud of this POS commercial)

Apparently these people are having a dinner party, and the guy has a tub of ice cream when his naggy shrew of a wife comes in (I'm assuming she is related to yogurt bitch since both ice cream and yogurt come from milk) and she is like "we need the ice cream now"  and the husband is like "oh yeah, here it is."  And she is like "no Tom, I told you to get the FUN ice cream, not the FANCY ice cream" and then this stupid bitch proceeds to pull out the "FUN" ice cream that SHE HAD ALREADY BOUGHT!  And then she is like "we're fun people Tom, right" as she backs away giving him an annoyed glare.

I just can't, first off bitch if you needed specific ice cream, why didn't you drag your stupid ass to the store to pick it up, because what the sweet fuck is "fun" ice cream.  Its sugar and cream and some flavoring...how much more fun do you want it to be?  

Second, why did you send the man out to buy the ice cream if you already bought it?

Third, her tone is so bitchy that I half want him to just throw all the ice cream down the garbage disposal....you asked the man to buy ice cream, he bought ice cream and you're being such a grade A bitch about the entire thing.  

Fourth, the fun ice cream turned out to be a bunch of mini cones.....who the hell is serving that at a dinner party with fancy dresses?  Because let me tell you, if you're worried about being judged by your guests....mini ice cream cones is not going to make people think you're ultra classy.  Trust me, I will be talking shit about your stupid ass dinner/cocktail party/black tie affair if you come at me with some damn mini ice cream cone for dessert.  What, no one could stop by the local Albertsons and pick up a cake?  You thought Blue Bunny mini ice cream cones was going to upgrade your dinner party to a fancy feast?  Is this some sort of key party?

I haven't seen this ad, but this post is perfection, RCharter. I bet it was even raining when the guy had to leave the house for the ice cream. Maybe Blue Bunny has some extra ingredient in that we don't know about that makes it so "fun", like crack or LSD. That must be why the Blue Bunny Bimbo's parties are popular, 'cause it sure as hell can't be the idea of spending an evening with the likes of her. She probably even invited the Dole Wench so they can snob all over everyone together.

• Love 3

I hate the Jim Gaffigan Chrysler "Dad" ads.  Hate them!  They aren't funny and you can't turn around without hitting someone who's a dad, so what's the big deal?  Jeebus!  Go Away!

• Love 10

I'm having a lot of stress in my personal life, so I am taking it out on all the commercials that annoy, irritate and enrage me. The same person in charge of naming "NoNo" must have made the commercial word "smorange". Irritates me.

Today I saw an Honey Nut Cheerios ad where the stupid bee gets stuck inside an almost empty jar. What'll it cost us to keep him there? And can we throw in the Snuggle Bear and Poppin' Fresh?

• Love 7
On 5/13/2016 at 6:17 PM, Bastet said:

Ooh, the original Jake from State Farm ad is back in rotation?  I'll never get sick of that one.  All three actors have absolutely perfect delivery. 

"Uhh, khakis?" never fails to crack me up.

On 5/13/2016 at 2:27 PM, Brattinella said:

I'm that scaredy-cat person too.  I have absolutely NO PROBLEM moving away quickly from someone sneezing/coughing.  Or putting a barrier between me and that person (like another person, or my coat or my purse)  It is NOT cute to allow your child to cough or sneeze with his mouth uncovered, you dullards in the store!

Always use those antiseptic wipes for the cart, too. My sister's kids' childhood sniffles plummeted after she started doing that. I always have visions of some snotty-nosed kid with a leaking diaper having been in the seat of my cart, drooling on the handle and I scrub that sucker!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I hate the Jim Gaffigan Chrysler "Dad" ads.  Hate them!  They aren't funny and you can't turn around without hitting someone who's a dad, so what's the big deal?  Jeebus!  Go Away!

I go back and forth on liking him. It kind of irks me that he and his wife kept having kids when they were all living in a 2 bedroom apartment in Manhattan. Every time he and his wife use them as promotional devices all I can think of is I wonder how they feel about it and wonder what they think of how they had to share a bedroom with so many siblings for so long. I read some article last year that they finally moved though. 

• Love 2

I saw Jim Gaffigan on some talk show where Martha Stewart was also a guest.  Martha was having a barbecue, or something, and invited the host of the show.  Jim then asked if he could go too and Martha kind of hemmed and hawed and said he could. So then Jim asks if he could bring his kids and Martha, very adamantly said NO!   I think he's kind of an ass.

• Love 4

He guest hosted The Late Late Show last year for a few days during the time between Craig leaving and James Corden starting. He had his wife on as a guest co-host and they'd involve the kids in bits even bringing them out on stage and trying to get them to do a routine. Sorry to hijack this thread with my thoughts on him and his wife.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

I saw Jim Gaffigan on some talk show where Martha Stewart was also a guest.  Martha was having a barbecue, or something, and invited the host of the show.  Jim then asked if he could go too and Martha kind of hemmed and hawed and said he could. So then Jim asks if he could bring his kids and Martha, very adamantly said NO!   I think he's kind of an ass.

See, Martha Stewart's not so bad.  

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I love Jim Gaffigan.  But I haven't seen that commercial and I haven't seen him try to host anything.  Not sure that would work

I just like his stand up. 

"Hot Pockets" :)

• Love 5
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I love Jim Gaffigan.  But I haven't seen that commercial and I haven't seen him try to host anything.  Not sure that would work

It didn't. Felt like it was all just plugging his show and chatting with his friends, in a way that felt like being at a party where everyone is ignoring you. Stark contrast to the way Craig chatting with guests felt like a party conversation that you were totally in on even if you didn't say anything. And as that's the only thing I'd seen him in, having him flog products doesn't work either.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

It didn't. Felt like it was all just plugging his show and chatting with his friends, in a way that felt like being at a party where everyone is ignoring you. Stark contrast to the way Craig chatting with guests felt like a party conversation that you were totally in on even if you didn't say anything. And as that's the only thing I'd seen him in, having him flog products doesn't work either.

100% Right On!  When Gaffigan took over for that short while, it was like HOME MOVIES that you are forced to watch.  Damn CBS.

• Love 1
(edited)

This isn't a commercial but I'm sick of seeing the ad at the bottom of the page with the blonde druggie-looking chick with the gawdawful heavy black eye makeup.  Argggghhh!!!

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

What page are you looking at?

The bottom where the Promoted Stories are.  The caption says something about being Donald Trump's daughter.   

(edited)
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

If you use AdBlock Plus, you don't see the Promoted Stories feature.

Ok, thanks!

Just turned it on.  Thank goodness!

Edited by Ohwell

Yeah, AdBlock is great, but I set it on "disable" for the sites that I use on a regular basis (like this one). I like supporting my favorite free pages, and it can interfere with non-ad things. It also has a feature that lets me hide obnoxious features ("elements") on some web-pages, such as unnecessary sidebars.

A new ad for a weed-whacker thingy is apparently targeted at idiots. Yes, you can, in fact, accidentally cut down your flowers with a weed-whacker...if you do your gardening while drunk or stoned maybe. I've only seen it twice, but the rage endures.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Yeah, AdBlock is great, but I set it on "disable" for the sites that I use on a regular basis (like this one). I like supporting my favorite free pages, and it can interfere with non-ad things.

I'm not usually a fan of "Me too" posts, but "me too." I don't get sucked into the ads but I don't mind them as long as they're quiet.

It's not a specific commercial that annoys me, but I watch the early news (Early Today at 4:30 am so REALLY early) and for some reason they run the same commercial multiple times, sometimes with only a ten second ad for another product in between. The Northern toilet paper ad with the kid who's going to use the big vase as a potty...at least 4 times per news show. Culligan water softeners. Sometimes the Carrie Underwood AMERICA WOO makeup ads. Local ads. Jeez. Bugs the hell out of me.

• Love 3

Ugh! Carrie Underwood bugs so much in those Almay commercials. I think it's the way she says American like "Uh-Meri-Kin.

The commercial that's annoying the piss out of me right now is the one for Subaru with the couple who have to decide between taking a dirt road to the unknown or a paved road that apparently leads to a department store. If they take the dirt road, they imagine all kinds of scenarios, like waking up with a skunk on top of the sleeping bag, having to take a crap in the wilderness and encountering unstable hillbillies. But if they go shop for pants, they'll get lost in the men's department while shopping for khakis. Ultimately they choose the dirt road because when you use your Subaru to go buy clothing, you're just literally spinning your wheels. You need to get out there and expose yourself to potential threats from wildlife and mankind. Otherwise the terrorists win. Or something.

• Love 11
On 5/15/2016 at 8:20 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I haven't seen this ad, but this post is perfection, RCharter. I bet it was even raining when the guy had to leave the house for the ice cream. Maybe Blue Bunny has some extra ingredient in that we don't know about that makes it so "fun", like crack or LSD. That must be why the Blue Bunny Bimbo's parties are popular, 'cause it sure as hell can't be the idea of spending an evening with the likes of her. She probably even invited the Dole Wench so they can snob all over everyone together.

I can't help it....these dairy bitches bring out the worst in me!

I love the idea that she may be running some Blue Bunny drug den :)

I just saw a commercial with a Dole fruit cup COUPLE......the people at Dole are giving the dairy shrews a run for their money because those people are the pits.

2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Ugh! Carrie Underwood bugs so much in those Almay commercials. I think it's the way she says American like "Uh-Meri-Kin.

The commercial that's annoying the piss out of me right now is the one for Subaru with the couple who have to decide between taking a dirt road to the unknown or a paved road that apparently leads to a department store. If they take the dirt road, they imagine all kinds of scenarios, like waking up with a skunk on top of the sleeping bag, having to take a crap in the wilderness and encountering unstable hillbillies. But if they go shop for pants, they'll get lost in the men's department while shopping for khakis. Ultimately they choose the dirt road because when you use your Subaru to go buy clothing, you're just literally spinning your wheels. You need to get out there and expose yourself to potential threats from wildlife and mankind. Otherwise the terrorists win. Or something.

Is that what that commercial's about?  I find it confusing.  I know I'm supposed to buy a Subaru, but I don't know why because everything they do looks awful.

First they are buying awful khakis under florescent lights, and then they are sleeping outside with a skunk and some guys from deliverance show up.  

I don't want to do either of those things, so why am I buying a Subaru again?

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, RCharter said:

I know I'm supposed to buy a Subaru, but I don't know why because everything they do looks awful.

How about a compromise, like a dirt road leading to a state/national park instead of somebody's land. If they're going to get lost in a store, it's guaranteed that they're going to need somebody to save their butts in the woods.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

How about a compromise, like a dirt road leading to a state/national park instead of somebody's land. If they're going to get lost in a store, it's guaranteed that they're going to need somebody to save their butts in the woods.

Yeah, or camping in the woods and seeing a beautiful deer...or a badass honeybadger (those don't live in the woods, right?)  

Or maybe a Subaru that drives through the mall to find you while you're trying on terrible Dockers....and do people still try on pants by just putting them up to themselves in the mirror?  They were literally right in front of the dressing room....just go in and try on the pants!

Either way, I think you're onto something, you should contact Subaru, because their current commercial is a mess!

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2

The woman bugs me with her constant blank stare. Are we supposed to infer that she's mute? 

• Love 2

The "PULL THAT PEACH" Yoplait commercial makes me want to kill someone. Slightly less annoying, but still annoying is the Yoplait commercial where Mom, Dad, and their two kids are eating yogurt and saying, "mmmmmm" after every spoonful. On the other hand, the Yoplait commercial where the guy compliments the cow and then runs away is delightful.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Brattinella said:

OMG The tattoo girl!!  Surely someone could not be that insolent to a paying customer, especially a big bruiser like him?

Especially one that looks like he could take her head off.

Also, I just saw that Blue Bunny ad, and while it's an annoying as shit, it's kind of funny that the guy says, "We are?" when his nag of a wife goes, "We're fun people, Tom!" Like he didn't know, and why would he, since he's married to her?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

OMG The tattoo girl!!  Surely someone could not be that insolent to a paying customer, especially a big bruiser like him?

How do you know he's a paying customer? That could be his girlfriend giving him some ink as a favor. And maybe for practice. That's a pretty cheesy work area.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, fishcakes said:

The "PULL THAT PEACH" Yoplait commercial makes me want to kill someone.

I haven't seen the commercial yet, but "PULL THAT PEACH" makes me imagine a cross between J. Alfred Prufrock and Lagosi in Glen or Glenda which involves yogurt:

I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to PULL THE PEACH?

Pull the Peach! A mistake is made, a story must be told

The Big Green Yoplait sits on your doorstep

Made from puppy dog tails and big fat snails

11 hours ago, mmecorday said:

That couple not be allowed to drive anything larger than a bicycle, let alone a Subaru. In fact, they shouldn't even be allowed out of the house without adult supervision and helmets.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, fishcakes said:

On the other hand, the Yoplait commercial where the guy compliments the cow and then runs away is delightful.

I don't get why he runs away.  Is he afraid how the cow will react?

• Love 1

Just saw a new Panera commercial and the couple is eating a salad very delicately--not cramming it down their throats.  I wonder if the ad folks read message boards.   

• Love 3