Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I wonder if the ad folks read message boards.   

I'm sure Panera and their ad folks are gathering feedback through Facebook, Twitter, and any other social media sites they think are currently popular.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I don't get why he runs away.  Is he afraid how the cow will react?

I'm pretty sure he wants to sex up that cow...or has sexed up that cow....or has thought dirty things about the cow while eating the yogurt.  

He'll be back later for that cow....this is just part of his seduction.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, Amethyst said:

The "Sorry" commercials for Milky Way are terrible.  I don't want to see people being jerks.  The tattoo girl is the worst of the lot.

I HATE that commercial.  Are Milky Ways that good that you just lose yourself eating one?  I've had a Milky Way and I didn't think it was THAT good.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, RCharter said:

I'm pretty sure he wants to sex up that cow...or has sexed up that cow....or has thought dirty things about the cow while eating the yogurt.  

The cow looks terrified of that pervert.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

I HATE that commercial.  Are Milky Ways that good that you just lose yourself eating one?  I've had a Milky Way and I didn't think it was THAT good.

I generally buy way, way, way too much candy for Halloween and end up eating a bunch of mini Milky Ways.  They are delicious, but I haven't had to issue apologies.

Just now, Ohwell said:

The cow looks terrified of that pervert.

I know right!!!!  She is all alone, I'm scared for her too.

• Love 5
(edited)

I kinda feel bad for saying this.  But I will anyway. :)  
There's this commercial for a heart drug Entresto, and they have various people singing "Tomorrow."  Anyway, the grandfather just looks and sounds so creepy singing at the end holding his little grandbaby.  If I were the parent, I'd just gently remove my child from creepy ol' grandpa. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A5E8/entresto-tomorrow

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, RCharter said:

I bet I know one or two of his favorite songs.

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 8:54 AM, chessiegal said:

"Hot Pockets" :)

"Diarrhea Pockets!"

I am currently hating on that pregnancy test commercial they play ad nauseam on Hulu. I think it's ClearBlue easy. The way that very first woman says "Preeegnnaaaaant" in that sing-song-y, overly affected way as she holds up the test just bugs the ever-loving shit out of me.

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 2

I am currently hating on that pregnancy test commercial they play ad nauseam on Hulu. I think it's ClearBlue easy. The way that very first woman says "Preeegnnaaaaant" in that sing-song-y, overly affected way as she holds up the test just bugs the ever-loving shit out of me.

Not her, but the group of women all squealing at the pregnant one - making the weirdest damn faces. I can't tell if they're happy or crying or screaming in terror.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 5:26 PM, Brattinella said:

OMG The tattoo girl!!  Surely someone could not be that insolent to a paying customer, especially a big bruiser like him?

Everything they show people doing takes more than a few minutes.  It's not like she just started on the wrong letter or he couldn't see what she's doing.  And she is taking the first bite out of her Milky Way.  Does she eat them constantly?  Is she going blind from extremely high blood sugar?  SMH

11 hours ago, RCharter said:

That man wants to give that cow a big ol' dose of his homemade yogurt.

• Love 7

I know it's been mentioned before but I really, really, REALLY hate that fruit cup commercial. The tone of "Oh, they're drainers" like they're so gross and are eating dog poo. I want smash the cup of fruit with syrup right in her face. Why would advertisers think people would want to buy a product with such a smug asshole promoting it? GAH!!

• Love 14
(edited)
2 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

I know it's been mentioned before but I really, really, REALLY hate that fruit cup commercial. The tone of "Oh, they're drainers" like they're so gross and are eating dog poo. I want smash the cup of fruit with syrup right in her face. Why would advertisers think people would want to buy a product with such a smug asshole promoting it? GAH!!

I used to think that way, and then I realized that one person's smug is another person's snark.  It's like the commercial for the pregnancy test.  I think the women running around screaming are silly, but a friend of mine thought it was sweet, "they're REALLY happy for her," she said.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Muffyn said:

It's not like she just started on the wrong letter or he couldn't see what she's doing.

In a professional setting like that, there would have been a stencil that he had a chance to see.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

In a professional setting like that, there would have been a stencil that he had a chance to see.

Tattooists always seem to be portrayed as such intimidating and insolent thugs on TV! And often their workplaces look grimy and menacing too. I remember once on Pretty Little Liars, two characters got tattoos--walk-ins--and one just plunked herself down in the chair and when she was done, the other did the same! Now, obviously no one wants to see paperwork and age verification, but come on now.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, bitchin camaro said:

This may have already been discussed, but the Johnson & Johnson ad honoring hospice nurses - it says some people believe a window should be open so the soul can leave, then the nurse closes the window and says "not tonight". That's some horseshit - hospice isn't about keeping people alive longer or keeping the soul in a body that can't function anymore. Hospice nurses are truly angels among us (and I say that as a 100% non-religious person) and this doesn't represent their mission well at all. I don't have a dog in the fight, so I'm not sure why it burns me up so bad - maybe it's that it's hard enough approaching the end of life without some baby powder company telling us we're doing it on the wrong timeline. Grrrrr.

I agree SO MUCH!  Hospice nurses are there for comfort and support, like ice chips or more morphine.  This commercial really does them a disservice.  I'm insulted on their behalf.

• Love 10

I really dislike commercials where people are complete douchebags to one another. There's a commercial for Joe's Crab Shack featuring a young boy with a good-sized crab clamping down on his nose. Fortunately, Mom is there to offer him a very condescending "You wanted a pet, Billy. Pets are a lot of work." I know it's supposed to be funny, but the mother just takes such a smug tone that I can't. 

There is a rather mean-spirited Blue Bunny commercial where a dog wearing one of those protective cones watches a little girl eating an ice cream cone. It drips on the picnic table seat, and the poor dog can't reach it with his tongue because of the cone. The girl, her hands covered in melted ice cream, turns to the dog and says "all gone," sticky fingers just out of reach. Nothing makes me want a scoop of ice cream more than watching an injured animal be mocked. Not.

• Love 16
On 5/18/2016 at 11:27 AM, Neurochick said:

It's a decent candy bar, (not quite 100 Grand) but it definitely doesn't justify such rudeness.  I don't know why advertisers think viewers want to see other people acting like assholes.

That's a really good point about the Johnson & Johnson ad.  It really puts a damper on an otherwise decent commercial, and they should have just left that window part out entirely.

• Love 3

What in the name of all that is holy is up with those Snyder's pretzel commercials?  That woman is like something out of The Exorcist.  She looks evil, that is the worst wig I've ever seen outside of Game of Thrones, and she makes me want to run screaming from the pretzel aisle.

• Love 9
On 5/11/2016 at 8:01 PM, Brattinella said:

You know how you get nasty stains on the armpits of t-shirts?  The BEST way to use anti-perspirant is to apply before bedtime.  I swear by it.  It not only doesn't stain your clothes, it lasts 24 hours, just like if you put it on before getting dressed.

How odd that I was just thinking about this today and Googling for solutions. THANK YOU!  Going to give this a try. Without a confetti cannon of course.

• Love 3

There's a Febreze commercial in which the mother tells her teen son they need to "wash" his stinky room because he has (girl) friends coming over. Then they spray (nauseating, IMO) Febreze everywhere. I'm so glad there's no "smellovision," but I wish the girls would show up, and, instead of saying how nice it smells, they would put their hands over their noses and back out of the room, then run away yelling to each other, "What was that horrible, smell?!" Maybe one would gag or actually puke in the bushes.

• Love 11

Febreze makes my throat close up--can't use it (and don't want to!).

Just saw the Blue Bunny commercial with the dog for the first time. The girl seems like a tiny little mean adult; something is too mature about her demeanor--like she's not just being a dumb kid unknowingly teasing the dog. If she is that calculating, she should certainly be able to eat neater! Gross. Also, I hate when people lick their fingers with an audible "pop!" sound.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, smittykins said:

I'm surprised Febreze Mom allows her son to have girls in his bedroom unsupervised.  That totally would've been a no-no in my family.

Maybe her ulterior motive for spraying Febreze was to use it as birth control.

• Love 11
(edited)
9 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

It's an air freshener! It's a spermicide!

Or, if not a spermicide:
Febreze! It's an air "freshener!" It creates spermaphobia!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
On 4/30/2016 at 1:33 PM, ari333 said:

Im not annoyed but I feel sad when those heart failure patients sing "the sun will come out tomorrow" *sigh*......sad

Color me annoyed.   Their voices are like fingernails on chalkboard.    Get off my TV.

• Love 3
On 4/30/2016 at 9:55 PM, bluepiano said:

I hate all commercials (and there are several currently running) in which your basic average looking American suburban white people show their enthusiasm for a product by doing some exaggerated, spasmodic dance routine. Especially when it's faux disco or hip hop.

The only thing worse may be commercials with white suburban types rapping. Thankfully those seem to have gone out of style.

I'm surprised there aren't cries of racism due to all the commercials that feature black people and families spontaneously dancing.   It seems to perpetuate the "black people have rhythm" stereotype.   Unless I'm wrong and black families regularly get up and dance over things like macaroni and cheese and air freshener.

• Love 2
On 5/2/2016 at 8:39 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

I'm bothered by that Entresto commercial. It's sad and rather sick.

The Xarelto one truly irritates me.   It features Kevin Nealon, Arnold Palmer and some other guy behaving like entitled assholes while they share quips about Xarelto.  Bizarrely, they are all dressed in shades of purple and pink (Xarelto's color is a shade of purple, I think).   In this neck of TV-land, this commercial is often followed by a "1-800-BAD-DRUG" type of commercial with an ominous voice intoning "Have you suffered fatal or crippling effects after using Xarelto?  Contact the law firm of Victor Slippenphall" or something like that.   It makes Nealon, Palmer and the other guy look like the worst kind of shills, willing to push any pharmaceutical even if it may hurt people.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I think she is a pretty good mom to tell her son the truth about his stinky room.  Better her than his girlfriend!

She might want to worry a bit if the kid wants to reapply the Fabreze after the girls leave.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Sandman87 said:

She might want to worry a bit if the kid wants to reapply the Fabreze after the girls leave.

I don't think she has to worry about it, she'll find out when she has to wash his sheets.

• Love 4

I also dislike commercials clearly targeted at the 1% crowd, people who have oodles of money to spend, everyone else need not apply -- i.e., the Lexus red bow Christmas commercials.

The one currently in my sights is the Tina Fey credit card commercial, where Tina strolls into stores acting like they exist merely for her amusement and willing to spend any amount of money on a whim, even if it's buying collectibles for her dog.   She seems concerned about no one but herself and how funny she is.   When the check-out guy expresses his concern that her dog is walking on a surface other people place food upon, she blows him off with a joke, then leads an army of store employees, their arms stacked with merchandise, out to her waiting limousine.

Stick with Sarah Palin bit, Tina.

• Love 6

Whats sad is that the Tina Fey/AMEX commercials started out really funny....more of her self deprecating humor, which I think really works.  But it does start to feel a little like she is rubbing it in when she is using the card to just go on shopping sprees.  I don't think its the worst commercial ever....its just not entirely likable, IMO.  

• Love 2

There is a new batch of Panera "Clean Food" drivel.  Now they believe there should be text over the picture telling us that all Panera salads are clean.  So....is that a reminder, a disclaimer, or a warning?

• Love 3
On 5/19/2016 at 9:07 AM, frenchtoast said:

I wonder if they're kin to the assholes in the Hebrew National hot dog commercials (paraphrasing) "Unlike your heathen-ass hot dogs, ours are blessed!"

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/30/2016 at 1:33 PM, ari333 said:

Im not annoyed but I feel sad when those heart failure patients sing "the sun will come out tomorrow" *sigh*......sad

Here's a slightly different take:  I've been taking Entresto for about two months now.  Nothing like being reminded by a commercial, once per hour on a daily basis, that today might be my last day on Earth.  Their marketing department really could have come up with a better pitch.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
Edited for clarity and to fix typo
  • Love 17
6 hours ago, arejay said:

There is a new batch of Panera "Clean Food" drivel.  Now they believe there should be text over the picture telling us that all Panera salads are clean.  So....is that a reminder, a disclaimer, or a warning?

I think "clean" is more a religious thing, like "certified kosher."  (for eco-friendly, health-conscious, upper-middle-class liberals).

FWIW, I've enjoyed everything I've eaten at Panera, and I'm only liberal and eco-sympathetic.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Here's a slightly different take:  I've been taking Entresto for about two months now.  Nothing like being reminded, one per hour on a daily basis, that today might be my last day on Earth.  Their marketing department really could have come up with a better pitch.

Wait...you have to take one of these pills every hour on the hour?  24 pills a day?  Wow.  Hope you're doing okay.

The new Panera ads are just as annoying as the "soup and sandwich, and new Prius, and moving back in with my parents, and sandwich and soup" assholes.  Same twinky sounding girl (BTW - it's pronounced "salad", not "solid" and "food", not "fewd", douchebag) only these new ninnies are sitting on their front porch out in the middle of nowhere, hear a noise, and run inside to hide.  Makes me wish an enormous animal, or several different animals, would leap out of the bushes, eat the Panera swilling assholes, belch and wander off muttering "clean" under their breath.

• Love 5
Just now, CarpeDiem54 said:

Wait...you have to take one of these pills every hour on the hour?  24 pills a day?  Wow.  Hope you're doing okay.

Maybe they meant once per hour when it comes to that commercial airing?

• Love 4