Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Lillybee said:

I hope that I am not the only one with an issue with the Binge Eating Disorder commercials. I think that it is a made up disorder to try and sell people some kind of uppers that no one really needs. Who among us hasn't binged on occasion?

is that what that commercial is about?  interesting.

I had the Roadside Assist with Progressive. The one time I needed it, it was Sunday and they're closed on Sunday.  WTF?  I rapidly got the AARP roadside program, which is run by Allstate.  With an aging car, I felt it was necessary.

I used to have a bright turquoise car that nearly glowed in the dark, yet was run-into THREE times by people coming out of businesses' driveways (they weren't backing up - all 3 of 'em came at me driving forward.) I never had an issue with towing the poor thing to the dealer's body shop for repair.  I used to call it my invisible car.  Never got a speeding ticket, either. First road trip after I got the new car, WHAM - $162 speeding ticket in southern Virginia. My insurance rate went up next renewal period, but after 3 years, it automatically decreased.

• Love 3
On June 3, 2016 at 8:57 AM, fishcakes said:

I have an irrational, teeth-gnashing hatred for the AARP United Healthcare commercial where the retired couple is on a drive.

Wife: We have to talk.
Husband: I took out the garbage!
Wife: [using her, "Good dog!" voice] I know! And thank you for that!

The entire commercial is moronic, but that part of it by itself sends me into a rage. I think it's because it suggests that the wife is a nag and the husband is a sloth, that the wife has essentially become her husband's mother and uses positive reinforcement when he does his chores, and that taking out the garbage is the man's job meaning they're still holding on to the concept of men's work vs. women's work. My view on the matter is that when the garbage can is full, whoever is standing next to it should take it out. I have no husband, and yet my house is not full of garbage. I somehow manage to accomplish the great masculine feat of closing the bag with a twist tie and walking it out to the can in the backyard two or three times a week. Then once a week, I move the can in the backyard to the alley and then move it back when it's empty. I also vote and sometimes wear pants.

I just saw that commercial yesterday. I had hoped it had gone to where bad commercials go to die.

Two other things that grate on my nerves.....1) any commercial where people are WAY too chipper for the subject matter. It's insurance. Wipe that perma-grin off your face. And, 2) the long pauses in between lines drives me nuts. After she says "we need to talk", the pause is so long that I wondered if he forgot his line. And that continues throughout the rest of the commercial.

• Love 3
(edited)

I saw this commercial for Skintimate shaving cream, and I felt blinding-hot Feminist Rage (registered trademark). First, the woman can't go somewhere with her friend or whover because she hasn't shaved her legs? Second, another woman appears in her bathroom, and is called "Pink Sweater". Let's not even call her a person, Skintimate! Third, they bounce around in a manic dance and the whole thing's like a fever dream.

I think teens and young women are the demographic for using that shite, so good job, marketing jackasses of America for continuing to make young women feel like 1) they are only the clothes they wear and 2) they are gross for having (gasp!) leg hair.

Edited by bilgistic
Forgot to include the insipidly stupid commercial, not that I encourage watching it.
  • Love 9
27 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

The one with the women trimming topiaries-as-pubic hair gives me coronaries. The women's shaving industry can fuck right off.

Yea that one's the worst. My mom just saw that one and got very angry about it. I'd love to see a guy use one of those dumb things.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I saw this commercial for Skintimate shaving cream, and I felt blinding-hot Feminist Rage (registered trademark). First, the woman can't go somewhere with her friend or whover because she hasn't shaved her legs? Second, another woman appears in her bathroom, and is called "Pink Sweater". Let's not even call her a person, Skintimate! Third, they bounce around in a manic dance and the whole thing's like a fever dream.

I think teens and young women are the demographic for using that shite, so good job, marketing jackasses of America for continuing to make young women feel like 1) they are only the clothes they wear and 2) they are gross for having (gasp!) leg hair.

Is that the ladies shave gel/razor commercial where she is DANCING around and flexing her legs on the barre, and shaving with NO WATER??  WTF?  Does anyone here DO that?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Lillybee said:

I hope that I am not the only one with an issue with the Binge Eating Disorder commercials. I think that it is a made up disorder to try and sell people some kind of uppers that no one really needs. Who among us hasn't binged on occasion?

Binge eating disorder is more than just the occasional binge.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Is that the ladies shave gel/razor commercial where she is DANCING around and flexing her legs on the barre, and shaving with NO WATER??  WTF?  Does anyone here DO that?

I've certainly never danced around in glee over shaving anything, nor has any woman I've ever known, and all of them shave more frequently than I do. For some reason, most of those leg-shaving (and hair removal--Nair's "We wear short shorts") commercials have women dancing. No one dances about shaving. No one.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Those other women are live versions of emojis, that are universally loved in texting. The names applied to them are the names of the emojis.

Speaking of shaving. I get furious when I see the commercial where the guy texts his girlfriend that he's coming over and bringing his mom. He should have given her more notice, because despite being gorgeous, she lives like a freaking pig. She starts shoving things under the rug with her leg whilst simultaneously shaving said leg, and her house is just disgusting. I don't know why it makes me so stabby. Reminds me of Friends, when Ross dated the beautiful girl with rats running around her filthy apartment.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, RCharter said:

I've run out of gas 2x.....there is nothing more embarrassing.....oh, I take that back.....one year I locked myself out of my car 4 times.   AAA finally sent me a letter letting me know I could get a spare key made free since it seemed like I needed one.

I locked myself out of my running vehicle when I hopped out at the mailbox and automatically hit the locks as I did so. I had a spare key, but it was in the apartment and the key to that was -you guessed it- also locked in the car. I walked down to the apartment office and paid them $25 to let me back into my apartment so I could retrieve the spare car key. I'm actually quite fond of AAA. I once gave away one of my yearly service calls to some poor idiot who'd spun off the road in a freak snowstorm one spring while wearing shorts and flip-flops. Did a good deed and it made me feel like "Hey, at least I'm not as bad as this schmuck."

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Those other women are live versions of emojis, that are universally loved in texting. The names applied to them are the names of the emojis.

I think this is even worse than "pink sweater". A woman is reduced to a cartoon character?

By contrast, here is a men's razor commercial I've seen several times today.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/74Mm/gillette-mach3-turbo-ten-shaves-song-by-underworld

We're seeing the razor and how it works. And the guy gets an approving woman coming into his bathroom, giving him the literal eye (I don't get that part, actually), instead of "dancing" around maniacally.

• Love 2

This board is "Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage". The Skintimate commercial outrages me, and I stated several reasons why, and provided a counter example that isn't outraging. Just because one thinks a social construct--or any other thing, for that matter--doesn't exist doesn't make it not exist.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Rick Kitchen said:

No, the woman is not reduced to a cartoon character, the emojis existed before the ad, the women are representing the emojis.

Which makes the ad even dumber and more annoying for me.

• Love 7

This emoji discussion leads me to a commercial that I hate. It's one of those tedious Chevy focus group ads where our intrepid group of focusers must describe the vehicle they're presented with in emojis. First of all, why? What new insight will this glean that you can't get from, you know, words? The answers are predictably inane. I dislike the entire Chevy focus group series of ads, but this one and the power saw one stick out as particularly annoying.

And while I'm on the subject of car commercials, Jeep can take their buttrockin' 4x4 ads and drive straight to hell.

• Love 8
On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:29 PM, Madding crowd said:

That's true I guess. The blown glass wouldn't be in a sterling or gold setting though. I don't know, I think brown diamonds are ugly, but I just meant that some people might like them. All objects are only worth what someone will pay for them. If you are buying something to wear yourself, all that matters is that you like it and think you are paying a fair price. 

I tried comparing the prices of stud earrings with regular diamonds and chocolate diamonds on the Jarod website.  It's hard to tell because it varies by setting and metal (wth is vanilla gold?), but the chocolate diamond studs are still in the 2-3k price range, so yeah, if you're buying from Jarod, you're paying too much for industrial quality crap.  Other places might not be so overpriced; Jarod is a rip-off on everything.

• Love 2
On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:20 PM, merylinkid said:

Tow coverage is also called "roadside assist."   You weren;t in an accident, but your car is not drivable for some reason -- flat tire, dead battery, locked your keys in the car, etc.   INstead of also having to have AAA, you just add it on to your insurance police for like $9 and you are all set.   The towing is free to the nearest dealer (you can go to your own mechanic).   Or rather than a tow, they put the spare on for you, pop the lock, jump start your car.   

That's the coverage I didn't realize I had.  For non-accident related towing.

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:13 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I had the Roadside Assist with Progressive. The one time I needed it, it was Sunday and they're closed on Sunday.  WTF?  I rapidly got the AARP roadside program, which is run by Allstate.  With an aging car, I felt it was necessary.

I used to have a bright turquoise car that nearly glowed in the dark, yet was run-into THREE times by people coming out of businesses' driveways (they weren't backing up - all 3 of 'em came at me driving forward.) I never had an issue with towing the poor thing to the dealer's body shop for repair.  I used to call it my invisible car.  Never got a speeding ticket, either. First road trip after I got the new car, WHAM - $162 speeding ticket in southern Virginia. My insurance rate went up next renewal period, but after 3 years, it automatically decreased.

With mine (Erie), I paid for the towing and then was reimbursed by the insurance company.  Did I mention that I love Erie?

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

This emoji discussion leads me to a commercial that I hate. It's one of those tedious Chevy focus group ads where our intrepid group of focusers must describe the vehicle they're presented with in emojis. First of all, why? What new insight will this glean that you can't get from, you know, words? The answers are predictably inane. I dislike the entire Chevy focus group series of ads, but this one and the power saw one stick out as particularly annoying.

And while I'm on the subject of car commercials, Jeep can take their buttrockin' 4x4 ads and drive straight to hell.

Plus, the 'real people' have to explain what the freaking emojis mean.  If someone else can't understand what the emoji even means, doesn't that defeat the point of using the idiotic things?  At least the smiley face emoticons are relatively self-explanatory.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Plus, the 'real people' have to explain what the freaking emojis mean.  If someone else can't understand what the emoji even means, doesn't that defeat the point of using the idiotic things?  At least the smiley face emoticons are relatively self-explanatory.

I foresee a career opportunity for Sarah Hyland.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I tried comparing the prices of stud earrings with regular diamonds and chocolate diamonds on the Jarod website.  It's hard to tell because it varies by setting and metal (wth is vanilla gold?), but the chocolate diamond studs are still in the 2-3k price range, so yeah, if you're buying from Jarod, you're paying too much for industrial quality crap.

Vanilla gold is a type of white gold. Is Jarod in the habit of cutting deals to customers? There could be some appeal to folks who want to look like they're wealthier than they really are.

3 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

If someone else can't understand what the emoji even means, doesn't that defeat the point of using the idiotic things?  At least the smiley face emoticons are relatively self-explanatory.

You'd think so, but there was a segment on The Internet Ruined My Life about someone who didn't understand what a crying smiley face meant.

1 hour ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I wouldn't be good on that panel. I'd use the poop emoji just to piss them off.

• Love 12

I feel like I've been watching the commercials for Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty products since about 1985. This must be some popular snake oil. Do people really believe that Cindy Crawford looks the way she does because she smears some melon extract on her face? She has good genes, she's obviously taken really good care of her health and she probably has access to certain medical procedures unavailable to mere mortals. Mostly I cannot stand the women in the commercial who are pushing the stuff. They act like creepy cult members.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

At least he's not asking trick math questions or performing lame David Blaine magic tricks on them.

1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

You'd think so, but there was a segment on The Internet Ruined My Life about someone who didn't understand what a crying smiley face meant.

If memory serves, she knew what she was doing but accidentally pushed the wrong button (I think they were adjacent on her tiny phone) and didn't proofread her message before posting it.

Oh god, that "special soap for lady parts" commercial is back -- the guy in the shower, who learns he's using soap "perfectly formulated for a woman's V" and thus has to run around doing a series of macho things to preserve his masculinity.  There is so much to hate about this commercial:  Referring to the vulva as "V."  The fact I suspect the word they're actually replacing is vagina, because they don't understand female anatomy enough to know what is being washed is not the vagina, but the external genitalia.  Implying women's genitals are so foul they need special cleaning products.  And then, of course, that idiot's soap-induced emasculation complex.

• Love 23
(edited)
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh god, that "special soap for lady parts" commercial is back -- the guy in the shower, who learns he's using soap "perfectly formulated for a woman's V" and thus has to run around doing a series of macho things to preserve his masculinity.  There is so much to hate about this commercial:  Referring to the vulva as "V."  The fact I suspect the word they're actually replacing is vagina, because they don't understand female anatomy enough to know what is being washed is not the vagina, but the external genitalia.  Implying women's genitals are so foul they need special cleaning products.  And then, of course, that idiot's soap-induced emasculation complex.

It probably wouldn't make it past the censors if they used the word vulva during a commercial, but it's still so annoyingly childish to call it "a woman's V", as if we're all too stupid to know what she means. The man is equally dumb for thinking using the soap is going to turn him into a chick, but considering that his girlfriend is using words a third-grader would say, it's not surprising that he's a moron as well.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

It probably wouldn't make it past the censors if they used the word vulva during a commercial, but it's still so annoyingly childish to call it "a woman's V", as if we're all too stupid to know what she means. The man is equally dumb for thinking using the soap is going to turn him into a chick, but considering that his girlfriend is using words a third-grader would say, it's not surprising that he's a moron as well.

Definitely. The commercial alone makes me want to /facepalm.

• Love 4

Have we talked about the Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard commercials recently? The latest is shilling a refrigerator that has a camera in it, so if you're at the grocery store you can open an app on your phone that will show you the inside of your refrigerator and you can see if you're out of eggs or milk or whatever. Except when Dax calls his wife and asks if they need eggs she's right there in the kitchen making melon balls and wants him to use his phone app to look in the fridge because she's too damn obsessive about her melon balls to - you know - turn the hell around and open the fridge. Jeez.

I want to know how this camera works and how many there are in the fridge because will it show you all the shelves, what's in the door racks, in the drawers? Weird. How rich you must be to afford a fridge with cameras in it.

The other one that bugs me is the girl who has the Enterprise Rent-A-Car guy pick her up at what looks like a family reunion and then tries to pass him off as her boyfriend so all her relatives will stop asking her when she's going to meet someone. The problem is - as soon as the guy shows up he says "Hi I'm so-and-so from Enterprise Rental" so that should blow the whole plan up right there. And - how in the hell did he even know which one she was and where to find her among all those people in the park?? And is she really renting a car or did she just make a reservation so this guy would show up and she could pretend he's her boyfriend? Cuz that kind of makes him a gigolo. 

• Love 6

The Enterprise one always bugs.   Let's make some total stranger uncomfortable by making him be your fake boyfriend so YOU don't have to be uncomfortable around your family.    He rents cars.   He does not make enough money to put up with that kind of embarassment/harassment.

• Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Vanilla gold is a type of white gold. Is Jarod in the habit of cutting deals to customers? There could be some appeal to folks who want to look like they're wealthier than they really are.

I watched that episode......I think that poor girl just accidentally picked the wrong one because they were right next to each other, and they are the size of a pinky nail.  She thought she picked sad crying face, and she picked smiling crying face.  This is one of the many reasons I shun emoji's unless its a simple and very clear one like a smiley face, frowny face, or the dude with the sunglasses.

I think with the Jared/Jarod thing, my only beef is that if you just want to look wealthier than you are, you should get a cubic zirconia.  If you're paying 2-3k for some diamonds its because you are convinced that they have some value beyond just being pretty.....which seems a bit scammy.  But that is really just me, I don't get the value of super expensive jewelry at all, I just want it for its "pretty" value, so I buy my stuff pretty cheap.  The only expensive pieces I have are what my parents buy me.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Have we talked about the Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard commercials recently? The latest is shilling a refrigerator that has a camera in it, so if you're at the grocery store you can open an app on your phone that will show you the inside of your refrigerator and you can see if you're out of eggs or milk or whatever. Except when Dax calls his wife and asks if they need eggs she's right there in the kitchen making melon balls and wants him to use his phone app to look in the fridge because she's too damn obsessive about her melon balls to - you know - turn the hell around and open the fridge. Jeez.

I want to know how this camera works and how many there are in the fridge because will it show you all the shelves, what's in the door racks, in the drawers? Weird. How rich you must be to afford a fridge with cameras in it.

My thing is this.  When I go to the grocery store I either remember or forget something.  Its not that I'm sitting in the grocery store thinking "do I need eggs?"  No, I know I need eggs, I just walk out of the store and totally forget to buy them, or I forgot to put them on the list.  Maybe its different if you have a family, but when I open the refrigerator and I see that the milk/water/eggs are low.  If someone came up to me at the grocery store and said "hey, R, are you low on eggs" I'd be like "oh yeah, I just totally forgot to get them!"  Well, I would also sprinkle in a few expletives as I realized I had to go back and buy them...but still.

So, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't need a fridge camera.

• Love 3

So annoying The ID channel's promotion of the Missing Women program that begins tonight.

A "lady of the night" with pink hair and piercings shocked that someone is "Killing people with LOVE"!!!

They are NOT killing them with love, you idiot.  They are killing with hatred.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Ghost Recon said:

So annoying The ID channel's promotion of the Missing Women program that begins tonight.

A "lady of the night" with pink hair and piercings shocked that someone is "Killing people with LOVE"!!!

They are NOT killing them with love, you idiot.  They are killing with hatred.

at the very least they are killing people with a knife, or a gun....but probably not love....

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

If memory serves, she knew what she was doing but accidentally pushed the wrong button (I think they were adjacent on her tiny phone) and didn't proofread her message before posting it.

She said that she saw the tears but didn't notice that it was smiling. How could anyone not, unless they didn't think it mattered?

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Who puts peanut butter on a grilled cheese?

They probably saw "peanut allergy" and only read the word "peanut" and thought they wanted peanut butter in it...or the person who made the sandwich is a vengeful person bent on hurting a child (not sarcastic).  

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

So I do a lot of online surveys and such online to earn extra money and last year I did a survey on this concept for a refrigerator, so I guess you can say that I had a wee part in bringing this idea to market! You're Welcome! LOL (as I am pelted with cyber tomatoes).  The concept of having cameras in the refrigerator seemed like a neat idea to me, but there was supposed to be a lot more too it.  It was supposed to be more like a "family message center" where you could not only leave messages for your family on the screen, but it would be sent to them straight to their phone (yes, i know we have text messages, but I think you were supposed to send food related notes, like a reminder to pick up milk with one touch of a button).  Also, I think there was a feature that would alert you (on your smartphone) if something was removed from the refrigerator too....which would be loads of fun at my house...and would probably end the argument of who ate my leftovers, since it would be caught on camera, LOL!!!

I absolutely hated that last Kristen and Dax commercial about the slop sink built into the washer.  How freaking petrified of upsetting their kid were they?  Apparently so petrified that they gave their kid a WET TOY to play with.  Gee wiz, grow a pair.  Tell your kid they will get their stuffie back in like an hour. It builds character!

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The other one that bugs me is the girl who has the Enterprise Rent-A-Car guy pick her up at what looks like a family reunion and then tries to pass him off as her boyfriend so all her relatives will stop asking her when she's going to meet someone. The problem is - as soon as the guy shows up he says "Hi I'm so-and-so from Enterprise Rental" so that should blow the whole plan up right there. And - how in the hell did he even know which one she was and where to find her among all those people in the park?? And is she really renting a car or did she just make a reservation so this guy would show up and she could pretend he's her boyfriend? Cuz that kind of makes him a gigolo. 

What if a girl came to pick her up? Now that would have made for an interesting discussion and her family would have definitely stopped asking when she would meet a nice guy!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, notyrmomma said:

How freaking petrified of upsetting their kid were they?  Apparently so petrified that they gave their kid a WET TOY to play with.  Gee wiz, grow a pair.  Tell your kid they will get their stuffie back in like an hour. It builds character!

^^^ THIS.  Don't create special snowflakes, folks!

• Love 8
On 6/5/2016 at 4:00 PM, butterbody said:

Speaking of shaving. I get furious when I see the commercial where the guy texts his girlfriend that he's coming over and bringing his mom. He should have given her more notice, because despite being gorgeous, she lives like a freaking pig. She starts shoving things under the rug with her leg whilst simultaneously shaving said leg, and her house is just disgusting. I don't know why it makes me so stabby. Reminds me of Friends, when Ross dated the beautiful girl with rats running around her filthy apartment.

It makes you stabby because it implies that women who don't shave their legs on a daily basis do so because they are slobs.

21 hours ago, bilgistic said:

By contrast, here is a men's razor commercial I've seen several times today.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/74Mm/gillette-mach3-turbo-ten-shaves-song-by-underworld

We're seeing the razor and how it works. And the guy gets an approving woman coming into his bathroom, giving him the literal eye (I don't get that part, actually), instead of "dancing" around maniacally.

If it makes you feel any better, I saw a Venus commercial the other day that described the function of the razor.  I don't remember any more than that though.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I despise all of those Chevy commercials, especially the smug bearded guy in charge who sounds like his voice is still trying to change. 

• Love 3