Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

No matter what the spokesperson says, I only hear, "Hi, we're the new monopoly in town and we have been working hard to devise new and exciting ways to screw you over."

Isn't that true of all of them? I have AT&T, quit Directv after they took over. Now just have antenna. Miss a few shows, but surviving.

• Love 1

I have had the University of Phoenix brain song in my head all damn day.  Must burn all University of Phoenix buildings to the ground.  Must burn buildings.  Must. 

• Love 8
(edited)
On May 24, 2016 at 10:39 PM, bilgistic said:

It seriously didn't occur to me to make that association. And Mindy "runs a fertility clinic"!

Babies are gross and pregnancy freaks me out, is what I'm saying.

(I'm a 41-year-old heterosexual woman. Yes, I'm unmarried and I have a cat. Why do you ask?)

Mid-40s and unmarried (but coupled) with two cats, and all things gyno freak me out. I realize this is an immature attitude (especially when I am lucky enough to have quality healthcare available to me) but I literally would prefer a week straight of dentist appointments over a once-a-year 10-minute lady doctor checkup. Were I to ever become pregnant and have the baby (nope), I would schedule a C-section rather than give the old-fashioned way a try! I've always been this way since high school and it has not only not abated since, but has gotten worse. Will someone please invent a no-touch pelvic exam, please, finally?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Muffyn said:

I have had the University of Phoenix brain song in my head all damn day.  Must burn all University of Phoenix buildings to the ground.  Must burn buildings.  Must. 

Try singing Oodle-lollie-ay (Roger Miller) "Robin Hood and Little John were walking through the forest..."

MUCH better earworm.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Muffyn said:

I have the song from the Subaru commercial in my head.  You know, the commercial with the choice between shopping for khakis and starring in Deliverance 2: Electric Bugaloo.  (I actually find the ad vaguely amusing, but that song is a total earworm.)

As for the Land Rover Douche bag wedding party.....the noise that comes out of the bride's pie hole just after the disembodied officiant gives the "you may..kiss" signal does not sound even remotely human. 

• Love 2
On 5/25/2016 at 9:53 PM, xaxat said:

There's another cable ad that annoys me. Xfinity is advertising their services on Time Warner where I live.

I don't know anything about Xfinity, but that's great! Consumer choice is awesome!

Except their regional monopoly conveniently ends at the border of Time Warner's regional monopoly five miles from my house. So it's not an option. . . at all.

Charter does the same thing around here, as well as call and send printed advertising where they should know that it's going to areas where their services are not available. My theory is that they have an agreement with govt regulators that bases profits on costs, so they're padding their advertising expenses to make more money.

• Love 1
On May 21, 2016 at 6:48 PM, millennium said:

The Xarelto one truly irritates me.   It features Kevin Nealon, Arnold Palmer and some other guy behaving like entitled assholes while they share quips about Xarelto.  Bizarrely, they are all dressed in shades of purple and pink (Xarelto's color is a shade of purple, I think).   In this neck of TV-land, this commercial is often followed by a "1-800-BAD-DRUG" type of commercial with an ominous voice intoning "Have you suffered fatal or crippling effects after using Xarelto?  Contact the law firm of Victor Slippenphall" or something like that.   It makes Nealon, Palmer and the other guy look like the worst kind of shills, willing to push any pharmaceutical even if it may hurt people.

Not to mention that they still slip up some (it was worse in an earlier version) and say XarALto.  

• Love 5

We've been visiting in London since Wednesday, and don't watch much TV, but I have yet to see a single ad I would call annoying, but a bunch that are flat out funny. When did we Americans become so loud and rude?

• Love 12
On 5/24/2016 at 7:39 PM, bilgistic said:

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

The Brits would say during a certain tea party. 

If the British didn't want their tea in the ocean, they shouldn't have put it on a ship!  IJS.

• Love 2

If the annoying British bitch who wants to know about your bum is representative of UK commercials, I don't need more.

My assumption is she isn't, but she gives me PTSD.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

That ad with the Annie song, Tomorrow. It won't go away and is the worst ear worm on earth!

I used to have a coworker who moonlighted as an orchestra musician for a production of Annie for a while. I could always get an obscenity or two out of him after that by singing, humming, or whistling "Tomorrow." At one point I made it the startup sound on his laptop while he was at lunch. I thought he was going to hit me with it. Good times...

1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

For a moment I read that as "STD."

• Love 10
3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

If the annoying British bitch who wants to know about your bum is representative of UK commercials, I don't need more.

2 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

I used to have a coworker who moonlighted as an orchestra musician for a production of Annie for a while. I could always get an obscenity or two out of him after that by singing, humming, or whistling "Tomorrow." At one point I made it the startup sound on his laptop while he was at lunch. I thought he was going to hit me with it. Good times...

For a moment I read that as "STD."

Well, you can get one of those from a dirty bum, so.

• Love 2

Apartments.com is getting my last nerve. I like Jeff Goldblum in a lot of shows, but he is annoying me in these ads. In the part of the country I live, rents are about double house payments. Renting just makes someone else richer. And it annoys me no end, because I will be having to rent due to circumstances beyond my control. And with 3 dogs, one puppy just added by my teenager a week ago, apartments are not my idea of a good home.

• Love 6
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:24 PM, mythoughtis said:

The new car (Range Rover, maybe) commercial where the driver drives thru a construction zone while following a woman in a leopard print dress  just floors me.  They obviously want to impress me with how well the car handles in different terrains, while getting the 'Elephant Walk' song stuck in my head.   However, all I can think of is they are trying to market the car to 4 year olds with vivid imaginations or clueless male adults that will follow anyone in a skirt anywhere. 

I thought it was the driver imgining himself in the jungle.

11 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Apartments.com is getting my last nerve. I like Jeff Goldblum in a lot of shows, but he is annoying me in these ads. In the part of the country I live, rents are about double house payments. Renting just makes someone else richer. And it annoys me no end, because I will be having to rent due to circumstances beyond my control. And with 3 dogs, one puppy just added by my teenager a week ago, apartments are not my idea of a good home.

Isn't he sppsd to be playing a douchebag in those ads?

• Love 3

I want to take the IKEA family, lock them in a cage and burn their house and all of their electronics to the ground.

"Mom needs more followers!"  "It has 162 likes on Instagram!" "Honey your rump roast just broke the Internet."

No.  No no fucking NO.  No.  God.  A rump roast is not going to break anything and the saying "break the internet" makes my teeth hurt and fills my entire being with rage.

Shup your gobhole, IKEA.  Your commercial is stupid and those people are stupid and you're stupid.  And I don't even think you can buy IKEA anywhere around where I live.

• Love 14
20 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

I would have done EXACTLY the same thing. Just because I could.

• Love 1
(edited)

Can someone tell the folks at Glade that  some of us prefer natural aromas (as in what actually spontaneously occurs in nature) and not only have no interest in having our homes fumigated by their perfumes but would also like to 'Net surf without their pitches disrupting our YouTube time?

Edited by Blergh
missing s
  • Love 7

That Excedrin commerical with the "reality goggles" is still airing. At the end it says, "Experience more stories at Excedrin.com," which made me wonder if they hit the mom in the head with a sledge hammer for 3 days, but then I decided that would in "reality" be too messy, so maybe they just put her head in a vice for 3 days.

• Love 6

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

"Mom needs more followers!"  "It has 162 likes on Instagram!" "Honey your rump roast just broke the Internet."

No.  No no fucking NO.  No.  God.  A rump roast is not going to break anything and the saying "break the internet" makes my teeth hurt and fills my entire being with rage.

You forgot the best part:  where Mr Smug murmurs: "As it should."

Somebody pass me a skewer ...

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/27/2016 at 8:08 PM, friendperidot said:

OT, but when I was looking for a rental, I found places that were much more reasonable using the newspaper.  I'm not sure if you already found a place, but I think less savvy landlords tend to just put rentals in the paper and so they aren't asking for as much.  Or some other reason :)  

1 hour ago, bitchin camaro said:

I've only been to IKEA once, in Charlotte, and the whole time I kept thinking it was one bigass fire trap. I couldn't find my way back to kitchenware, much less out the door if there were an emergency.

I kept thinking it was some sort of human sociological experiment dreamed up by an evil genius...

No matter what, everytime I go in an IKEA, I can never exit from the same door....its bizarre.  I'll enter in the front and then I can't find my way back so I end up on the back loading dock, or in the IKEA breakroom, or on the fifth floor of the parking structure.

But I'm just so happy to be free again.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, RCharter said:

OT, but when I was looking for a rental, I found places that were much more reasonable using the newspaper.  I'm not sure if you already found a place, but I think less savvy landlords tend to just put rentals in the paper and so they aren't asking for as much.  Or some other reason :)  

Like my current landlords. They advertise in the paper and put a sign on the lawn. It's a great deal, but they are totally psycho.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm still looking, I look everywhere, on line, newspaper, drive through neighborhoods that are acceptable. Haven't looked at Apartments.com because I'm not looking for an apartment. 2 teenagers, 3 dog, must be a house. And house are about the same as apartments here, unless you're prepared to go very high end. I'm not. Want a safe neighborhood and a house that isn't falling down. And I do like Jeff Goldblume, just hate these commercials.

Edited to add my annoyance at another low budget over the air digital channel ad. It's a scam ad for prescriptions+ or some such. It's trying to entice low income and older people without much sophistication. Offers information about free prescriptions, free phones and free electricity. From what I read, it's a gathering information scam ad. But there's one woman who says her prescriptions run her $1400/month and that's why she's still working at age 76. Every time I hear her I wonder if it's Mary Kay Place, looks like her, sounds like her, but Mary Kay Place is around 69, not 76. I just wonder. I abhor the scam aspect of the commercial and then that it makes it sound like millions of people are getting something for nothing - riles up the Trump supporters.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 3
(edited)

Chinese TV commercial... washes away the Black.

Yes, that means exactly what you think it means.

USA TODAY: Chinese detergent maker sorry for harm done by racist ad

Asian racism against different skin colors is an interesting topic. It's actually not inaccurate to say that on some level they just don't understand any of the deeper implications of some of the images they use or things they say. There are slightly different flavors to this between Japan, Korea and China, but they all have some version of this... attitude. On the other hand, black people who go to live or work there constantly report mostly positive experiences. Living in an environment where nobody assumes you're a criminal, where cops don't harass you, where people are just as polite to you as everyone else... they're not scared of black people in most of Asia... they just treat them as if they're... aliens. Then again they do that with white folks too, oftentimes. Stuff like walking up to them and without asking, feeling their hair.  Or in rural areas, just staring at them (something that's far less taboo in those countries). 

USA Today didn't link or embed the actual ad, but here it is directly off YouTube...

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Kromm said:

Chinese TV commercial... washes away the Black.

Yes, that means exactly what you think it means.

USA TODAY: Chinese detergent maker sorry for harm done by racist a
...USA Today didn't link or embed the actual ad, but here it is directly off YouTube...
http://youtu.be/Xq-I0JRhvt4

I guess "sorry" is a bad tranlation or means "sorry we created an ad that generated bad press" or maybe "sorry that ignorant insensitve people create our ads." They may be "sorry" in many ways, but they didn't say "We apologize." An apology does not include a "but" or passing the blame onto someone else:

...Shanghai Leishang Cosmetics Ltd. Co. said it strongly shuns and condemns racial discrimination but blamed foreign media for amplifying the ad,...

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I'm still looking, I look everywhere, on line, newspaper, drive through neighborhoods that are acceptable. Haven't looked at Apartments.com because I'm not looking for an apartment. 2 teenagers, 3 dog, must be a house. And house are about the same as apartments here, unless you're prepared to go very high end. I'm not. Want a safe neighborhood and a house that isn't falling down. And I do like Jeff Goldblume, just hate these commercials.

Apartments.com does have house rentals, not just apartments. I moved in January 2014. There is an aggregator site, Padmapper, that I used that was a little more useful than just Apartments.com. It pulls newspaper ads along with the larger engines.

As for crime/"safe" areas, your city police department may have an online crime mapping system. I used mine, and it was surprising to see what purportedly "safe" areas are actually high in crime. In my case, I was open to living in a complex, but many in "safe" areas were rife with crime within the complexes.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3

I didn't know Apartments.com had houses listed too, I've never looked there, I have looked at Zillow and another that starts with a "T". There are very few places in this city that are crime free, or entirely safe. My neighborhood currently is fairly safe, drug houses a few blocks away, last summer a series of thefts out of yards - my lawnmower was a victim, only gun shots fired are on New Year's Eve. I hate that, but apparently it's a tradition. I'm just looking for a place at a decent price, where the house is in good shape, the neighborhood fairly clean and taken care of and hopefully no neighbors that randomly shoot at each other or drive by shootings. My other option is to move to a smallish town out in the country where tornadoes must be watched closely and wildfires can wipe out the area in record time. I'm a city girl, I don't want to live in the country.

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I can't believe that the black guy, in particular, thought it was a good idea to be in that commercial.

I can't believe anyone in the age of the internet and a worldwide economy thought that commercial was a good idea.  

I can't imagine that out of the 10-20 people that would have to have okay'd that ad that no one was like "hey....wait a minute...."

Nothing more can be said about the racist nature of that ad......its just the very, very, very worst.  And there is no "I'm sorry" thats going to make it look any better, or change the clear intent, which is that black people are so inferior you want a product that will wash the black right off of them.  Or even that some random black guy was drawn to some weirdo that wanted to feed him detergent.

But lets just go to the logic of the ad.  The guy at the end was not even cute!  If the point was you get some hunk after you "wash" this guy.....why not choose a decent looking guy?  And while I am generally not a fuddy duddy....a commercial where a housewife basically lures a guy and then grinningly drowns him while he struggles to get out strikes me as all sorts of violent....more so than just over the top violence....which is generally so over the top as to be ridiculous.

3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Apartments.com does have house rentals, not just apartments. I moved in January 2014. There is an aggregator site, Padmapper, that I used that was a little more useful than just Apartments.com. It pulls newspaper ads along with the larger engines.

As for crime/"safe" areas, your city police department may have an online crime mapping system. I used mine, and it was surprising to see what purportedly "safe" are actually high in crime. In my case, I was open to living in a complex, but many in "safe" areas were rife with crime within the complexes.

I live in a relatively safe area.....I did a Megans Law search once.....and oh boy :(

• Love 2

I can't believe this one has not been mentioned.   It just grates on my last nerve.   It's for some breath mints, you only see the package for a second so it's heard to tell.    It's the one with the lady in the job intervew and she says "And I need 3 weeks vacation."   Interviewer says "2 weeks is standard."   She takes a breath mint and a freaking unicorn appears, then she snits "I'm not standard."   Look Ms. Self-Centered, taking a breath mint and being a virgin does not make you non-standard.   If I were the interviewer I would be all "You get two weeks and get that damn animal out of here."  

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I can't believe this one has not been mentioned.   It just grates on my last nerve.   It's for some breath mints, you only see the package for a second so it's heard to tell.    It's the one with the lady in the job intervew and she says "And I need 3 weeks vacation."   Interviewer says "2 weeks is standard."   She takes a breath mint and a freaking unicorn appears, then she snits "I'm not standard."   Look Ms. Self-Centered, taking a breath mint and being a virgin does not make you non-standard.   If I were the interviewer I would be all "You get two weeks and get that damn animal out of here."  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

and by the bye, aren't unicorns supposed to have wings??? hacks!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Yeah, Pegasus is a completely different creature. 

Pegasus is the one who did ads for an oil company when I was a youngster--before internet, cell phones, or even cordless phones.

• Love 5

I want to take the IKEA family, lock them in a cage and burn their house and all of their electronics to the ground.

Shup your gobhole, IKEA.  Your commercial is stupid and those people are stupid and you're stupid.  And I don't even think you can buy IKEA anywhere around where I live.

Now imagine these people all vying for the same Eggo waffle.

• Love 12

Well, if you want to get technical, unicorn just means one horn.   So any animal with one horn would be a unicorn.   If a horse shaped animal had wings and one horn, it would be a unicorn pegasus.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Pegasus is the one who did ads for an oil company when I was a youngster--before internet, cell phones, or even cordless phones.

That was Mobil Oil.  Isn't Pegasus still their symbol -- red horse with wings?

As a child in the 1950s Midwest, I learned all of the gas station signs (Sinclair was a green dinosaur) & all of the cars (Pontiac had an Indian Chief hood ornament, Buick had holes along the sides of the hood) & all of the cows (Holstein were black & white, Hereford were red with white faces).  My dad was too frugal/cheap to buy a car with a radio in it, so "scenery" was all we had to do during road trips to visit friends & family who would put us up & feed us for free.

I loved the Mobil red winged horse & the Sinclair green long-necked dinosaur equally, & all of the cows.

• Love 11

How do you annoy me, let me count the ways: Ad opens with offscreen kids singing "This little light of mine" (earworm, amateur kids' singing: 2). One mom asks another which one is hers. Smug response: "The one in the white shirt". Cut to kids, all of whom are wearing white shirts, but not really white because smug mom is the only one to bleach the shirt (smugness at doing housework because that's how moms are supposed to measure their worth:3) Only - I've got a pretty good TV, and I can't pick smug mom's kid out of the crowd. (concept fail: 4)

• Love 13
1 hour ago, 3pwood said:

I loved the Mobil red winged horse & the Sinclair green long-necked dinosaur equally, & all of the cows.

I loved the TriStar Pictures winged horse and would get so excited to see it when I was young and we rented movies.

• Love 8