Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I have never seen the son hug TV Dad in that commercial. 🤔

OK, so maybe I mixed up a couple of the equally awful "TV dad" commercials, be that as it may, they are all grating and unenjoyable! Sorry for any confusion...

• Like 2

TV dad gets a hug in the longer version of the commercial.    They must be shortening some of the commercials.   The hug one has the son wearing a red and blue checked or plaid shirt (not sure which the pattern is called), it's not included in the shorter version of the ad. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I have never seen the son hug TV Dad in that commercial. 🤔

I have.

There's also a shortened version of the one where the team is protecting the homeowner's stuff. The longer version ends with Flo getting on the bus; the shorter version ends with them tending Jamie's injuries.  The only part of that commercial that I like is them all wearing cat masks to scare the birds off the car.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
36 minutes ago, Glitches said:

Progressive TV dad overriding Real Mom’s verdict about getting a dog is so uncool. He is a man thinking he knows what is best for a woman. TV dad, mind your own backyard. 

And that puppy is HUGE. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I'm not sure why the yellow jacket is supposed to make me think of Freddy Mercury.  It reminds me of Michael Jackson.  BTW, the version I see ends with her dancing like a lunatic in her class. 🤷‍♂️

It's the jacket he wore at Wembley in 1986 and is also shown on the cover of the Queen Live At Wembley album & DVD, I remembered it because I was there. Very 80s style so unless you were a Queen fan it could remind you of just about anyone.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 3/24/2023 at 9:22 AM, OldStandard said:

I know the Lume commercials have been reviled and thoroughly discussed previously.  And I agree that the founder of Lume and the advertising team have made a new art form out of making repulsive commercials.  Last night, after somehow being subjected to a string of them, it occurred to me to wonder - when did our skin become such a source of olfactory offense?  Listening to the verbiage about the plethora of skin sites which without Lume would smell so horrendous as to make us  cause any humans in scent-territory to run screaming off the scene.  I actually take offense at the suggestion that if I don’t use Lume I am committing some sort of anti-human, repulsive and purposeful disgusting behavior.  It makes me want to go out of my way to avoid all of this woman’s products!

And does the Lume shill truly believe that any  viewers past kindergarten age wouldn't know what  their  individual body parts were if she didn't go out of her way to highlight them on her own person?

'Golly, I never would have known where my own underarm or foot was if she hadn't gone to the trouble of putting hers on camera?'

• Like 5
  • LOL 10

The thing that amuses me about those ads where she's highlighting the various body parts is that this is the same woman who, in her very first commercials, was practically whispering "Private parts!" and having this look on her face like, "Oooh, I said something naughty!" Which is a weird attitude for a gynecologist to have about this topic as it is.

And now here she is showing off every single part of the body one can use this thing on. Talk about a total 180. 

• Like 9
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2

I thought these commercials were annoying when they first came out, but they were 1000 times better than the Lume commercials with Dr. Grody.

Also, did they use up their entire ad budget in perpetuity on that? Why are they so cheaply made now? Do they think we have a higher tolerance for low production values now that we're used to newsbroadcasters and such working from their living rooms?

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
58 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I thought these commercials were annoying when they first came out, but they were 1000 times better than the Lume commercials with Dr. Grody.

Also, did they use up their entire ad budget in perpetuity on that? Why are they so cheaply made now? Do they think we have a higher tolerance for low production values now that we're used to newsbroadcasters and such working from their living rooms?

I have not seen the above commercial.  Amusing with a bit of mind blown 🤯 thrown in.  Way better than Dr. Grody.  Can't say the Lume ads leave you wondering what the product is and how to use it!

Edited by CrystalBlue
I typed Grody, autocorrect!
  • Like 4
46 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Dear Botox Cosmetics - it is not less lines, it is fewer lines. Have these ad writers never taken a grammar class?

It could be less lines though.  Perhaps they don't take lines away, they just reduce the depth? 

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, cynicat said:

It could be less lines though.  Perhaps they don't take lines away, they just reduce the depth? 

That's not what the ad implies. It implies that lines have gone away, and therefore there are fewer of them.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

But hey, at least if the product doesn't work as implied, they can say "We never said you'd have fewer wrinkles; we said you'd have less!"

There is one Botox commercial I've been seeing lately and I can't tell the difference in the before and after. They shouldn't put the person in makeup.

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 6

It's so simple. If the noun is singular, it's less. If it's plural, it's fewer. Nutrisystem has the same mistake in their ads for their program for men - less calories. It seems like the writers think adding an extra syllable takes more time.

Edited by chessiegal
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

That's not what the ad implies. It implies that lines have gone away, and therefore there are fewer of them.

"Fewer" is used for countable objects, ie, "fewer apples". 

"Less" is used for uncountable things, ie, "less happy".

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

Getting back to the audacious Lume deodorant ads, least anyone wants to bite the bullet and try it (out of curiosity, of course), I recommend reading real, unsolicited reviews from unbiased review websites.  One in particular gives the product 2.8 lipsticks (or Lippies as they call them) out of a possible 5.  Not a ringing endorsement for Dr. Grody! 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1

Ahhh, a Cascade dishwasher tab commercial telling me it's OK to run half loads. Let's unpack:

1. The premise is you use more water hand-washing dishes than running the dishwasher. That might be so, but the items I handwash (pots, pans, Yeti tumblers) are items I don't put in the dishwater. I rarely wash anything that I would drop in the dishwasher.

2. I doubt my 16-plus-year-old dishwasher is all that energy efficient, but it's still kicking so I'm rolling with it.

3. Which bring us here. If I wash half loads all the time, I'll use twice the number of dish tabs than just waiting to run full loads.

Oh Cascade. Why are you burying the lede? And I use and like Cascade tabs, but this is ridiculous. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 3
9 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

What's with the sudden rash of all the anti-pet hair products? Why is this suddenly a problem, when it hasn't been for decades?

Maybe because a lot of pets are shedding their Winter coats as it warms up and advertisers just realized they could push a bunch of new products on us?

My feral cats are beginning to shed and some even let me brush/comb the shed hair off them.  Socializing at its best...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, tanyak said:

Ahhh, a Cascade dishwasher tab commercial telling me it's OK to run half loads. Let's unpack:

1. The premise is you use more water hand-washing dishes than running the dishwasher. That might be so, but the items I handwash (pots, pans, Yeti tumblers) are items I don't put in the dishwater. I rarely wash anything that I would drop in the dishwasher.

2. I doubt my 16-plus-year-old dishwasher is all that energy efficient, but it's still kicking so I'm rolling with it.

3. Which bring us here. If I wash half loads all the time, I'll use twice the number of dish tabs than just waiting to run full loads.

Oh Cascade. Why are you burying the lede? And I use and like Cascade tabs, but this is ridiculous. 

I agree that the "I/We Do It Every Night" commercials are ridiculous because they really want you to use three times as many pods which makes THEM more money!  Plus your water bill is increased because running a dishwasher with one or two dishes takes the same amount of water as running a full load.  All this not rinsing used dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, which could be sitting there for days, is nonsense as well.

• Like 7

It occurred to me yesterday that I was not seeing the cranberry juice drinking woman punching out the clown. I wonder if they got complaints and pulled it? I'm not sure how the ad made it out of a focus group.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

It occurred to me yesterday that I was not seeing the cranberry juice drinking woman punching out the clown. I wonder if they got complaints and pulled it? I'm not sure how the ad made it out of a focus group.

I just saw it while eating lunch, unfortunately.

• Sad 4
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

In the first showings of the ad she kicked the carp out of the clown. Now she just gives him a single punch that knocks him over. Neither is good advertising in my book!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, tanyak said:

Ah, yes, Cascade.  There is actually another option besides handwashing all your dishes, and running a half (or less) full load.  You can actually wait until you have a (mostly) full load! 

Slightly off topic, but I've used Cascade forever.  Then a while ago I got a variety that was so heavily scented that the smell stayed on the dishes (especially plastic) after they were washed.  Now I'm not sure what variety that was, but I'm afraid to buy any Cascade now.

• Like 4

Every year.

The roll up the rim commercials from Tim Hortons.

This year they are particularly annoying as they are still advertised as roll up the rim (which technically you are unrolling the rim but I digress) but the prize is no longer on the cup under the rim.  It's not on the Tim's app which you play after you purchase a coffee.  Which excludes seniors who don't have smart phones who are primarily Tim's demographic. 

Done rant.

7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I agree that the "I/We Do It Every Night" commercials are ridiculous because they really want you to use three times as many pods which makes THEM more money!  Plus your water bill is increased because running a dishwasher with one or two dishes takes the same amount of water as running a full load.  All this not rinsing used dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, which could be sitting there for days, is nonsense as well.

It really is. Running it every night is some how better? For you maybe Cascade and the water company/Utilities. It's so stupid. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

All this not rinsing used dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, which could be sitting there for days, is nonsense as well.

With a properly functioning dishwasher and detergent, that's how it's supposed to work -- scrape, not rinse, the dishes.  With such a combination, rinsing is just a waste of water.  (I know plenty of people have machines that won't adequately perform that way, but there are also plenty of people who rinse when they don't need to.)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

What's with the sudden rash of all the anti-pet hair products? Why is this suddenly a problem, when it hasn't been for decades?

In my market there's apparently an outbreak of bulging eyes since every commercial break contains an ad for Tepezza.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

I yell at the Cascade people every time about wasting water.  No, it is not just as efficient when the dishwasher is only half full.  I run the thing every other night.  And I'm a rinser.  I don't want all that crap getting caught in the filter.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not to mention if you DON'T run it every day, that stuff dries while it sits in the dishwasher, waiting, & really sticks to the dishes.

i scrape off the big stuff, put the plate down in the sink with utensils on it and put a little water on them overnight and then put them in the dishwasher to wait for the few days until i run it.  no big caked on messes and not much water wasted.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I yell at the Cascade people every time about wasting water.  No, it is not just as efficient when the dishwasher is only half full.  I run the thing every other night.  And I'm a rinser.  I don't want all that crap getting caught in the filter.

But how does it handle the pet hair?

• LOL 14
17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Re: water bill

In my town the water bill is a fixed amount billed quarterly, no matter if you have one person in the house or 6+ in the house.

Now if I was in the neighborhood I lived in Florida, the yeah I would wait for a full load.

• Like 2

The blonde harridan nagging her husband about calling the Medicare helpline to inquire about more benefits is back. Jeez, lady. If it's that important to you, then why don't YOU make the call? 

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 7

The new Poshmark ad with the girl who appears to be around eleven years old. You know mommy and daddy are paying for all the crap she's selling on there. Also when I think of  a "side hustle", I think of guys with trucks who move stuff or haul junk on weekends or the copier repair lady who sells weed on the side.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
On 3/28/2023 at 9:59 AM, tanyak said:

Came here just to post about this one.  Maybe running dishes through the dishwasher uses less water then handwashing them.  But you could save even more by waiting until you have a full load!!

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not to mention if you DON'T run it every day, that stuff dries while it sits in the dishwasher, waiting, & really sticks to the dishes.

Right. Like I said in my other post, my dishwasher is old as dirt, so probably not the most efficient. But even if I had a shiny new one, I would still rinse some things. I hate when remnants of ketchup, hot sauce, barbecue sauce, fish sauce, ranch, etc. slide down the plates and collect at the bottom of the dishwasher. Smells lovely, too. That's enough to make me run a half load. 😂

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

The blonde harridan nagging her husband about calling the Medicare helpline to inquire about more benefits is back. Jeez, lady. If it's that important to you, then why don't YOU make the call? 

Apparently, in Medicare world, the husbands are all too stupid to know about Medicare Part C, so the wives have to nag them to get it, because for some unknown reason a wife can't make the call. 😉

• LOL 9