Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, dleighg said:

that always cracks me up. I know that they do this because that's the range of severity that the drug is meant for, but in reality, someone would say (well not really, but you know what I mean) "I have moderate XYZ disease." or "I have severe XYZ disease." 

It is still not something someone would say but it would be more natural if they had them say "I have XYZ disease in the moderate to severe range."

6 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

How would you know you were allergic to it without taking it is always my question.

I think I've seen commercials in which they say "Don't take [drug] if you're allergic to its ingredients." I think that's better.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, janie jones said:

It is still not something someone would say but it would be more natural if they had them say "I have XYZ disease in the moderate to severe range."

I think I've seen commercials in which they say "Don't take [drug] if you're allergic to its ingredients." I think that's better.

But do they tell what those ingredients are?  No. You have to at least purchase the prescription to get the informational flyer that comes with it and you'd have to already know if you're allergic to them, which you probably don't.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But do they tell what those ingredients are?  No. You have to at least purchase the prescription to get the informational flyer that comes with it and you'd have to already know if you're allergic to them, which you probably don't.

You don’t have to purchase anything. You can find that info online in the form of the ISI. It’s dumb, but that’s the rule about how pharma info is disseminated to consumers; it has to be at a fifth- or sixth-grade level of comprehension or some shit. And they can’t say too much in the commercials about the ingredients (“excipients” in pharma parlance). All of this stupidity is the rule. I’m an editor in this industry; dumbing down consumer copy is how shit works. It’s fun. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Useful 8
  • LOL 1

The fact that rx meds for very serious health issues are advertised on TV is crazy.

Are people with cancer really watching commercials and self diagnosing their selves? Recommending to their doctors what they should be prescribed? 

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
13 minutes ago, tres bien said:

Recommending to their doctors what they should be prescribed? 

I know, it's crazy. One would think that if you have diabetes/kidney disease/thyroid eye disease not to mention cancer, that your doctor would know a bit more than you about what drug is appropriate. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well, no one is saying that the doctor wouldn't know more than a patient or that they wouldn't know to prescribe it without prompting by a patient. But these commercials are not for the doctors (doctors have totally different ads and language and literature, including a drug's safety info). The drug company -- like any other advertiser -- is trying to put their product into the mind of the eventual consumer, particularly when the advertised product has a bunch of competitors.

I have mostly worked on orphan drugs, which are for rare diseases (and offensively expensive), so they don't often have commercials at all. But there are tons of MS and cancer meds, so I can see how those ended up on TV, I guess.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3
28 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Well, no one is saying that the doctor wouldn't know more than a patient or that they wouldn't know to prescribe it without prompting by a patient. But these commercials are not for the doctors (doctors have totally different ads and language and literature, including a drug's safety info). The drug company -- like any other advertiser -- is trying to put their product into the mind of the eventual consumer, particularly when the advertised product has a bunch of competitors.

I have mostly worked on orphan drugs, which are for rare diseases (and offensively expensive), so they don't often have commercials at all. But there are tons of MS and cancer meds, so I can see how those ended up on TV, I guess.

And 20 years after coming to the USA I still can't get used to drugs being advertised on tv, never mind the crazy cost of them.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yes, they're serious. Some communities have such a doggo poo problem, they'll test the poo's DNA to nab the doggo's owner for promoting a health hazard.

https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-poop-dna-testing/

That was the first thing I thought of too!  But I’m pretty sure there are also doggy dna tests that claim to tell you what breeds your dog is. I haven’t seen the commercial so I’m not sure which market this is aimed at. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

That was the first thing I thought of too!  But I’m pretty sure there are also doggy dna tests that claim to tell you what breeds your dog is. I haven’t seen the commercial so I’m not sure which market this is aimed at. 

Some companies do it to discover genetic problems before you breed your allegedly purebred doggy.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
45 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Some companies do it to discover genetic problems before you breed your allegedly purebred doggy.

They did a segment a fairly long time ago on Pitt Bulls & Parolees where they tested the owners dog's dna just to see what their genetic makeup was. It was interesting to see the results as most all of their pet dogs had multiple genetic strains.

I suppose they may use the tests on some of the dogs they adopt out if they have health or whatever questions about that specific animal.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

They did a segment a fairly long time ago on Pitt Bulls & Parolees where they tested the owners dog's dna just to see what their genetic makeup was.

Yep, that's what I associate it with (not that it was my introduction to the existence of dog DNA testing, just that the episode amused me - they each picked the dog they were most curious to learn the genetic makeup of, either to see if their guesses were right or because they had no earthly idea where some of the dog's features came from - so it's what I think of upon seeing/hearing reference to such tests).  I have not seen the commercial in question, but I think "embark" is a cute name for such a product.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yep, that's what I associate it with (not that it was my introduction to the existence of dog DNA testing, just that the episode amused me - they each picked the dog they were most curious to learn the genetic makeup of, either to see if their guesses were right or because they had no earthly idea where some of the dog's features came from - so it's what I think of upon seeing/hearing reference to such tests).  I have not seen the commercial in question, but I think "embark" is a cute name for such a product.

I also read that it can be used to determine your rescue pup's age.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Maybe I'm too fussy about physicality in another persons sexiness but that guy in the Whush commercial (for cleaning out your ear wax) is just weird looking. 

He has sloping shoulders, his head looks like it's growing out of two different shoulder body shapes.

He's been annoying me for a long time but I just had to say something before "he" pushed me over the edge to insanity. I'm  already half way there! I don't need his help

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

The commercial for a brand of flooring (can’t remember the name) where a woman lies down on it and writhes because it feels so good. Thank God she is wearing one of those longer flowing dresses. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
56 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

No, you're NOT gonna get bashed. It IS a stupid commercial.

not going to bash anyone, but i love this commercial

nobody thinks the mustache is attractive, just not something to feel bad about and ruin your life

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

I keep seeing this ad for an app called "Front Door" where the song is a riff on "we built this city on rock and roll" with "I fixed this toilet on video." It sounds like the toilet had a truly tiny problem (unhooked chain I think, so hardly nobel prize winning difficulty). But all I could think is with a typical repair that I need to do, the guy on the video would have to tell me what to buy at the hardware store, then I'd video chat with him again and he'd tell me I bought the wrong thing, and then I'd chat with him again after my second trip to the store and he'd tell me to just use some tool I don't own, and.... you get the picture. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

nobody thinks the mustache is attractive, just not something to feel bad about and ruin your life

Yeah, it's not inherently attractive nor unattractive, it just is.  So she doesn't have to wax or even bleach it.  If she decides that's what she prefers, good for her.  If she decides she'd rather keep it than mess with that stuff, good for her.

People are brutal to each other, teens can be especially vicious, and women/girls eschewing traditional beauty standards are particularly vulnerable.  Placing an Amazon order for a funky jacket and getting her groove on isn't going to fix that.  But the commercial doesn't show it as being fixed -- we don't see her classmates embrace her (literally or figuratively), or cut to a week later when three other girls also dance into class rocking a mustache.  We simply see her deciding "fuck it" and doing her thing. 

• Like 16
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, it's not inherently attractive nor unattractive, it just is.  So she doesn't have to wax or even bleach it.  If she decides that's what she prefers, good for her.  If she decides she'd rather keep it than mess with that stuff, good for her.

People are brutal to each other, teens can be especially vicious, and women/girls eschewing traditional beauty standards are particularly vulnerable.  Placing an Amazon order for a funky jacket and getting her groove on isn't going to fix that.  But the commercial doesn't show it as being fixed -- we don't see her classmates embrace her (literally or figuratively), or cut to a week later when three other girls also dance into class rocking a mustache.  We simply see her deciding "fuck it" and doing her thing. 

My take exactly. Good for her, changing what she decides to change.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm just wondering what teacher would let her dance around like that in class.  I would tell her to SIT.DOWN!  

well, she did sit down, so....

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

well, she did sit down, so....

Exactly; she didn't get up in the middle of a lecture and do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, she danced into the classroom (bopping along to the music in her headphones) right after the bell rang and took her seat. 

It does look odd, though, now that I've seen it again, because the other kids are all apparently early birds, as everyone else is already seated with books and notebooks open.  But the bell rings right before she goes into the classroom, so she's barely late.  So, yeah, a teacher might say something about dancing in late rather than going directly to her seat, but another teacher might just as easily ignore it so long as she got to work.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Wink 1
8 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I know I will get bashed, but I just don't think this mustache is attractive. This commercial is just stupid, the dancing in the classroom. 

That's  a Queen song?! I hate that commercial. Not sure what they are selling but I like the faux leather jacket. Everything else is not memorable.  Except maybe that girls space between her 2 front teeth. 

Is this an ad for braces? Or cool clothes for hip kids? Or just being a cool individual with their own sense of style?

I don't  know and I don't  care. I do wonder how much the ad company got paid to promote whatever they promoted.

#TomSandoval

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Jst2Wld said:

That's  a Queen song?! I hate that commercial. Not sure what they are selling but I like the faux leather jacket. Everything else is not memorable.  Except maybe that girls space between her 2 front teeth. 

Is this an ad for braces? Or cool clothes for hip kids? Or just being a cool individual with their own sense of style?

I don't  know and I don't  care. I do wonder how much the ad company got paid to promote whatever they promoted.

#TomSandoval

No, it is not a Queen song.

30 minutes ago, Jst2Wld said:

The young lady has a mustache and is debating how to deal with it. She considers waxing and whatever else, but then looks and sees iconic people (Frida Kahlo and Freddy Mercury) and decides it's cool to have a mustache.

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, Jst2Wld said:

Everything else is not memorable.  Except maybe that girls space between her 2 front teeth. 

It's an ad for Amazon. That gap between one's two front teeth is called a diastema.  (Just some random info I'm sharing. Hahahaha)  I don't begrudge the girl her mustache - it's the stupid dancing that annoys me.  And get off my lawn.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's what worries me the most. As much as I want to like her "fuck it" and doing her own thing because she should. Teens are brutal to each other and of course their going to target the girl with the mustache. Hopefully, she can shrug it off but it's really hard to do. Especially if it's every day. Of course they might also for her gap teeth or the funky jacket and dancing into the classroom. People suck.

• Like 3
On 4/7/2023 at 7:35 PM, janie jones said:

I have a moderate to severe pain in the ass from all these drug ads.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 17

The Amazon ad with the mustachioed girl in the admittedly sweet yellow jacket; makes me feel she has such confidence. More confidence & bad-assery at 16 or whatever age, than I had at 40, or have now. 

But these days, it feels like we are supposed to cheer for everything beyond the "done thing" that any person does. 

When I was 13 and sported some lipular infestation, I discovered depilatory and it was the happiest day of my year!

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
52 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

The Amazon ad with the mustachioed girl in the admittedly sweet yellow jacket; makes me feel she has such confidence. More confidence & bad-assery at 16 or whatever age, than I had at 40, or have now. 

But these days, it feels like we are supposed to cheer for everything beyond the "done thing" that any person does. 

When I was 13 and sported some lipular infestation, I discovered depilatory and it was the happiest day of my year!

The message of the ad is positive: embrace your differences, and its nice that Amazon made it, but it doesn't make me want to buy anything from Amazon.  Maybe at this point Amazon doesn't feel it needs to get people to come and buy stuff, they'll do it whether Amazon advertises or not.

• Like 4
58 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The message of the ad is positive: embrace your differences, and its nice that Amazon made it, but it doesn't make me want to buy anything from Amazon.  Maybe at this point Amazon doesn't feel it needs to get people to come and buy stuff, they'll do it whether Amazon advertises or not.

yeah, i love the commercial but amazon is raking it in and this ad is not going to make anybody buy anything more than they already do

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
52 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

If a few people here like the jacket, it's conceivable that other people watching the commercial may also be interested in the jacket and check Amazon. 

Depending on the material you can get one for between $40 & $ 150 on Amazon.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 4/9/2023 at 8:58 AM, cinsays said:

not going to bash anyone, but i love this commercial

Yes! And why the hell is every other commercial about people being dissed or unaccepted for some ridiculous "flaw".  It's  just perpetuating commenting on people's flaws. 

Shut the fuck up and move along. Find something better to do with your time. I'm  really disliking people and I DO have better things to do with my time. Lol. Like come here and be bitchy!😀

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
11 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I like the message. I really wish it was true in real life especially in school. Walk in to school feeling great, happy and wearing an outfit you love and everything's going to be great. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

That Door Dash commercial with the chef (Matty Matheson?), he tells a woman how to pick a ripe pineapple, what is with that cartoon character swimming in jelly beans and such, I feel like they had a lot of ideas for their commercial and decided to use all of them, all at once. It is confusing, how does that woman know what kind of beans somebody wants?

• Like 4
  • LOL 1