Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 4/14/2023 at 3:01 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Before I'd make a sliced Spam sandwich, I'd fry the stuff so it gets a little crispier than straight out of the can.

ETA: OK, for you superstitious folks, we're on page 667 now. LOL

My mother would do that with corned beef hash, slice the hash into patties, then fry them like a burger and serve on a bun. Actually not too bad.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I remember having SPAM® as a kid. My mom would pan-fry slices until crispy, then serve them with ketchup to dip in. It tasted pretty good, though as an adult I'd rather just buy ham steaks to fry or grill.

• Like 5
22 hours ago, sempervivum said:

BTW, the Teeter guy died last year at age 83😔

It's weird when they keep having dead people selling products, like Larry King still advertising prostate supplements. Zombie advertising. Colonel Sanders doesn't bother me as much. Even though he was a real person he was also TV character of sorts.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

I hate the Jardiance commercial. If I had diabetes (I think this is what the drug is for) I would be insulted.

The first time I saw this stupid commercial, I wondered if it was the inspiration for the not-funny sketch on SNL with Molly Shannon singing/dancing in a drug commercial.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Jimmie Dean still pushing sausage!

That Jimmy Dean situation is weird, because they produced the commercials after his death.  That's different than continuing to run an old commercial after the spokesperson dies (e.g. the Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds commercial).  Digging up old narration to use in a different commercial has me rolling my eyes, and in the case of the one with him saying "I wish I could tell you how I feel about a morning like this" has me muttering over the rest of his dialogue with the replacement "But I'm dead, so I can't".

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 11
8 hours ago, Kemper said:

I hate the Jardiance commercial. If I had diabetes (I think this is what the drug is for) I would be insulted

I do have T2D (but don't take this drug). It's really stupid. It kind of reminds me (in cringe-worthy-ness) of the painful "up with people" super bowl halftime show from ages ago. 

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Orville Redenbacher's postmortem commercial still takes the cake for me. If the popcorn wasn't better than all the other brands I've tried I would have dropped it like a rock after seeing his heirs approve that shit.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 8
  • Applause 2
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

That Jimmy Dean situation is weird, because they produced the commercials after his death.  That's different than continuing to run an old commercial after the spokesperson dies (e.g. the Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds commercial).  Digging up old narration to use in a different commercial has me rolling my eyes, and in the case of the one with him saying "I wish I could tell you how I feel about a morning like this" has me muttering over the rest of his dialogue with the replacement "But I'm dead, so I can't".

Yeah, they turn him into a TV character.  I wonder when someone will have a whole show starring a dead person?

23 hours ago, Kemper said:

I hate the Jardiance commercial. If I had diabetes (I think this is what the drug is for) I would be insulted.

I wondered if the lead singer is somebody I'm supposed to know?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 4/17/2023 at 9:19 AM, Kemper said:

This may sound weird (because it is), but I am so distracted by the lead singer's pants, it's all I can see. When she throws her arms up in the air, it looks like the top of her pants are a different shade of blue, like faded denim, and the legs are solid blue. Either that or her zipper is undone and we are seeing her underwear. 😄

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

This may sound weird (because it is), but I am so distracted by the lead singer's pants, it's all I can see. When she throws her arms up in the air, it looks like the top of her pants are a different shade of blue, like faded denim, and the legs are solid blue. Either that or her zipper is undone and we are seeing her underwear. 😄

You are not weird.😎 Aging myself, but…the entire commercial looks like an old Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland movie where they gathered their friends and Put On A Show. But Judy could sing. And what is the purpose of the chirping woman changing from those awful blue pants to the technicolor dress? 

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 5
On 3/24/2023 at 11:51 AM, proserpina65 said:

I've been seeing an Amazon commercial where a girl with a noticeable mustache decides that, because Eddie Murphy, Frida Kahla and Freddie Mercury all rocked mustaches, she can too if she just buys a cool (in actuality very ugly) jacket and pair of boots on Amazon.  All I can think while watching is "oh honey, none of those people are teenage girls going to high school where they're going to be teased mercilessly for that mustache no matter what jacket they're wearing, just shave the mustache".  I mean, I wish high school students were as accepting as those in that commercial, but they're not.

Plus, she's no Freddie Mercury.

Ok I know this ad has been covered here but OH MY GODDD I cannot take another second of this awful commercial!  It’s on all the time.  It’s stupid, wax the mustache, or don’t, who cares???  Get braces.  When I hear the song start, I immediately fast forward or change the channel.  It’s making me insane.

I also think the jacket is ugly.

I hate the commercial but also I hate Amazon.  They are trying to show “inclusive” commercials, or dog commercials, pretending they do good.  They are a horrific company, they squeeze workers until they are broken. I’ve read so many stories.  

And now that I know it was directed by Olivia Wilde, I hate it even more.  I actually used to like her when she was 13 on House.  

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

I know I have mentioned it before, but it is SO BAD -- that Planet Oat commercial! And it's on so much. I am not mad at lowercase oat milk; I use it all the time. It's just this commercial and its horrific vocal fry and also its ridiculous wording/copy -- the milk is "every bit as marvelous as the moments we share." WTF does that shit even mean? Shut up.

• Like 5
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 6

I’m sick to death of that darned “no sugar added Heinz” commercial.

For one thing, the girl all nostalgic about eating ketchup on spaghetti — is that really a thing? Because it sounds positively revolting. (Granted, I’m a life-long ketchup-hater and my mother made amazing, real tomato sauce for pasta.)

And I can’t get the stupid song out of my head. Which I guess was their goal. So, well done?

• Like 9
17 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

For one thing, the girl all nostalgic about eating ketchup on spaghetti — is that really a thing?

According to other posters, yes. My mother was not a great cook, but at least she didn't go there. My memory is the sauce she used came from a can.

• Like 7
On 4/20/2023 at 11:07 AM, AgathaC said:

I’m sick to death of that darned “no sugar added Heinz” commercial.

For one thing, the girl all nostalgic about eating ketchup on spaghetti — is that really a thing? Because it sounds positively revolting. (Granted, I’m a life-long ketchup-hater and my mother made amazing, real tomato sauce for pasta.)

And I can’t get the stupid song out of my head. Which I guess was their goal. So, well done?

There's someone where I work whose mother made ketchup spaghetti.  But yeah, you can easily buy spaghetti sauce the same place you buy ketchup.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 6
On 4/17/2023 at 1:49 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

It's weird when they keep having dead people selling products, like Larry King still advertising prostate supplements. Zombie advertising. Colonel Sanders doesn't bother me as much. Even though he was a real person he was also TV character of sorts.

Aw, I liked when Norm MacDonald played Col. Sanders, but now Norm is dead too!

• Like 1
  • Sad 7
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've noticed that "Jonathan from Colonial Penn" is now mentioning you can't be turned down because coverage doesn't begin until after two years.  I wonder if some governmental agency or their lawyers made them start saying that.

He's been saying the two years time frame for quite some time. It's not new, but it's not in every version of the commercial.

• Useful 4

The youngish woman in the Tovala commercial with the drawn out, almost Valley Girl voice is on my sh÷t list.

"The appeeeeal of Tovalaaa for meee..."

"Open your meal, scan it on the OVENNN..."

And the insistence of commercial bombing particular shows where they repeat the same commercial on every break, sometimes twice back to back, is just cruel.  Damn you, Tovala advertising!  

• Like 6
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

All I can think of when people say they eat ketchup on spaghetti pasta.

image.png.2179324a0f77e422b35441b81ec74237.png

Off topic: that poor child. II always thought she was cute and smart, even in the midst of her...well, surroundings. I am too bummed out lately to even dare Google her and see if she somehow turned out OK. 

OK, carry on!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Off topic: that poor child. II always thought she was cute and smart, even in the midst of her...well, surroundings. I am too bummed out lately to even dare Google her and see if she somehow turned out OK. 

Mixed bag. She'll be graduating high school in June, but she's been involved with a 4-years-older guy who was arrested last year for DUI (she was in the car with him but wasn't held). Also, not surprisingly, she's very overweight.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 3

I like to stream shows on MSNBC Live.   But the price I have to pay for the service is making me question whether it's worth it.

I'm not talking about money.   I get access to the channel because MSNBC is part of my basic cable package.  I'm talking about the toll on my nerves.

You see, every commercial break -- and there are at least ten of them over a 2-hour show -- I am subjected to this 30-second commercial from Peloton:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/23uX/peloton-lol-cody-featuring-cody-rigsby

At least ten times a day, five days a week.

I think this guy is obnoxious AF.   I can't stand his voice.  I hate the whole preening, narcissistic vibe.   And like I said, it's EVERY commercial break.  Some algorithm must really have it in for me.    I find myself wishing his stationary bike would get run over by a stationary car.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 6
20 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I know this has been covered but the Burger King commercial with the dumbass singing off-key gets on my very last nerve.

AND they're ripping off the Kookaburra song in the first part of that godawful jingle!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

The youngish woman in the Tovala commercial with the drawn out, almost Valley Girl voice is on my sh÷t list.

"The appeeeeal of Tovalaaa for meee..."

"Open your meal, scan it on the OVENNN..."

And the insistence of commercial bombing particular shows where they repeat the same commercial on every break, sometimes twice back to back, is just cruel.  Damn you, Tovala advertising!  

Now that's real home cooking just like Mama used to make! 😄

• LOL 5
20 minutes ago, millennium said:

I like to stream shows on MSNBC Live.   But the price I have to pay for the service is making me question whether it's worth it.

I'm not talking about money.   I get access to the channel because MSNBC is part of my basic cable package.  I'm talking about the toll on my nerves.

You see, every commercial break -- and there are at least ten of them over a 2-hour show -- I am subjected to this 30-second commercial from Peloton:

I think this guy is obnoxious AF.   I can't stand his voice.  I hate the whole preening, narcissistic vibe.   And like I said, it's EVERY commercial break.  Some algorithm must really have it in for me.    I find myself wishing his stationary bike would get run over by a stationary car.

Obnoxious? That's only the half of it. To me, he kinda looks like Bryan Kohberger.

15 minutes ago, millennium said:

AND they're ripping off the Kookaburra song in the first part of that godawful jingle!

I hate the off-key dumbass singing too. Instamute! The burgers make me hungry for one though.  I haven't been to a BK in ages.  Are they any good?

• Like 2

Those BK ads with the horrible singer always have me diving for the remote. So annoying. And I love their 'spicy' burger, which is a regular burger with a couple of slices of jalapeno thrown on it. That's a pretty complicated recipe, if I want one, I'll have to go to BK, I doubt I'd be able to make it at home 😑

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

The T-Mobile ad at a kids' soccer match where a dad is interrogating a mum about her cell phone coverage and all the parents end up singing "well x 1000) and dancing really badly.  I hate it.

• Like 3

The only commercial I've seen on TV is shorter than this one here, and the voiceover at the beginning is different. In the version I've seen, he says, "Whichever stereotype you're gonna try to put on me isn't gonna fit, because there's no stopping me." The "no stopping me" part isn't even in this one.

But at any rate, it bugs the shit out of me. Being/not being a stereotype doesn't have anything to do with being (un)stoppable. In the version I've seen, he doesn't say anything about having HIV, so it sounds like the stereotypes he's talking about are about being a surfer bro, but even with the HIV part added in, it still doesn't make any sense.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/nQoH/biktarvy-zach-stereotypes

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

The only commercial I've seen on TV is shorter than this one here, and the voiceover at the beginning is different. In the version I've seen, he says, "Whichever stereotype you're gonna try to put on me isn't gonna fit, because there's no stopping me." The "no stopping me" part isn't even in this one.

But at any rate, it bugs the shit out of me. Being/not being a stereotype doesn't have anything to do with being (un)stoppable. In the version I've seen, he doesn't say anything about having HIV, so it sounds like the stereotypes he's talking about are about being a surfer bro, but even with the HIV part added in, it still doesn't make any sense.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/nQoH/biktarvy-zach-stereotypes

So the actor isn't portraying a gay male?  He got HIV through intravenous drug use using dirty needles, a bad blood transfusion, was born with HIV contracted by his mother?  A woman transmitted the disease to him?

What difference does it make?  Your health and survival are what count.  And also being responsible for not transmitting to anyone else, no matter who they are.

Aren't we past victim blaming by now?

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere for Kohl's.

That's it, that's the post.

Is there a Fleetwood Mac song that hasn't been used in a TV commercial?

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 4/21/2023 at 7:09 PM, millennium said:

Holy crap, I hate him from only watching that commercial!  😡

On 4/21/2023 at 9:27 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't understand why the chicken on the BK spicy fries look so angry.

Somewhere,  someone decided that "angry" is a synonym for "spicy".  

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 2

“Wake up refreshed and ready for your best tomorrow.” From a Casper mattress commercial. Wouldn’t it generally be your best today after you wake up from sleeping?

I’m sure there could be scenarios in which this copy could make perfect sense, but I don’t think that’s what they meant. 

• LOL 8