Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

There’s a commercial with a couple making the best of long hold times on the phone by dancing to the hold music — which is that ubiquitous song that made me crazy while I waited for my insurance company and for unemployment to pick up. It was almost triggering!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

There's an ad for diapers that I hate.  It's the baby with white glasses who's hanging onto an open cabinet drawer and bouncing up and down while his mom prepares food.  All I can see is a trip to the ER after the baby slips and ends up with a split lip and a couple of missing teeth.  Buy one of those bouncy saucer things so the baby can bounce safely.  And the mom could even manage a precious trip to the bathroom in peace.

(I'm catastrophizing, but I'm irritated because the ad's on constantly.)

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

There's an ad for diapers that I hate.  It's the baby with white glasses who's hanging onto an open cabinet drawer and bouncing up and down while his mom prepares food.  All I can see is a trip to the ER after the baby slips and ends up with a split lip and a couple of missing teeth.  Buy one of those bouncy saucer things so the baby can bounce safely.  And the mom could even manage a precious trip to the bathroom in peace.

I hate that commercial because it looks like the baby is twerking.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

This seems addressed to other posters, not ad execs, which would of course violate civility guidelines.

No. I am 100% addressing advertisers. I would never be rude or uncivil to other posters. 

My sincere apology if I offended anyone. 

• Like 8
On 4/8/2023 at 3:51 PM, tres bien said:

I've never had Spam. But I'm willing to eat it everyday if they'll stop showing the stir fry Spam ad

I had to eat it as a child because my mother bought it and cooked it.  I have to say, it looks better in that stir fry than any other way I've ever seen it cooked.  And I'm still not eating it.

On 4/9/2023 at 10:44 AM, TVMovieBuff said:

I know I will get bashed, but I just don't think this mustache is attractive. This commercial is just stupid, the dancing in the classroom. 

I keep yelling at the girl to shave the damned mustache, so I won't be bashing you.

On 4/9/2023 at 6:58 PM, Jst2Wld said:

That's  a Queen song?! I hate that commercial. Not sure what they are selling but I like the faux leather jacket. Everything else is not memorable.  Except maybe that girls space between her 2 front teeth. 

Is this an ad for braces? Or cool clothes for hip kids? Or just being a cool individual with their own sense of style?

I don't  know and I don't  care. I do wonder how much the ad company got paid to promote whatever they promoted.

#TomSandoval

It's a commercial trying to get you to waste your money on Amazon.  I think in your case, it failed.  (Edited to note that I've wasted plenty of money on Amazon, but not because of this commercial.)

Oh, and I didn't know that was a Queen song either.  Not one of their better efforts, imo.

On 4/10/2023 at 2:32 PM, Welshman in Ca said:

Depending on the material you can get one for between $40 & $ 150 on Amazon.

To me, that would be a waste of $40-$150, but to each their own.

On 4/11/2023 at 9:12 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Hempvanna?

Something sold by the Lume woman, probably.

10 hours ago, Leeds said:

I keep wondering if the piece of furniture has been properly secured to the wall, a la various IKEA dressers.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 5
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, Leeds said:

It doesn't bother me too much (maybe they have the drawer anchored or something? I don't know), but I also felt a little bit of "oooh, is this OK?" And you can see the mom in the background, and I don't know if that makes it worse or better!

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

(maybe they have the drawer anchored or something?

My memory says the baby was pulling out a drawer in a cabinet in the kitchen, thus firmly secured. 

The pandemic made me Amazon's bitch. Since I get free shipping, I buy lots of stuff I could get in a store. After several years I've gotten lazy. Easier to have Amazon deliver it.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2

The commercial for "Every Man Jack" toiletries. It is borderline vulgar, over the top testosterone pumping awfulness. It's running a lot during Cleveland Guardian games.

Maybe I'm looking too hard, (pun intended) for their implied meaning, but I don't think so. The name itself is ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

There is a Domino's ad that's been on constantly. Look Domino's, don't try to sell me crappy Tater Tots covered in pizza toppings and make me think it's anything more than a cheap ploy to cut your cost on ingredients while I get a very inferior. dish.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

There is a Domino's ad that's been on constantly. Look Domino's, don't try to sell me crappy Tater Tots covered in pizza toppings and make me think it's anything more than a cheap ploy to cut your cost on ingredients while I get a very inferior. dish.

I agree! Those Tater Tot "Pizzas" look gross!! Not something I would ever buy. I don't mind a few Air Fried tots with a fish stick or chicken nugget, but those faux pizzas look yukky!

• Like 9
34 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I get grossed out every time I see those Domino's greasy Tater Tots with greasy cheese etc on them.

I have to confess, I have eaten Spam when I was a child but their commercial definitely doesn't entice me to eat it again. Ever.

• Like 7

My mom used to make "economy meals" of Spam cubed with scrambled eggs. I hated it. One evening, I was the last one at the dinner table, poking at. Mom was almost done doing the dishes and wanted my (cleaned off) plate. I made a deal with her - I'll eat this now if you promise never to make it again. She agreed. I ate, she finished washing the dishes & I dried them.  She remembered the deal and didn't make the god-awful dish again. I think she forgot she'd ever made some crap like that until she was old and I reminded her. AIIIEEEE.  She started it up again for herself and LIKED it.

• Like 5

The stated point of the Dominos ad is that they 'invented' the tots-with-toppings because fries always get soggy during delivery. So the tots are supposed to be their solution, right? Except in my experience, tots lose their crispness within seconds after they come out of the oven. 

Also, people order fries with their pizza?

Mmm, I loved Spam. Can't eat it anymore (high cholesterol).

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Can't eat it anymore (high cholesterol).

But dietary cholesterol doesn't contribute to blood cholesterol, does it? 

And, really, naked Spam is nasty, but that stir fried stuff does kind of look good. Not much different than sausage, just an out-of-proportion cube rather than a cylinder.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Jst2Wld said:

No. I am 100% addressing advertisers. I would never be rude or uncivil to other posters. 

My sincere apology if I offended anyone. 

Nope, my apology for reading it incorrectly.

• Like 8
On 4/9/2023 at 6:24 AM, Jst2Wld said:

Maybe I'm too fussy about physicality in another persons sexiness but that guy in the Whush commercial (for cleaning out your ear wax) is just weird looking. 

He has sloping shoulders, his head looks like it's growing out of two different shoulder body shapes.

He's been annoying me for a long time but I just had to say something before "he" pushed me over the edge to insanity. I'm  already half way there! I don't need his help

I am grossed out by this commercial. I have to change the channel whenever this commercial starts.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My mom used to make "economy meals" of Spam cubed with scrambled eggs. I hated it. One evening, I was the last one at the dinner table, poking at. Mom was almost done doing the dishes and wanted my (cleaned off) plate. I made a deal with her - I'll eat this now if you promise never to make it again. She agreed. I ate, she finished washing the dishes & I dried them.  She remembered the deal and didn't make the god-awful dish again. I think she forgot she'd ever made some crap like that until she was old and I reminded her. AIIIEEEE.  She started it up again for herself and LIKED it.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But dietary cholesterol doesn't contribute to blood cholesterol, does it? 

And, really, naked Spam is nasty, but that stir fried stuff does kind of look good. Not much different than sausage, just an out-of-proportion cube rather than a cylinder.

I'm still snort-laughing about your mom resurrecting the Spam and eggs dish. Now, aren't you sorry you reminded her?

Re the stir-fry in the commercial: I didn't remember how all the Spam I had had to eat as a kid tasted and the ad made it look good. Plus it seemed to be a good pandemic pantry staple, so I tried it again.

Stir-fried like in the commercial, it's greasy and pasty and salty. However, if you dice it into tiny cubes and slowly render it down in a nice medium-hot sauté pan, it makes pretty good brown crunchy meaty bits to sprinkle on other foods. Even eggs.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, Glitches said:

Claritin D.

🎼 It’s the most wonderful time of the year 🎵

Using a Christmas carol to sell this Spring product. Just Ugh. 

Every time I hear it, it sets my teeth on edge. After being forced to listen to Christmas music eight hours a day while working in retail, I can barely stand it at Christmas time let alone in mid April.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I thought the post was clearly addressing advertisers, and I wish many of them would just shut the fuck up, too.  

I thought the same about the post's target audience and wish the same of many of them as well.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I don't know what your screens look like, but I'd like to note this page number is 666.

Haha! I'd  like to make a change in the world and this is my chance. I hope I can turn 666 into 667. 

"Oh oh oh Ozempic". Annoying AF commercial. Does anyone know if Ozempic is the drug (beginning with O) that is also used for appetite control? It's  allegedly used by celebrities? 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Jst2Wld said:

Does anyone know if Ozempic is the drug (beginning with O) that is also used for appetite control? It's  allegedly used by celebrities? 

It is a drug for type 2 diabetes. It does generally also result in modest weight loss, and yes, it has been reported that people are taking it who don't have T2D and it has in some cases caused shortages. There's another drug just approved (whose name escapes me) with perhaps even more effect on weight (but it is also not approved for weight loss, only T2D). 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 3
20 hours ago, Jst2Wld said:

I get grossed out every time I see those Domino's greasy Tater Tots with greasy cheese etc on them.

Whereas I want to order them.  The grease is a pro, not a con, for me.

19 hours ago, Maverick said:

Lol.   Never heard that one.  Spam is popular in Hawaii because it was a major food source in the islands during WWII. 

That's when my mom got used to eating it.  It was one of the few affordable sources of meat during her childhood.  She still loves it.  I do not.  Although I do like the Spam sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus, so that's something, I guess.

19 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Except in my experience, tots lose their crispness within seconds after they come out of the oven. 

Mine don't.  Maybe I cook them longer to begin with?  I've had loaded tots from a local carryout place.  They're good, but they use cheese sauce on them, so yeah, diminished crispiness.  It looks like Domino's just uses shredded cheese, which would be less problematic.

17 hours ago, Glitches said:

Claritin D.

🎼 It’s the most wonderful time of the year 🎵

Using a Christmas carol to sell this Spring product. Just Ugh. 

We all know it should only be used for Staples' Back-to-School commercials.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 9
22 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Except in my experience, tots lose their crispness within seconds after they come out of the oven. 

Cook them at 450 for longer than the package says. Or buy the mini tots, which are much crisper. I've never had tots from any restaurant that were any good.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

The Teeter might be the craziest thing to fix a problem I've seen. It cracks me up to see people going upside down head first.

I don't have a back problem so I have no idea if it works but I would probably get motion sickness from this contraption 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

Cook them at 450 for longer than the package says. Or buy the mini tots, which are much crisper. I've never had tots from any restaurant that were any good.

I don’t cook them longer but I do turn them over halfway through and they stay crispy.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

The Teeter might be the craziest thing to fix a problem I've seen. It cracks me up to see people going upside down head first.

I don't have a back problem so I have no idea if it works but I would probably get motion sickness from this contraption 

It looks so comfortable to me! Is this the one with the old dude who jumps at the end? The jump is so tiny but he’s so proud. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

I'd be afraid it would lock up or something and I'd be stuck upside down for hours.

• Like 7
  • LOL 4

I just saw an ad for Tide tonight. A ceiling crashed on someone sitting in a chair. A baby had food all over his head/face. Crap was happening to various people. At the end of the ad it said Tide was made for things like this (I can't recall the exact words). There are people who create videos similar to this & submit them to those "funniest videos" shows. A lot of the targets of "accidents" are little children.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, millennium said:

Are you talking about comparing the annoying voices of the two spokesfemales?  The second one gives nails on chalkboard a run for its money.  If I ever see these ads, I'll know to instamute!

6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just saw an ad for Tide tonight. A ceiling crashed on someone sitting in a chair. A baby had food all over his head/face. Crap was happening to various people. At the end of the ad it said Tide was made for things like this (I can't recall the exact words). There are people who create videos similar to this & submit them to those "funniest videos" shows. A lot of the targets of "accidents" are little children.

I saw this one yesterday or the day before and it is a hot mess.

• Like 7
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think those commercials are for Tide Power Pods, which have more detergent than regular Tide Pods and are for larger loads/extra messy loads.

• Useful 1
On 4/12/2023 at 6:40 AM, Gharlane said:

I hate that commercial because it looks like the baby is twerking.

ITA-I guess it a thing, advertisers think its cute now to show babies 'twerking' and tween-agers in sprayed -on clothing. 

Edited by xls
added coment
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1

I really think that the baby is just doing that bouncy-knee thing that babies do once they learn that they can. No one's making that baby twerk (and it doesn't really even look like twerking to me).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 14
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I really think that the baby is just doing that bouncy-knee thing that babies do once they learn that they can. No one's making that baby twerk (and it doesn't really even look like twerking to me).

I think its cute, I've seen a lot of babies doing that. Not sure what they think they are doing, but they seem to enjoy it.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Are you talking about comparing the annoying voices of the two spokesfemales?  The second one gives nails on chalkboard a run for its money.  If I ever see these ads, I'll know to instamute!

Ding ding ding!   Vocal fry at its best/worst.  Whenever I hear the second one, I immediately think it's Christina Hall/Haack/Anstead/El Moussa/Travertine/etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
On 4/13/2023 at 1:14 AM, CrystalBlue said:

I don't know what your screens look like, but I'd like to note this page number is 666.

So is mine, this is my contribution to get past that number.

I haven't had straight spam, but I used to eat Spam slices.  I'd make them into a breakfast sandwich. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Before I'd make a sliced Spam sandwich, I'd fry the stuff so it gets a little crispier than straight out of the can.

ETA: OK, for you superstitious folks, we're on page 667 now. LOL

I do that, I fry the spam and eggs together,  while I make toast in the toaster.

• Like 1
On 4/13/2023 at 3:27 PM, tres bien said:

My husband loves his, on the advice of his neurosurgeon. It's very helpful for lower back issues.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4