Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Boy, do I hate those U.S. Money Reserve ads.  They are like 4-5 minutes long and they'll run them in every commercial break in a show.  I esp. dislike the one where if you had a certain amount of gold in 1976 and the same amount in money (which you hid in your mattress, apparently) you'd have so much more money today than if you just let the money sit uninvested.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
On 4/22/2023 at 1:54 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Is there a Fleetwood Mac song that hasn't been used in a TV commercial?

5 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

"Tusk"?

Don't give the Advertising People any ideas. Some cruise ship line will pick it up and it'll be Lust For Life  all over again.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Like 2
  • LOL 9

An ad for some sort of SUV caused the hubs and I to shout in indignation at the same time.

This lady is just flirting with disaster at every turn as she attempts to continuously drive into traffic, but the car stops her.  At the end, she is letting her kid out at the park and he almost bolts out into oncoming traffic but the car stops him again.

She was right next to the park!  Why is he getting out on the traffic side?  Does this park not have a parking lot?  I didn’t see another kid in the backseat, so I’ll just fanwank that there is a baby carrier there. Otherwise she is not teaching that kid correctly because he should have gotten out on the passenger side.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

She was right next to the park!  Why is he getting out on the traffic side?  Does this park not have a parking lot?  I didn’t see another kid in the backseat, so I’ll just fanwank that there is a baby carrier there. Otherwise she is not teaching that kid correctly because he should have gotten out on the passenger side.

There used to be more.

• Like 2
  • LOL 15

In re: Colonial Penn's $9.95 Plan. 

If you are a 75 year old male, the benefit of this plan is $560, which means that after the first two years, you've already sent them almost half your benefit.  If you are a 70 year old male the benefit is $717 or a 50 year old male $ 1786.  Frankly you'd be better off putting $9.95 in an interest-bearing bank account every month. 

On 4/24/2023 at 9:09 PM, jcbrown said:

How big is the market for people who "have a structured settlement and... need cash now" that I have to hear that awful jingle so very many times per hour?

Based on people who win the lottery probably a lot.  Apparently its very common for them to blow all their money. If the settlement is due to some kind of injury that prevents a person from working it might be useful (but again, many people get money and spend it right away).

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3

There's a commercial for Freshpet where a guy is cooking dinner for his girlfriend. She is disgusted when she finds a roll of Freshpet dog food in his refrigerator. "You keep dog food in your refrigerator?" she says. He should reply, "Well, bitch, I keep food in the fridge for you, don't I?" 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 15
On 4/23/2023 at 5:41 PM, Kimmmmmm said:

Maybe already covered... but that one for "Meaningful Beauty" that starts "For decades we've been mesmerized by Cindy Crawford's radiant beauty! No... not one time.

I mean, she's extremely attractive, but I wouldn't say I was mesmerized.  Nor did I ever think "If I used her beauty products, I could look like that".  I just assumed she was very genetically blessed.

41 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

There's a commercial for Freshpet where a guy is cooking dinner for his girlfriend. She is disgusted when she finds a roll of Freshpet dog food in his refrigerator. "You keep dog food in your refrigerator?" she says. He should reply, "Well, bitch, I keep food in the fridge for you, don't I?" 

Whereas I think "Wow, you waste money on that?".

• Like 4
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

I must have missed that version of the commercial, but kicking her out of his house seems a bit extreme. 

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I mean, she's extremely attractive, but I wouldn't say I was mesmerized.  Nor did I ever think "If I used her beauty products, I could look like that".  I just assumed she was very genetically blessed.

That's why it cracks me up one version of the commercial shows her mom.  Yeah, okay, I'm going to believe this magical melon is the reason she looks like she does while I'm looking right at her mother.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Whereas I think "Wow, you waste money on that?".

Do you mean you think it's a waste of money to buy dog food or just Freshpet dog food?  (I haven't seen the commercial.)

3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I must have missed that version of the commercial, but kicking her out of his house seems a bit extreme. 

I haven't seen the commercial, but does the Freshpet guy kick the girlfriend out of the house or are you suggesting the OP means to kick the bitchy girlfriend who doesn't like his dog's food in the fridge out of his house?

1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

suggesting the OP means to kick the bitchy girlfriend who doesn't like his dog's food in the fridge out of his house?

That's what the boyfriend does (or maybe she just leaves and he's happy).

I mean, I keep half cans of wet catfood in the fridge with a lid on. Is that "keeping pet food in the fridge?" Doesn't everyone do that?

• Like 15
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Is addressing her as  "bitch" supposed to be part of the dog food joke?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
15 minutes ago, dleighg said:

That's what the boyfriend does (or maybe she just leaves and he's happy).

I don't think he's a boyfriend, because this is her first time in his apartment.  And I think he told her to leave - or I guess he could have made up an imaginary sudden illness - because we see the door shutting in her face, and then he's sitting there eating (meaning, he didn't eat with her as planned) while the dog eats the FreshPet.  I love him telling his dog "You were so right about her". 

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I haven't seen the commercial, but does the Freshpet guy kick the girlfriend out of the house or are you suggesting the OP means to kick the bitchy girlfriend who doesn't like his dog's food in the fridge out of his house?

After she insists that the product in his fridge is "dog food", not "food", we cut to him closing the front door in her face, which seems like a strange overreaction to me.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Do you mean you think it's a waste of money to buy dog food or just Freshpet dog food?

Freshpet.  I fully support feeding one's animals, but I hate the commercials for overpriced stuff like this because it tends to make those who can't afford it feel like bad pet owners.  Same with those shitty Blue Buffalo commercials.  Which actually have to include disclaimers saying that the brands they're criticizing provide balanced nutrition for your pets, but they put it in really tiny print because they want to sell you their overpriced stuff.

Honestly, buy what you can afford for your pet.  Most commercially available pet food produced in the US is nutritionally sound and balanced and safe.  (Now, the stuff coming in from China, yeah, skip that.)

15 hours ago, dleighg said:

I mean, I keep half cans of wet catfood in the fridge with a lid on. Is that "keeping pet food in the fridge?" Doesn't everyone do that?

I don't anymore because my cats don't like their wet food to be cold.  They want it room temperature.  But there's nothing wrong with keeping the properly sealed package in the fridge.  Honestly both people in that commercial are so over the top that it's ridiculous.

• Like 11
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The pets are always right about judging people.

Years ago, my then husband invited a couple over for drinks.  We had a cute little dog who never, ever gave anyone any trouble.  For some reason, she walked over to the guy, hiked her little leg, peed on the guy's shoe, then walked away.  We were horrified and apologized, but the wife looked at her husband like he must have done something wrong.  🤣

• LOL 13
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Years ago, my then husband invited a couple over for drinks.  We had a cute little dog who never, ever gave anyone any trouble.  For some reason, she walked over to the guy, hiked her little leg, peed on the guy's shoe, then walked away.  We were horrified and apologized, but the wife looked at her husband like he must have done something wrong.  🤣

Animals know. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, Gharlane said:

After she insists that the product in his fridge is "dog food", not "food", we cut to him closing the front door in her face, which seems like a strange overreaction to me.

Normally I'd agree, but not with how damn snotty she is about it.  That face, and that voice, coming at me over something so simple?  Yeah, I'd opt to eat dinner with the dog instead of her, too.

• Like 14
  • Fire 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Normally I'd agree, but not with how damn snotty she is about it.  That face, and that voice, coming at me over something so simple?  Yeah, I'd opt to eat dinner with the dog instead of her, too.

So I finally saw this commercial today.  I'm glad she ended up outside the door.  The dog is cute (of course)!

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 4/27/2023 at 11:19 AM, Gharlane said:

I think the point was supposed to be she left on her own out of disgust.  Apparently she is not an animal person.  I think the guy dodged a bullet.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I think the point was supposed to be she left on her own out of disgust.  Apparently she is not an animal person.  I think the guy dodged a bullet.

Why? Not liking animals doesn't make you a bad person. She obviously thinks it's wrong to feed a dog something that looks like human food. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, kathyk24 said:

Why? Not liking animals doesn't make you a bad person. She obviously thinks it's wrong to feed a dog something that looks like human food. 

I don't like the way she talks down to the guy, and is so sarcastic.  It is his home and his refrigerator, after all.  Anyone can keep whatever they want in their own refrigerator.  

• Like 13
  • Applause 1

I haven't seen this particular commercial but from what I have read here, maybe she was offended that he kept his dog's food in the same refrigerator as the people food? Maybe she thought it would "contaminate" what she was going to eat?Either way, pretty stupid/rude of her.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 10
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

But if that is true, it's weird. Why shouldn't pets' food look like "human" food? To be honest, my cats' food doesn't look much different than, say, meatloaf or chili or something (and there was one brand that I don't use anymore that literally had an intact, recognizable shrimp in it -- and another had a quail egg!).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 8
On 4/27/2023 at 7:12 PM, dleighg said:

Yes! I bought rubber lids from Amazon that fit cat food cans.  The Hills and Royal Canon prescription food is hella expensive, I am not tossing any of it, if it's cold from the fridge I heat the leftovers in the microwave for my little Cornish Rex!

When I started dating my now husband I looked in his fridge and all he had in there was bottled water and half eaten cat food cans, (seriously it was blinding to open the door), thankfully he had a cat otherwise I'd be worried, lol.

I am guessing that girl so offended by pet food in the fridge would be less than thrilled to sleep with the dog in their bed...that guy and his dog dodged a bullet!

• Like 12
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

But if that is true, it's weird. Why shouldn't pets' food look like "human" food?

Why shouldn't human food look like pet food?  That's the whole point of Bachelor Chow (see "Futurama"- -"Now With Flavor!").

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
6 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Why shouldn't human food look like pet food?  That's the whole point of Bachelor Chow (see "Futurama"- -"Now With Flavor!").

Fancy Feast.  In the ads the kitty gets served from a crystal dish.  The varieties are things like Medleys Primavera Collection and other chef-inspired recipes.

• Like 4

I've definitely seen a dog food commercial where the mix of salmon, rice, and spinach looked appetizing to me until I realized what was being advertised.

I buy Hills prescription dry chow for my cats, so while it looks about like any other dry food it costs more per pound than the groceries I buy for myself!

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
On 4/27/2023 at 2:22 PM, Bastet said:

That's why it cracks me up one version of the commercial shows her mom.  Yeah, okay, I'm going to believe this magical melon is the reason she looks like she does while I'm looking right at her mother.

Cindy Crawford's daughter is the spitting image of her. I'd say it's a closer match than even Lori Loughlin and her twit of a daughter Olivia Jade. (Although there's a lot of speculation about the amount of plastic surgery Olivia Jade got, so she might have looked even more like her mom if she hadn't gotten procedures.)

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I buy Hills prescription dry chow for my cats, so while it looks about like any other dry food it costs more per pound than the groceries I buy for myself!

I was never so happy as when I discovered that working part-time for a vet allowed me to sign up for "Purina for Professionals" and get the prescription food for less than half-price!   I only worked 12 hours a week and the discounts were spectacular.

Stella now has arthritis and needs Cosequin sprinkled on her food. Except she refuses to eat ANY wet food, in a crystal dish nor a paper plate nor any receptacle in between. Fancy Feast ads are lying.

• Like 5
On 4/27/2023 at 7:34 PM, Bastet said:

I don't think he's a boyfriend, because this is her first time in his apartment.  And I think he told her to leave - or I guess he could have made up an imaginary sudden illness - because we see the door shutting in her face, and then he's sitting there eating (meaning, he didn't eat with her as planned) while the dog eats the FreshPet.  I love him telling his dog "You were so right about her". 

Are you sure he’s eating regular food?  I thought he was also chowing down on the Freshpet, which is what made this commercial especially heinous for me. I guess they didn’t go that far. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Are you sure he’s eating regular food?  I thought he was also chowing down on the Freshpet, which is what made this commercial especially heinous for me. I guess they didn’t go that far. 

LOL.  No, they didn't.  After she's gone, we see him open the refrigerator and get the FreshPet bag out, but that's only what the dog is eating in the next shot -- the guy is eating noodles. 

What distracts me in the commercial is how he keeps moving the spoons around to toss the salad -- they barely touch the vegetables.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
43 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

The one with Drew Barrymore screeching "Bingo!!!!!!".... in fact, anything with Drew Barrymore.

I could tolerate it if the game was any good. I love Bingo and have been looking for a substitute since Microsoft dropped their Bingo game. That Bingo game is terrible.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

The one with Drew Barrymore screeching "Bingo!!!!!!".... in fact, anything with Drew Barrymore.

I tend to like Drew Barrymore, but those Bingo commercials are awful!

• Like 9
On 4/29/2023 at 8:27 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Fancy Feast.  In the ads the kitty gets served from a crystal dish.  The varieties are things like Medleys Primavera Collection and other chef-inspired recipes.

When I was younger I would have totally bought "Bachelor Chow."

• Like 2
On 4/29/2023 at 12:19 AM, Gramto6 said:

I haven't seen this particular commercial but from what I have read here, maybe she was offended that he kept his dog's food in the same refrigerator as the people food? Maybe she thought it would "contaminate" what she was going to eat? Either way, pretty stupid/rude of her.

On 4/29/2023 at 9:26 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Yes! I bought rubber lids from Amazon that fit cat food cans.  The Hills and Royal Canon prescription food is hella expensive, I am not tossing any of it, if it's cold from the fridge I heat the leftovers in the microwave for my little Cornish Rex!

I used to put leftover wet cat food in the fridge until my vet said they don't like cold odorless food and it won't spoil if you store the leftovers in the microwave for a day (I fed Fabulous before going to work and when I got home from work). I eventually switched to the single-serving cans because it was a pain in the arse and sometimes I'd forget to use the leftover catfood.

On 4/29/2023 at 9:55 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I've definitely seen a dog food commercial where the mix of salmon, rice, and spinach looked appetizing to me until I realized what was being advertised.

That reminds me of the time I came home from college and ate some homemade food for our cat from the fridge.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 7
Just now, peacheslatour said:

Thank you for posting that commercial, Gharlane. I had never seen it. What a condescending bitch! I would have kicked her out too.

Yes, thanks for posting it. I hadn't seen it, but now that I have, that guy dodged a bullet...goodbye bitch!

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

When I was younger I would have totally bought "Bachelor Chow."

I've never heard of Bachelor Chow, just the Purina dog and cat chows.  I've been a slave buying Fancy Feast for 30 years now.  The first can I bought for my first kitty girl changed my life forever.  I just got a new supply of Gravy Lovers delivered today for my little princess.

• Like 4

I don't know why but the Charmin Bear commercials bug me. Back when they had them in the woods using toilet paper it was funny. It was a play on the "does a bear shit in the woods?' saying. Having them living in a house or at a job makes no sense and loses the whole point of it all.

I do love the Chewy Pet commercials. I find myself randomly saying, "Peanut Butter box is here." in an accent.

• Like 8
  • LOL 8
On 4/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, Gharlane said:

As does calling her a dog. 

• Like 3