Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Panda Express, a fast foodish restaurant that at best is as good as Chinese food from a food court, has this commercial in circulation with a scene where their take-out food is steaming up their glasses (yeah, right) and the singer is doing this plinka chinka-plinka cadence that sounds like "oriental music" which I find totally annoying. 

To follow up on others' comments that it's a real song: The cadence is original to the song, and the lead singer even said on his YouTube channel that he was surprised at how close they made the cover to the real song.

They also added some Mandarin in the middle. They did that, too, with Ring of Fire. I think that was entirely in Mandarin when they used it for another commercial. I can't think of any others.

• Useful 1
On 3/29/2023 at 1:50 PM, peacheslatour said:

The new Poshmark ad with the girl who appears to be around eleven years old. You know mommy and daddy are paying for all the crap she's selling on there. Also, when I think of a "side hustle", I think of guys with trucks who move stuff or haul junk on weekends or the copier repair lady who sells weed on the side.

Almost everything about Poshmark sounds suspicious to me, from the people in commercials claiming it paid for cars and college to the "side hustle" description.

44 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Not only are the voices annoying, they are making sentences that seem nonsensical, even for little kids!

They all sound like profoundly stupid children in those gummy bear commercials.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

Almost everything about Poshmark sounds suspicious to me, from the people in commercials claiming it paid for cars and college to the "side hustle" description.

It's weird how the girl says she sells housewares right after she tells us that it's her first apartment. Maybe she made off with her parents' stuff when she moved out.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
30 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Definitely mustache.  In the long version of the commercial, she has a thing of wax she contemplates using.  Which she should.  And cut out the stupid dancing in the classroom.

By a British band named The Darkness:

I loved The Darkness! They were so fey.

• Like 3

Okay, a new (to me) and supremely annoying commercial for some kind of sticky cosmetic (WHY?) is the one with Jennifer Coolidge.  I kinda understand her overblown enthusiasm, but truthfully, I would think you’d run for the hills rather than apply that kind of adhesive to your face!  It’s beyond puzzling how they thought this would be a good message - unless I’m missing something!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, OldStandard said:

Okay, a new (to me) and supremely annoying commercial for some kind of sticky cosmetic (WHY?) is the one with Jennifer Coolidge.  I kinda understand her overblown enthusiasm, but truthfully, I would think you’d run for the hills rather than apply that kind of adhesive to your face!  It’s beyond puzzling how they thought this would be a good message - unless I’m missing something!

This one has me wondering too. It's for elf brand cosmetics. The only thing I can think of is that they are saying their cosmetics don't easily rub off.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 3/30/2023 at 11:51 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I've heard you can just slap some Lume on them and it'll be fine.

Unless you're Spencer.

Do we need to rinse and/or scrape Spencer before putting him in the dishwasher?  I think his dirty dick would benefit from  daily washing.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:22 PM, millennium said:

I find it no coincidence that the comments for this commercial have been "turned off" at youtube.  Or that there is no "share" link.   Those bastards at Cologuard know exactly what they're doing.  This is like harassment.  I hope they're damned to spend eternity in Satan's asshole.

Does Satan use cologuard to confirm he doesn't have cancer in his asshole? 

• LOL 6
46 minutes ago, OldStandard said:

I had seen that spot quite a few times without really paying attention and then I did and I could not figure out why the cosmetics company would want this message. Is sticky primer what we really want? It seems like it would be a miserable feeling to have that on your face. What is the purpose of this product?

• Like 6
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

It's not one product -- it's for the entire line of elf brand cosmetics, lipstick and so on.

The commercial I saw just showed the primer.  But it's definitely not a good look for the entire brand.

• Fire 1
(edited)
On 4/2/2023 at 12:55 PM, iMonrey said:

Oh, is that what's happening? I honestly had no idea what this commercial was trying to say, the whole Freddie Mercury thing went right over my head. I assumed this was about a boy who was transitioning into a girl.

Speaking for my people, no self-respecting transgender girl would go around looking like that.

Now, as for the "dancing" ...

Edited by millennium
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Do we need to rinse and/or scrape Spencer before putting him in the dishwasher?  I think his dirty dick would benefit from  daily washing.

If you're gonna clean him up daily, use Cascade. That way, he can be the only thing in the dishwasher.

3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

What is the purpose of this product?

The purpose is to make money for the stockholders off of people too eager to try the next thing without thinking critically about it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 3/31/2023 at 7:52 PM, tres bien said:

Is getting eight UTI's a year not enough for someone to seek medical care?

Uqora which seems to be cooked up in a couple's kitchen doesn't seem like something I would depend on if I had multiple UTI's a year 

And anyone who has had 8 UTI's in a year should absolutely seek medical advice FIRST before trying some OTC woo woo.  Commercial makes me cringe every time.

• Like 11
18 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I had seen that spot quite a few times without really paying attention and then I did and I could not figure out why the cosmetics company would want this message. Is sticky primer what we really want? It seems like it would be a miserable feeling to have that on your face. What is the purpose of this product?

I don't remember the name of the product but every night I see a cosmetic commercial several times for a foundation that seems to have the consistency of paint.  I don't know how people can stand the feel of that thick glop on their face.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It's not one product -- it's for the entire line of elf brand cosmetics, lipstick and so on.

I don't think so. Looks like it's for a specific makeup primer (with "Power Grip" in its name) and not the entire inventory. I don't use a primer, but I do use other e.l.f. stuff -- not all of it, as I don't wear a lot of makeup -- but nothing I have is sticky or hard to remove. In fact, it's really good, especially considering the price (the aloe face mist is so fabulous that I buy a few at a time).

That said, touting an item's stickiness doesn't seem like a ringing endorsement for anything that isn't tape or glue or something, particularly for people with sensory issues.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 7
On 4/3/2023 at 10:12 AM, chessiegal said:

Panda Express has sit down restaurants? The only place I've ever seen one is in a food court in a mall.

We have a stand alone PE about 10 minutes from my house. It has indoor seating

• Useful 1
On 4/3/2023 at 3:13 PM, chessiegal said:

As I said before, the cosmetics don't rub off easily. I'm not saying it's a good campaign for elf, but I think that's their point.

Given how few of us got that, I'd say it's a terrible commercial for their products.

• Like 4

I've been seeing a set of commercials for Botox featuring people who obviously suffer from some form of body dysmorphia,  but there's this one young man who's a preening personal trainer I cannot stand. I think it's mostly because they show before and after interview footage and it's obvious that his eyebrows no longer move as he talks and it makes him looks weird and less attractive.  

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
On 4/3/2023 at 10:24 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Those damn haribo commercials with adults talking in the high kids voices.  

Shut up and get off my tv.  

Don't make too much fun of them.  They are my company's leadership team.

• LOL 21

I saw the Coolidge "Sticky" commercial today. It's for a line of products. At the end, they mention 3 things - I think it was eyes, lips, face (or maybe skin - it implied foundation). And it is e.l.f., which must stand for "Exactly Like Fudge."

WHY would you want your face to be so sticky, a whole packet of Kleenexes stick to it? And then sticks you to the glass shower door?  God forbid you lose an eyelash and it falls on your cheek. That sucker's gonna be there forever.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
25 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I saw the Coolidge "Sticky" commercial today. It's for a line of products. At the end, they mention 3 things - I think it was eyes, lips, face (or maybe skin - it implied foundation). And it is e.l.f., which must stand for "Exactly Like Fudge."

Yes, that's the tagline on iSpot: 

Tagline

“eyes. lips. face. sticky.”

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

WHY would you want your face to be so sticky, a whole packet of Kleenexes stick to it? And then sticks you to the glass shower door?  God forbid you lose an eyelash and it falls on your cheek. That sucker's gonna be there forever.

35 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Tagline

e.l.f. Cosmetics is a cosmetics and makeup company which initials stand for eyes, lips, face.

The product being advertised in the commercial with Jennifer Coolidge is Power Grip Face Primer.

It is supposed to be sticky so that your foundation sticks to the primer.  I don't know how that is supposed to be different than all the other primers on the market, including the various primers already available from e.l.f., but there you have it.

Jennifer Coolidge is supposed to be funny in this commercial because she is allegedly a comedian which explains the numerous other cosmetics and stuff sticking to her face.

e.l.f. has some good products at affordable prices but I hate this commercial!

P.S. Is Jennifer Coolidge supposed to be attractive?

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I think Jennifer Coolidge is talented, however a little goes a very long way.

FWIW, I love e.l.f. cosmetics because they are a cause-based company and cruelty free.  Plus, they're pretty darned good.

e.l.f: we stand with every eye, lip, face, paw and fin

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Balance of Nature Fruits and Veggies. I can't say the commercials annoy me but I just don't get it.

The guy that invented these and the people in the commercials claim these have changed their lives.

That's it. If anyone is taking these please chime in.

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 3

Re: balance of nature. Yes those ads run incessantly. I was curious so looked them up. They are EXPENSIVE, obviously because they are spending a fortune on advertising. As a person scientifically trained, I can't imagine they can get the "good stuff" of fruits and vegetables into a pill. For example, fiber. I don't know what's left that you can pack into a pill.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, tres bien said:

Balance of Nature Fruits and Veggies. I can't say the commercials annoy me but I just don't get it.

The guy that invented these and the people in the commercials claim these have changed their lives.

I'm not sure if it's the same brand, but my personal trainer recommended them. I tried the fruit and the vegetable ones but I don't recall it being life-transforming and it was cheaper to just eat more fruits and vegetables. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Tagline

Seems like a really terrible tagline.  I don't want any of my makeup to be sticky.  Long-lasting and sticky are very different things.

Plus, I cannot stand Jennifer Coolidge, so this commercial is a huge fail for me.

17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

It is supposed to be sticky so that your foundation sticks to the primer. 

I don't know about other people, but I use foundation which stays on my face.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, cynicat said:

I think Jennifer Coolidge is talented, however a little goes a very long way.

FWIW, I love e.l.f. cosmetics because they are a cause-based company and cruelty free.  Plus, they're pretty darned good.

e.l.f: we stand with every eye, lip, face, paw and fin

I like JC, but not this commercial. I also like e.l.f. poreless putty primer, which isn't sticky.

I hit the mute button for 99% of commercials, this one is no different.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
36 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

I hit the mute button for 99% of commercials, this one is no different.

So do I.

I have the e.l.f. Hydrating Face Primer in the blue pump bottle and it is nice, and not sticky, which I don't think was ever a thing before this annoying commercial with the annoying (to me) JC.  After her Old Navy ads, she is just too weird and clunky for me.  Never saw her acting and don't want to.

9 hours ago, Haleth said:

I hate it when foundation slides off my face.

In the heat and humidity, foundation can feel like it's sliding off your face.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, tres bien said:

I should have posted this under Commercials That Make Me Scratch My Head. So I guess they do annoy me 

And their spokesman looks....embalmed.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, tres bien said:

I should have posted this under Commercials That Make Me Scratch My Head. So I guess they do annoy me 

21st century snake oil.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Deskisamess said:

21st century snake oil.

Yep, I was just gonna say that.  Balance of Nature had, and maybe still do, a relentless radio presence, which is where I've heard their commercials.

• Like 1

18 hours ago

20 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I hate it when Jennifer Coolidge sticks to my face.

Maybe you should see a doctor about that.

But only if it's moderate to severe. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
4 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

But only if it's moderate to severe

that always cracks me up. I know that they do this because that's the range of severity that the drug is meant for, but in reality, someone would say (well not really, but you know what I mean) "I have moderate XYZ disease." or "I have severe XYZ disease." 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

that always cracks me up. I know that they do this because that's the range of severity that the drug is meant for, but in reality, someone would say (well not really, but you know what I mean) "I have moderate XYZ disease." or "I have severe XYZ disease." 

I like that they always say "Don't take this drug if you are allergic to it."  Really, you need to tell someone that?

• Like 12
1 minute ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I like that they always say "Don't take this drug if you are allergic to it."  Really, you need to tell someone that?

How would you know you were allergic to it without taking it is always my question.

• Like 15
3 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

How would you know you were allergic to it without taking it is always my question.

They also say things like, "Consult your doctor before taking X New Drug." I would hope that would be the first course of action.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

They also say things like, "Consult your doctor before taking X New Drug." I would hope that would be the first course of action.

And "Let your doctor know if" followed by a list of health issues I really hope your doctor already knows.  Things like having had an organ transplant for example.

• Like 9