Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I have one that's not pharma...fucking Sonic. 

It's the way they make it seem like twelve team members are in there working on whatever you ordered. "Applying the aoli!" First of all Sonic, relax, it's mayonnaise with oregano in it. Second of all, shut up everyone back there, just make the food. "Putting the cheese on the burger!" "Putting burger on the brioche roll!" 

On 9/14/2022 at 1:39 PM, Gharlane said:

From the "children who need a smacked in the mouth" department, there's a commercial featuring these two parents coming late and sneaking in (after putting the car in "stealth mode"!) and being confronted by their child and acting like they're children and she's the adult that peeves me. 😡

I like that one only because in my version, it doesn't end with the kid's indignation. It ends with the mom saying "What, I was blowing your dad after he fingered me at the end of the block, because you're constantly up our ass for some reason about why we're out late. Get over yourself." CUT. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 9/10/2022 at 9:35 PM, millennium said:

I wonder about Lume's data collection methods.   I know perfume companies pay professional "smellers" handsomely.   What would they have to pay somebody at Lume?

The answer is almost nothing because the internet is full of weirdos who'd do it for nothing. 

BUT, it does raise the question, if there's a professional junk smeller, does anyone ever ask him or her how their day at work was?

• LOL 5

I have one that's not pharma...fucking Sonic. 

It's the way they make it seem like twelve team members are in there working on whatever you ordered. "Applying the aoli!" First of all Sonic, relax, it's mayonnaise with oregano in it. Second of all, shut up everyone back there, just make the food. "Putting the cheese on the burger!" "Putting burger on the brioche roll!" 

I have cited this here too! Is this why Sonic takes forever to get your food to you -- all of the employees are working on one order at the same time?

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

The answer is almost nothing because the internet is full of weirdos who'd do it for nothing. 

BUT, it does raise the question, if there's a professional junk smeller, does anyone ever ask him or her how their day at work was?

As long as it's not "scratch & sniff."

• LOL 4
7 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

It was ass.

7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have cited this here too! Is this why Sonic takes forever to get your food to you -- all of the employees are working on one order at the same time?

That commercial is so ridiculous.  As if some car hop fast food restaurant has a half dozen employees executing some perfectly orchestrated ballet not seen in Michelin-starred kitchens every time a hungover stoner with the munchies orders a value fry.  The reality is you're lucky if you can find 1 1/2 people to work at any given time in any fast food restaurant, much less a Sonic, the cheese won't be melted if it's on there at all, there will be 3x the sauce it's supposed to have causing most of it to end up on your shirt and any ice cream product you get will be half melted.  

• Sad 1
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 2
On 8/31/2022 at 1:06 PM, proserpina65 said:

And if what she wanted to say couldn't easily fit in a text, that would be stupid.  I'll leave it at that except to say that the last 3 or 4 Dr. Rick commercials have far more annoying than amusing.  How I long for the days of "Defense does win championships!".

GEICO has a tradition of running their funny commercials into the ground. The Geico Caveman commercial started out funny, but ended up having an Expanded Universe, including the terminally unfunny and quickly cancelled sitcom.

As for irritating commercials, I forget which company it is, but why did this tissue/paper towel company decide to feature a commercial starting a little boy with a huge snot bubble getting ready to wipe it on his sleeve? It's so gross to me. 🤢

• Love 5
16 hours ago, greyhorse said:

This one isn't going to be noticeable to anyone, since this is a tv forum and I hear it on the radio.  But it's so annoying that I just feel better posting it here.

Shopify has an ad where they promote their services by spotlighting a small mom and pop company that uses Shopify to sell their goods.

There is a woman who has a company named Satia (?) which sells cream/lotion that she created by cooking up something on her stove in her kitchen.  "My daughter suffers from eck-ZEE-ma and I was unhappy with the medicines that the doctor gave us.  So I did research and made my own eck-ZEE-ma lotion that has helped her tremendously."  (Paraphrasing, not an exact quote.). 

If you're going to create a company that is completely based on treating one medical condition, don't you think you should learn how to pronounce said medical condition?  I think most would agree that it's pronounced EG-zuh-muh.

I am pretty sure I saw that on TV. It sounds very familiar...

I noticed a lot of radio commercials end are only the audio part of TV commercials.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

GEICO has a tradition of running their funny commercials into the ground. The Geico Caveman commercial started out funny, but ended up having an Expanded Universe, including the terminally unfunny and quickly cancelled sitcom.

FUnny you should mention, this is a trap I feel like the Progressive with Flo and Jaime commercials hasn't fallen into. Those commercials are pretty consistently funny and creative, and have somehow created a bunch of characters I feel like I know. My favorite was the one where they went to Jaime's house for a party and were shocked by how cool he was on the downlow. Had a hot wife, played spanish guitar and had this incredible voice, it was good. 

• Love 9
19 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

"Spitting on the aoli!"

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

FUnny you should mention, this is a trap I feel like the Progressive with Flo and Jaime commercials hasn't fallen into. Those commercials are pretty consistently funny and creative, and have somehow created a bunch of characters I feel like I know. My favorite was the one where they went to Jaime's house for a party and were shocked by how cool he was on the downlow. Had a hot wife, played spanish guitar and had this incredible voice, it was good. 

I like the latest ones with Jon hamm too

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

"Spitting on the aoli!"

LOL, I just want the manager's voice to burst in with  "SHUT UP AND MAKE THE GOD DAMN HAMBURGER, THE NEXT VOICE I HEAR HAS TO PUT ON THE ROLLERSKATES." 

Pictured: behind the drive thru at Sonic apparently.

image.png.3727873efbdc3090053a4ef9510f77aa.png

Edited by Uncle JUICE
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1

The USA Family Protection ads where the elder parents don’t want to saddle their children with the cost of their “funeral and other final expenses” have some of the worst acting. It appears as if they’re reading line for line off either a script or prompter behind the person they’re speaking to 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

After dragging the past couple of Dr. Rick commercials, I have to say that the newest one that's centered around the book signing is pretty funny. It seems to get back to the original humor and doesn't seem mean-spirited. "The line is in shambles, people. Tuck it in!" lol

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

LOL, I just want the manager's voice to burst in with  "SHUT UP AND MAKE THE GOD DAMN HAMBURGER, THE NEXT VOICE I HEAR HAS TO PUT ON THE ROLLERSKATES." 

Pictured: behind the drive thru at Sonic apparently.

image.png.3727873efbdc3090053a4ef9510f77aa.png

And that's why they are spitting on the aoli!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, greekmom said:

The Daisy by Marc Jacob commercial. It's like a cult of girls in white flowey dresses with flowers in their hair chanting "Daisy Daisy Daisy".  Like WTF?!?!?

I don't know if they've made new ones, or if they've brought back the one from a couple years ago, but that one looked like a cut scene from Midsommar.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

As for irritating commercials, I forget which company it is, but why did this tissue/paper towel company decide to feature a commercial starting a little boy with a huge snot bubble getting ready to wipe it on his sleeve? It's so gross to me. 🤢

I finally saw the snot bubble commercial.     Icky!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, tanyak said:

After dragging the past couple of Dr. Rick commercials, I have to say that the newest one that's centered around the book signing is pretty funny. It seems to get back to the original humor and doesn't seem mean-spirited. "The line is in shambles, people. Tuck it in!" lol

Yes, love the line monitor.  I also like later when he gets caught making a dad joke and repeats from the book "Dad jokes are sad jokes".

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/16/2022 at 4:38 AM, Vanderboom said:

The woman’s face in this one is, to me, more annoying than the snot bubble. It is just way too much grimacing and contorting; a quick look of horror and/or a gasp (or expletive!) would have done the trick.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Sorry if it's been brought up before but let the record show I LOATHE the Colase ads that have TMI about digestive issues yet got me to listen for a few moments with their catchy background tune before I got what they were pitching and muted it! ARGHH!

• Love 1

Has anyone mentioned how the Lume ad looks homemade? The first several times, I thought she was leaning over the back of her couch, but then I realized she's crouched and what I thought was a cushion is actually her leg. Who decided that the best way to approach the commercial was for her to be slouching in her pajamas rather than looking professional? Am I supposed to feel like we're at a sleepover?

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Has anyone mentioned how the Lume ad looks homemade? The first several times, I thought she was leaning over the back of her couch, but then I realized she's crouched and what I thought was a cushion is actually her leg. Who decided that the best way to approach the commercial was for her to be slouching in her pajamas rather than looking professional? Am I supposed to feel like we're at a sleepover?

I think she started making these commercial during the Pandemic and we were all used to looking at Zoom meetings. But that time is over, she needs to make real commercials unless she's making so much money off these cheap ass things, she is just going for it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I mean, it's less annoying than the musical commercials they used to have, but she if she wants to do cheap (or cheap-looking) ads, she could be sitting on the couch like normal rather than hunched over and reaching around her knee the way she is. It's weird.

• Love 2

What is with the commercial with the guy smelling his beard?  I don't even know what product it is.  I change the channel too quickly.  It is disgustingly creepy.

I totally agree about the snot bubble commercial.  There are so many things wrong in that ad.  Disgusting.

I guess they pulled those totally obnoxious Virgin cruise commercials.  That was a good move.  They insured that I would never go on one of their cruises.

I also HATE the commercial where the kid stuffs crayons up his nose.  Why do advertisers think being gross and disgusting sells products?  They are not cute or funny.

Any ideas why I mostly watch streaming apps like Brit Box and Acorn?  (No awful commercials)

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

What is with the commercial with the guy smelling his beard?  I don't even know what product it is.  I change the channel too quickly.  It is disgustingly creepy.

That is so gross.  It's a State Farm series of commercials with people revealing too much personal information.  I do like the one with Patrick Mahomes though.  Who wouldn't like a jazz bath?

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

That is so gross.  It's a State Farm series of commercials with people revealing too much personal information.  I do like the one with Patrick Mahomes though.  Who wouldn't like a jazz bath?

Good job you spelt jazz correctly, so close to disaster.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1
On 9/14/2022 at 10:30 AM, Cinnabon said:

He’s also Buffalo Bill!

1 hour ago, Deskisamess said:

And the bad guy on Silence of the Lambs.

The bad guy in The Silence of the Lambs is Buffalo Bill.

7 hours ago, Haleth said:

I do like the one with Patrick Mahomes though. 

I like the one where he poses as "just a regular sneakerhead, working here for the employee discount" and the jazz bath one you mentioned.

• Love 1
On 9/16/2022 at 3:41 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I finally saw the snot bubble commercial.     Icky!!!

I did too, several times all day! I'm not sure which is worse, the growing snot bubble or his mother's reaction.

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 1

This one’s both annoying and head-scratching but I’ll post here:

The Hyundai Tucson commercial with the couple taking a road trip. The voice over and graphics describe a couple of features then the commercial ends with them out of the car using the car’s self-parking feature at a roadside restaurant. Cool, I guess, but the car ended up parked in what looked like a too-small spot so blocking those In the neighboring cars from using half of their doors. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2

Am I the only viewer who finds all the people in the ads promoting Botox Cosmetic thoroughly unlikeable? The preening black lady who 'cares too much', the Asian real estate lady who celebrates how she's 'changing and growing' (?) and now the 31 year old personal trainer who seemed unhappy that his eyebrows were able to go up and down-he doesn't have to worry about that anymore.

Not judging, truly- maybe jealous! I wish I could justify spending hundreds every 6 weeks just to have my long ago smooth forehead back,

eta: the newest person, a 42 year old mom of 9, actually comes across as pretty nice.  However, she looks exactly the same post-Botox.

Edited by sempervivum
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Love 11
On 9/17/2022 at 1:20 PM, peacheslatour said:

I think she started making these commercial during the Pandemic and we were all used to looking at Zoom meetings. But that time is over, she needs to make real commercials unless she's making so much money off these cheap ass things, she is just going for it.

I have started telling youtube to stop showing me every one of those ads. I don't know if it works but I'll try...

I want to tell her to put the deodorant down and take a damn shower.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Gharlane said:

At an Oktoberfest event yesterday I kept seeing a new AT&T commercial with James Lebrom, AKA "Le Bitch" that pissed me off even though the sound was off on their TV and I had no idea what they were talking about! 

Yes, he's in a commercial with the "Lilly" character.   

She is telling Lebron about the new IPhone, and they are passing a brochure back and forth. The commercial is stylistically very different from all of the other commercials that show Lilly behind the counter at the AT&T store.  Lilly is wearing a blue blazer instead of her usual blue button down shirt, and she has short hair and more glamorous makeup. 

I've never really liked the Lilly AT&T commercials, and this seems like it is more the actress with Lebron than the character.  The commercials stopped being funny a long time ago.  Lilly can go away anytime as far as I'm concerned.  

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 1

I think it's an ad for some sort of investment app. It features a woman who apparently made some suggestions for how to improve it? Or modified the app herself? (I wasn't really paying attention). But at the end she screeches "AND I'M NOT EVEN A CODER!"

Her voice is so annoying.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I think it's an ad for some sort of investment app. It features a woman who apparently made some suggestions for how to improve it? Or modified the app herself? (I wasn't really paying attention). But at the end she screeches "AND I'M NOT EVEN A CODER!"

Her voice is so annoying.

I've been noticing a lot of screechy/annoying womens voices in commercials lately. The mom who bought her car through some app and has to tell everyone she meets about it at great length, the "we got the house!!!"giggler, etc. Is this becoming some sort of trend or something?

• Love 4
On 9/16/2022 at 1:25 PM, tanyak said:

Having worked at a bookstore during book signings, I can say with authority that they DO need a line monitor.  Although maybe not for Dr. Rick's book.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4
On 9/19/2022 at 3:04 PM, sempervivum said:

Am I the only viewer who finds all the people in the ads promoting Botox Cosmetic thoroughly unlikeable? The preening black lady who 'cares too much', the Asian real estate lady who celebrates how she's 'changing and growing' (?) and now the 31 year old personal trainer who seemed unhappy that his eyebrows were able to go up and down-he doesn't have to worry about that anymore.

You are not. I roll my eyes whenever any of them are on TV. Which I can still do, because I've never had my eyelids surgically pulled back to make myself look younger!

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

The whole "doing something for me" in those Botox commercials doesn't make sense to me (admittedly a non-makeup wearing, won't wear high heels, naturally gray-haired woman); if you want to do something "for you" take a class, read a book, go for a walk, go to bed early, hire a housekeeper .... I could go on.

• Like 4
  • Applause 8
  • Love 5
On 9/19/2022 at 8:29 AM, Gharlane said:

At an Oktoberfest event yesterday I kept seeing a new AT&T commercial with James Lebrom, AKA "Le Bitch" that pissed me off even though the sound was off on their TV and I had no idea what they were talking about! 

"Le Bitch" pisses me off by his very existence.  If you look at an urban dictionary,  pretty sure that next to "asshat" you'd see his picture.  

• Applause 3
  • Love 1
On 9/19/2022 at 8:29 AM, Gharlane said:

That's Le King Bitch to all on Twitter!

On 9/19/2022 at 4:04 PM, sempervivum said:

Ah, first world problem people

On 9/19/2022 at 9:01 PM, ams1001 said:

I want to tell her to put the deodorant down and take a damn shower.

The claim is that both the deodorant and cream controls le funk for 72 hours.  So am I to assume that this relates to those who don't shower for 3 days and rely on Lume to keep le funk at bay?

• LOL 3

So, the women pooping commercial is bad enough, but now the Kathy Lee Gifford one is for the same company, but vitamins.   

I know she's older, but her face is very smooth, parts don't even move, and I didn't even recognize her at first. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So, the women pooping commercial is bad enough, but now the Kathy Lee Gifford one is for the same company, but vitamins.   

If the vitamins will make me look and dress like her, no thanks. She's almost 70, and dresses like a 19 year old. Can't stand her.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

She's always struck me as a complete phony.

And I never liked when she was on the Today show, she used to make fun of her husband Frank Gifford's age.  I used to yell at my tv screen, "Honey, you're no spring chicken!"

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
50 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

And I never liked when she was on the Today show, she used to make fun of her husband Frank Gifford's age.  I used to yell at my tv screen, "Honey, you're no spring chicken!"

I used to watch The Regis and Kathy Lee show after I walked my kid to the bus stop in the mornings. I just remember her crying and blubbering because her brand of whatever the hell  it was had been caught using child labor and the day they had on Marla Maples and Donald Trump after they had been caught in a tryst by Ivana.

• Love 1