Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

The commercial for some toenail fungus medicine. Where the woman has feet instead of hands!

And of course when I see this I can't help but think of the afore-mentioned Shriners/St. Jude's ads with the kid who learned to write with his feet (because he has no arms). Synchronicity.

• Love 8
On 4/18/2018 at 6:16 AM, DrSpaceman said:

I was wondering about her phone working out there in space too.  My son brought it up.  Not sure if she would get better reception because she is right out there by the satellites or worse because, would it work in orbit like that?  Would the signal go off into space or would it reach the satellite, going around the earths orbital path?

I feel like if DrSpaceman doesn't understand space, what hope is there for the rest of us?!  ;-)

• Love 9
19 hours ago, Maverick said:

You phone isn't communicating with the satellite (unless you have a satphone), it's communicating with the towers on the ground.  Phones can't get a signal on an airplane, much less in orbit.  

Shoot, my phone can hardly get a signal in my living room!

• Love 9

There's a commercial for Clearisil now with a girl who is bemoaning a blooming blemish on her teenage skin. Apparently it's close to prom and she's worried that it's going to ruin her night. "If this turns into a pimple, I will literally die," she says. I realize that teenagers say things like this, but this commercial bothers me because a friend of mine lost her son to suicide recently -- on prom night. I hope she hasn't seen this commercial.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

"Moooom, dinosaurs only ate meat!" What a nasty piece of work. He then proceeds to have multiple orgasms over his bowl of vegetables. WTF.

I just saw that one made a comeback - I was hoping it would stay gone forever.

What bothers me more is the whole fake wannabe nasty butter is "Made from the goodness of plants!!".  Why not just say it's made with vegetable oil and just be done with it?  The "goodness of plants" is just bizarre.  As for margarine, Country Crock is my least favorite.  Hate it.  With a passion. The taste is just so fake, and it doesn't melt nicely.  I almost exclusively use real butter anymore.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Real butter is better for you anyway. I finally got my DH off margarine. He was raised on it and didn't know any better. I don't think he could go back now that he knows what real butter tastes like.

We always had margarine because my mom was on the "no fat" craze of the 80's and 90's.  When my dad became diabetic, she switched back. My husband was raised on margarine because his mom said butter was "too hard to work with".  He won't go back now either.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Real butter is better for you anyway. I finally got my DH off margarine. He was raised on it and didn't know any better. I don't think he could go back now that he knows what real butter tastes like.

I was raised on it, we called it "oleo."  

• Love 3
On 4/16/2018 at 1:09 PM, Bastet said:

No, the Downy Odor Protect - allegedly - blocks odors from seeping into the fabric for 24 hours after washing.  That's the entire pitch of the ad - it conditions fibers to lock out odors for a day. 

Because the smoke odor is so considerate as to only hit your clothes, not your hair or anything else?

Ha, just figured out the target audience - cigarette smokers, not people in smoky restaurants. Like the toothpaste ad years back where the pitch was that your non-smoking relatives would be fooled if you brushed your teeth. Sure, there's one spot in the miasma surrounding you that doesn't smell. Wow.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

"Moooom, dinosaurs only ate meat!" What a nasty piece of work. He then proceeds to have multiple orgasms over his bowl of vegetables. WTF.

I always laugh at that ad for "organic" Country Cack butter.

• Love 4
On 4/18/2018 at 7:46 PM, Maverick said:

You phone isn't communicating with the satellite (unless you have a satphone), it's communicating with the towers on the ground.  Phones can't get a signal on an airplane, much less in orbit.

Airplanes are designed to shield the interior against lightning strikes, so you're going to have problems with cellphone signals getting through.

• Love 2
On 4/9/2018 at 12:35 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

I hate the Audi commercial where a man is going into witness protection and given a new name, a nice new house, and a nice new car. He decides he’ll take his chances with whatever dangerous characters he’s testifying against because, get this, he wouldn’t be able to keep his Audi. Really. You might get shot, blowed up good (possibly in the Audi!) and have your body sealed in concrete at some construction site, but at least you got those few weeks with your Audi. Yeah right. Like it’s such a fantastic, amazing car that it’s worth your life. Eat shit, Audi.

Well, PLUS, handler clearly tells him at the beginning of the commercial that his testimony "is going to save a lot of lives."

So not only is he going to get himself killed, because he's so selfish and arrogant about his car other people are going to die too! What a douche!

Is that Rhett and Link you're talking about?  They're big time Youtubers and have been involved in creating some of the best ads ever.

I love Rhett and Link! They're the geniuses behind the Red House commercial!

And Ojai Valley Taxidermy:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=rhett+and+link+taxidermy#id=5&vid=4294705382c07c4eb85bc9f603d0b30f&action=click

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 5

Lowe’s and Home Depot, quit it.  Black Friday is the day after Thanskgiving, full stop.
I normally listen to ESPN Radio every day but the app has been crap on toast lately so I’ve been watching the same shows on ESPN News instead.  Well, since Disney is the corporate overlord of ESPN, I see 9.2 million Disney World ads each break.

Which is actually fine, because they rotate them, and I like the one where the guy speaks “A Whole New World,” but one of them irritates me SO MUCH. It shows Mickey Mouse standing on one of the the streets and two kids come running over to him from different directions and hug him.

Fuck you, Disney.  I’ve only been to Disney World once in my life, but I still know there is no way in fuck Mickey Mouse would ever be standing anywhere without 47 children waiting impatiently in a haphazard not line.  I didn’t even SEE Mickey when I was there, and he was the only one I wanted to see.  I was also 42 years old, but you’re never too old to go to Disney, or so I’ve been told.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I was raised on it, we called it "oleo."  

I was raised on margarine too, and we lived in Wisconsin where, when I was a kid, margarine could not be sold (I don't know if it was truly illegal, or what the deal was).  Anyway, my grandma lived in Chicago, so when we went to visit her we always brought back tons of margarine.  I didn't think anything about it at the time, but when I got older I was like "MOM? You SMUGGLED margarine across state lines?"  I don't know why my mom was so enamoured of margarine but we never had anything else in our house.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I was raised on margarine too, and we lived in Wisconsin where, when I was a kid, margarine could not be sold (I don't know if it was truly illegal, or what the deal was).  Anyway, my grandma lived in Chicago, so when we went to visit her we always brought back tons of margarine.  I didn't think anything about it at the time, but when I got older I was like "MOM? You SMUGGLED margarine across state lines?"  I don't know why my mom was so enamoured of margarine but we never had anything else in our house.

It all has to do with taxes. Farmers wanted oleomargarine heavily taxed so it was more expensive than butter. For some reason I can't link to an article on it, but it revolves around the 1931 Oleomargarine Tax Stamp Act. The article also said some states outlawed oleomargarine.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

That misogynistic bullshit has been running for at least a decade. There are no commercials for men's pube razors.

It would have to be a commercial for one of these:

weed wacker.jpg

• Love 16
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

That misogynistic bullshit has been running for at least a decade. There are no commercials for men's pube razors.

Because real men don't shave their pubic hair so they look like little boys.?

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

This commercial by Rover.com... I hate it, it's very annoying.

Never saw that one until now. Yes, annoying. But after all, they are competing with Wags dog walking service where you can track your dog and dogwalker on your phone and then randomly yell out loud "MY DOG JUST POOPED!"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Never saw that one until now. Yes, annoying. But after all, they are competing with Wags dog walking service where you can track your dog and dogwalker on your phone and then randomly yell out loud "MY DOG JUST POOPED!"

Yea fair point. Both of them are that way, aren't they?

• Love 3
On 2/10/2018 at 2:47 PM, KLovestoShop said:

My favorite DD was the chocolate cream filled covered in powered sugar——they no longer make them.

Mine too. :( :( :( 

14 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Because real men don't shave their pubic hair so they look like little boys.?

Eh, mine does --the first half of the sentence, I mean; I have not noticed a resemblance to a little boy, however (but his six-foot height and beard probably help in that regard, haha!). Trims down his pits too. People don't shave to look like kids (well, some do, yes--let's not think about them!); we do it because we don't like excess hair.

I don't really care one way or the other about bush commercial, though I was a bit taken aback when I first saw it. Part of me  (guess what part, hahahhahaha! Oh, terrible!) actually appreciated the acknowledgement that some of us are not interested in using a regular razor or getting waxed in that region. Whether that flimsy-ass-lookin' thing works for more than two or three shaves--much less does it even remotely smoothly!--I'm skeptical.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

That freakin' Hadree's commercial with the country twang, America is great, lets eat some beef theme......my God, so bad. 

I thought it was just me, but then my wife saw it one time last night and before I said anything, she said "Oh my god, this goes on forever!"

On 4/21/2018 at 1:35 PM, bilgistic said:

There are no commercials for men's pube razors.

The equivalent products for men are multipurpose, so the ads often don't mention any specifics. When they do, it tends to be beard and mustache, aiming at the largest perceived need.

• Love 6
On 4/21/2018 at 12:35 PM, bilgistic said:

There are no commercials for men's pube razors.

Actually, there is. Phillips Norelco runs a commercial where a guy is contemplating using the Oneblade razor on his junk. I can’t find it on YouTube, though. 

4 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Actually, there is. Phillips Norelco runs a commercial where a guy is contemplating using the Oneblade razor on his junk. I can’t find it on YouTube, though. 

Maybe Phillips Norelco realized that guys who want to shave their junk don't shave it....  they use Veet. And THAT my friends, is info straight from my gay friends mouth! LOL. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Maybe Phillips Norelco realized that guys who want to shave their junk don't shave it....  they use Veet. And THAT my friends, is info straight from my gay friends mouth! LOL.

The product in the ad for women is presented as more of a topiary tool than a trimmer or mower. The woman uses it to give her bush a classic heart shape. 

19 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

The product in the ad for women is presented as more of a topiary tool than a trimmer or mower. The woman uses it to give her bush a classic heart shape. 

I'm going try shaving my "bush" in the shape of $Dollar$$Signs$$. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 2
On 4/9/2018 at 2:09 PM, Barb1959 said:

Has anyone else seen the Jimmy Dean commercial with him doing the talking?  I mean that guy died in 2010.  He has such a distinct voice....it strikes me as so creepy!  Hey...maybe it's just me!

That's the first thing I thought when I saw that ad - isn't he dead?

• Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:58 PM, Browncoat said:

I hate Twizzlers, so having one poking me in the face would just make me stabby.

HAHAHA ME TOO! like eating plastic 

• Love 10

In a recent Progressive ad Flo visits her sister Janice's new house and gets ignored. First time I watched it I felt bad for Flo. After numerous views I understood why her sister was rude-  I bet any time Flo stops by she wants to talk insurance. " Janice! Look! Janice! "

• Love 13