Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Magoo said:

If there is a women's shelter nearby, you might try them.  The one I've worked with LOVES to get books, DVDs, etc.  

I ended up taking them to the used book store, which was only interested in about a third of them (still got me $50, though, which was more than I was expecting), but they recommended a local charity which took the rest. It worked out well since the book store largely wanted the more obscure titles and a lot of the stuff Mr. Jyn had relating to the military and from when he was doing research on his degrees in history/diplomacy and such...so there were a lot of good contemporary novels left for the charity. I guess the book store gets way more of those than they need! Thanks for all the suggestions, though!

• Love 9
On 9/15/2017 at 5:47 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Here's his library. No room for my books....they are relegated to a couple of bookcases in the bedrooms.

I am so so SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous!! I would love to have a wee library.

Don't even want to think about me losing some books - I've often pondered what stuff I would grab first in a fire and some of my books were very high on that list.

• Love 3
On 9/21/2017 at 0:21 AM, MunichNark said:

Don't even want to think about me losing some books - I've often pondered what stuff I would grab first in a fire and some of my books were very high on that list.

you would be surprised at what you DON'T grab in the case of a fire. in our recent evacuation, i forgot totally about my jewelry and grand-kids pictures but did manage to grab my computer and external hard drives of other photos and my genealogy notebook (100% irreplaceable).  as much as i love books and my  Bible, i didn't even grab any!

• Love 6
On 9/17/2017 at 7:47 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

YES!! This summarizes what I was going for much better than my post of a couple of days ago! I mean, I hope I'm wrong, and I do sense that he enjoys reading to a far greater extent than the typical Duggar, but at the same time I kind of see an acquisitiveness that overwhelms the actual love of the written word...

Funny you mentioned acquiring and I found this on Jer's twitter from yesterday - book on sale for $5 and he bought 20 copies, so he spent $100 on multiple copies of a single book.  No mention at all why - to have extra's on hand, to give to his "flock", to hand out on street corners.  One person replied he should sign some and do a fund raiser for the hurricanes but he never replied.  

If a person has the money they can spend it as they like - does make me wonder though, where does his money come from, not his ministry it has to be the show.  But I think it's a little weird to tweet and brag that you bought 20 copies of a book because it's "good" but not say why so many copies in the first place.

Capture.JPG

• Love 6
1 hour ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Funny you mentioned acquiring and I found this on Jer's twitter from yesterday - book on sale for $5 and he bought 20 copies, so he spent $100 on multiple copies of a single book.  No mention at all why - to have extra's on hand, to give to his "flock", to hand out on street corners.  One person replied he should sign some and do a fund raiser for the hurricanes but he never replied.  

If a person has the money they can spend it as they like - does make me wonder though, where does his money come from, not his ministry it has to be the show.  But I think it's a little weird to tweet and brag that you bought 20 copies of a book because it's "good" but not say why so many copies in the first place.

Capture.JPG

This is another big-name predestinationist that I'm sure Jer wants to impress. And what better way to impress a guy than to buy 20 copies of his book! (...would be more impressive if you bought it full price and not from the remaindered  table. Still ....20 books is 20 books. And Jer's doing his best to use his reality-tv followership to get the man some positive publicity here. .... So, you got a job for a young preacher, Mr. Lawson?). 

........Or maybe he does think that books are for hugging rather than reading. And it's a lot easier to hug a stack of 20 books than to hug just one, right? 

Fun fact: Lawson works at Ligonier ministries and bible college, founded by RC Sproul. And Sproul's son -- RC Jr. -- was briefly suspended from the joint because he visited the Ashley Madison website! Hey, it's all in the family! His explanation: "weakness, pain, and ... an unhealthy curiosity." (To his credit, he was a widower at the time...)

http://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2015/august/ligonier-suspends-rc-sproul-jr-over-ashley-madison.html

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Fun fact: Lawson works at Ligonier ministries and bible college, founded by RC Sproul. And Sproul's son -- RC Jr. -- was briefly suspended from the joint because he visited the Ashley Madison website! Hey, it's all in the family! His explanation: "weakness, pain, and ... an unhealthy curiosity." (To his credit, he was a widower at the time...)

http://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2015/august/ligonier-suspends-rc-sproul-jr-over-ashley-madison.html

Oops, maybe a little google research on Jer's part would have avoided this.

• Love 1

I have friends who would buy many, many copies of a favorite book by a favorite author. But then they would tell everyone why they loved it and give them away so people will enjoy them and possibly buy more books by the author. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Temperance said:

I have friends who would buy many, many copies of a favorite book by a favorite author. But then they would tell everyone why they loved it and give them away so people will enjoy them and possibly buy more books by the author. 

What kind of books were they?   Were they secular books like a fun travel book  or did they push a religious/polictial  agenda?

Edited by ariel
1 hour ago, ariel said:

What kind of books were they?   Were they secular books like a fun travel book  or did they push a religious/polictial  agenda?

My mother bought copies of Bill O'Reilly's book for kids for all her grandchildren one year. I'm pretty sure none of my kids even opened it before tossing it in the Goodwill box.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Funny you mentioned acquiring and I found this on Jer's twitter from yesterday - book on sale for $5 and he bought 20 copies, so he spent $100 on multiple copies of a single book.  No mention at all why 

He plans to read it 20 times. Obviously. 

Edited by Genevrier
  • Love 20
11 hours ago, Catfin said:

Did any of the couples have a prenup or is all the $$$ hidden in JB's trust? 

That's a good question.  Since most of the Duggars seem to marry simpletons from large families with very little money, do the Duggs do prenups?

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, ariel said:

That's a good question.  Since most of the Duggars seem to marry simpletons from large families with very little money, do the Duggs do prenups?

Since divorce isn't allowed under circumstances, would a prenup even cross the Duggars' minds? Wouldn't a prenup be an indication that the marriage won't last?

I would bet Jim Bob gets a ironclad prenup for the kids anyway. Which probably includes some nondisclosure clauses that if broken invalidate all other terms of the prenup.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Triple P said:

Since most of the Duggars seem to marry simpletons from large families with very little money, do the Duggs do prenups?

I'm not sure I'd lump Jeremy in with Ben and Derrick as a simpleton.  I have a feeling that Jeremy can be very shrewd when it comes to money or anything else to his advantage.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Triple P said:

Since divorce isn't allowed under circumstances, would a prenup even cross the Duggars' minds? Wouldn't a prenup be an indication that the marriage won't last?

I would bet Jim Bob gets a ironclad prenup for the kids anyway. Which probably includes some nondisclosure clauses that if broken invalidate all other terms of the prenup.

I don't think JB would be against a prenup, but I doubt he lets any of the kids own anything. I'm sure it's all in a trust and he doles out a stipend for groceries and personal effects. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

I'm not sure I'd lump Jeremy in with Ben and Derrick as a simpleton.  I have a feeling that Jeremy can be very shrewd when it comes to money or anything else to his advantage.

And with this family, he needs to be. 

• Love 6
On 9/24/2017 at 10:13 AM, Catfin said:

Did any of the couples have a prenup or is all the $$$ hidden in JB's trust? 

I agree with ariel -- that's a good question. On the one hand, God speaks directly to JB and JB picks the spouses, but on the other hand, JB doesn't trust his own children to go to the toilet alone -- ever. So I would vote for pre-nups.

• Love 4

I wonder if he includes provisions like the Royal family, where the children must be raised in the religion of the family, and should the parties separate, the custodial parent is the Duggar, not whoever married in.

• Love 1

Boob has the money, not the kidults. He probably gave them a stipend once they turned 18, but not that much. After Counting On began, the kidults may have been able to negotitate their own contracts. I think all that changed with Counting On. After all, this is a show about the next generation with almost no appearances from Boobchelle (for which we are thankful). I doubt even Boob can negotitate the TLC contracts for the marrieds or even the of-age kidults who appear on the show (not that JD is making that much for a quip here or there). 

Yes, some were married on the old show, and Boob got his cut, but the earnings of the girls (via People, etc) can't go into a trust named for their parents. Not if they're legal adults. However, we don't know how the 19 Kids pie was divided, but it seems as if Smuggar was paid independently given how he was "thanked" at the end of the episodes after he got married. 

If ANYTHING, Boob set up trusts for the marrieds to protect their income, but there wasn't really that much to put into them; it's not like they made millions, or even hundreds of thousands once the pie was divided (in Boob's favor). Even Smuggar had his own income on top of 19 Kids for a while there, and that's joint income. Note that his house went directly into a trust. Can we look to see if the Seewalds now have a trust since they "bought" the house from Mary in June?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Boob has the money, not the kidults. He probably gave them a stipend once they turned 18, but not that much

I've always wondered how they were all paid? The old show was all Jimboobs money, I'm sure.  But, with Counting On he shouldn't be entitled to any of it. But, I'm guessing he still sees some of it.

• Love 3

I know nothing about contracts or the entertainment business, but I've always felt Boob has finagled things to where all money goes to him or whatever trust he has set up, and he doles out allowances to all the marrieds. I have no proof to back it up, it's just that I know someone who's very wealthy with a similar control-freak mindset and that's how he operates. 

• Love 8

I'm guessing Counting On changed things up financially for the adult children, until then they were on a show they grew up on.

I wonder if Jeremy, or his parents, are behind the house buying. It is a sound financial decision and until he came along only male Duggar Josh had purchased one. 

I'm thinking that the income from Counting On has to at least put the married couples in upper middle class. Jing & Jer do a lot of non-show related travel which I don't think his church plant ministering salary could finance.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, kalamac said:

I wonder if he includes provisions like the Royal family, where the children must be raised in the religion of the family, and should the parties separate, the custodial parent is the Duggar, not whoever married in.

Well, this would explain why Anna never took the kids and ran away from Joshley. And never will.

Oops, this is Jinge and Babe's topic.....saw a few minutes of last night's show...did she survive a day or two without Baaaaaabe? That looked like it was going to be a hardship. ((Any Dirty Dancing fans here?))

• Love 3
7 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I've always wondered how they were all paid? The old show was all Jimboobs money, I'm sure.  But, with Counting On he shouldn't be entitled to any of it. But, I'm guessing he still sees some of it.

When you turn 18 you're an adult and you have to sign your own contracts whether or not they turn the money over to him is anybody's guess.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I know nothing about contracts or the entertainment business, but I've always felt Boob has finagled things to where all money goes to him or whatever trust he has set up, and he doles out allowances to all the marrieds

I think you're right, but would Jeremy agree to that ?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

He and Jinger might be the exception, however the Smuggars, Benessa, the Dullards and JoKen are firmly planted at Bob's teat.

Counting On started as a spin off for Jill and Jessa. Do Jinger and Joy get paid as much? And do the others that are only briefly on get paid at all?

If I were Jeremy, I wouldn't let Boob touch Jingers money or contract, but who knows.

• Love 4
On 9/15/2017 at 0:18 AM, Sew Sumi said:

I was a bloody ENGLISH major, but I was never pictured hugging my beloved books. Jeremy seems to be collecting hardbacks to make his study look like a law library. 

Another English major here, and while I have never taken a picture of myself hugging my books, I do occasionally post a photo on FB of the stacks of books I pick up at the library, knowing I am never going to get them read in the allotted time.  But I sure do love to try.  Agree that Babe seems to be very focused on making sure he comes across as an intellectual in many of his photos.  Perhaps it's a not-so-subtle jab at JB and Michelle's home-schoolin' type of book-learnin'?

On 9/15/2017 at 7:25 PM, DangerousMinds said:

Jeremy, you need a real religious education. Jinger, start reading some books of your own.

Impatiently waiting for Babe to post a carefully posed photo of Jinge thoughtfully sipping a latte and reading Pride and Prejudice.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

When you turn 18 you're an adult and you have to sign your own contracts whether or not they turn the money over to him is anybody's guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boob hasn't designated himself as their business manager or somesuch and isn't doing all the negotiating on their behalf and taking a cut for himself off the top.  Since the girls are the real draw for Counting On, and they've been raised under Boob's thumb, it's not too hard to imagine them turning all business responsibilities over to him, no matter what their respective husbands might want.  For that matter, I think Jeremy is the only one of the husbands with enough on the ball to even consider questioning it if Boob is running the show.

• Love 16

Gut feelings are not facts, but mine says no way Jeremy would go for that. Even as a minor league player he is used to negotiations. Of all the SILs Jeremy is the only one with real adulting experience. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 14
31 minutes ago, SMama said:

Gut feelings are not facts, but mine says no way Jeremy would go for that. Even as a minor league player he is used to negotiations. Of all the SILs Jeremy is the only one with real adulting experience. 

Agreed, Even if Jeremy is out of sports, he most certainly has contacts with sports managers, and I am sure he's either using whoever he knew from his soccer days or using an entertainment-specific manager recommended by his sports guy. There's a huge cottage industry around advising athletes, even minor-ish sports like soccer, and there's no way he doesn't have people he trusts waaaay more than Jim Bob.

This, by the way, is also why I think they were able to buy a house in Laredo, etc, because Jeremy (and Jinger) are in control of their money. 

• Love 10

Oh and how it must chap Boob’s hide that Jeremy does not need his wise counsel crap advice. Donkey Face, karma is a godly bitch. Think about that before you decide to humiliate another prospective SIL on National TV.

• Love 12
58 minutes ago, SMama said:

Oh and how it must chap Boob’s hide that Jeremy does not need his wise counsel crap advice

I would have loved to be in the room when Jeremy told Boob that he would be taking over Jingers finances..!Well, I hope it happened that way.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Anyone know what the rumors about Jeremy  and Jinger wanting to move overseas are all about?

They bought a house in Laredo. I don't foresee them going anywhere for a good long while. 

• Love 2

I think Baaaabe is the only son-in-law that was as close to a fully-formed adult when he married Jing.  And I don't think for a minute that Jim Bob has any control over their finances, show contracts or anything else they do.  

I also think all their travels, public appearances and social media concentration is deliberately part of a larger plan that doesn't include subsidizing other Duggers or having Jinger join in the large-scale production of God's army. 

I recently heard the term "Entrepreneurial Ministry".  Give it a Google.  I think that's where Baaaabe is headed. 

• Love 16

I think it's a sweet picture. I'm wondering how badly Jessa wishes she could ditch the Mold House and move her family to Laredo. She and Bin seem to prefer Jeremy and Jinger's company. You never see them socializing with the JoKens, Smuggars, Dullards or Joystins unless it's for show purposes.

• Love 8