Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Town's Inn Part 2

1 minute ago, Tabasco Cat said:

What is this Magic Box That Spits Out Numbers that measure "cleanliness" that Ramsey is using? What makes 800 a bad number and 30 a good number? What does is it measure exactly?

Ho-leeee crap. I'm speechless. 

It's 803, though! EIGHT HUNDRED AND THREE! 

Wait. 803 of what? 

• Love 3

Karan has "accidents"...I'm sorry....explosive diarrhea...in the guest bathrooms?!? That her cleaning staff (barely) cleans up?!? Did I hear this correctly? Oy vey...

803 may refer to the amount of times the owners have defecated on the bathroom mats? ?

• Love 8

Karan's son seemed like he didn't care about his mother at all; surely he knew she was living in a closet and sleeping on a slab of wood. Karan's affect was really strange, she agreed and smiled with everything Gordon said, but it didn't seem like she understood anything. She almost seemed drugged or something. When Gordon showed her the house she showed zero curiosity, and it was almost like she just accepted anything that came along.

I almost felt sorry for her when the staff was commenting about her bathroom accident. Why would the entire staff know about this and who doesn't have a mess like that completely cleaned up? It looked like one of those cheap outdoor welcome mats in the bathroom-throw the damn thing out!

We didn't see much of creepy Sarah after the remodel and I wondered what she thought. I wonder if the place will stay successful, there seemed to be such a disconnect between Karan and her son and Karan and reality. 

• Love 7

I think Gordon said he was testing the bacteria levels with the monitor thingy.  I heard  him say 30 and under is acceptable, over 30 is dangerous.  But I'm unclear on how what  "30" vs. "803" means.  Is it particles per thousand?  However, if the machine's calibrations tell me that I need to be concerned if I see anything higher than 30 and a Triple Digit Number rolls up, there would be a BusyOctober shaped hole punched through one of Sarah's Brillo stuffed mural walls!  On the other hand I wouldn't need a device to tell me to get the hell out of a place like that.  The clutter and the obvious stench would have me running back to my car within minutes.  

There is something very very wrong with this woman.  She has serious mental health (& apparently gastrointestinal) issues in my non-medical degree having opinion. And her son is no prize either.  He allowed his mother to live in squalor and to run the business into the ground.  He is damn lucky he hasn't been sued by a guest for food poisoning or some nasty infection.   So, while it was good TV to show Karan getting a clean house and a (very minimal) makeover, there is NO WAY that woman changed her hoarding and hygiene habits in 3 days because of a blowout. She needs therapy. I hope whoever rented the temporary housing got a HUGE damage deposit.  I bet Karan hauled in her bat-shit crazy basket collection as soon as production pulled out of town.

• Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

What is this Magic Box That Spits Out Numbers that measure "cleanliness" that Ramsey is using? What makes 800 a bad number and 30 a good number? What does is it measure exactly?

I started cracking up when Gordon brought that out. 

It's this season's UV light stick. Lol.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

Sadly, next week we will see Ramsey heal the dysfunctional relationships, fix the Inn and everyone will live happily after, at least until the cameras stop rolling.

I would like to pat myself on the back for my psychic abilities. By the way Gordon, "outside" Washington DC is true, fifty miles outside; for that matter Singapore is outside DC.. How ignorant do you think we are? Silly question.

(edited)

I was amazed at the startling changes a simple blow-dry can have on a person!

Before she seemed fairly stupid, senile and helpless.  Afterwards, her voice got stronger, she appeared to 'get it', and seemed like a normal senior citizen. Why...it's almost like she was acting before the blow-dry!  But that could never happen because this is a reality show and acting isn't real.

Did they show 1 renovated bedroom or 2?  Because it looked like there were 3 beds in there.  

I liked the little store, and the menu written on butcher's paper.  I assume they got rid of the 3 freezers, 2 fridges and whatever else was out in the alley.  Wondering where they're going to store all their day-to-day stuff that needs refrigeration.

And I hope they kept one microwave.  Sometimes they come in handy.

Edited by Albino
  • Love 5

Ok, the strangest moment for me was when Ramsey goes into the owner's room.  He asks her where she sleeps, and she says "right here, like this".  And she lies down on her side, folds up her legs,  puts folded hands under her cheek to show him HOW she sleeps.   It was exactly what a 3 year old girl would do.  how strange. 

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, Albino said:

I was amazed at the startling changes a simple blow-dry can have on a person!

I bet she was washing her hair with soap before.    She got a nice haircut, and a shampoo and conditioning treatment.  I hope she got some products to use on her hair, so the improvement lasts a while. I agree that her demeanor changed with the makeover. 

What I don't understand is -  Ramsey paid for her to stay in that other house for two months.   He turned her office/bedroom at the inn into a store.   So - after two months, where does she go?  Is her son going to pay for her to stay in the other house?  or will she go right back to sleeping in the same place, cluttering up that little store?   Hoarders don't get better by having someone else fix the place up for them.  I think she will be dragging junk back into the Inn before too long.

• Love 4

This is bizarre!  I have never seen a Ramsey show that is more phony.  Why did he accept that blond (Sarah?) person as an employee and not tell her to bugger off?  I am beginning to think that the son hired Sarah to look after his mother.  Why would a son allow all this to happen and not step in?  I can't believe that any of these changes would make a difference to a woman who is obviously so out of touch.  Something stinks and we are being taken as fools for watching it.

• Love 3

I would be very curious to see the home her son was raised in. He seems very disconnected from his mom. I would bet that he grew up in a hoarder's house and it was beyond repair. I would also guess that whenever he tried to turn to her or confide in her, she ignored him and persisted in her version of things. She's right and everyone else is wrong. So he stopped bothering long ago. I get it and I get why he would do this. It comes off as being uncaring but you can only expend so much energy on someone. Especially someone who clearly does not want your help.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, dwarmed said:

Worst personal makeover ever. Shapeless clothes and limp hair? That couldn't possibly have been the work of professionals. Gordon, stick to your day job.

I agree! I was expecting her to not look like a broom riding witch anymore but nope. I really couldn't see any change. The clothes were still dark and frumpy.

I saw this on Yelp dated 6-14-16:

"That place is beautiful from outside 
Inside was infested with mice. The owner is 2 cans short of a 6 pack . She needs help .. Health dept need to close the place down."

• Love 5
(edited)

I have no idea what went on behind the scenes (c'mon HH production crew - spill!), but at the end of the ep I was most impressed by what a good hair conditioner can do.

I actually have a dotty-old-aunt fondness for Karan.  She's never seemed mean-spirited, just out there on Planet Karan.  Sarah remains creepy though.

The Inn's website refers to a new chef Christian. Wonder if Jeff's still onboard. (The website is quite nice, BTW.)

Edited by spiderpig
3 hours ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

Karan has "accidents"...I'm sorry....explosive diarrhea...in the guest bathrooms?!?

a little bit TMI there..

Im shocked that they didnt just take the wrecking ball to that place..glad i wasnt eating dinner when they showed the mess in that so-called kitchen

On the bright side i thought it was nice of Gordon to pay the rent for that house she now lives in..

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

6 hours ago, MelissaMinion said:

Ho-leeee crap. I'm speechless. 

It's 803, though! EIGHT HUNDRED AND THREE! 

Wait. 803 of what? 

3 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I think Gordon said he was testing the bacteria levels with the monitor thingy.  I heard  him say 30 and under is acceptable, over 30 is dangerous.  But I'm unclear on how what  "30" vs. "803" means.  Is it particles per thousand?  However, if the machine's calibrations tell me that I need to be concerned if I see anything higher than 30 and a Triple Digit Number rolls up, there would be a BusyOctober shaped hole punched through one of Sarah's Brillo stuffed mural walls!  On the other hand I wouldn't need a device to tell me to get the hell out of a place like that.  The clutter and the obvious stench would have me running back to my car within minutes.  

I'm pretty sure it measures "particles per million". That's basically the industry standard, as far as I know.

• Love 1

I think surface bacteria count is measured in bacteria per square centimeter. 

I'm increasingly leaning to the idea that the son put his mother in this situation because unlike assisted living, he can write off the money he spends on caregivers and room and board as a business loss and still have something to sell at the end.   

6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Inside was infested with mice.

Yeah, I figured the brill-o was there for a reason. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, dwarmed said:

Worst personal makeover ever. Shapeless clothes and limp hair? That couldn't possibly have been the work of professionals. Gordon, stick to your day job.

I rather suspect that that's all that Karan would allow the stylist to do.  Certainly if she'd been all tarted up with a swoopy 'do, makeup, and a flowered dress, that would have made her uncomfortable, and for sure she wouldn't maintain it. 

Personally, I think she's clinically depressed.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, outtahere said:

This is bizarre!  I have never seen a Ramsey show that is more phony.  Why did he accept that blond (Sarah?) person as an employee and not tell her to bugger off?  I am beginning to think that the son hired Sarah to look after his mother.  Why would a son allow all this to happen and not step in? 

If he hired Sarah to look after his mother that's yet another bad business decision on his part.  She's as loopy and responsible as Karan.

2 hours ago, Julia said:

I'm increasingly leaning to the idea that the son put his mother in this situation because unlike assisted living, he can write off the money he spends on caregivers and room and board as a business loss and still have something to sell at the end.   

Could be, I think his mother has been out there for a long time and he just needed a way to cope with her out of the way.  But he seemed almost as detached as she was.

• Love 4

I felt really bad for Karan.  She obviously has some problems (maybe some dementia), but she was very nice and polite, and she seemed to be TRYING to follow what was going on.  I don't think Gordon's changes will do much good, because the 'educating the owner" part of this episode(s) fell on deaf ears.  Karan needs some professional help, and shouldn't be running a business.  

Her son sure didn't seem too concerned about his mom's living arrangements, or business acumen.  In fact, when he and Gordon were talking in that park, it looked like he was smirking for part of the time.  I'm surprised Gordon didn't smack him upside his head!

Where did Gordon's crew move the outside freezers and refrigerators?  Are they at least indoors now?

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Court said:

How is the 16 year old the smartest person there?

Sadly it felt as if he should have been running the place. I got the feeling her son really could care less too. He looked like he was sweating bullets when they were all 3 together. If one cared about their mother and was concerned for not just her but that business than he would have been there at least once a week or more to make sure it was ok. How could he not have known how she was sleeping for a year or so? He seemed like he just didn't give a crap about her at all. While yes we might not know if they have issues with each other or anything else but at the very least, if you are going to buy a place like this and have it as a business you would think he would make sure it was doing ok and not falling apart as it was. 

Here is my take on Karen's sort of change when she got the makeover. When Gordon took her to the house and then told her he was paying her rent for a couple months, her face was in shock and started to light up a little. Then when he told her he was having her go get her hair and nails done, it lite up. I think she felt like someone cared again about her. I have a feeling her son just doesn't give a crap and she knows it. So she has just been checked out and depressed. The son bought the place to shove her somewhere and not have to deal with her and she probably knew it. I have to wonder if she tried to call him in the beginning when she needed help or things needed repairing and he would say he was to busy to deal with it or told her its for her to handle on her own. Which would explain certain things if that was the case as well. 

That Sarah lady should go though and Gordon should have said so from the get go because she had no business being there since she wasn't an employee. It felt as though she was making sure to take advantage of Karen's problems/issues. Even seeing her the little bit last night bugged me that she was allowed to be around with the real employees of the place. I doubt her son hired her to be a caretaker to his mom. He doesn't seem like he would care enough to do that or much of anything for his mother. Plus on top of it the lady seems like she has some issues herself as well.

Sad that it seems the place hasn't kept up if they have a rodent infestation going on. Someone should have been hired to run the joint (the teen?? LOL) so this didn't happen and it could have been a nice place. 

• Love 7

I'm real surprised Ramsey didn't just tell Karan to pack it all up and sell the business.  Karan looked like she was in another world when Ramsey tried so hard to tell her that things are not right in her inn.  Finally, the son gets involved and Karan finally listens.  Her son should've been around a lot more to help out his mother at the hotel.  He must've been shamed by Ramsey to finally get involved.  First time Ramsey had his client get a makeover as well as giving the hotel/restaurant a makeover too.  Yeah, Karan looked a little better with her hair cut and straightened and wearing new clothes (still looking frumpy to me) but she still doesn't look like an owner of a hotel.  I am really hoping that things work out for Karan and her staff and that Karan won't revert to her old ways.  I'm thinking that her son getting involved will really help.  Heck, this is his investment, he won't let it fail.

I was pretty disturbed by this 2 part episodes.  The filthiness of this hotel make me itch!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Puffaroo said:

I rather suspect that that's all that Karan would allow the stylist to do.  Certainly if she'd been all tarted up with a swoopy 'do, makeup, and a flowered dress, that would have made her uncomfortable, and for sure she wouldn't maintain it. 

Personally, I think she's clinically depressed.

I agree. She said she lives an Amish Mennonite lifestyle.

• Love 1

Based on an article I read, I don't think she ever had any desire to change. She said Ramsay was no help. That anything he said she knew "10 times over." 

Again, with someone like that, I cannot blame the son being detached. She does what she wants and isn't going to listen. 

• Love 6

I have a tough time blaming the son as well without knowing more information.  I can imagine Karan is exhausting to deal with - she seems to just float through things without any real reaction or emotion.  I don't know what her state was when her son bought the place, I don't know how much she deteriorated over that time, I don't know what her situation was before he bought the place (did she live with him and his family?  Have a place of her own?). He seemed pretty detached and emotionless himself, but that may be a reaction to having dealt with her for many years.  Buying the place and letting his mom be innkeeper may have seemed like a good idea at the time, an opportunity to get her more engaged with the world around her.  Or it may have been a way (as someone suggested above) to stash her out of the way and use the losses the inn must be amassing as a tax write-off.

• Love 6

The store Ramsey was able to create out of Karan's old bedroom/office was the best part of the makeover. The dining room was nice too. 

I wish they would have shown more of the kitchen. Did Gordon teach them how to cook the items on the new menu? And what of all the fridges and freezers?

I was side-eyeing the chef that was getting theatrically upset and throwing things everywhere. Part of me believes he was frustrated because he has to deal with and work with Karan and Sharon. But on the other hand, what is keeping him (or the other chef) from cleaning the stove more often?  Does he need her permission or extra help to do that when the majority of his job consisted of boiling hamburgers and re-heating store bought food? And what was up with the woman chef? She was silent and basically had no reaction to anything. I think two people who call themselves chef share some fault in the mess that was that kitchen and the non-food it churned out. 

If body language was anything to go by the son really didn't want to have much of anything to do with his mom. Even though his head was faced to her while talking the rest of his body was completely twisted away with his legs crossed towards Gordon. He must have some wealth if his idea to get her out of his hair is to buy her a small inn to keep her busy which probably barely makes enough money to sustain itself if that.

I felt sorry for the poor guy who is storing a dozen garbage bags full of Karan's colorless drab clothing in his basement. 

Although I though Karan's hair was marginally better post make over, her clothing looked worse to me because she looked lumpier than before for some reason. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, gazebo said:

I'm thinking that her son getting involved will really help.  Heck, this is his investment, he won't let it fail.

I doubt he will be involved. If he thought of this as a true investment and didn't want it to fail then where the heck has he been all this time? He came off that he could care less. Otherwise someone that gave even the littlest care to just the business investment along would have showed up to make sure its running ok and looking ok. That is even if he doesn't care for his mother..those are things someone that cares about an investment of that kind would do. If he wanted her out of his hair he should have just bought her a small home to live in...not a business. The problem is that neither one knew how to run such a thing and still has no clue. 

• Love 3

I found the second part of this remarkably unsatisfying. Karan never seemed to engage with anything; Gordon let Sarah still wander around and skulk in the corners, we did not get any resolution to the 17 fridges and freezers outside situation... And this is mean, but I thought her frizzy hair was better for balancing her marionette-like features. That schnozz just stood out more with the blown out hair, IMHO. For a two-part episode, you'd think they could have created more of an arc for the narrative.

• Love 3

I think there was a lot more going on that Gordon and his producers ever suspected.  Ialso think that Susan and Karan have a relationship that they do not want made public as there is no other reason to not chase Susan out of the Inn.  

Hopefully the producers connected Karan with mental health professionals. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Jersey Guy 87 said:

I have a tough time blaming the son as well without knowing more information.  I can imagine Karan is exhausting to deal with - she seems to just float through things without any real reaction or emotion.  I don't know what her state was when her son bought the place, I don't know how much she deteriorated over that time, I don't know what her situation was before he bought the place (did she live with him and his family?  Have a place of her own?). He seemed pretty detached and emotionless himself, but that may be a reaction to having dealt with her for many years.  Buying the place and letting his mom be innkeeper may have seemed like a good idea at the time, an opportunity to get her more engaged with the world around her.  Or it may have been a way (as someone suggested above) to stash her out of the way and use the losses the inn must be amassing as a tax write-off.

My Mother-in-law was a hoarder and dealing with a hardcore hoarder can be one of the toughest things ever. She refused to throw anything away, ever. The hubby and I had to move in with her when her health started to deteriorate and trying to clean anything was a battle, throwing anything away was nearly impossible as she would go through the garbage when nobody was around and bring the stuff back into the house. She kept her bedroom locked at all times and it wasn't until we had to break the door down one day when we heard her calling for help that we discovered how bad it really was, there was a path barely a foot wide from the door to the bed and the rest of the room was nothing but piles and boxes full of junk and paperwork dating back to the early 1940's.

After awhile it can definitely mess with a sane person when you do everything you can to help someone like that and they fight you tooth and nail. We had to force her to move into another (clean empty) room and the only reason we were able to was because she was in a wheelchair after we broke the door down (she had a stroke). She passed away soon after that, and we discovered, as we were finally able to really clean the house, that she had cash hidden all over the place, so we had to go through every single piece of paperwork in every box and bag and pile so we didn't end up literally throwing money away.

Karan reminded me so much of my MIL it was hard to watch, and I did feel bad for her son thinking he probably lived his whole life that way and had no choice but to close off a part of himself. Extreme hoarders can seem like the sweetest people to outsiders but those closest to them can be victims of verbal abuse at the very least.

I also agree with seacliffsal that Karan and Susan may be in a relationship, either that or Susan is just taking advantage of a friend who isn't quite all there and in her (Susan's) mind she's one of the owners.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Court said:

I agree. She said she lives an Amish Mennonite lifestyle.

This was the prior post: "I rather suspect that that's all that Karan would allow the stylist to do.  Certainly if she'd been all tarted up with a swoopy 'do, makeup, and a flowered dress, that would have made her uncomfortable, and for sure she wouldn't maintain it. 

Personally, I think she's clinically depressed."

Re Karen being depressed because she says she lives an Amish Mennonite lifestyle - We have the largest settlement of Amish west of the MIssissippi near me. Also there are enough Mennonites for a rather large Mennonite school. These communities have their own issues, but choosing to live a minimalist lifestyle does not make one depressed or otherwise mentally ill. I'm sure no one meant that to be slur against people in these groups, and perhaps she was just making a statement about her clothes rather than her religion, but I just wanted to point out that there are people who dress plainly (I also know a few Quakers who dress plainly) and they're OK. : )  There are also people who chose not to get their hair done, wear makeup, or spend a lot of time on their clothes. They're OK, too.

That said, Karen sure had a lot of clothes for a person trying to be a minimalist. I do think she's something of a hoarder and that she would be helped by some therapy and some attention from her son. 

I didn't see a kitchen rehab. That poor cook deserved a  new stove or something. It sounded like all they did was remove the microwaves and move the freezers inside (what the heck was that about?).

Re Harper's Ferry & DC - I'm from DC. I don't think people would be driving there and back for a nice dinner, but it is close enough for a weekend getaway and I worked with guys who took the train from Harper's Ferry into the Maryland suburbs everyday, so it's not so far. 

• Love 3

That was the grossest hotel ever.  The staff saying she had an accident......she must have walked all over with it on her shoes. [shudders].  I went over and read the reviews on the hotel, you could spend a whole day looking at them.  I was surprised to see it was 50/50 good/horrible.  These were recent ones.  Apparently Sarah goes about town and lures people in to the Inn.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, aliya said:

This was the prior post: "I rather suspect that that's all that Karan would allow the stylist to do.  Certainly if she'd been all tarted up with a swoopy 'do, makeup, and a flowered dress, that would have made her uncomfortable, and for sure she wouldn't maintain it. 

Personally, I think she's clinically depressed."

Re Karen being depressed because she says she lives an Amish Mennonite lifestyle - We have the largest settlement of Amish west of the MIssissippi near me. Also there are enough Mennonites for a rather large Mennonite school. These communities have their own issues, but choosing to live a minimalist lifestyle does not make one depressed or otherwise mentally ill. I'm sure no one meant that to be slur against people in these groups, and perhaps she was just making a statement about her clothes rather than her religion, but I just wanted to point out that there are people who dress plainly (I also know a few Quakers who dress plainly) and they're OK. : )  There are also people who chose not to get their hair done, wear makeup, or spend a lot of time on their clothes. They're OK, too.

That said, Karen sure had a lot of clothes for a person trying to be a minimalist. I do think she's something of a hoarder and that she would be helped by some therapy and some attention from her son. 

I didn't see a kitchen rehab. That poor cook deserved a  new stove or something. It sounded like all they did was remove the microwaves and move the freezers inside (what the heck was that about?).

Re Harper's Ferry & DC - I'm from DC. I don't think people would be driving there and back for a nice dinner, but it is close enough for a weekend getaway and I worked with guys who took the train from Harper's Ferry into the Maryland suburbs everyday, so it's not so far. 

Sorry, that was not my intention at all!  I was agreeing with the part about that's all Karan would allow the stylist to do.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Court said:

Sorry, that was not my intention at all!  I was agreeing with the part about that's all Karan would allow the stylist to do.

I was pretty sure it wasn't : ) , but I wanted to put that out there because different doesn't always equal mental illness and some people have to be reminded.  On the other hand, sometimes it does, as Gordon's innkeepers and restaurateurs so often show us. : )

• Love 1
6 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Apparently Sarah goes about town and lures people in to the Inn.

Sounds like this could be the plot to one of those"mysterious hotel/inn run by crazed murderer(s)" horror films..

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TDT said:

Sounds like this could be the plot to one of those"mysterious hotel/inn run by crazed murderer(s)" horror films..

I hate to say I was thinking the same thing. Great setting and storyline for a bunch of yupsters to come for a weekend, and disappear one by one. 

• Love 1

I really didn't get that Karan was claiming to live an amish/mennonite lifestyle from a place of having any clear idea what an amish or mennonite lifestyle involves. Both of those sects keep to minimalism, simplicity, hard work, and a profound respect for what you've been given.

I see none of that in Karan. What I see is a depressed, lonely, passive-aggressive aging hippie who thinks people can't judge her for wearing the same outfit every day if she claims it's a spiritual choice. I mean, who knows, she may be a completely different person and just shocked into behaving oddly by the experience of having her home invaded by a camera crew, but she struck me as the human equivalent of a "Namaste, [rude word]" bumper sticker. No, even if you master your tree pose real hard it does not make you a hindu, and a weakness for baskets doesn't make you amish (especially if both your kitchen and your guestrooms have microwaves in them).

• Love 4
(edited)

She did say she hadn't watched a TV in like 20 years though. And also where she slept, it wasn't even a real bed. Perhaps she really is into the Amish lifestyle? (Making an exception for appliances needed for work) Or I think she was just being facetious and saying she likes to live a simple life, not that she actually is Amish, but just likes a simple lifestyle similar to theirs.

Edited by BogoGog24
  • Love 1
(edited)

Someone above said possible dementia with Karan - I saw that myself only I thought early onset Alzheimer's.  She has some of the symptoms I've unfortunately seen before.  Mr. Snarkle's ex law partner has this and I hate to say it looks like Karan might have it too.

I won't judge the son or the cook or anyone involved with her because it's obvious she's deteriorated over time and things have gone so far downhill they don't know what to do with her anymore.  I'm sure the hotel didn't start out that way and she was probably in her right mind when the son bought it for her.  He has probably been afraid that she's too fragile to handle whatever they would do to improve things so he has let things go to protect her in a way.  I don't think this is because the son doesn't care, it's just that he hasn't found a way to deal with the situation, which is probably why he called the show for help.  He probably doesn't live nearby either and probably wasn't completely aware of how far down things had sunk.  I thought for sure he and Gordon were going to suggest that a new manager come in and she would just be allowed to help out but that not happening makes me think the real truth is being hidden from the audience because I very much doubt the son is going to be more "hands on" in that place on a regular basis.  And I too call BS on Sarah's real relationship with Karan and why she is there in the first place.  That was never followed-up on by the show.  Perhaps the son was going to use the makeover to dress the place up for sale, but they just didn't want to make that public on the show, or he was hiding it from Karan to buy some time to break it to her so it wouldn't feel like a huge slap in the face.  That's my hunch, anyway.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

This episode, and the last, broke my heart.  Seeing how Karan lived.  It wasn't a room but a squared off piece of a room. I'm sorry I am judging the son. He knew where she slept.  Her own son couldn't give her a room to live in?  She didn't even have a bed - she slept on item that was sort of a bed but it wasn't even a bed.  When Gordon talked to him it didn't seem to bother him a lot. I wish we would have seen Gordon grill him more on why him mother was living in a squared off place. He knew and did nothing. He was an owner and didn't know.  But it's easier to blame the woman who clearly didn't have a clue.  Her son bought her an Inn to be Grandma's house too?  Gordon you wouldn't say something on that too? 

It should have been part of the deal that Sarah was gone.  She seems like a grafter that hangs on to those like Karan.  I'm not going to comment on the dementia because from what I saw of Karan, it was nothing like my mom had during her lost battle with Alzheimer's (I saw no forgetting names, placing things in odd places, forgetting how to speak, just stumbling over simple words, even her coordination.  Although my mom was clever at the beginning stages.  We'd comment on how clever she was at hiding details - she would answer with a question, she would mention a toddler was over, and just push off those signs.  You believe it at first too.) But enough of my talk on that disease because everyone's is different :).

I hope the Inn does better for Karan and the staff - her son I don't really care about.  I really hope it becomes successful and she buys the son out.

• Love 4
(edited)

I cannot imagine what kind of upbringing her son had.  To me, I see she has "smile, mask syndrome,"  not dementia. I don't hold him responsible for her situation; I think he has problems, too.  He seemed to almost mimic his mother when Gordon was talking to him.  He did not register on the horror (that we saw) nor did we see much of him. There was probably a reason for that.  

The cook should have been cleaning that stove.  He should not have needed Karan to keep after him.  He knew she was skewed and just wanted to keep the easy job.  His break down with Gordon was an act.  He was just caught in not doing his job and not caring. 

The Inn is still up and running with pics of the renovated rooms we saw and an interesting (?!) piece on the inn keeper, Karan. 

http://www.thetownsinn.com/about-us/history-of-the-inn-keeper/

ETA- I agree that Sarah and maybe the other woman, as well, were there to watch Karan and help her.  Well, they watched her I suppose!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I don't think that she slept on that wood/quilt combo out of necessity.  She had beds upstairs that were not used every night.  She could have easily used one of those and vacated kt on the nights that the room was rented.  She choose to sleep in that walled off area.

• Love 5

It occurred to me that we never heard anything about her son's father. No mention if they were ever married and are now either divorced or he's deceased. I have the feeling there's a lot going on with that situation that the show did not want to delve into or reveal. It's completely possible Karan had to raise her son single handedly, I'm getting the sense whoever the father is wasn't involved in his life, which could be a contributing factor to why Karan has these mental and emotional issues and why she hoards stuff. I hope that I'm wrong but I can't help thinking she might have been the victim of rape or something and why nothing of the father has been mentioned. But something along those lines or an absentee dad would explain a lot IMO.