Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Town's Inn Part 2

I've always kind of wondered about how Ramsay expects the owners to implement the changes he's made when they are in debt. For example on his KN show he usually tells them to start making all the food fresh every day and buying fresh ingredients, which can get costly. And for HH I think his team redoes one room and they have to finish the others. How can they do this when they are usually in an insane amount of debt? 

(edited)
2 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

I've always kind of wondered about how Ramsay expects the owners to implement the changes he's made when they are in debt. For example on his KN show he usually tells them to start making all the food fresh every day and buying fresh ingredients, which can get costly. And for HH I think his team redoes one room and they have to finish the others. How can they do this when they are usually in an insane amount of debt? 

We don't know if they are in debt or not.  They may say so for the added drama.  Since his visit is set up well in advance I have to believe the owners want to do it, no matter what.  In this case the son had enough money to finish the job.  In other cases I think they want to sell the hotel and seek the publicity.  You can be sure a contract is signed and all in agreement of what goes down.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
(edited)

Well, let's see. He cleaned the kitchen and updated it into a condition that a professional chef would consider working in, started renovations, forced her to stop squatting at work, got her son to invest the money to fix the place up and get the rodents out of the walls, and gave her hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of free publicity. So, no, I'm going to say that basically everything Ramsay did was not removed.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

I don't see how you can even make money off of three guest rooms and a tiny dining room. Some people have B&B's with only a few rooms, but it is often their home and they are renting out part of it to guests. The article about Karan said she also owns another inn/restaurant so I don't think we have the whole story here.

50 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I don't see how you can even make money off of three guest rooms and a tiny dining room. Some people have B&B's with only a few rooms, but it is often their home and they are renting out part of it to guests. The article about Karan said she also owns another inn/restaurant so I don't think we have the whole story here.

From the article, it seemed like the second place is a hostel. It's probably not all that difficult to fill a hostel off the Appalachian Trail in summer.

10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The adjacent building is a hostel. I read somewhere that it has some kind of limited food service. That's probably where all that bread went.

That must be it; the hostel guests eat breakfast at the Inn.   This is the first I heard about the hostel.  Is this the place Gordon rented a room for her to stay?  If so he must have paid the fee for her since it is probably full all summer.  

On 6/19/2016 at 9:17 AM, wings707 said:

That must be it; the hostel guests eat breakfast at the Inn.   This is the first I heard about the hostel.  Is this the place Gordon rented a room for her to stay?  If so he must have paid the fee for her since it is probably full all summer.  

The place he rented was one side of a duplex in a residential neighborhood.

• Love 1
(edited)

Nope there was never a follow up on Susan and in fact she was hardly shown at all in the second part of the episode. 

Speaking of her, I was rewatching the beginning because I had missed the first 5 minutes when it aired and saw the part when Ramsay digs out his little device to measure the cleanliness of the room and the teenage waiter is exasperatingly telling Karan the point Ramsay is trying to make and Sarah goes "You're yelling." I'd have been like "Bitch shut the fuck up, you don't even work here!" Like who is Sarah to go around bossing around the employees? I also got a kick out of the young boys laughing when Ramsay was looking at Sarah's "murals" on the walls of the kitchen. You could tell how overjoyed the employees were at Ramsay seeing the mess and being happy someone finally got it. Like the waitress talking about Karan's "accidents" on the bathroom floor, if I had seen that on my first day on the job, I'd have booked out of there fast. 

"It smells like there's crap on the floor."
"Probably because there's crap on the floor." 

LMAO!

Edited by BogoGog24
  • Love 3

I looked up some old reviews on Trip Advisor.  The reason she had that outdoor mat on the floor was because that is what they generally call a "wet room" - there is no curb between the shower and the rest of the bathroom.  There's a curtain, but that will do little to stop water escaping.  There were complaints that the toilet paper was wet, that towels in the bathroom would get wet.  That would explain why there was so much bacteria on that mat.  That room is constantly wet.  It was also noted that the bathroom/shower wasn't really part of the building - it was an add-on.  There were also several complaints about earthworms in the shower.  One showed a picture.  Eeew.

• Love 6
On 6/15/2016 at 11:30 AM, Jersey Guy 87 said:

I have a tough time blaming the son as well without knowing more information.  I can imagine Karan is exhausting to deal with - she seems to just float through things without any real reaction or emotion.  I don't know what her state was when her son bought the place, I don't know how much she deteriorated over that time, I don't know what her situation was before he bought the place (did she live with him and his family?  Have a place of her own?). He seemed pretty detached and emotionless himself, but that may be a reaction to having dealt with her for many years.  Buying the place and letting his mom be innkeeper may have seemed like a good idea at the time, an opportunity to get her more engaged with the world around her.  Or it may have been a way (as someone suggested above) to stash her out of the way and use the losses the inn must be amassing as a tax write-off.

As someone with difficult parents (who compared to Karen seem quite normal which in itself is terrifying) I will say I agree.  I am sure he is trying his best but when you deal with people who are truly delusional from mental disease or just not living in reality it is exhausting.  SO coming from THAT perspective I sympathize with her son.  He is trying to give his mother a place to live and money to live on and the chance to have a relationship with her grandkids but also allow HIS family a chance to have boundaries.

I am sure a lifetime of dealing with her is exhausting and I think the show was probably his best chance of trying to get her to wake up.  It is obvious she is unfixable.  I am hoping the show will allow her son exposure to sell it once he kicks her out and I hope for him that he can find her a place to live that is cheap and close by that includes weekly cleaning.

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, Slakkie said:

As someone with difficult parents (who compared to Karen seem quite normal which in itself is terrifying) I will say I agree.  I am sure he is trying his best but when you deal with people who are truly delusional from mental disease or just not living in reality it is exhausting.  SO coming from THAT perspective I sympathize with her son.  He is trying to give his mother a place to live and money to live on and the chance to have a relationship with her grandkids but also allow HIS family a chance to have boundaries.

I am sure a lifetime of dealing with her is exhausting and I think the show was probably his best chance of trying to get her to wake up.  It is obvious she is unfixable.  I am hoping the show will allow her son exposure to sell it once he kicks her out and I hope for him that he can find her a place to live that is cheap and close by that includes weekly cleaning.

I agree, totally.  Good post!

• Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, Slakkie said:

Yes!   I'm trying right now to convince a 90 year old parent to consider de-cluttering and possibly moving to a smaller place.  It's easy to see how people become hoarders when there is SO MUCH paper coming into the house each day - mail, ads, newspapers, etc, that the task of going through all of it seems too daunting, so it's just piled up for "later".  And not wanting to throw out anything that was a gift, or cost money, or "might come in useful some day."    And it's really tough to tell the person who RAISED you, how they have to live.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/16/2016 at 11:12 AM, break21 said:

This episode shouldn't have aired.  She's mentally ill. 

I thought it was especially wrong and disrespectful that they aired the part about her pooping accident.  I get that it's gross in terms of people being exposed, and yes,  it should have been properly cleaned and disinfected. Still,  there was really no reason to humiliate her for something that's probably out of her control. I imagine that there is enough shame that goes with incontinence; I'm sure most people would rather not unintentionally poop on themselves. Karan - - kooky as she was-- didn't deserve that. 

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 7
On 6/22/2016 at 10:55 AM, Slakkie said:

He is trying to give his mother a place to live and money to live on and the chance to have a relationship with her grandkids but also allow HIS family a chance to have boundaries.

It sounds like it would have been cheaper to pay her bills on a small house than expect her to manage a business. It would probably be better to either throw everything into the restaurant and drop the B&B, or make a little kitchy store out of the place, building off the general store and maybe have a basket room or something. Get one of those 17 year olds to run it - at lease the prices would be sane.