Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I can’t pretend Harry Potter doesn’t still mean something to me despite everything. I’m so glad that Robbie did the reunion because he left us with such a beautiful parting message that Hagrid will always be there, even when he (the actor) was gone. And dammit I loved that sweet, dragon-loving oaf Hagrid.😭😭😭😭

• Sad 4
  • Love 9
29 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

For me, the definitive Robbie Coltrane role was in Nuns on the Run--"spectacles, testicles, wallet, and watch."

That's my second favorite role of his.  Cracker was my absolute favorite.

• Love 4

I was reading reddit and saw someone's post regarding him in the documentary and didn't think much of it until I looked back and realized it was memorial :(. 72 is way to young :(. I do wonder if he knew based on his quote about Hagrid living on. Which he will and I am very thankful for that.

RIP Robbie Coltrane. 

• Sad 6
  • Love 1
On 10/11/2022 at 1:10 AM, roamyn said:

I disliked Jeremy, loved Joshua, and liked Jason.  I’m sorry to hear that he passed, but he an incredibly long, active life.

I think only David, Bobby, Susan and Brigitte are left.

I liked Aaron Stempel best.

I've been offline and out of the country for a week and had no idea Angela Lansbury had died until about 15 minutes ago. I loved her in all the things everyone has already mentioned but especially as Mame, Mrs. Lovett, and Mrs. Iselin from the Manchurian Candidate. If you only know her from Murder, She Wrote or Beauty and the Beast, you have to see the Manchurian Candidate.

If you can, check out Ghosts (UK) series 3 where Fanny's love of MSW is integral to the plot of an episode.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Ron is in heaven solving murders with Angela -- wait, do they have murders in heaven?!

Don't think so since one is already dead.  However, maybe they have murder mystery weekends and escape rooms too.

Sorry to hear of Masak's passing, as I remember him from so many projects over the years.  RIP sir.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

How absolutely awful for Carly Simon. Joanna Simon, opera singer and sister of Carly Simon, dies day before death of other sister Lucy Simon. They both had their own careers in music.

Broadway composer Lucy Simon, 82, died of breast cancer Thursday and retired opera singer Joanna Simon, 84, succumbed to thyroid cancer the day before.

Both deaths were confirmed to Deadline on Friday by a source close to the Oscar- and Grammy-winning pop star. Their younger brother, photographer Peter Simon, died of cardiac arrest in 2018 after his own battle with cancer....

Mezzo-soprano Joanna Simon made her debut at New York City Opera as Cherubino in Mozart’s “The Marriage of Figaro” in 1962. A decade later, she performed the title role in the world premiere of Thomas Pasatieri’s “Black Widow” at the Seattle Opera. After her partial retirement from the world of opera, she was an Emmy-winning arts correspondent for PBS’s “MacNeil-Lehrer News Hour” until 1992...

Lucy wrote the music for Broadway musicals “The Secret Garden” (1991) and “Doctor Zhivago (2011),” winning Grammy and Drama Desk Awards, as well as a Tony nomination for Best Score.

• Sad 30
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

How absolutely awful for Carly Simon. Joanna Simon, opera singer and sister of Carly Simon, dies day before death of other sister Lucy Simon. They both had their own careers in music.

It sure is sad! Let's also not forget that Lucy Simon took that classic nursery rhyme 'Winkin, Blinkin and Nod' and turned it into a really cool folk song when she and Carly debuted it in 1964 while performing as the Simon Sisters! I know it soon became recorded by many others (most notably the marvelous version by Cass Elliot while in The Big Three) but their version blazed the path . .and would launch her youngest sister Carly's solo career!

BTW, their sister Joanna who sang messo-soprano became the companion of (of all people) the widowed landmark journalist Walter Cronkite in his twilight years after the death of her own husband Gerald Walker (which was mentioned in the article linked by @Vermicious Knid)

RIP, Misses Simon, you gave us such marvelous music!

Poor Carly having to have this horrific blow!

Edited by Blergh
  • Sad 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

How sad.

I played the Carly Simon song, Like A River, at my Mother's funeral service this summer.  It's a very poignant song about losing her mother.  It sounds like she has outlived all of her immediate family now.  How strange that must feel to be the last of a big family.

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 9
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

How sad.

I played the Carly Simon song, Like A River, at my Mother's funeral service this summer.  It's a very poignant song about losing her mother.  It sounds like she has outlived all of her immediate family now.  How strange that must feel to be the last of a big family.

So true. So sad. But I hope Carly takes a small comfort in knowing we are all her family.

• Love 5

Being the last sibling left alive is a strange and sad feeling under normal circumstances, but for that to happen because you lost two sisters in two days is quite the mind fuck.  Poor Carly.

• Sad 22
On 10/23/2022 at 3:02 PM, Angeltoes said:

People Magazine, I expect you can do better than referring to Carly as the "You're So Vein" singer.  

I'm sure they could, but with the lack of respect or money devoted to good, factually and grammatically correct, in-depth writing, and the increased pressure on being the first to get a story on the internet, I'm not surprised.

Edited by Leeds
Easier reading.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Aw, damn.  He cracked me up in everything I saw him in; I'd seen him at AIDS Project L.A. events back in the day, so always remembered him right away.  I don't use social media, so I didn't know he'd become an Instagram "phenomenon" once the pandemic boosted his output, but I'm glad to hear so many people were introduced to his humor in recent years.  He had an interesting perspective as an older man, and a member of the LGBTQ community who'd been raised Southern Baptist. 

• Like 1
  • Love 14

This breaks my heart. He got me through the early days of the pandemic (and my pregnancy.) This just plain fucking sucks. I’ll miss you, Leslie. I know he had 2 kittens at one point, I really hope someone in his life will take care of them. RIP Leslie.

• Hugs 5
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Noooo!  Not Beverley Leslie!  (He was also hilarious as Terry on "Reba".)

That was the first time I ever saw in in anything. Reba I mean.  I thought he was wonderful.  Glad to read he eventually won an Emmy.  Well deserved.

• Love 5

That one breaks my heart. His mom and one of his sisters died this year, too, so the one remaining sister lost her whole family in 2022. Rest in peace, Leslie, heaven gained a true angel today.

• Sad 17
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

That was the first time I ever saw in in anything. Reba I mean.  I thought he was wonderful.  Glad to read he eventually won an Emmy.  Well deserved.

He was hilarious. Him and Reba snarking on Barbra Jean pretty good and then when Van walked in and saw him "Mary".

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, emma675 said:

That one breaks my heart. His mom and one of his sisters died this year, too, so the one remaining sister lost her whole family in 2022. Rest in peace, Leslie, heaven gained a true angel today.

Oh, damn, that's rough :(. My heart and condolences go out to her. 

So shocked to hear about Leslie Jordan - such awful news. He was hilarious and seemed like the sweetest guy. May he rest in peace. 

• Love 13
15 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, damn, that's rough :(. My heart and condolences go out to her. 

So shocked to hear about Leslie Jordan - such awful news. He was hilarious and seemed like the sweetest guy. May he rest in peace. 

Horrible day for us Will & Grace fans!

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 4

I am just gutted over Leslie Jordan.  He was the brightest spot on two shows I have watched.  I had only just discovered him in 2018 on "The Cool Kids", a one season show that wasn't that great but I stuck with primarily because of him.  I was sorry when he was no longer on my screen but thrilled when he turned up on "Call Me Kat".  I just can't even imagine how this is going to affect the cast and the show itself as he was one of its main stars and of course totally irreplaceable.  I was only just commenting to my husband last week that he looked a little worse for wear this season.  I'm wondering if the "medical even" might have been a heart attack.  So sad...😢

His joy for life was infectious and helped many people through the worst of the pandemic.  Yet another loss of a good soul at a time when that hurts all the more.

I appreciated this NYT article about him especially the heartfelt reader comments.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I’m glad to see Mr. Jordan get so much love from fans.

I truly thought he was underrated and no one knew of him, besides me and a few others.

So sorry to his surviving sister, what a tragic year for her.

• Sad 2
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, roamyn said:

I truly thought he was underrated and no one knew of him, besides me and a few others.

I know what you mean.  I think I first saw him on Hearts Afire almost 30 years ago.  After that all I needed to do was hear his voice and I knew it was him.  

I read his book this year and he pulled himself through some tough times.  He will be missed.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I am just gutted over Leslie Jordan.  He was the brightest spot on two shows I have watched.  I had only just discovered him in 2018 on "The Cool Kids", a one season show that wasn't that great but I stuck with primarily because of him.  I was sorry when he was no longer on my screen but thrilled when he turned up on "Call Me Kat".  I just can't even imagine how this is going to affect the cast and the show itself as he was one of its main stars and of course totally irreplaceable.  I was only just commenting to my husband last week that he looked a little worse for wear this season.  I'm wondering if the "medical even" might have been a heart attack.  So sad...😢

His joy for life was infectious and helped many people through the worst of the pandemic.  Yet another loss of a good soul at a time when that hurts all the more.

I appreciated this NYT article about him especially the heartfelt reader comments.

That was my experience too! Loved him in The Cool Kids, and his being on Call Me Kat cemented my choice to watch it. He'll be so missed!

• Love 2