Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't understand this either. It's not the first time that people demanded an immediate reaction from someone regarding another person's death. Why? Let everyone react if and when they feel like, in a way they feel like (publicly or privately). Why should anyone have to make a public statement just because they were close to someone once, or worked with them?

My mom said the same thing. People really need to relearn the concept of privacy. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 9

Well Ellen's statement was the sort of statement you'd expect from someone who hasn't actually seen an ex for over 22 years. I mean it's whatever. Ellen has built a brand on being "kind" and whatever, so people wanted to see what she'd say.

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Posted in the wrong thread. They're officially taking Anne off life support today as they've found an organ donor match.

So glad they found a match (or matches). Apparently Anne was always very pro organ donation. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Apparently Ann was always very pro organ donation. 

I had been wondering (but was too lazy to search for any references) if they were carrying out her stated wishes or acting on their own consciences in keeping her on life support in the hopes of finding a recipient for some of her organs.  Either way, fantastic, obviously, but I was mildly curios, so thanks for that information. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Posted in the wrong thread. They're officially taking Anne off life support today as they've found an organ donor match.

And I hope this gets talked about a lot.  I believe organ donation organizations say that being open about organ donation ends up encouraging others to donate too.  It's such a hard thing for families to decide in the moment even if the person has indicated that they're pro-donation. 

• Love 15
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I had been wondering (but was too lazy to search for any references) if they were carrying out her stated wishes or acting on their own consciences in keeping her on life support in the hopes of finding a recipient for some of her organs.  Either way, fantastic, obviously, but I was mildly curios, so thanks for that information. 

Anne was an organ donor according to her drivers license, apparently.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I read it somewhere recently. I’ll look for the source. 

I don’t think this is where I originally read it, but: 

It has long been (Heche's) choice to donate her organs and she is being kept on life support to determine if any are viable," read a statement received Thursday by USA TODAY from Heche's publicist.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 7
54 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm hoping something can be harvested, and help others. 

You mean donated. Harvesting is a very ugly word for deliberately taking organs without consent.

Anyway, Anne has been taken off life support and the big obituaries are now published.

NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/14/arts/anne-heche-dead.html

Wapo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2022/08/14/actress-anne-heche-dead-crash/

USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2022/08/14/anne-heche-dies-after-car-accident/10254378002/

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

But I cry for those sad child eyes in her younger photo the hurt cannot be ignored. She definitely loved her children and found joy in them. But she was hurt so young can it ever be overcome?

Edited by Gramto6
  • Sad 6
  • Love 1
On 8/12/2022 at 9:29 PM, voiceover said:

Anne and Catherine Keener played lifelong best friends whose relationship is tested when one gets engaged in Walking and Talking, a 1996 film by Nicole Holofcener.  It’s one of the sweetest, tartest, truest depictions of women’s friendships in cinema, and it’s one of my faves.

I always liked Anne for her performance in that movie, and I mourn her loss today. 

Walking and Talking is one of my favorite "chick flicks," a totally underrated gem.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
On 8/13/2022 at 8:02 AM, Blergh said:

Which is FAR better than Ted Nugent having GLOATED on camera about his 1st wife's (and mother of his eldest children's)  death! Thankfully Miss DeGeneres seems to be less of a creep than Mr. Nugent has proven to be.

Talk about your low bars.  😆

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

But she was hurt so young can it ever be overcome?

The damage never disappears, but for many of us, it does not have to form the basis of our lives.  Like all adversity, it is part of us, but not all of us.  It's an individual thing of course.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

Duggie Brown dies aged 82.

The comedian and actor, who starred in Coronation Street and Last of the Summer Wine, has died at the age of 82. Rotherham-born Brown found fame in Ken Loach’s 1969 film Kes, based on Barry Hines’s novel, and became one of the most well-known comedians of his generation. He also appeared in the groundbreaking comedy programmes The Comedians and The Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club.

He was also the brother of the Coronation Street actor Lynne Perrie, who starred as Ivy Tilsley for 15 years and who died in 2006.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Sad 7
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Damn, I love Neverending Story.

I didn't remember that Wolfgang Petersen directed Shattered with Tom Berenger, but I loved that movie ! I was in my 20's when it came out, saw it at the theater, and was blown away by the reveal at the end. Even though if I saw a movie like that today I'd probably guess the twist, back then it seemed so original ! I can still watch it and enjoy it.

• Love 3

Hanae Mori, renowned Japanese fashion designer, dies at 96.

Nicknamed ‘Madame Butterfly’, Mori was the first Japanese designer to make it in the world of French haute couture. She designed clothes for Grace Kelly and Nancy Reagan, as well as the wedding gown worn by the current Japanese empress, Masako. Her career took her from Tokyo, where she started out making costumes for cinema, to New York and Paris. In 1977, her label became the first Asian fashion house to join the rarefied ranks of haute couture. Her global empire expanded to include perfumes, handbags, and publishing, and her umbrellas and scarves, often decked with colorful butterflies, became a status symbol with working women

• Sad 9
  • Useful 1
On 8/16/2022 at 3:15 PM, MissAlmond said:

Director Wolfgang Petersen whose films included Das BootThe NeverEnding Story, and In the Line of Fire, has died, age 81.

Das Boot was one of the few times I thought the movie lived up to the book, both were outstanding. In the Line of Fire is one of those movies I'll stop and watch anytime I come across it.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

NBC New Chief Foreign Correspondent Richard Engel  announced yesterday that his son Henry died on August 9,2022 from complications of Rett's Syndrome at the age of six.  I wouldn't wish this to happen to anyone!

I had friends who had a child with this condition and I recall when that child was eighteen months, it seemed as though this child's perception of was in a filter and this toddler had  difficulty walking. Sad to say, things went downhill from there and, though the parents (like the Engels)  did everything possible to help the child to live   life as fully as possible under these horrific conditions, the child would die as a teen- totally incapacitated and unable to communicate or even smile. 

Poor Mr. and Mrs. Engel  for having this utter heartbreak. RIP (and may your mind and body be healed in the next world), young Henry Engel . 

https://pagesix.com/2022/08/18/richard-engels-son-henry-dead-at-age-6-of-neurological-disorder/

Edited by Blergh
  • Sad 24

Oh no!  Not Elizabeth! Here's hoping there's no coffee cups with hand painted periwinkles to break in heaven.  Keeping Up Appearances was one of my first British TV experiences.  Did a rewatch a few years ago and it still hilariously held up.

• Love 11

It's interesting how, aside from the first episode, Hyacinth always served Elizabeth coffee instead of the architypical English tea! I think it's more likely than not, that since tea is essentially tan colored water, the spillage wasn't as instantly noticeable for audiences to react as coffee proved to be. Poor Elizabeth got few breaks from her overwhelming neighbor or her constantly complaining live-in brother but she stayed a sympathetic character.

Of course, in addition to Miss Tewson's skill in spilling coffee and breaking Hyacinth's Royal Doulton ( '40 Pounds each- and irreplaceable !' ) china, Miss Tewson proved to be a skillful physical comic over the series. No doubt the show's producer Roy Clarke valued her enough to employ her in  his other hit Last of the Summer Wine after KUA's end but the latter character wasn't as sympathetic or fun as Elizabeth!

Here's hoping she can catch up with the performers playing Richard, Onslow and the 2nd Rose and all of them can have a Hyacinth-free coffee clatch!

RIP, Miss Tewson!

• Love 9

Michael Malone, One Life to Live writer, Dead at 80.

Soap fans will remember Malone well as the award-winning headwriter of ONE LIFE TO LIVE, a position he held from 1991-96. During his tenure on the ABC soap, Malone wrote the classic storyline where Father Andrew defended gay teen Billy Douglas, created the infamous character of Todd Manning and penned the gang rape of Marty Saybrooke and the subsequent trial. He earned multiple Daytime Emmy Award nominations for his work, and took home the Outstanding Writing trophy in 1994. Malone also earned numerous Writers Guild Award nominations and took home that prize in 1993.

In addition to his work in daytime, Malone also penned multiple novels during his extensive writing career, including titles like Handling Sin, Time’s Witness, First Lady, The Last Noel, and The Four Corners of the Sky.

• Sad 3

Leon Vitali, Stanley Kubrick collaborator and Barry Lyndon actor, dies aged 74.

Vitali, who gave up acting to become the demanding director’s right-hand man, died in Los Angeles on Friday.

Though Vitali was often described as Kubrick’s assistant, the 2017 documentary Filmworker shed light on his enormous and largely unsung contributions to the work of one of cinema’s greatest figures, from The Shining through Eyes Wide Shut. He did everything from casting and coaching actors to overseeing restorations. Vitali even once set up a video monitor so Kubrick could keep an eye on his dying cat.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Sad 6