Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Terry Pratchett passed away at age 66.   I actually found this out a while ago but I am still having such a hard time processing that he is gone that it took me this long to remember to come over here.

• Love 1

Terry Pratchett passed away at age 66.   I actually found this out a while ago but I am still having such a hard time processing that he is gone that it took me this long to remember to come over here.

Ohmygosh!  I'm a huge fan of his Discworld series. I was aware that he had been sick and his daughter had kind of taken over his writing.  He was an extremely talented man.

Edited by funkopop

I heard that on the CBC (Canada's national radio system) today.  I started reading him over 25 years ago and once drove two hours to a talk he was giving - not to mention the whole waiting in line for an hour to get stuff signed. 

Condolences to Julian Lennon on the passing of his mother, Cynthia.  Sounds like her cancer was diagnosed very recently.  She's the third "original Beatle wife" to pass away, after Maureen Starkey and Linda McCartney (both from cancer as well).

• Love 1

Just saw the news about Rod Taylor. In addition to The Birds, I'll always remember him The Glass Bottom Boat.

Way late, but Rod Taylor also played the recurring role of Gordon Cahill, recovering alcoholic & formerly estranged lawyer father of Sheree J. Wilson's character, Assistant DA Alexandra ("Alex") Cahill (eventually Cahill-Walker), on a few episodes of the Chuck Norris CBS series Walker Texas Ranger.

Lon Simmons, the long-time voice of the San Francisco Giants, has died at the age of 91.  Damn, he's  been retired for years but I'm still going to miss him.  But he did get to see three World Championships.  He was a great broadcaster.

James Best - Actor Who Played 'Dukes of Hazzard' Sheriff Dies at Age 88

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/actor-who-played-dukes-of-hazzard-sheriff-dies-at-age-88/2015/04/07/48f5bf40-dd3a-11e4-b6d7-b9bc8acf16f7_story.html

All of the headlines I've seen reference Dukes of Hazard. I guess he was best known for that, but to me he's a syndication HITG: guitarist Jim on The Andy Griffith Show, countless westerns, The Twilight Zone, etc.

I think of Best as a character actor and a darn good one.

RIP, Mr. Best.

• Love 4

Not Roscoe "Pecoe"? Train?!!! (that's how it always sounded to my young ears).

I remember seeing him in that Andy Griffith Show episode.

RIP, Mr. Best.

Yeah, he exaggerated it deliberately, of course.  Then again, even that thing of having and saying the middle initial and running it into the last name is kind of a character note that was supposed to communicate both Southern AND over the top.  

• Love 1

Richard Dysart, the Emmy-winning actor who played Leland McKenzie on L.A. Law, has passed away at the young age of 86.

http://tvline.com/2015/04/09/richard-dysart-dead-la-law-leland-mckenzie/

Anyone remember that infamous elevator scene?  I do!

I most certainly do, too!  The only other role I can remember seeing him in besides Leland was as the father of Cher's character in Mask, alongside The Golden Grls lady (Sophia) as the mother.

Richard Dysart, the Emmy-winning actor who played Leland McKenzie on L.A. Law, has passed away at the young age of 86.

http://tvline.com/2015/04/09/richard-dysart-dead-la-law-leland-mckenzie/

Anyone remember that infamous elevator scene?  I do!

I most certainly do, too!  The only other role I can remember seeing him in besides Leland was as the father of Cher's character in Mask, alongside The Golden Grls lady (Sophia) as the mother.

He also voiced the head psychiatrist at Arkham Asylum on Batman: The Animated Series in the 90s.

But he'll always be Leland McKenzie to me.

• Love 3

That elevator scene between Leland and Rosalind in 1991 was big then, and still is today, 24 years later, IIRC.

Also, Richard Dysart was always the last one credited in the titles of L.A. Law (unlike many "and..." credits in television, however, he didn't have his role name in the credit, though). 

Dysart was also memorable for his role in the film Being There, as the doctor who early on suspects something's not right with Chauncey Gardner. Always giving him troubled looks while everyone else around him seemed clueless. When L.A. Law started, I'd look at Dysart and all I could see was the troubled doctor. That took about a season to wear off, from which point on it became impossible to see him as anyone but Leland McKenzie. 

Sorry to hear the news :(

• Love 1

TV Director Richard L. Bare died on March 27th (I think it was, or maybe the 28th), at age 101. He directed a bunch of episodic TV, primarily in the 1960s-early/mid 1970s. He's best-known for directing most eps of Green Acres & a Twilight Zone ep, the title of which has variously been given as To Serve Man & To Serve Mankind (so I'm now confused as to which is the correct title).

Here's a link to his obit from Variety: http://variety.com/2015/tv/obituaries-people-news/richard-l-bare-green-acres-director-dies-dead-1201470533/