Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Ms. Strassman actually passed away last fall -- not sure why so many web sites post old obits as if they are new. Anyway, I loved her on M*A*S*H*, too.

Whoopsie. This is the second time that this has happened.

Yea she was good in it. I remember her from Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Memories.

not sure why so many web sites post old obits as if they are new

I have the same question; it's odd.  And misleading.  I saw it  in the other stories of interest, side of the page column, on The Huffington Post.

So apologies for what was likely a repost  regarding Ms. Strassman.

Third.  Tony Musante died in  2013.

What?? I saw that obit a couple of days ago and just assumed he had died recently.  Why are these sites doing this?  Do they think it's funny, some macabre joke?

Ms. Strassman actually passed away last fall -- not sure why so many web sites post old obits as if they are new. Anyway, I loved her on M*A*S*H*, too.

Thank you!  I thought I was having deja vu about dying celebrities, which - I'll admit it - freaked me out a little.

(edited)

What?? I saw that obit a couple of days ago and just assumed he had died recently. Why are these sites doing this? Do they think it's funny, some macabre joke?

Some repost obituaries on the anniversary of the person's passing (aka "deathiversary"). Tony Musante was born this week.

Edited by editorgrrl
Some repost obituaries on the anniversary of the person's passing (aka "deathiversary"). Tony Musante was born this week.

Well, ok then.  If they're going to do that then ,as Inquisionist wrote, they should verify the date of death before posting.  I haven't seen that.

Some repost obituaries on the anniversary of the person's passing (aka "deathiversary").

Well that's a stupid practice on their part. If they're going to do this they should make it very clear when the celebrity died, otherwise it makes a sad mockery of the phrase "you will be missed."

• Love 1

Was he supposed to tour with them this summer? Because I had tickets for them and TOTO. He was a brilliant bassist, and will really be missed in the music world. Such sad news.

• Love 2

Well that's a stupid practice on their part. If they're going to do this they should make it very clear when the celebrity died, otherwise it makes a sad mockery of the phrase "you will be missed."

I think it may be some algorithm that pulls the original story as a "related link" to something else, but people don't realize that. Most of the old obits that have been posted recently have the original publication date listed on the page, so it's easy to see when it was published, but that apparently gets overlooked.

• Love 4

Pair that with the powerful lure of being first with tasty content, and it’s no surprise that some social media users are quick to hit the “post” button without doing a bit of research first, he said.

I've been guilty of that, but I like to think I've learned my lesson.  :-)  Thanks for the link, forumfish.

• Love 4

So sorry to hear of Lamb's death.  He was a living legend and one of the last links to  "Old Vegas".  He seemed pretty spry in the last interviews we had with him. 

• Love 1

I am seriously bummed Burt died.   I use their lip balm, lipstick, hand cream, facial cleanser and cough drops.   Lovely little company that seems genuinely nice.   From their twitter feed Burt seemed like a regular guy that the money didn't change all that much.   

• Love 2

Burt's Bees was purchased by Clorox in 2007. I purchased 2 surprise gift bags a couple years after that not knowing the company had been sold and each bag had products in it that were a year or more past their expiration dates. Condolences to Burt Shavitz's family though.

People are posting to FB today that Andy Griffth died, whrn he actually died 3 yrs ago.

Why do newspapers do reprint death notices on death dates? When they know stupid people are on this world?

(edited)

People are posting to FB today that Andy Griffth died, whrn he actually died 3 yrs ago.

Why do newspapers do reprint death notices on death dates? When they know stupid people are on this world?

This was discussed just a page or so ago.  It seems that a new trend is to reprint death notices on the anniversary of the celebrity's death as a way to honor the celebrity's memory -- never mind that it is confusing as hell to people who don't always bother to read byline dates!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

This was discussed just a page or so ago. It seems that a new trend is to reprint death notices on the anniversary of the celebrity's death as a way to honor the celebrity's memory -- never mind that it is confusing as hell to people who don't always bother to read byline dates!

Oh, I know it was.

I just brought it up for precisely the reason you mentioned. The why. I can understand honoring people. But let's honor people like Sojourner Truth, Marco Polo or Frederick the Great. People who actually made a difference in this world.

• Love 3

I made this mistake recently, in the last week or so.  HuffPo had a death in their side bar of "breaking" news.  I was in a hurry, so I did a click / copy / save on the link when I posted.  I did not check the date on the link.  When I realized my error, I apologized.

I am not stupid.  Really.  Rushed at times, yes.  But not stupid.

• Love 2

My apologies, amaranta.

Poor choice of words. I should've said, people who don't pay attention.

However, I'm actually seeing people on FB who insist that because the media posts it, they are correct. I'm not kidding.

But people are this forum are more intelligent and acknowledging they might be in error.

• Love 4

If there's a death notice on a web site, and it's not in a "On This Date In History" section, then I think most people would assume it is current.  I wouldn't look at a date unless I remembered that the person had already died.

• Love 1
However, I'm actually seeing people on FB who insist that because the media posts it, they are correct. I'm not kidding.

Hey, if it's on the Internet it must be true, yes? ;-)

Apology happily accepted.  Poor word choices and brain freezes, both something most people can relate to.

Amanda Peterson, gone too soon at 43.  R.I.P.

I can hear the cards shuffling now. Mr Sharif is about to deal the first hand in 1 hell of a bridge game with Ben Bradlee, Don Adams and Pres. Dwight D Eisenhower. I think it's safe to say he's found his little corner of Heaven.

Rest peacefully and enjoy, Sir. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh man, I'm bummed. My mother - gone 20 yrs this May - favorite movie was Dr. Zhivago , and her favorite song was Somewhere My Love [/i ]. We played it at her memorial. The timing is sure hell on my emotions.

But he lived a life well spent and well loved. RIP, Sir.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2