Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I didn't cry for Leonard Nemoy, but I'm crying now. One of my first tv loves (along with Fred Penner - don't judge). RIP Mr Crombie. Gone way too soon. 

Now we'll never get a do-over for that craptastic last movie. (Last two movies if you count the prequel which I refused to watch). 

Too bad about Johnny Kemp.  I don't remember anything he did other than "Just Got Paid" but that was a jam back then.  He seemed like such a happy little dude in that video, rocking that jheri curl.  RIP.

• Love 3

I'm crushed about Jonathan Crombie. I remember first seeing Anne of Green Gables when it aired on PBS. Loved it. Jonathan had incredible chemistry with Megan Follows. He was the perfect Gilbert Blythe.

RIP Jonathan...

• Love 3

Former (according to the linked obit) actor Ben Powers, age 64. He was best-known for portraying Keith Anderson in the 6th (& Final) Season of Good Times.

Keith was a rookie NFL player who married Thelma Evans (daughter of the late James Evans & Florida Evans; sister of JJ & Michael Evans), then suffered what appeared to be a career-ending leg/knee injury--involving an accidental trip & fall, & possibly Thelma's brother, JJ--on the way back up the aisle after the couple was pronounced married (& apparently before his rookie NFL regular season even started).

Even though the character was written as being a signed NFL rookie (so he, theoretically, should've had at least some of his NFL salary coming in, every once in awhile, right?), after the injury he was portrayed as having the same financial problems as his new in-laws for most of the remainder of the season, until they aired the 6th Season/Series Finale when the lives of all of the core characters from that season took a decided upswing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ben-powers-dead-good-times-789946?utm_source=twitter

• Love 1

I just can't handle all this death today. I open up a website to find out about Ben Powers and I was really sad but then looked over and saw the news about Jonathan Crombie and am devastated. I was just so pleased to see him working on The Good Wife and now this. And I come here to find out about Johnny Kemp, that was my song back in the day.  Just too much all at once.

• Love 2

I can't imagine how is identical twin brother is feeling. While no doubt the entire family (and former colleagues )feel a part of them is lost, to become a twinless twin at such a young age.... and he will see him everyday when he looks into a mirror.

• Love 3

Adding this here too.  How very sad.  And so young.

I was shocked when I heard the news this morning. The news just reminded me of another talented actor who killed himself many years ago, also at a young age: Jonathan Brandeis. I think he was best known for his role in The Neverending Story I think? I remember him from the television shows he appeared in, Murder, She Wrote, Texas Ranger.

Just heartbreaking.

• Love 3

It's been a tough week for 80s kids in Canada. First Jonathan Crombie, then Lois Lilenstein of Sharon, Lois and Bram died this week at 78. Sharon, Lois and Bram and The Elephant show were such massive parts of my preschool years. While not as tragic as Mr Crombie, this is a sad one too. Skinnamarink Lois and RIP.

• Love 2

The news just reminded me of another talented actor who killed himself many years ago, also at a young age: Jonathan Brandeis.

I looked up his IMDB when I was watching Seaquest on Netflix and I was so horrified to learn that he killed himself that I had to set the series aside for awhile. I finished watching it eventually but I could never undo that filter of "this poor guy is going to kill himself."

52 is far too young.   But dman, I must have been really young when I watched this show because she is older than I am.   

I remember watching an episode on Hulu where Ruben Kincaid temporily retired and they had a new manager.   He screwed up the hotel room and got them one room for the whole family instead of a suite.   Tracy takes out her toy lawn mower to play.   Mom is on the phone with Ruben complaining and she says "Tracy is in the closet mowing the carpet."   It just struck me as so funny.   And not that way.    Just a little girl playing where she could.

• Love 2

I'm two years younger than Suzanne Crough and was a huge Partridge Family fan (David Cassidy was my first crush.)  Being that we were close in age I found myself wanting to be Tracy Partridge and even started writing my name as Tracy on my school work.  Hearing of her passing is sad, very sad. 

(edited)

I remember her from that film, plus Sister Act and some TV shows (Golden Girls and Seinfeld spring immediately to mind).  Wow; she didn't land an on-screen role until her 70s, and worked as recently as two years ago.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I was vacationing in Jamaica when "You Sexy Thing" blew up and I heard it everywhere I went.  I just remember the dancing and the rum and the resulting hangovers. :)  I've still got the vinyl and I will play it tonight, dancing with a rum & coke in my hand.

RIP Mr. Brown.

• Love 6

No, not Roz!  9 to 5 is one of my favorite films, and Wilson was so enjoyable both in the movie and in the special features for the 25th anniversary DVD. 

She was a great character actor, and someone others always seemed to enjoy working with.