Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I just watched Gimme Shelter for the first time earlier this week and was thinking the whole time that Charlie was easily the most grounded, likable member of the band. :( 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 18
5 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

"Squarest"? You couldn't tell from this video for "Miss You". He's the only one who looks like he matches the sleazy late 70s New York vibe of the song!

https://youtu.be/hic-dnps6MU

Wow, does that bring back good memories.  I remember the evening I was cruising in my 1978 Fiat Spider convertible with that song playing on the radio.  Good times.... 

• Love 6

Charlie pretty much looked exactly the same his whole life.  Mick and Keith did not age well at all, but Charlie was timeless.  I always loved the wink-wink, nudge-nudge eye-rolling he did in the videos.

• Love 14
29 minutes ago, madmax said:

My favorite Charlie Watts moment(s) are the multiple eye rolls in this video:

There is no other appropriate reaction to Mick Jagger's moves in that video.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I love Paul McCartney but he looks terrible.  Why have men people taken the pandemic as an excuse to abandon personal grooming?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

"Squarest"? You couldn't tell from this video for "Miss You"!

https://youtu.be/hic-dnps6MU

I think he (and Bill) still look pretty square compared to the others in that video.

Charlie seemed like the only functional one in Gimme Shelter. There were a couple of scenes of Richards lying in the floor while they were listening to playbacks, and he looks so high and incapacitated that I refuse to believe Keef walked into the room under his own powers or that he was lying in the floor out of choice/comfort as opposed to need. Mick also looked pretty stoned even when they were watching footage of the disaster that was Altamont, but Charlie was very articulate and with it. 

• Love 4

IMO, the fact that Mr. Watts was able to drum brilliantly despite having to constantly  endure Mr. Jagger's . . intonations should have gotten him a knighthood. Also, it can't have been easy to someone keep one's head straight when so many around him were constantly going off the rails. RIP, Mr. Watts. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Apocryphal, but I choose to believe it's true:

That was quoted in the Deadline obituary linked above; it comes from Keith Richards's memoir.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Apocryphal, but I choose to believe it's true:

image.png.8ca788050323958119858de570760fd1.png

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

That was quoted in the Deadline obituary linked above; it comes from Keith Richards's memoir.

Watts also apologized for it about 20 years ago, years before Richards released his memoir, so I think it's pretty well established that the story is not apocryphal and really did happen. I've never seen Jagger comment on it, but if I were him, I'd also probably want to pretend it didn't happen. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 8/21/2021 at 8:13 PM, BooksRule said:

I just saw on Facebook that American humorist (and public speaker) Jeanne Robertson has passed (that's how you have to say it, according to her.  Not died, not passed away, but 'passed' -- while you bow your head).  I loved her videos and hate that I was never able to go see her in person. And her husband Jerry (aka 'Left brain') passed just this past June.

I'll miss watching new videos, but I'll be re-watching my favorites online, including 'Don't bunjee jump naked' and the very first one I ever saw 'Don't sent a man to the grocery store'.  

That was a funny clip. Thanks for posting it. I wonder when it was filmed because the cashier's comment "Is there an epidemic" seems prophetic. I hope Jeanne had baked enough 7-Up cakes.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

That was a funny clip. Thanks for posting it. I wonder when it was filmed because the cashier's comment "Is there an epidemic" seems prophetic. I hope Jeanne had baked enough 7-Up cakes.

That was probably a decade or more ago. Maybe even 20 years ago. Her YouTube channel is filled with clips. Go to the beginning and ENJOY!

• Love 3

Lou Grant was such a great character both in comedy and drama and Asner's ability to do both was outstanding.

Cast__AW_3337.jpg.32745dae07ebc48a5b7474b19fa3ab44.jpg

When I watched the first episode of Cobra Kai and he appears as Johnny Lawrence's stepdad it was an indication it was going to be better than I expected. I was like "Whoa they got Ed Asner?!"

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

He always posted the lovelies tributes to his friends when they passed so I hope those who survived him will follow his example.

I think we're down to just Betty White now as the last surviving cast member of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. And knowing her, she'll very definitely post a tribute to Ed when she's ready. In the meantime, RIP, Ed!

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
39 minutes ago, mariah23 said:

Ed Asner died last night.

Sad, sad news about Ed Asner although I've been expecting it.  His tweets the last few years on the loss of friends and colleagues always had the sense he was ready and prepared to join them.  R.I.P. Mr. Asner. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Mr. Asner was a hell of a TV (and movie!) icon, from The Mary Tyler Moore Show to Up. He definitely won't be forgotten. 

At least we’ll get to enjoy him as Carl one more time in the Dug Days shorts on Disney+.

• Love 6

Ed Asner died last night.

He'll always be that guy who hated MTM's spunk:

I was impressed at the work he's done over the years!  Besides Lou Grant (not just on MTM but his own series spinoff!) but I'll also remember him for his gender bending turn as Granny Goodness in Justice League Unlimited!

I guess that means the character of Sid will have died in Cobra Kai.  I don't know if he'll appear in Season 4 (which will likely air this fall - January at the latest) but it will definitely allow for a new wrinkle in that show's dynamic. 

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 11