Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

God dammit. I loved Night Court as a kid and Harry Anderson was terrific as Judge Harry Stone. He was funny but he was also fantastic in the serious dramatic moments. Also loved when he showed up on Cheers as "Harry the Hat". I liked Dave's World as well. He was also great as older Richie Tozier in the IT miniseries. RIP.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

No! Not Judge Stone! I loved him on Night Court. And on Cheers and Dave's World. But mostly Night Court. He was so funny!

Damn you, 2018.  Didn't you learn from how many people hated 2016 and 2017 for doing stuff like this?  Don't make us hate YOU, too!

• Love 6

I liked Mr. Anderson as 'Harry the Hat' in Cheers.  At least he got to spend the last decade in semi-retirement in one of the most beautiful spots in the US on the edge of the Great Smoky Mountains- Asheville, North Carolina. RIP, Mr. Anderson.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Calvada said:

Only 65 - so young.  He hadn't done much acting in recent years, had he?  I wonder if he had health issues.  

It sounds like it to me, too. But I think the linked obit quotes his son as saying it was due to natural causes.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

I loved Harry Anderson.  His man-crush on Mel Torme was so endearing and funny.

This is a terribly sad day for comedy and irreverence.

I loved the whole plot about Harry can't stand Barry Manilow, & then won't believe it when Christine (?Markie Post's character) tells him Mel actually recorded with Barry  (in real life, during the timeframe when the show would've been on; I think even incorporating a copy of the actual album cover in what she said), & Harry said that was blasphemy, as I remember.

INTERESTING FACT/TRIVIA: Barry & Mel Tormé actually did another duet, "The Brooklyn Bridge", on Barry's current CD, This Is My Town: Songs of New York. As far as I know, it wasn't recorded at the same time as Tormé's song on the previous album. It appears Barry used the same production technique on this song as he did all the songs on his earlier album/CD, My Dream Duets, because all of his duet partners had passed on prior to recording. Barry removed/had a 3rd party remove everything from the songs used on that earlier CD except the other person's vocals; he then wrote a new musical arrangement for each song & put the music & the other singer's vocals with his to make the recording which was released.

And then there was the plot about the Hurricane headed for NYC, very high up on the scale where they measure how dangerous a storm like that is supposed to be, I think it was named Hurricane Mel in the ep; all Judge Harry could do was exhibit a sort of "pride" in how monstrous a storm sharing the name of his musical hero was, & adding that a storm  named Barry probably couldn't even create a good gust of wind, considering Manilow was among those who shared its name.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

But I think the linked obit quotes his son as saying it was due to natural causes.

Health issues are natural causes. Death by accident, violence or suicide is not. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Calvada said:

Only 65 - so young.  He hadn't done much acting in recent years, had he?  I wonder if he had health issues.

He's made statements over the years about disliking Hollywood bullshit and that's why he didn't act as much and relocated to New Orleans and Asheville.

A terrific obituary of Harry Anderson, in the Times. I tip my hat to what he says about his mother, and to that lovely quality of tolerance he always wore so well. True, it's a godsend of a trait for any minor con man -- and for any human being.

• Love 3

RIP Mrs. Bush.  Thank you for your many years of service as the tirelessly working wife of a public figure.  May you rejoice in your reunion with your little daughter. 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

Not many celebrity deaths bring tears to my eyes - this one does. I used to listen to him every weekday morning on Morning Edition, then every Saturday on "Wait Wait".

Word. I loved him on 'Wait, Wait'. RIP Mr. Kasell.

44 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

And Here's the Barbara Bush Obit From People

As I add this, MSNBC, CNN, & Faux (Fox) News Channel are all doing Breaking News stories on her passing.

RIP Mrs. Bush.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Calvada said:

RIP, Barbara Bush.  She went on her own terms, lived into her 10th decade, and seems to have had a life filled with love.  We should all be so lucky.  

I really respect Barbara Bush's decision not to use more medical resources.  At 92, with congestive heart failure and C.O.P.D., needing a walker and an oxygen tank, the body is sending a strong message.  I'm glad that her family respected her acknowledgement that it was time to go and allowed her to do so in a peaceful way.  It's a great example.

• Love 12

I remembered when I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in June/July 2003. My doctor at the time told me I was in good company because Bush Sr. and Barbara each had Graves Disease too. I always like her and Laura Bush. R.I.P. Mrs. Bush

Barbara Bush lived a long, fulfilling life, and she supposedly was in good spirits according to the news yesterday, hours before she passed away.  George HW has been looking so shaky lately that I thought he'd be the first to go. 

I'm not a Republican, but I respect class, and she had it in spades.  She will be missed.

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, xaxat said:

To his final days, Bruno remained a superstar in Pittsburgh on par with anyone in the city's history.

And he met Bruno Mars, who was nicknamed after him.  How cool, Bruno Mars must have been beside himself with joy at that meeting.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I don't much like President Bush, and was pretty neutral on Barbara Bush (good qualities, indeed, but tell the Hurricane Katrina refugees crammed into the Astrodome or the Iraq war casualties about her tact and compassion), but after a 73-year-marriage, in which she was seemingly the emotional strength, I can't imagine how he felt watching her final hours.  He probably figured he would die first, and probably would have found it easier to do so.  But she lived a very long life, loved and was loved, and was able to die somewhat on her own terms, and I imagine those who loved her will take great comfort in that when the grief fades a bit.

On 4/17/2018 at 1:53 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Not a TV celebrity, but a celebrity in his own right.

NPR Newscaster Carl Kasell Dies At 84, After A Lifelong Career On-Air

I sat in a parking lot yesterday listening to his obituary on All Things Considered, as I'd arrived at my destination but wanted to stay and revel in his contributions to news radio and public broadcasting.

• Love 23

If you only know songs by their singers, you have no idea how big a part of music Randy Scruggs was as a musician, songwriter, and producer.  And when it comes the solo artist portion of his career, I knew at the time several people who worked with him and his many guest artists to produce Crown of Jewels and they all had nothing but good things to say.

• Love 4