Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

That's a big chunk of TV hsitory right there.   Steven Bochco did serious, Witt did funny.   And Witt did funny well.   RIP.

Yeah. He/his company also produced Benson, that I can remember, which I probably also could've mentioned in the obit link; but at the time I was writing it seemed as if there were way more shows produced by him/his company to mention besides Benson, & I thought I was running out of room in the link. 

I also didn't wanna make it seem like I was listing all of his (best-known) producer credits, so I stopped before Benson, even though I actually grew up watching at least most of the shows he (& his partners) produced, starting with The Partridge Family & going all the way at least through Soap & Benson (the latter was a spinoff of the former, if nobody else remembers), & The Golden Girls & Empty Nest (again, if nobody remembers, the latter show was a spinoff of the former).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

That's a big chunk of TV hsitory right there.   Steven Bochco did serious, Witt did funny.   And Witt did funny well.   RIP.

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Yeah. He/his company also produced Benson, that I can remember, which I probably also could've mentioned in the obit link; but at the time I was writing it seemed as if there were way more shows produced by him/his company to mention besides Benson, & I thought I was running out of room in the link. 

I also didn't wanna make it seem like I was listing all of his (best-known) producer credits, so I stopped before Benson, even though I actually grew up watching at least most of the shows he (& his partners) produced, starting with The Partridge Family & going all the way at least through Soap & Benson (the latter was a spinoff of the former, if nobody else remembers), & The Golden Girls & Empty Nest (again, if nobody remembers, the latter show was a spinoff of the former).

Yes, Witt was to 70s and 80s sitcoms what Bochco and Spelling were to 70s and 80s dramas.  And he will be terribly missed.  Thank you, Mr. Witt, and rest in peace!

• Love 1

At last we have a link evidently confirming it. Tracy Nelson has announced that her mother Kris Harmon Nelson Tinker has died at age 72. I'll say that she was a very talented painter who, somewhat like Grandma Moses, painted somewhat deep subjects disguised as simple sketches. It's nice to see that the family evidently had made their peace with each other despite a not always smooth history before her death. On an admittedly shallow note, she was a stunner and it's easy to see what attracted the late Rick Nelson to her. RIP, Ms. Nelson.

Edited by Blergh
sketches
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Blergh said:

At last we have a link evidently confirming it. Tracy Nelson has announced that her mother Kris Harmon Nelson Tinker has died at age 72. I'll say that she was a very talented painter who, somewhat like Grandma Moses, painted somewhat deep subjects disguised as simple sketched. It's nice to see that the family evidently had made their peace with each other despite a not always smooth history before her death. On an admittedly shallow note, she was a stunner and it's easy to see what attracted the late Rick Nelson to her. RIP, Ms. Nelson.

???

• Love 1
12 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Mike Myers remembers Verne Troyer:

Mike looks like he's put on some weight. I think so, anyway. I liked that he & Verne Troyer seem to have had a good relationship though.

35 minutes ago, janie jones said:

What I noticed was his hair.  The last time I saw a picture of him, he had a full head of grey hair, so I was surprised to see it dyed.

Yes, I was happy to see the grey.  Men look much younger when they leave it alone.  Take note, Paul McCartney.

• Love 6
On 5/5/2018 at 2:04 PM, WarnerCL45 said:

Yes, I was happy to see the grey.  Men look much younger when they leave it alone.  Take note, Paul McCartney.

That's what you think.  There's a reason men dye it once it starts to go gray.  The problem arises when they overdo it or don't pick a shade that's as close to their original, natural haircolor as possible.  Never go more than one shade darker or lighter than your original hair color -- THAT'S what makes you look older. And shave the facial hair altogether -- that also tends to add 10 years to a man's appearance!

• Love 8
1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

The problem arises when they overdo it or don't pick a shade that's as close to their original, natural haircolor as possible.  Never go more than one shade darker or lighter than your original hair color -- THAT'S what makes you look older. And shave the facial hair altogether -- that also tends to add 10 years to a man's appearance!

I'm pretty sure the reason is because they think they look younger.  Not so.  Jon Bon Jovi looks a lot younger since he stopped the color.    I'm saying that the color is mostly too dark, with no nuance.  I would advise having it done by a professional, not standing over the sink in the bathroom.  The best look (sarcasm) is the dyed hair with a grey beard or mustache - what's that all about?

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

I'm pretty sure the reason is because they think they look younger.  Not so.  Jon Bon Jovi looks a lot younger since he stopped the color.    I'm saying that the color is mostly too dark, with no nuance.  I would advise having it done by a professional, not standing over the sink in the bathroom.  The best look (sarcasm) is the dyed hair with a grey beard or mustache - what's that all about?

That's exactly my point.  Most men will pick a shade that is too dark, and that's what makes them look older because it doesn't look natural.  As I said, the rule of thumb -- which women have known for years -- is to never pick a shade that is more than one shade darker or lighter than your natural color. Subtlety is the key.  People aren't supposed to be able to tell that you're coloring your hair.

As for the dyed hair with gray facial hair?  That's just ridiculous.  Shave the damn thing off if you want to lose years off your face.  Otherwise, you're not fooling anyone, and you look absolutely pathetic!

• Love 2

A very sudden death in my home state last night.

Kevin Kamenetz--Baltimore County Executive, and one of many candidates in Maryland's Democratic Primary for Governor next month--died last night from cardiac arrest after a heart attack. He was only 60.

Maryland's primary is on June 26th, so chances are his name (and that of his running mate; candidates for Governor/Lieutenant Governor run on a ticket there) is already on the ballot, and cannot be removed.

I never officially met him, but I saw him at an event less than a year ago. I'm in shock.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/g00/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-kevin-kamenetz-ill-20180510-story.html?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3D&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=14

• Love 2

Yes, that was a shock.  I'm in NOVA but I've been following the MD race for Governor.   Rushern Baker was talking about the stress of campaigning and I wonder if that might have been a contributing factor. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

???????????

Miss Kidder breathed FAR more life and far more dimensions into Lois Lane than ANY previous or subsequent performer has thusfar (and far beyond the confines of the script) . Not easy to take an iconic joke character but somehow turn her into someone with heart that everyone including Superman could truly fall in love with. Here's hoping she had some peace the last part of her life! RIP, Miss Kidder.

• Love 18

*wails*

I had a lot of issues with how the movies portrayed Lois, particularly how she treated Clark like a doormat, but I didn't love her any less. She was fun, she was feisty, and even if she was a damsel in distress a lot of the time, she was in no way weak. Love her punching out Zod's henchwomen in Superman II: "You're a real PAIN IN THE NECK!" 

It breaks my heart that she had so many issuesafterward, though it seemed like she was doing better.

So now I have yet ANOTHER reason to bawl the next time "Can You Read My Mind" comes on my mom's stationn.

Hope she says hi to Chris for us.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I had a lot of issues with how the movies portrayed Lois, particularly how she treated Clark like a doormat, but I didn't love her any less. She was fun, she was feisty, and even if she was a damsel in distress a lot of the time, she was in no way weak. Love her punching out Zod's henchwomen in Superman II: "You're a real PAIN IN THE NECK!" 

I don't even think movie Lois treated Clark like a doormat(especially compared to the post revamp Byrne version and the animated series version voiced by Dana Delaney). Clark to her was this kind of dorky co-worker and she even went on a date with him(the same night she interviewed Superman and he flew her around the city).

The ending of Superman II where Clark makes Lois forget he's Superman just by kissing her is rightly derided but what leads up to it Kidder is heartbreaking:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Miss Kidder breathed FAR more life and far more dimensions into Lois Lane than ANY previous or subsequent performer has thusfar (and far beyond the confines of the script).

Two words:  Teri Hatcher.

That said, RIP, Ms. Kidder!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

So now I have yet ANOTHER reason to bawl the next time "Can You Read My Mind" comes on my mom's station.

Yes, I'm afraid Superman's not going to be able to fix this one by going back in time.  :(

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

So now I have yet ANOTHER reason to bawl the next time "Can You Read My Mind" comes on my mom's stationn.

That and "The Princess Leia" theme will now always make me tear up a little.

image.png.64e96f90ddfe9b37d40c37794eb60cc6.png

1e880513dd7f9121067bafffe8af8841.jpg

Tributes from her fellow Lois Lanes.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 12