Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

We also lost Sir Roger Bannister.   The first person to break the 4 minute mile.   Some may curse his name (not really) while running but he made history.  RIP Sir Roger.

• Love 2

I also loved Major Charles Emerson Winchester III. He made an excellent foil to Hawkeye and BJ, but he was allowed to grow and deepen instead of growing more narrow like Frank Burns. In addition to those moments already mentioned, I was most deeply touched by the episode where Charles becomes obsessed with death after nearly getting killed. And that final episode with the Korean musicians was truly heartbreaking. His breaking his record was one of the saddest moments of the finale, right up there with Hawkeye's horror story about the bus.

For those who loved his letter to Virginia (the girl who sent him the leaf), here is a sweet fanfiction about how their correspondence might have continued.

My favorite funny Winchester speech: 

"Know this. You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer!" 

RIP David Ogden Stiers.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Which is interesting since like Raymond Burr, David had a liking for the gentlemen.  I just found out that David came out of the closet in 2009.  How did that somehow escape my attention?

But unlike Raymond Burr, David Ogden Stiers apparently wasn't in a relationship when he died. When he came out in 2009, in this & other media outlets, David Ogden Stiers stated that among his reasons for finally coming out was because he wanted to spend his life's twilight "being who I am"; he wanted to find someone to settle down with, & he didn't "desire to force any potential partner to live a life of extreme discretion with me." So I think if David Ogden Stiers had been lucky enough to find someone with whom he had a "more than casual" relationship since he came out, that probably would've been mentioned in his obit in addition to/instead of his coming out in 2009.

Raymond Burr was in a longterm relationship with actor-turned-production consultant-turned-orchid-grower-turned-winemaker Robert Benevides  when he died. Their relationship lasted about 33 years, 1960-Raymond Burr's 1993 death (ironically from kidney cancer, not entirely unlike David Ogden Stiers' death). The interview linked is from 2017, from (I think) a lifestyle-type publication aimed at the gay community. Benevides has subsequently apparently sold the Raymond Burr Winery, perhaps as far back as in 2013.

• Love 8

This is probably (at least) a little off topic, but since we're so often bringing up the refrain "Fuck Cancer!" here, whether it be in discussing the passing of favorite celebs or (briefly) mentioning the passing of loved ones, from the illness or effects of it, I thought I might pass along this link, which I found in a sponsored ad on 1 of my social media pages: I Do Not Like Cancer. It's a 2-page section, from a larger website, of actually funny T-shirts (think Dr. Seuss' "I do not like green eggs and ham" speech redone to reflect a dislike for cancer) & other merchandise aimed at those dealing with the illness & their loved ones. I think my favorite item(s) are the ones with the reworked Dr. Seuss passage.

• Love 7
(edited)

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences damn well better include Robert Osborne in their In Memoriam tribute or I'm going to be mad.  

Edited by MissAlmond
corrected name
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I also loved Major Charles Emerson Winchester III. He made an excellent foil to Hawkeye and BJ, but he was allowed to grow and deepen instead of growing more narrow like Frank Burns. In addition to those moments already mentioned, I was most deeply touched by the episode where Charles becomes obsessed with death after nearly getting killed. And that final episode with the Korean musicians was truly heartbreaking. His breaking his record was one of the saddest moments of the finale, right up there with Hawkeye's horror story about the bus.

I loved so many scenes already mentioned but especially the one with Korean musicians. Breaks my heart every time.

• Love 2

I hate to be a contrarian , but I never really liked MASH. I'm old enough to remember it first run in the 70's, and my Dad liked it ( it was his favorite show, in fact.) My feeling was that anything my Dad liked and thought was funny had to be terrible (kids, you know !). When I was older, I never watched it in syndication and to this day, I still have no desire to watch it. I've seen a few episodes fully, and that was enough.

I will say, though,  that I really enjoyed David OS in the Dead Zone series that was on USA some years back. The first few seasons of that show were really good, and he played a character that pretty slimy and he did it well. I've seen him in a couple other things but, at the moment, I can't think of them. But if you enjoyed the Dead Zone movie and have a chance, check out the series.

• Love 7

When I was in third grade, our class had a field trip to the town's performing arts hall to see a performance of "Peter and the Wolf."  I was pleasantly surprised when David Ogden Stiers did the reading that accompanied the music.  He did a wonderful job, and the kids were excited to have seen a real celebrity!  (It was maybe a year after M*A*S*H had ended.)  I hadn't known his connection to our town, but he actually was in the first graduating class of our neighborhood high school.  My freshman typing teacher, who enjoyed telling stories, spoke fondly of Mr. Stiers and the performances he would give in various productions.  She was probably a contemporary of his, as I don't think she was old enough to have taught him.  She was understandably proud of being able to say she knew him way back when.

• Love 10
(edited)

I've always loved David Ogden Stiers. I remember hating his vile character in ABC's adaptation of John Jakes' North and South; then he had several guest stints on Murder, She Wrote. And he provided his voice for Solovar in the animated Justice League.

4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I know!  I was checking.

The Oscars memoriam was nicely done but it still never moves me the way TCM Remembers does.  

Well, they skipped over Stiers, which peeved me, because they memorialized a Bollywood actress, who had never appeared in any Hollywood films, and who had died just a week before the Oscars, yet they couldn't add Stiers in? And someone mentioned they probably did it for diversity appeal, etc, but they already had that in remembering another Bollywood actor, who in comparison, was an ICON, and who had actually appeared in a couple of Hollywood films in his prime.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

The Oscars Memorial thread did NOT include Rose Marie who died in December at age 94- having had a 90 year career on stage, screen, radio, television capped off with a documentary  (Wait for Your Laugh)of  said career released last year! Boo!

• Love 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well, they skipped over Stiers, which peeved me, because they memorialized a Bollywood actress, who had never appeared in any Hollywood films, and who had died just two days before the Oscars, yet they couldn't add Stiers in? And someone mentioned they probably did it for diversity appeal, etc, but they already had that in remembering another Bollywood actor, who in comparison, was an ICON, and who had actually appeared in a couple of Hollywood films in his prime.

No, that actress (Sridevi) died February 24.  I didn't except Striers to be included exactly because his death was a day before the Oscars.   I do expect him to be included next year.  Now, after saying all that, I do recall thinking wow that list seems short but couldn't remember why I felt that way. I was too lazy to double check with TCM Remembers (who, by the way, has also missed people who die mid-late December) and was so happy they didn't forget Robert, I let it drop.  This morning, I see an article stating the In Memoriam didn't include Dorothy Malone, who WON AN OSCAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So I'm back to my long held personal belief the Academy needs to outsource this tribute to someone who gives a damn about their own history.   

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 10
(edited)
27 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

No, that actress (Sridevi) died February 24

*MEEP!* Right! Last week was a big giant blur. But my position on her even being included still stands: She was a Bollywood actress; never acted or guest starred in any Hollywood movies, so still think she shouldn't have been in it.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
(edited)

The Academy has a strange relationship with their own history when it comes to their Oscar In Memoriam tributes.  It seems if someone worked in the industry but lived a long life, they either don't include them or minimize their accomplishments.  I still haven't forgotten how they didn't include Charles Lane, a character actor who starred in countless movies and was a founding member of SAG.  Or (IMO) the short shift they gave Shirley Temple whose movies not only saved a studio but remains the template for child stardom.  They also seem to care much more about the person singing the tribute than the people in the tribute itself.  TCM Remembers isn't perfect but they pay more respect to those who once worked in the industry than the Academy does itself.  

#rantover

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 11
(edited)
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

The Oscars Memorial thread did NOT include Rose Marie who died in December at age 94- having had a 90 year career on stage, screen, radio, television capped off with a documentary  (Wait for Your Laugh)of  said career released last year! Boo!

Would you have any idea if the documentary about her should've been eligible this year, or should it be next year? I just wondered because I was following her Twitter account before she died (& I still follow it), & as much as I can about the documentary since then, as well. Based on all the positive response I've seen to it, I was expecting it had to be a shoo-in for a Documentary nomination this year, & when it didn't get 1 I didn't know if I should be disappointed, or if it still has a shot next year. It certainly seems like it should have been/should be at least nominated.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove extraneous boldface type.
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

The Academy has a strange relationship with their own history when it comes to their Oscar In Memoriam tributes.  It seems if someone worked in the industry but lived a long life, they either don't include them or minimize their accomplishments.  I still haven't forgotten how they didn't include Charles Lane, a character actor who starred in countless movies and was a founding member of SAG.  Or (IMO) the short shift they gave Shirley Temple whose movies not only saved a studio but remains the template for child stardom.  They also seem to care much more about the person singing the tribute than the people in the tribute itself.  TCM Remembers isn't perfect but they pay more respect to those who once worked in the industry than the Academy does itself.  

#rantover

I think they were complaining, over in the Academy Awards thread, that there seemed to be too many "behind the scenes" people at least most viewers wouldn't know shown, & not enough people shown who at least most viewers would know. And, since David Ogden Stiers just died/it was announced late Saturday night, I think I can give The Academy a pass on not including him this year. He should be in the Emmys' In Memoriam this year, for sure. If he's not in the Oscars' tribute next year, I guess we can assume he either wasn't an Academy member, & you have to be to even be in the running to be included, or he wasn't included because he didn't do that much film work/wasn't as big a film name in comparison with others who were included.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Would you have any idea if the documentary about her should've been eligible this year, or should it be next year? I just wondered because I was following her Twitter account before she died (& I still follow it), & as much as I can about the documentary since then, as well. Based on all the positive response I've seen to it, I was expecting it had to be a shoo-in for a Documentary nomination this year, & when it didn't get 1 I didn't know if I should be disappointed, or if it still has a shot next year. It certainly seems like it should have been/should be at least nominated.

Yep, it SHOULD have qualified for this year (and Mrs. Guy as well as the director Jason West were quite disappointed that that documentary about Rose Marie didn't get a nom).  It also needs to be said that it wasn't just them interviewing her and showing random shopworn film clips that had been seen in the rerun circuit for decades but Mrs. Guy herself gave him full access to her own personal collection and guided him in his vision despite her advanced age and failing health! IOW, between ignoring this brilliant docu AND her 90 year career, they REALLY showed their willful obliviousness to her!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Blergh said:

Yep, it SHOULD have qualified for this year (and Mrs. Guy as well as the director Jason West were quite disappointed that that documentary about Rose Marie didn't get a nom).  It also needs to be said that it wasn't just them interviewing her and showing random shopworn film clips that had been seen in the rerun circuit for decades but Mrs. Guy herself gave him full access to her own personal collection and guided him in his vision despite her advanced age and failing health! IOW, between ignoring this brilliant docu AND her 90 year career, they REALLY showed their willful obliviousness to her!

It figures! I haven't seen it (being homebound because of illness really sucks)--maybe I'll have to get Netflix, or whatever, when/if it gets picked up by a streaming service, because I'm really interested in seeing it, although stuff like that isn't usually my "cup of tea". I guess watching reruns of Dick Van Dyke's show, & then seeing her on Hollywood Squares, Doris Day's show, & the zillion other recurring &/or 1-shot guest roles she did when I was growing up, made me like her enough to wanna watch the documentary.

I hope whomever won the Oscar in the category Rose Marie's (auto?)biographical documentary belonged in really appreciates the win. That's all I have to say about it. Wait for Your Laugh seemed like it had the "buzz", & the critical & audience response to have at least gotten a freaking nomination in the appropriate category. And I'm really disappointed for Jason Wise & his wife (they spent, what, 3 years--or almost--working on it, practically devoting themselves to it, it seemed like) & for Rose Marie's daughter, "Noopy" (aka Georgiana), her son-in-law, Peter Marshall, & all Rose Marie's loved ones who also contributed to the documentary that they didn't get what I see as their just reward for all their hard work.

By the way, I was kinda surprised to find out Rose Marie even had a (grownup) child. I knew she was married/widowed, but I don't remember ever reading/hearing anything about a child/children in her interviews over the years. I just figured Rose Marie & her husband were, maybe, too busy with their careers to start/have a family before his untimely death; or maybe 1 or both physically couldn't have children. If they just chose not to put her in the spotlight, it's a credit to that era, & to Rose Marie (& presumably her husband, before he died) that--unlike with many children of today's celebrities--very little, if anything, seems to have been known about Georgiana "Noopy" Guy until her mom's documentary release & subsequent, perhaps still untimely, death (even though she was in her mid-'90's) soon after the documentary was released.

14 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

She died this year.  She'll be in next year's in memoriam.

She died two days before Bollywood Actress Sridevi, and the latter was memorialized on a show for Hollywood actors.  And Sridevi never crossed over and even appeared in any Hollywood movie.

Yeah, I'm a broken record about this, but it all BITES! And I say this as someone who is East Indian. There are plenty of Indian film award shows over in India, where I'm sure Sridevi will be remembered.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I loved so many scenes already mentioned but especially the one with Korean musicians. Breaks my heart every time.

Mine, too.  That and the orphan’s SS gift are my favorite (out of f many), MajCEW 3rd moments.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

They also left out Nanette Fabray.  Granted, she was mainly known for television but she also did some films.

Yes, the only thing Hollywood knows about Nanette Fabray was she worked on television.  I guess that's why MGM included her musical numbers (including singing the title song with Fred Astaire) in "That's Entertainment".  Let me stop. . . 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 4
On 3/5/2018 at 2:53 PM, stonehaven said:

Della Reese was left out of the Dead Montage...and I swear Bill Paxton wasn't mentioned..unless he made last years...

I think Paxton was actually the first person in the montage.

I think a lot of the "omissions" are for people who had big careers in television, but not in film.  But who knows why they included the Indian actress.  The behind the scenes people who we wouldn't necessarily remember should be included because it takes hundreds of people to make a movie.  If you won or were nominated for an Oscar for sound editing you deserve to be included, you are part of the industry.

• Love 7
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, BW Manilowe said:

By the way, I was kinda surprised to find out Rose Marie even had a (grownup) child. I knew she was married/widowed, but I don't remember ever reading/hearing anything about a child/children in her interviews over the years. I just figured Rose Marie & her husband were, maybe, too busy with their careers to start/have a family before his untimely death; or maybe 1 or both physically couldn't have children. If they just chose not to put her in the spotlight, it's a credit to that era, & to Rose Marie (& presumably her husband, before he died) that--unlike with many children of today's celebrities--very little, if anything, seems to have been known about Georgiana "Noopy" Guy until her mom's documentary release & subsequent, perhaps still untimely, death (even though she was in her mid-'90's) soon after the documentary was released.

BW Manilowe, in her autobiography, Rose Marie talks a lot about her daughter.  She was born a year or two after RM and her husband married, and no further pregnancies happened.  RM said she would have liked more children but it just wasn't to be.  She also said that she regretted she did not have any grandchildren, but of course didn't get into whether Noopy and her husband decided not to have children or were unable to do so.  I also think because RM did not have a normal childhood due to her performing career, she was determined that her daughter would.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Gary Cruz, former sports guy on KCAL Channel 9 in L.A., and lately KPHO CBS5 in Phoenix, passes on at 68 of cancer.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/37683401/former-cbs-5-sports-anchor-gary-cruz-dead-at-68

To commemorate: these 1993 and 1994 KCAL openings, and one closing (several openings have Cruz)--

Also, here's what was said on one of them (John Young being the announcer):

"Now: Jerry Dunphy...Tawny Little...Carl Bell's weather...and Gary Cruz on sports. This is Prime 9 News at Ten: Southern California's most honored newscast."

Edited by bmasters9
Different time slots for the openings
11 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Gary Cruz, former sports guy on KCAL Channel 9 in L.A.,

Back when local news was watchable.  I met him in the mid-nineties when he was at KCAL, because a friend worked there briefly; he seemed like a personable guy.  And, yes, they did love to tease him about being in Independence Day (whether journalists should ever play themselves/fictional reporters on TV/film is a point of contention in the profession).

• Love 6

Givenchy and Audrey Hepburn - what a team.  Audrey had more style in her little finger than all the people on the Oscars' red carpet combined, and so much was due to Givenchy's elegant fashions.  I've always loved the movie "Charade" and a big part of that is how classy Audrey is in those beautiful outfits by Givenchy.  

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

RIP Stephen Hawkings.    

I didn't realize he was 76.  

He was the same age my late mother was when she passed away a little over 14 months ago.  Why does that seem so young now?

• Love 6