Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

This is tragic.  The Cranberries have been trying to make a comeback.  I will miss Dolores - she was an amazing singer.

I do worry about how she died.  It looks like from news from the past year that she was suffering from severe back pain, and it hindered her singing.

16 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

This is tragic.  The Cranberries have been trying to make a comeback.  I will miss Dolores - she was an amazing singer.

I do worry about how she died.  It looks like from news from the past year that she was suffering from severe back pain, and it hindered her singing.

She had been battling depression and was diagnosed as having bipolar disorder.

http://people.com/music/dolores-oriordan-dead-inside-difficult-life/

11 hours ago, Blergh said:

Hmm, that would mean he was only 34 or 35 tops when the former series debuted in 1978 so that would mean that Mr. Wilson DID have some insight into how differing generations viewed the takeover of rock on radio. In any case, he brought us a funny series so,RIP!

In The Hollywood Reporter's obit, which I think you linked to, it said he was born in August, 1943 (I forgot the day already). Wikipedia says WKRP (the original series--there was a brief, first-run syndicated sequel after the original ended, with some new characters & some from the original series; Hugh Wilson also was involved with the sequel) premiered on CBS on September 18, 1978. So, yeah; Hugh Wilson was 35 when the original show premiered.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Holy crap, an entire family gone because of a car crash :(. How utterly awful. And right around the holidays, too.

What a sad, sad story. 

Yep. Even worse, I think the article/obit I linked to said she was only 29, & her sister was only 21. Too young. 

This article, from the Australian news media, said--as you did--the entire Falkholt family died as a result of the crash. And, the dead driver from the other car had been arrested numerous times--I think I read something like 9 times--for the Australian equivalent of driving with a suspended license, presumably for the Australian equivalent of a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) or an DWI/OWI (Driving/Operating [a motor vehicle, etc.--NOT performing surgery] While Intoxicated, which is what I think we call it here in Indiana now). And I thought something like that might've been involved (DUI, DWI/OWI). Considering the physical devastation, I'm not sure it could've been due to anything else.

The Australian article says the other driver was on his way (presumably home) from a methadone clinic. A former Australian law enforcement person who seemed to be familiar with the apparently troubled dead driver--or at least with his legal record/"rap sheet"--said the guy had had his license suspended so much, for so long, they were surprised he was involved in this accident as 1 of the drivers--like they thought he should still be unable to drive from whenever his license had last been suspended (like people who are banned from driving won't keep doing it anyway).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To correct some info in my post.
  • Love 3

Holy crap, an entire family gone because of a car crash :(. How utterly awful. And right around the holidays, too.

What a sad, sad story. 

A woman, her fiancee, and a married couple friend of theirs were all killed in a car crash around Christmas here in the Sacramento area, and then just days later, the woman's sister was murdered by her boyfriend.

Wow. Yeah, I would say the same thing. Good lord, that's ridiculous. He should've been banned from ever driving again if he had that many incidents on his record. 

Well (as horrible as this is gonna sound), at least we/the people of Australia don't have to worry about that other driver, who shouldn't have even been 1, getting himself or anyone else killed or permanently injured/disabled through another accident since he managed to kill himself in this accident. But the death of this guy's really just "a drop in the bucket", as far as eradicating the problem of people driving under the influence of various intoxicating substances is concerned.

Edited by BW Manilowe
I forgot 1 important word in a sentence.
  • Love 3

Sadly people with suspended licenses will often drive anyway.    Which can lead to tragedy if it was suspended for reasons like DUI.   

That whole family.    it was her aunt and uncle who had to decide to switch off the life support.

15 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Sadly people with suspended licenses will often drive anyway.    Which can lead to tragedy if it was suspended for reasons like DUI.  

That whole family.    it was her aunt and uncle who had to decide to switch off the life support.

Regarding the bolded: That was my point; maybe I just worded it weirdly, again. Some people don't care if their license is suspended or not (or how it got suspended). They're gonna keep on driving anyway, either just to spite the court for taking away their license or because losing their license means they can't go to work, because they can't arrange alternate transportation, & if they can't go to work it'd cause a financial hardship for them/their family.

Yeah that was sad about the Aunt & Uncle having to decide to remove their niece's life support. But if her parents had survived, it would've been up to them; and who knows if they'd have been ready to do that or not.

• Love 1

Late on commenting on Dolores O'Riordan's death. "Zombie" by the Cranberries has a permanent part of my teenage memories. That whole early-mid 90s era I'm feeling nostalgic for lately.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

I would have never guessed Tom Petty to OD. Just too young either way.

Keep in mind, the reports are that his overdose was accidental.  He was using Fentanyl patches for pain relief.  They're very dangerous.  Any elevation of body temperature (fever or even being in the sun or taking a hot bath/shower) while wearing them can cause them to release medication at too fast a pace causing a fatal overdose.  It can be very difficult to control the Fentanyl release.  They, combined with his other meds, were just more than his body could handle.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Dorothy Malone, Oscar-Winning Actress in ‘Written on the Wind,’ ‘Peyton Place,’ Dies at 92

She was in The Big Sleep early in her career when Bogart's Phillip Marlowe walks into a bookstore and she's the clerk and there's that great flirtation between them. She's only in that one scene but she's so memorable. I love how they do the whole cliche "Wouldn't you look better without those glasses?" as if she wasn't even hotter wearing them!

big-sleep.jpg

• Love 4

From Rolling Stone:

"Despite this painful injury, he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury," Petty's wife Dana and daughter Adria wrote in the statement.  "On the day he died, he was informed his hip had graduated to a full-on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his overuse of medication."

At some point, I'd think you put your health ahead of your fans.  This was kinda nuts, IMO.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

From Rolling Stone:

At some point, I'd think you put your health ahead of your fans.  This was kinda nuts, IMO.

That's what I was thinking.   If he had just not toured he might have been able to take it easy.   If he wasn't touring he might not have been in so much pain.   If he wasn't in so much pain he might not have need such heavy pain meds.   If he hadn't needed such heavy pain meds he might not have overdosed.

For want of a nail ... a legend was lost.

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

From Rolling Stone:

Agreed.  True fans always understand this sort of thing, and in fact are the first ones to insist that their celebrity's health is more important than anything.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Agreed.  True fans always understand this sort of thing, and in fact are the first ones to insist that their celebrity's health is more important than anything.

Especially since as he aged, his fans were aging too, with all the health challenges people begin to face in their 50s and 60s.  We would have understood!  Such a waste.  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

From Rolling Stone:

I dunno, I think it is more likely that he was on tour because he really needed the money. There are lots of aging actors and musicians who made millions back in the day but spent it all as fast as they earned it instead if investing a portion of it to ensure they had an income in the future so they wouldn't have to work when they were old and in poor health.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

She was in The Big Sleep early in her career when Bogart's Phillip Marlowe walks into a bookstore and she's the clerk and there's that great flirtation between them. She's only in that one scene but she's so memorable. I love how they do the whole cliche "Wouldn't you look better without those glasses?" as if she wasn't even hotter wearing them!

big-sleep.jpg

I'm sure she had a lot of fine performances, but I also thought of this flirtation between them in The Big Sleep right away.  RIP Dorothy Malone.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Tunia said:

Keep in mind, the reports are that his overdose was accidental.  He was using Fentanyl patches for pain relief.  They're very dangerous.  Any elevation of body temperature (fever or even being in the sun or taking a hot bath/shower) while wearing them can cause them to release medication at too fast a pace causing a fatal overdose.  It can be very difficult to control the Fentanyl release.  They, combined with his other meds, were just more than his body could handle.

That blows my mind! I had no idea those pain patches were so variable.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, riley702 said:

That blows my mind! I had no idea those pain patches were so variable.

Extremely so.  The Fentanyl gel is body heat regulated and very easily absorbed through the skin.  Any gel that may get on fingers during patch application needs to be washed off immediately because even that small amount can cause an overdose.  Fentanyl is 100 times as strong as morphine and needs to be treated with respect.

Here's one warning from https://www.rxlist.com/duragesic-drug.htm:

Exposure To Heat

Exposure of the DURAGESIC application site and surrounding area to direct external heat credits, such as heating pads or electric blankets, heat or tanning lamps, sunbathing, hot baths, saunas, hot tubs, and heated water beds may increase fentanyl absorption and has resulted in fatal overdose of fentanyl and death [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]. Patients wearing DURAGESIC systems who develop fever or increased core body temperature due to strenuous exertion are also at risk for increased fentanyl exposure and may require an adjustment in the dose of DURAGESIC to avoid overdose and death

and Mayo Clinic's excellent explanation:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/fentanyl-transdermal-route/precautions/drg-20068152

Edited by Tunia

I know someone who uses those Fentanyl patches at home. He has to supplement them with oycodone. The Dr just kept upping his dosage until he got to a point where nothing was working. IMO he was taking enough to kill a rhinoceros. Fast forward to him needing surgery last week. He had to be hospitalized for a week pre-surgery to lessen his medication because the Drs were afraid of getting enough anesthesia into him for the actual surgery and for any drug to give him relief post surgery. Just very scary to me. I (hate to but) blame the Drs for allowing his dosage to get so high and not trying to implement any other techniques for pain relief (acupuncture, massage therapy, meditation etc.).