Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

On 1/21/2018 at 6:59 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I know someone who uses those Fentanyl patches at home. He has to supplement them with oycodone. The Dr just kept upping his dosage until he got to a point where nothing was working. IMO he was taking enough to kill a rhinoceros. Fast forward to him needing surgery last week. He had to be hospitalized for a week pre-surgery to lessen his medication because the Drs were afraid of getting enough anesthesia into him for the actual surgery and for any drug to give him relief post surgery. Just very scary to me. I (hate to but) blame the Drs for allowing his dosage to get so high and not trying to implement any other techniques for pain relief (acupuncture, massage therapy, meditation etc.). 

That is super scary, indeed. And it always goes back to cardiac arrest or someone with a history of heart problems. Same thing with River Phoenix, Michael Jackson, and Corey Haim. A lot of people don't realize that the heart muscle is the most important organ that keeps you going and mixing it with other drugs just makes it even more at risk for your health. Especially if the person ages, your entire body is at risk if you take chances like that. There is always so much a body can take and once it is damaged, there is no turning back.

42 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Hypothermia?  That means he froze to death.  How is that even possible in 2018?

Easier than one would think.  I don't know the details of his death, but the problem with hypothermia is that people actually start to feel warm as their body temperature drops.  My guess is that people who live in cold climates know the danger signs, but those who aren't used to regular cold temperatures may not know what is happening.

9 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Easier than one would think.  I don't know the details of his death, but the problem with hypothermia is that people actually start to feel warm as their body temperature drops.  My guess is that people who live in cold climates know the danger signs, but those who aren't used to regular cold temperatures may not know what is happening.

According to the Daily Mail, which first broke the story, he died from hypothermia after collapsing on the streets of Liverpool.  Liverpool isn't exactly known for having mild winter temperatures, especially in mid-to-late January, but I can't think that it would ever get cold enough for a man to freeze to death when he's obviously just been walking about -- and I can't imagine that he would have suddenly collapsed in public without people noticing and trying to help him.  There's just something that seems to be missing from the story for it to make any sense to me.

Edited by legaleagle53
On 12/29/2017 at 7:20 PM, Hanahope said:

This is why George Martin needs to suck it up and finish the damn books.  At least Graftons books were mostly self contained. 

Or Martin at least needs to do what Robert Jordan did, when he became ill enough to know he wouldn't be able to finish the Wheel of Time series: leave extremely detailed notes with all major and most minor plot points resolved, so that someone could come in and finish the series.  The author (Brandon Sanderson) who was selected to finish out the series was adequate and did a decent job of mimicking Jordan's writing style, so I am okay with having another author end it, although I read a few of Sanderson's own books enough to get annoyed and quit reading those. With Grafton's books, though, I just don't think it's necessary as there wasn't some overarching plot going on from book to book. I really wish she had made it to Z, though. I have a dress in my closet that I think of as my "Kinsey Millhone" dress.

3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

According to the Daily Mail, which first broke the story, he died from hypothermia after collapsing on the streets of Liverpool.  Liverpool isn't exactly known for having mild winter temperatures, especially in mid-to-late January, but I can't think that it would ever get cold enough for a man to freeze to death when he's obviously just been walking about -- and I can't imagine that he would have suddenly collapsed in public without people noticing and trying to help him.  There's just something that seems to be missing from the story for it to make any sense to me.

For some reason, I wasn't able to pull up the article, so I don't know the details.  But, just from what you've told me, it does sound like either alcohol was involved or some other health issue was at play.

8 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

For some reason, I wasn't able to pull up the article, so I don't know the details.  But, just from what you've told me, it does sound like either alcohol was involved or some other health issue was at play.

I agree with you; (you'd think) there had to be something more to this besides hypothermia (& all I've read about it is the info in the link I originally posted)--like a "medical emergency" (as the press calls it when somebody does something unexpected & strange, like driving their car into a building) resulting, somehow, in the hypothermia getting to a fatal stage before he was found. I just don't think there's any way someone can die by hypothermia in any way other than accidentally--unless maybe they stage their own disappearance (get rid of their car, somehow) then somehow get themselves somewhere they won't be found easily before hypothermia can set in fatally. Obviously, if the death wasn't meant to be accidental, they'd have to figure out how to keep from being found before things were irreversible.

On 1/20/2018 at 6:22 AM, legaleagle53 said:
On 1/20/2018 at 5:37 AM, Inquisitionist said:

From Rolling Stone:

At some point, I'd think you put your health ahead of your fans.  This was kinda nuts, IMO.

Agreed.  True fans always understand this sort of thing, and in fact are the first ones to insist that their celebrity's health is more important than anything.

Sounds like perhaps his family would rather have his death be viewed as accidental overdose due to pain rather than the implication he was a drug addict. 

12 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

You also move into a state of euphoria so feel no need to yell for help.  

On 1/20/2018 at 11:51 AM, orza said:

There are lots of aging actors and musicians who made millions back in the day but spent it all as fast as they earned it instead if investing a portion of it to ensure they had an income in the future so they wouldn't have to work when they were old and in poor health.

The advent of streaming music really screwed up the financial plans of a lot of older musicians. Spotify, Apple Music etc. don't pay nearly as much royalty money as LPs and CDs, so many musicians saw a revenue stream that they had lived on for decades dry up over the last five plus years. 

• Love 1
On 1/24/2018 at 3:12 PM, Willowsmom said:

TMZ ia now saying possible overdose.

People says his family has gone to Puerto Rico to ID the body. The cruise he was on was apparently a 7-Day Caribbean cruise for gay people--the ship was chartered by a company specializing in booking cruises to gay clientele; legendary singer/actress (& gay icon, at least to some) Olivia Newton-John was on the ship, along with her husband; she had performed for the passengers the night before. TMZ said, in connection with the possible overdose theory, the cruise ship involved was supposedly a "zero tolerance" ship regarding drug use.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove an extraneous comma.
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

94?!  VERY good run. It's not my fave but I like it due to the fact that (apart from Zero) all the characters have the capacity of being likable and annoying as well as being funny. Oh, and I thought it was telling of what a good sense of humor Mr. Walker had about himself when he disclosed that the officious, kiss- up officer Lt. Fuzz was based on . . .HIMSELF! RIP, Mr. Walker.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Not just Beetle Bailey, either.  He also drew Hi and Lois (which was about Beetle's cousin or sister, I'm not sure which Lois was) and Hagar the Horrible.  RIP, Mort!

Lois is Beetle's sister.

• Love 3
On 1/24/2018 at 3:23 PM, BetterButter said:

Mark E Smith dead: The Fall's lead singer dies aged 60

My  favorite band of the last forty years- only the Kinks might be more important for me.  He'd been sick but I am crushed.  Him AND Ursula Le Guin.   NO.

• Love 2

Investigative journalist Robert Parry dies at 68

http://www.latimes.com/sns-bc-us--obit-parry-20180129-story.html

Robert Parry, a longtime investigative journalist who was a Pulitzer Prize finalist in 1985 for his Associated Press exclusives about the CIA's production of an assassination manual for Nicaraguan rebels, has died. He was 68.

Parry died Saturday in hospice care after a series of strokes brought on by undiagnosed pancreatic cancer, said his wife, Diane Duston.

He also ran one of my favorite online news sources, consortiumnews.com. 

Too young.  And the obligatory FUCK CANCER. 

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 6