Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Just now, Jaded said:

Carrie lived next door to Debbie. Carrie's daughter would go back and forth between the houses. How awful for Carrie's daughter and siblings. I can't imagine how awful it would have been if my Nana and Mom had died within days of each other.

Todd must be a wreck.  He lost his sister and mother in 24 hours.   I can't imagine what's happening in his mind.  

• Love 7

This is crazy. I wondered if the pain of losing her daughter caused the stroke, but had some hope that she'd survive it. That poor family. 

I just loved Debbie in In and Out. How determined she was for some beauty in her life :)

• Love 5

This is so damn tragic. Along with Todd and Billie there's also Joely and Tricia (their mom is still alive BTW) to think about. I am a wreck and I keep thinking all these deaths are prepping us for something far worse like World War III. I'm serious about this.

I hate 2016 so much and 2017 is going to be even worse.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 5

Fine you win 2016.   You are totally badass proving that you can inflict such pain on people by taking so many beloved people in one year.   now that I've acknowledged it can you stop trying to prove it?

I just feel for that family.   Regardless of how we knew Ms. Reynolds from her work, a family has lost a mother, a grandmother and many people have lost a friend.  

It's just too much.   

• Love 12

That poor family.  I lost a sibling very suddenly a few years ago, and the family was terrified for my mother, then in her late 80s.  She mourned her child so deeply, but did not die until just over a year later.  I cannot imagine losing her the same week.  My heart breaks for Todd, Billie, and the extended family. 

• Love 6

How surreal and utterly heartbreaking that both a mother and a daughter pass within one day of each other. But I have a feeling Debbie is happier being with her beloved daughter now. That said, I cannot imagine the pain her son, Todd, and granddaughter are enduring. I hope they can find solace with each other and his half sisters.

2016, I can't wait for YOU to go.

• Love 13

We couldn't even go a day. Not ONE FUCKING DAY.

Debbie was the original America's Sweetheart. A real classy dame. After the scandal of Eddie Fisher and Liz Taylor, I wonder if it's a little fitting that out of that whole triangle, she was the last one standing. But on the other hand, it's cool that she did make peace with Liz in later years.

Goodbye, Charlotte the spider.

• Love 15

Debbie dying so quickly after her daughter is poignant and exhilarating to me, not sad. Not at all.  For those who will miss her, of course, but I mean the bigger picture.  I suppose it all depends on your beliefs.  

There has to be something after death. It is a natural transition. We all do it.  How sweet to think that maybe we do meet the people who have been key in our lives when we make this transition. And is it not extraordinarily cool that Debbie left to join her daughter right after her death?  I say hell yes!  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

We couldn't even go a day. Not ONE FUCKING DAY.

Debbie was the original America's Sweetheart. A real classy dame. After the scandal of Eddie Fisher and Liz Taylor, I wonder if it's a little fitting that out of that whole triangle, she was the last one standing. But on the other hand, it's cool that she did make peace with Liz in later years.

Goodbye, Charlotte the spider.

Oh my.  I forgot she was Charlotte's voice.    I'm 49 and still love that movie.  It was just on a few days ago.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, wings707 said:

There has to be something after death.

Why?  I understand the desire to want to believe this, but I think it's much more likely that after death is like before birth:  nothing.

That said, the timing re Ms. Reynolds' passing strikes me as incredibly cruel for her son and granddaughter.  RIP, Kathy Selden.

• Love 10

It's like 2016 is dragging its grimey, decrepit fingers holding onto what's left of 2016 and grabbing anything it can before it takes the final plunge into the deep.

Poor Billie and Todd.  How do you ever look at this holiday season again without feeling a deep sense of loss?  I had a close family friend's child pass at the end of May five years ago now, and whenever that date looms, I'm filled with awful dread and sadness for their loss.  I hope they are able to hold on to those they hold dear and get through their grief together.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, MissT said:

Oh my.  I forgot she was Charlotte's voice.    I'm 49 and still love that movie.  It was just on a few days ago.  

For those of a more recent era (who wouldn't remember her from the MGM Musicals, her film role as "Tammy", her NBC sitcom, or Charlotte's Web, among other things), Debbie Reynolds also had a recurring role in Will & Grace, as Grace's mother, Bobbi Adler.

• Love 3
Just now, Inquisitionist said:

Why?  I understand the desire to want to believe this, but I think it's much more likely that after death is like before birth:  nothing.

That said, the timing re Ms. Reynolds' passing strikes me as incredibly cruel for her son and granddaughter.  RIP, Kathy Selden.

Yeah, I hear you. As I said, it is all about belief. Karl Marks said religion is the opiate for the masses. Could be. No one really knows. 

• Love 2

The only thing coming to mind right now is "Well, this blows", but that seems like a massive understatement.  

45 minutes ago, halopub said:

I'd also like to think of Debbie and Gene Kelly dancing on some sofas somewhere.

I love Gene Kelly (gorgeous man and gorgeous dancer), but based on both of their descriptions of how he treated her on set, I hope she gives him a swift kick in the balls first.

2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

For those of a more recent era (who wouldn't remember her from the MGM Musicals, her film role as "Tammy", her NBC sitcom, or Charlotte's Web, among other things), Debbie Reynolds also had a recurring role in Will & Grace, as Grace's mother, Bobbi Adler.

This reminds me of one of my favorite throwaway jokes on Will & Grace - one that sadly, seemed lost on the audience because it didn't get a big laugh.  In one episode, Will and Jack are fighting over who knows Grace better, and Jack proudly proclaims that he knows Grace's middle name is Elizabeth because "Grace's mom LOVES Elizabeth Taylor!"  I guess maybe the Debbie Reynolds/Elizabeth Taylor/Eddie Fisher scandal was too far removed for the audience, because I thought it was a great joke but it didn't garner much of a response. 

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

This reminds me of one of my favorite throwaway jokes on Will & Grace - one that sadly, seemed lost on the audience because it didn't get a big laugh.  In one episode, Will and Jack are fighting over who knows Grace better, and Jack proudly proclaims that he knows Grace's middle name is Elizabeth because "Grace's mom LOVES Elizabeth Taylor!"  I guess maybe the Debbie Reynolds/Elizabeth Taylor/Eddie Fisher scandal was too far removed for the audience, because I thought it was a great joke but it didn't garner much of a response. 

Yes!

• Love 4

I'm an old movie freak and Debbie was the very definition of cute in Singin' in the Rain, the personification of buoyancy in The Unsinkable Molly Brown, an icon of innocence as Tammy.  And in her later years, absolute perfection as Albert Brooks' mom in Mother. 

I cannot imagine what it must be like for Billie right now, and Todd.  (And as silly as it may sound, poor Gary.)

This doesn't feel real, as if someone decided to make the ultimate holiday tearjerker film. 

RIP Debbie.  You and your daughter Carrie made one helluva team.

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 3

I'm devastated.  Like so many here, I grew up watching Debbie Reynolds, and she was always one of my favorite actresses and performers. I can only take consolation in the fact that she is with her daughter Carrie for all eternity now, and that she's also no doubt re-uniting with her own mother figure, Agnes Moorehead.  The two had a special type of mother-daughter relationship of their own and were very close up until Agnes passed away 42 years ago.  In fact, in the late 80s, Debbie had a chance to play an Endora-type character on Ann Jillian's show Jennifer Slept Here, and at first she thought that the way the character was written and dressed was a little over-the-top, until she heard Agnes' voice saying, "No, it's just right."

And as for you, 2016, I know at this point I'm wasting my breath asking, but can you please just give us these last three days without sucker-punching us yet again?

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 6
On 12/28/2016 at 10:06 PM, Inquisitionist said:

Those were Debbie's only children.  But Carrie and Todd had/have half-siblings through their father.

One being actress Joely Fisher. Joely also has a sister, Tricia Leigh Fisher, another half-sister to Carrie and Todd. Their mother is Connie Stevens.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Did Debbie Reynolds have other children?  I thought her only children were Carrie and Todd. 

Carrie & Todd (I think, but I'm not positive) had half-siblings from their father's marriage to Elizabeth Taylor. They definitely had half-siblings, sisters Joely (she starred in the Fox TV show Til Death, I think with Brad Garrett from Everybody Loves Raymond) & Tricia, from their father's marriage to singer/actress/TV personality Connie Stevens (she was mainly popular in the 1960's & 1970's). I don't know about any half-siblings from any relationships involving Eddie Fisher other than those 2 (mostly because I don't remember if he was married to anyone else besides Debbie, Elizabeth, & Connie).

48 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

How surreal and utterly heartbreaking that both a mother and a daughter pass within one day of each other

Something similar happened earlier this month in Australia.  Geoegia Blain, a novelist, died on December 9th from brain cancer, 3 days short of her 52nd birthday.  3 days later her mother, Anne Deveson, a writer and social activist, died at the age of 86, I believe from complications due to Alzheimer's.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Carrie & Todd (I think, but I'm not positive) had half-siblings from their father's marriage to Elizabeth Taylor. They definitely had half-siblings, sisters Joely (she starred in the Fox TV show Til Death, I think with Brad Garrett from Everybody Loves Raymond) & Tricia, from their father's marriage to singer/actress/TV personality Connie Stevens (she was mainly popular in the 1960's & 1970's). I don't know about any half-siblings from any relationships involving Eddie Fisher other than those 2 (mostly because I don't remember if he was married to anyone else besides Debbie, Elizabeth, & Connie).

I don't think Eddie Fisher had any kids with Liz Taylor. The other siblings were via Connie Stevens only.

2 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Something similar happened earlier this month in Australia.  Geoegia Blain, a novelist, died on December 9th from brain cancer, 3 days short of her 52nd birthday.  3 days later her mother, Anne Deveson, a writer and social activist, died at the age of 86, I believe from complications due to Alzheimer's.

That's heartbreaking, too.  :-(

• Love 1