Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

(edited)
18 hours ago, UYI said:

Sorry to go off-topic (sort of), but: really? Is it one of Alan Locher's reunions? 

4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Aw, her birthday is the day before mine! Also, do you have a link to the AMC reunion? 

This isn't one of Alan Locher's reunions. EW is hosting it. Here's the info -

https://ew.com/tv/ew-reunites-all-my-children-cast/

To make it more #GH related, Tamara Braun and Billy Miller will also be participating.

ETA: Oh, and Colonel Sanders.

Edited by tvgoddess
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Which is a shame. Does she not enter like Jane Elliot?

I think what happen back in the those days, the shows choose who they would submit for each category and they had limited spot (two per category). And their was always other actresses ahead of her after she age out of the younger actress category. 

Edited by gator12
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I remember Patrika Darbo (formerly Nancy on DOOL and Shirley on B&B; ultimately a Primetime Emmy winner) talking up Becky in an interview about the Daytime Emmys. This was a year in the early aughts that the nominations had come out and Becky had not received one. Darbo said Becky and another then-young actress (I can't recall) were two she had been encouraging people to look at.   

It is a little odd that she's only had three nominations in 20+ years. She doesn't always have material that's unquestionably "about" Liz, but she's frequently outstanding in other people's stories, and it would be hard to define "supporting" better.  

8 hours ago, UYI said:

I do think an honorary Juvenile Award would be a fair compromise, and I think the Oscars should probably have kept it too: look how awkward it is the few times kids are up against seasoned adults!

I don't know; I think movies are a little different. You're more likely to get a well-written role that's really at the center of a movie, with the guidance of a top director, as was the case when Anna Paquin won at 11 under Jane Campion's direction. I actually thought it was kind of cool in 2013 when the youngest Best Actress nominee ever (Quvenzhané Wallis, 9) competed with the oldest Best Actress nominee ever (Emmanuelle Riva, 85), and either of them would have been a defensible winner. But it went to Jennifer Lawrence, 21...who was playing older than her own age, and would have been in the "Younger" category had she been on a soap.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 1
(edited)

^^^^She was actually 22 when she won (she turned 23 later that year in August), but I see your point. :)

I seem to remember a story about how MB tried to play it safe one year by either staying or bumping himself back into the Supporting category, only for it to backfire when Ian Buchanan (then on B&B) beat him for the award. (Duke beat Sonny! Hee!)

ETA: I did notice that Becky's third nomination was in 2012 (Jake's "death"). Even if she doesn't submit herself for consideration, you would think someone at the show would have put her up for Lead Actress in that case, rather than in the Supporting category (then again, that story did become more about Luke and his angst, so maybe that DOES track, bleh). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

It is a little odd that she's only had three nominations in 20+ years. She doesn't always have material that's unquestionably "about" Liz, but she's frequently outstanding in other people's stories, and it would be hard to define "supporting" better.  

Definitely, but her supporting stuff is hardly ever flashy, and that seems to be what gets rewarded. You have to have be all emotional—or else go entirely against type—to win. It's one of my big beefs with most acting awards.

16 hours ago, gator12 said:

I think what happen back in the those days, the shows choose who they would submit for each category and they had limited spot (two per category).

I think this was one reason the system got revamped with pre-nominations and all of that. The shows kept pushing the same actors every year, and it was hard for others to break in, even if they'd had an especially good year.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, UYI said:

That's fair. I'll admit my idea wasn't perfect, lol. But I do think an honorary Juvenile Award would be a fair compromise, and I think the Oscars should probably have kept it too: look how awkward it is the few times kids are up against seasoned adults! When Tatum O'Neal won her Supporting Actress Oscar for Paper Moon in 1973, the only other nominee in her age range in her category was Linda Blair in The Exorcist; every other nominee was an adult! 

The Best Younger Actor/Actress should be the compromise. Anymore awards and it starts diluting the awards even further. The Oscars had the Best Lead, Best Supporting, and then Juvenile. As bad as politics surrounding the primetime Emmys and Oscars are, at least because of the finite nature of movies and primetime shows, actors aren't absolutely guaranteed nominations, because sooner or later they have to move on to other roles and more or less prove themselves all over again. While the soap industry is pretty incestuous, actors can stay in roles for decades if the role is popular enough. Yes, the Meryl Streeps and Tom Hanks are pretty reliable for getting nominations,  younger actors in their twenties, teens or still in childhood are often represented if the performance are strong enough. There was even a string where 20 somethings actresses Jennifer Lawerence, Emma Stone, and Brie Larson won the Best Actress Oscar in a span of a few years. Sarah Brown has been brought up a lot, but I remember, maybe when she was on the show as original Carly, that people commented that she was submitting for Younger Actress when she was clearly a lead actress by that time. But you have to deal with all of the stalwart legends like Susan Lucci or Tony Geary get there almost obligated nomination, often forcing late 20, early 30 something actors to compete in the supporting actor categories, even if they were leads in stories and have been on the show for many years, which trickles down to sensations like Sarah Brown having to be placed in the Younger Actor category, thereby edging out actual children and teens who, by law, can only work so much.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/24/2020 at 6:50 AM, Sake614 said:

same thing happened to RoHo when he was on OLTL. It’s why he stopped doing any press for years. 

My favorite memory of RoHo will always be when he won his first Daytime Emmy and told his kids he'd try and get Big Bird's autograph for them.

Edited by yowsah1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

Just watched Michael E. Knight on Steve Burtons podcast. I had forgotten what MEK sounded like. For the love of god he needs to loose that stupid accent on GH. It does nothing for him. Maybe, they can do a reveal where we find out that’s it’s fake and he can use his real voice. Also, he even looks better on the podcast then he does on GH. On GH he looks embalmed and too pale. Anywho, that’s my two cents.  

I am for it.  I wasn't, but the idea has grown on me since I can't imagine them pulling a stunt like the Steve/Stefan thing that ended my DAYS viewership after the jump.

• Love 1

It's amusing that TR thinks GH cares what the viewers want.

That said, a time jump wouldn't be a bad idea, though we all know Michael would have Wiley, Sam would be freed from parole and she and Jason would be together, Sonny will have vanquished Cyrus, Olivia would still be terrible Lulu for having the nerve to move on after her divorce, etc. In other words, the outcomes for all the current stories would be the inevitable. New stories wouldn't be any different if they're not going to make fundamental changes, i.e., Sonny/Carly/Jason don't win every. single. time.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Sam would be freed from parole and she and Jason would be together

She would be freed from parole but they will have come up with another reason why Sam and Jason can't be together. Other than the real reason, of course, which I assume is that SBu doesn't want to do lovey scenes.

Unless they change some storylines, Maxie will be married to Peter and their toddler will be playing around the apartment, Finn and Anna will also be married, the teens will be heading off to university, in Post Charles of course. Mike will be dead but we'll have endless flashbacks of Sonny suffering. Willow will be pregnant with Michael's baby. This is  like a bad dream.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:22 PM, ByaNose said:

Just watched Michael E. Knight on Steve Burtons podcast. I had forgotten what MEK sounded like. For the love of god he needs to loose that stupid accent on GH. It does nothing for him. Maybe, they can do a reveal where we find out that’s it’s fake and he can use his real voice.

Accents for TV characters who are going to be ongoing are always something to think long and hard about. For a movie, it's different. You know when it's going to be shooting, you do your work in advance, it's great or passable or not so great (even someone as good with accents as Cate Blanchett had her Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull misfortune), and it's in the can. But an actor in a TV show might have to maintain it for years, no end in sight.  

I remember when Peter Reckell of DOOL had a regular role on Knots Landing, and the show unwisely made his character Irish. That brogue was sliding all over the place. Sometimes really heavy, sometimes light to nonexistent. They finally did exactly what you want GH to do with MEK -- they had another character say, "Hey, what happened to your accent?" and he revealed that it had always been fake. 

On 5/28/2020 at 5:22 PM, ByaNose said:

Just watched Michael E. Knight on Steve Burtons podcast. I had forgotten what MEK sounded like. For the love of god he needs to loose that stupid accent on GH. It does nothing for him. Maybe, they can do a reveal where we find out that’s it’s fake and he can use his real voice. 

Our local station had him on an afternoon program and it was disarming (in a good way) to hear MEK’s voice. The accent is so awful we’ve been fast forwarding him.

It’s not like it’s necessary for the plot lines so yeah, have it as fake or do a Dev. Hell, just have it go away without attempting to explain - not like it would be in the  top 10 leaps of faith the writers ask us to take.

1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

Accents for TV characters who are going to be ongoing are always something to think long and hard about. For a movie, it's different. You know when it's going to be shooting, you do your work in advance, it's great or passable or not so great (even someone as good with accents as Cate Blanchett had her Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull misfortune), and it's in the can. But an actor in a TV show might have to maintain it for years, no end in sight.  

I remember when Peter Reckell of DOOL had a regular role on Knots Landing, and the show unwisely made his character Irish. That brogue was sliding all over the place. 

Good point on TV vs movie, and bigger (or any) budget for dialect coaches.  And the Peter Reckell mention brought the Ronan O’Reilly memories back...ugh.

37 minutes ago, mbluecpa said:

Our local station had him on an afternoon program and it was disarming (in a good way) to hear MEK’s voice. The accent is so awful we’ve been fast forwarding him.

It’s not like it’s necessary for the plot lines so yeah, have it as fake or do a Dev. Hell, just have it go away without attempting to explain - not like it would be in the  top 10 leaps of faith the writers ask us to take.

Good point on TV vs movie, and bigger (or any) budget for dialect coaches.  And the Peter Reckell mention brought the Ronan O’Reilly memories back...ugh.

I remember Reckell on Knots. He came out of the gate strong but then he didn’t have any relationships (as in related to) with any of the core characters and then didn’t last long afterwards. I didn’t think he & Sheridan looked great together but I think they wanted her with William Devane.

• Love 2

I am finally watching The Story of Soaps and Genie Francis looks absolutely stunning in it. GH makeup and wardrobe does her no favors. 
And Andy Cohen, until real life people can come back from the dead, reality tv will never replace the soaps. 

• Love 3
On 5/30/2020 at 1:21 PM, statsgirl said:

She would be freed from parole but they will have come up with another reason why Sam and Jason can't be together. Other than the real reason, of course, which I assume is that SBu doesn't want to do lovey scenes.

Not just SBu.  KeMo constantly acts like she can't stand to be in the same zip code as SBu, much less share a bed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I might watch that Monday ep because I wan't watching then. Anyone know what non-Sonny/Carly things were in that ep?

Well Alan's in there, but it's the beginning of the end. 

• Love 1

I'm excited to at least see that an episode from 2007 was included, but obviously wish they were going further back (and focusing on something other than Sonny/Carly 😔). It'll be great to see some snippets of other folks in 2007 though. It looks like from this episode cast list that it also includes: JMB's Lulu, Lorenzo, Skye, Ric, Emily, TC's Nik, Patrick, and Robin. I like SR as a villain too. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Laur said:

I'm excited to at least see that an episode from 2007 was included, but obviously wish they were going further back (and focusing on something other than Sonny/Carly 😔). It'll be great to see some snippets of other folks in 2007 though. It looks like from this episode cast list that it also includes: JMB's Lulu, Lorenzo, Skye, Ric, Emily, TC's Nik, Patrick, and Robin. I like SR as a villain too. 

How fucking sad is this show that an episode from 2007 (the aughts were pretty terrible, Guza was too far up SaSon's ass at this point) is an improvement.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Hell I’d put up with freakin Brenda at this point if we can have some shows from the 90s.

I'm greedy. I want episodes from GH's heyday: late 70s/early 80s.

• Love 6

LOL at the worry about no more love scenes. GH wasn't exactly a hotbed of romance before filming shut down.

I don't like that only the actors over 65 need a doctor's note to work. Everyone should get a medical okay. People younger than 65 can have extenuating circumstances that need accommodations.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, isalicat said:

https://soapdirt.com/huge-update-for-general-hospital-to-resume-filming/

So what is the over/under on new episodes by July?

I'd guess it'd still be at least August before new episodes air even if all goes smoothly. They would still have to get everything approved (including SAG-AFRTA approving their actors' participation, right?), get folks back to set with a bit of notice, and then need at least a week or so of buffer after they got back to filming for post-production too. 

One thing I'll say about Nem: Tyler and Natalia always put on a show. I remember one love scene in particular that surprised me, that it got on daytime television without cuts. They always seemed very into it and convincing in the physical side of that relationship.

I can take or leave steamy sex scenes. 

37 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

One thing I'll say about Nem: Tyler and Natalia always put on a show. I remember one love scene in particular that surprised me, that it got on daytime television without cuts. They always seemed very into it and convincing in the physical side of that relationship.

They did date for a while, so that probably helped. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I have absolutely no problem with them, but it mainly depends on my interest in the couple. If I hate a character, I don't need to see it. This show doesn't do much sex anymore, way far less than it used to.

Personally, I have great concern for the actors if they are going to do this. Forget an intimate love scene. Kissing would be a no no. No hugging, no slapping, no yelling among close contact (this has been proven to spread the virus), no groups, etc. Are they just going to have two people 6-10 feet apart having a conversation for every scene?

Come to think of it, I guess that's not much different than how things were before production shut down.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

Are they just going to have two people 6-10 feet apart having a conversation for every scene?

Come to think of it, I guess that's not much different than how things were before production shut down.

I was thinking the same thing!

• Love 4
(edited)

I just read something that reminded me that LW and LWBFS are not socially distanced IRL, so would they put those two together in scenes just to take advantage of that? I kind of hope not, we see enough of Peter as it is. Put him near Carly and he'd be there constantly.

Edited by tvgoddess
9 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Good thing they’re not writing covid-19 into the story, or it would be used as yet another tragic thing that keeps Sam and Jason apart 🙄

With only one doctor and one nurse on contract on a soap opera called 'General HOSPITAL', there is little chance for a story related to anything in the medical realm.

• LOL 1

General Hospital cast members over age 65 need a doctor’s approval before returning to work

Seems like as good a time as any to kill Mike off screen. And we don't need no stinkin' Quartermaines. So let's give LC her walking papers while we're at it. I do worry about TR though. I'd seriously hate to lose Robert since he's the only bright spot on the whole damn show. 

Plus, the plan, called the “Roadmap to Recovery Framework”, has serious guidelines to follow. Such as hand-washing stations, wearing masks, and regular COVID-19 testing for both the cast and the crew. Besides that, everyone must carry hand sanitizer bottles on them on the set at GH.

I presume the masks are for between scenes and not during? Because I can barely understand Mo and KeMo without a damn mask. 

(edited)

S the Best Show nominees (all 4) can submit up to 2 episodes for the Daytime Emmy. We know for sure that GH submitted the December 23 2019 (Finns Christmas nightmare). It's possible that the other one was either Oscar's death from May 1 or his funeral in the park May 13.

Personally, I think those were good choices. Finn's nightmare episode was really good. Again, remember here (and on another board I frequent), a lot of people were surprised at how well done it was. The costumes, the set design, the weaving of the characters and how they used the Scrooge story to push the current stories a bit forward worked really well. Plus, other than Eden McCoy (Joss), everyone else did a marvelous job in the Scrooge story differentiating the characters.

I also think the Scrooge episode will stand out. It was a special episode that stayed true to the heart of GH, Christmas, love, family, friendship, the hospital. And, you know, in these times when everything is SO AWFUL, seeing something that ends on such an inspired hopeful note is a wonderful thing to see.

And if they DO submit an Oscar-related episode, I think that submitting the one where he died would be a great choice because while I'm not a fan of him, but his death episode was STELLAR. Remember the Quartermaine stuff, and Lila/Edward welcoming him, the way they grief played out with everyone? It was really well done. And I remember a BUNCH of people at that that other board and here--where most unanimously HATE Oscar--talking about how the episode made them cry because of how well they handled Oscar's death and the reactions from others. It was so, so well done.

If these are indeed the two episodes they submitted, great job. Now, no, I don't think they'll win. But, I do think these are good choices (hopefully, they do choose the death episode and not the funeral, because that one... eh.)

Edited by driver18
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I don't follow a lot of GH actors, but I notice that, for whatever reason, Tristan R is really talking up the imminent return to work, and William DeV is downplaying how soon actual filming can begin. 

Honestly, I think Tristan is mistaken and Will is right on this one. Production in general will be among the last of the industries to return to work.

• Love 1