Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I shook my head that the clip of Oscar's death that GH picked for competition for an Emmy focused on the dead boy with Drew and Kim, when all three actors no longer work at GH.

Apparently they have no shame. Cue Edith Piaf.

On 6/26/2020 at 11:03 PM, tvgoddess said:

Frank's problem is that he only has enough good material to generate one decent episode a year. And did this win them best writing or best drama? No. Best directing, which while great for them, but without Tamara this is a shutout.

As long as he continues to trot out those four who are one step away from an early grave character wise, they're not winning jack shit.

What an insult to directors! Seriously? Winning best directing as well makes it NOT a shutout. They won best supporting actress AND best directing. That is two major awards. Geez.

Dear Frank,

Whatever plan you're currently cooking up to lure Kristian Alfonso to "General Hospital" to play Nina's never-heard-of sister or whatever now that she's leaving "Days of our Lives"...just no, stop it, no, no, you are stopping it, NO!

Signed without love,

TeeVee329

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
12 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Hmmmm

https://apnews.com/9c93f0dd6dfb6a46a031f5f05c86c218

Mannequins? Spouses? Good thing there's no real intimacy on GH anyway...

I haven’t heard about B&B actually using the dolls yet but I know they’ve already filmed a couple times using their spouses as stand ins. They’re the love triangle show so no intimacy would be more noticeable. I doubt GH would go that route when they barely showed love scenes and couple moments pre-COVID. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

they barely showed love scenes and couple moments pre-COVID. 

exactly! I'm trying to think of one couple who had a love scene in the last year. And I can't.

I wonder what the difference is among the soaps (except DOOL, which has the luxury of not having to show reruns until October [!]) that some have restarted filming and some haven't. Presumably the safety/health requirements are the same. Is it just logistics? Is Maurice Benard enjoying the break so much he doesn't want to return?

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Is Maurice Benard enjoying the break so much he doesn't want to return?

If only! I suspect it’s more. A matter of how quickly they can hire the necessary people and get everyone tested. 

• Useful 1

I don't know the reason, but a theory is, since it appears this damned virus is NOT abating, but spiking again, maybe Cali is maybe pulling back on its reopening plans? Other than that, I can't begin to guess.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I don't know the reason, but a theory is, since it appears this damned virus is NOT abating, but spiking again, maybe Cali is maybe pulling back on its reopening plans? Other than that, I can't begin to guess.

But the other soaps are coming back. Maybe it comes down to the almighty dollar. As in abc doesn’t want to spend the money to hire the necessary people at GH 

• Useful 1

There is also that from what I've seen from people who have been on a set tour, the studio where GH films in is pretty ramshackle. I think Y&R and B&B have more modern studios.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ulkis said:

There is also that from what I've seen from people who have been on a set tour, the studio where GH films in is pretty ramshackle. I think Y&R and B&B have more modern studios.

What? Did they destroy their cheapass sets when production shut down?

That’s what they get with Frank then. You know, with all the budget being the reason for the show looking like a prison with all that gray and white.

• Love 1

While I won't say the massive restrictions wouldn't be a problem if they kept the hospital side of General Hospital healthy and rebuilt pre COVID, it wouldn't be as much of a problem if they had a good portion of the cast being in a hospital setting, and maybe a bit more in ELQ and PCPD. Maybe it would be less "Love In the Afternoon," but we didn't have much of that for a long. 

• Love 1
(edited)

In all seriousness, though, if they haven't gone back to work, they probably should consider keeping it that way for a longer period of time. I realize that B&B has gone back to work (and Y&R is about to if they haven't already), but while the number of cases may be going up most in Florida and Texas, other states certainly aren't immune either--and we all know how many people live in California, let alone Los Angeles. Social distancing, while important, can only do so much in these circumstances, and while I understand people wanting to go back to work, I don't want anyone--in soaps or otherwise--to risk their lives for work if they don't need to. I'm sure the networks aren't super crazy about relying on reruns, but I prefer that (quality of the reruns aside) to anyone dying. It all just feels WAY too soon, to the point where I feel like a crazy person about how obsessive I still am about staying safe and sanitary whenever I leave the house, which I still try to only do when I need groceries (or when I go walk somewhere where I know a lot of people generally won't go).

Sorry, that got REALLY grim just now. Back to any lighter backstage GH dirt that can be found! :) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 10

I don't see the point of starting to film again if there's a real possibility of having to shut down soon after. I'm sort of proud of GH for not immediately jumping back into it. I'm sure ABC's epic cheapness is a big part of the reason, but that doesn't negate wanting to see how things go with other soaps and the pandemic trends in the area.

• Love 8

I wonder how WK felt about Ned lying about Leo's paternity. Granted, it was against Julian, the town goat, but I don't think that story did Ned any favors, either.

And being fired two years later isn't exactly prompt action. I feel for him, don't get me wrong, but that's quite a cause-effect gap if that's what he's trying to say.

Ted King got even worse treatment, IMO.

WK had a long run as Ned. Ned was trashed for no other reason than Sonny has to win no matter what, but he wasn't the first character to suffer that, and unfortunately he won't be the last. Look at what's happening with Jeff Kober's Cyrus. There's a character who's been shown as ruthless enough to cause some interesting trouble for Sonny, but of course that won't last. I won't be surprised if that story gets quickly ended or ignored completely once shooting resumes. Can't have someone outshine Sonny/MB.

• Love 4
(edited)

I have a feeling a lot of Ned's decline also had to do with Lois not being there, too. That was, by far, his most popular pairing (with apologies to any Ned/Alexis fans who might be reading this right now, of course), and RS leaving, combined with their real life divorce (and her primetime success prior to her eventual return to daytime on B&B), basically doomed Ned as much as anything else did (which was only driven home more once Lesli Kay's Lois didn't go over so well a few years later). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I agree that Lois not being on the show probably led to Ned's decline. And the fact that non-mob business-based stories were inexplicably disliked/banned. That didn't leave much for Ned to do.

They also had Ned turned away from ELQ and had other people fighting to get a piece of the company (AJ, Skye) when Edward had groomed him to take over the company. If Ned wasn't going to be running ELQ, and the show not really caring about business, they just limited his stories to be a musician and his love life. Ned after Lois got involved with Alexis (which soured when she Runaway Bride on him and became deeply enmeshed in Sonny's story), Kristina (another long lost, not interesting Cassadine), Skye (sort of cousin), and Faith (lunatic mobster).

If storyline wise Ned's time was coming to end for the time being, I would agree, but Wally does have a point and it is something a lot of us have been complaining about since the days of General Schmospital boards. Guza bragged about his "skill" into turning anyone into an anti-hero, while he crapped all over his actual anti heros like AJ and Tracy. While it sucks to lose a job and on a soap, it must be doubly frustrating when your character is throughly trashed and isn't given a meaningful conclusion to their arc. I don't know if Kin Shriner wanted to leave GH in the early 90s, but his character was given a satisfying conclusion. 

Other than Guza's obsession with the Soparno's, there was no good reason to make Sonny and Jason the main male leads of the show, especially since the partners from their best pairings, Brenda and Robin, had left the show. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It looks like the show is picking up right where it left off, zzzzz.

My favorite spoiler is "Sonny has a crisis of conscience." Right.

And Sam and carly bond 🙄. Although Valentin propositiong Sam could be fun if kemo is awake 

Peter's maternity hasn't been established because Anna doesn't want to know.  She remembers giving birth to him, and it makes no biological difference, so she sees herself as his mother no mater what, and Robert is pretty pissed at her about it.  She also hasn't told Peter that there is a question there, which is pretty shitty of her.  I mean, sure, she thinks she's the better option as a mom, but after everything that has happened a little honesty would probably serve everyone better.  But, you know, TFGH.

7 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Peter's maternity hasn't been established because Anna doesn't want to know.

*blinks*

*reads sentence again*

*blinks*

Soooooooo, Anna's straight up nuts, then. Like, "obsessed with the embryo created from your stolen egg and the sperm of your mom's rapist/half-brother's father" nuts.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, ouinason said:

She remembers giving birth to him

But she's not sure if that's her memory or Alex's. (That same twin memory switcheroo that Drew and Franco were involved in.) If the story were written better (sigh), this would be a very soapy factor. Instead we had to sit through months of Anna being weepy about LWB/FS, and she still insists on defending him no matter what. She'd probably take his side if she saw him shooting a puppy.

• Love 1

It would be nice if Anna found out the truth about Peter and was so disgusted she checked his paternity and found he was Alex's. Yeah, there's about as much change of that as Sonny and Jason becoming the town pariah's.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

It looks like the show is picking up right where it left off, zzzzz.

A glorious opportunity lost.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ouinason said:

Peter's maternity hasn't been established because Anna doesn't want to know.  She remembers giving birth to him, and it makes no biological difference, so she sees herself as his mother no mater what

Stupid as fuuuuuqqqqqqqq

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ouinason said:

Peter's maternity hasn't been established because Anna doesn't want to know.  She remembers giving birth to him, and it makes no biological difference, so she sees herself as his mother no mater what, and Robert is pretty pissed at her about it.  She also hasn't told Peter that there is a question there, which is pretty shitty of her.  I mean, sure, she thinks she's the better option as a mom, but after everything that has happened a little honesty would probably serve everyone better.  But, you know, TFGH.

Which is stupid. I haven't been watching, but doesn't Peter borderline hates Anna? Making Peter Alex's son doesn't have to change Anna's maternal instincts towards him; Peter is still close family. Mac thinks of Robin as a daughter. Doesn't she want to peace of mind to know that she didn't abandon a child? Lord knows Anna's fans are pissed and there is a window to undo maternity. 

Peter no longer hate anna. They’ve grown closer and she’s been very supportive of him and his relationship with Maxie. I think the bond grew stronger when she assured him that the police would never discover the connection between him and the hit man he hired to kill Franco and Andre.🙄

Looking forward to the show’s return, although I oddly haven’t missed it a bit. I think they should let Jason do the first love scene with a mannequin. Because, honestly, will anyone notice the difference? 

• LOL 11

I'm glad the show is back, but I can't say I really missed it all that much, which makes me a bit sad, tbh. 

I wish they had taken this opportunity to just fast forward some of their storylines. I don't need to see the Wylie's custody trial or Sonny yelling at Mike whether he remembers what apple sauce is and then screaming at him if he wants to die or live.

• Love 3

Isn't California one of the worst-hit states right now for Covid 19? Why are they going back to work now??

I haven't missed GH at all, which makes me wonder if I'll start watching when it returns. Particularly if story-wise nothing is going to change.

• Love 2