Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Worlds Finest

Trini
  • Start Topic

I enjoyed Lucy, backed by the guys with guns, getting on the 'uh, we're a secret facility?' If only we'd seen how Kara talked Lucy into admitting Siobhan for testing, I might be a bit more happy.  Also? Who leaves a jail cell(?) where just anyone stalking out in a huff can see and overhear what's going on with a meta or alien captive? I think the Contrivance Fairy has also eluded the crack security staff at the DEO.

Are they not even pretending the DEO is supposed to be super secret and nonexistent? Because besides this episode, James and Max Lord can just stroll in there anytime, too.

Related: At least some of the DEO agents must know that Kara = Supergirl; in this episode Kara is all "My sister's lab is over there" in the command center.

I actually don't hate Kara and Jimmy as a couple, but what I do hate is that EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER IS TRYING TO PUSH THEM TOGETHER.   ENOUGH show.  At least previous episodes tried to be just a tiny bit subtle about it. ...

Answering in the Relationships thread.

• Love 4

So much fun. So much color. So much lightheartedness. So much adorableness.

And funnily enough, even though I'm not a huge fan of the way they handled Banshee's offscreen transformation & sudden super-strength, I like her look. Granted, it would work better in a dark alley or under a stormy sky, and not in the middle of a park in broad daylight, but still, compared to the cheesy, low-rent Livewire we've got, she's much better, imo.

• Love 2

Siobhan meets up with her Aunt who tells her of the family's curse

Didn't the same actress that played the Aunt play Granny Goodness on Smallville? 

The fights on this episode were pretty bad and the shipping for Kara and Jimmy pretty blatant but eh, don't care. Kara and Barry were too cute and too fun and I loved Winn and I always love Cat. 

Missed Alex and Hank though.  A lot.  And worst yet, I'm really getting a feeling we won't be seeing them until next season.  :(

Edited by BkWurm1

The crowd of people protecting Supergirl made me think of the Spiderman 2 movie, with Toby McGuire, when the people on the El saw him injured and without his mask and realized that he was just a teenage boy, not the criminal mastermind Jonas tried to depict him as, and pitched in to help him.

Barry Allen has sure matured (as has Grant Gustin, of course) and has learned so much, including to wear his superhero mantle unabashedly and with confidence. He's ahead of Kara in that his power is well developed as well as his ability to control it, while Supergirl is still a work in progress.

With infinite multiverses, though, I wonder how Barry is so sure that he'll jump into the right one. Shades of "Sliders."

I agree with others that Cat must know that Kara is Supergirl, and that Jimmy and Winn know, too, but has simply given up on trying to expose her secret identity.

• Love 3

Something I had wished we would see but didn't was Barry being clearly faster than Kara.  One of my favorite moments in the entire series on Smallville was a race between Clark and Bart Allen.  At the end of the episode Clark was trying to talk Bart into sticking around and Bart said he'd stay if Clark could beat him in a race.  They had them racing down the country roads neck in neck and then suddenly, Bart turns around and starts running backwards before saluting him and zipping away.  The best part was Clark's look of astonishment.  I was hoping we'd see Barry be faster than Kara and they played around with that idea a bit but on a show where Kara is eventually able to physically beat everyone (and has even been told she's faster at flying than her cousin) it would have been nice for her to not be the most special at everything.  She was amazed at insta ice cream but I guess I wanted her to be more amazed at Barry.  Teeny tiny complaint though.   

• Love 2

Edit - it also would've been better if they could've made this match up better with the Flash storyline - the chest doohickey felt kind of spoilery.  I guess I get to look forward to seeing how this all fits in.

The Producers were talking about this in an interview (since they're running both shows) - they were frankly pretty amazed that it managed to line up so well, being only 1 day out of sync.  Cross-network scheduling is not something that's easy to arrange apparently.  If it was The Flash crossing over to another CW show it would have been much easy to line up the episodes in order.

Eh, I expected more. Way too cheesy for my taste. It's like they took the inherent cheesiness of Supergirl and added all the cheesy stuff from The Flash on top of that. Alex and Hank ground the show, it's just too comic-y without them.

Also, James/Kara officially join the Oliver/Laurel and Barry/Iris club of awful and forced comic book pairings (although Iris is at least good on her own and was actually awesome in the Earth 2 episode). 

The Kara/Barry scenes were nice though, as was Cat, as usual, but the villain stuff, the James stuff and the ending, ugh.

• Love 2

Are they not even pretending the DEO is supposed to be super secret and nonexistent? Because besides this episode, James and Max Lord can just stroll in there anytime, too.

Even worse -- Wynn drags Siobhan to the DEO for examination after her powers prevent her from falling to her death, they make absolutely no effort to prevent Siobhan from seeing the inside of the entire DEO complex or that Wynn fully knows about it, and then they let her walk out the front door with Wynn so that Siobhan knows exactly where the DEO complex is located.

Even worser -- Siobhan's distant relatives were cursed consisted of a starving bog lady who stole from a banshee or some such nonsense. That was just beyond stupid.

The worst -- Siobhan's visions of herself in that ridiculous disguise.  Which means that Livewire's makeover suggestions were irrelevant and it was all Siobhan's idea to dress up like that.  Or was she suddenly having visions of the future too (more gnarly banshee powers).

Cat Grant:  "Kira call security.  I haven't seen eyes that crazy since I had fondue with Ramona Singer".

Does Cat mean Ramona Singer from RHONY ?  Those crap shows exist in the DCU, uggh.  That's too bad.

On the plus side, Mariah Carey, Oprah Winfrey and Bernie Sanders exist in the DCU.  And the CW exists. So there's that.

And why did it get incredibly windy in SB's face every time SB screamed ?  

How did Kara get knocked unconscious by SB's scream at Catco while pushing her out the window ?  Seriously, she's Supergirl, that was a pretty lightweight impact.

I did like the callback to that first time that Barry ran carrying Felicity and Felicity's shirt caught fire -- yet Kara's sweater showed very little fire damage (some slight smudges) afterwards despite the fact the fire was hot enough to form ash.  I also find it hard to believe that Kara had her super suit under that outfit (complete with skirt, cape and boots under her outfit which was rather form fitting)

And where did Barry get his street clothes from ?  Do they have spares just lying around the Supergirl pseudo-lair in the basement of the Catco building ?  And where did he stash his Flash outfit when not wearing it -- he doesn't have a ring like Eobard Thawne (yet).

Scenes on the media wall behind Cat Grant -- Food giant begins GMO labelling, Police shootout leaves two people dead, one injured, Asteroid could pass within <unknown -- but they showed a close proximity to Earth>, Research Team clones stem cells, <some company> shutting down hundreds of stores, space technology means racing with efforts to colonize Mars, Scientists close to genome sequencing for incredibly rare bird for first time ever (which incredibly rare bird), how fast is The Blur, and Who is The Blur.   And according to the crawl under Perd Hapley, there is an oil crunch and US treasury yields plunge to flattest levels since 2002.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

Wow this show has the subtlety of a sledgehammer. I was enjoying it till the scene in the park and then it was back to good-old 'tell don't show'. And how am I supposed to take any redemption seriously when it's reported by Perd Hapley?

This episode was so much fun. Maybe it's because of my ridiculous Flash fangirling, but Barry really does make everything better.

It's well established by now that I love Grant Gustin so much I want him to have my babies. So it's no surprise I tuned in this week to see the crossover. He and Kara were so perfectly adorkable and I think I grinned through the whole thing. Especially at the running joke that he reveals his secret identity to everybody. I guess he figured this was a parallel universe so it didn't matter because he was outing himself to a ridiculous level - even for him.

And just as I was thinking, "hey, this show could be so much FUN", Barry left and it wasn't.

Which brings me to the world's flattest kiss. I know it was deliberate because of the zombie thing but still... if you've been trying to build up to this and give it sweeping music to boot, maybe give it a bit more oomph.

EDITED: because spelling helps sometimes

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 2

This is the first time I've watched Supergirl since the series premiere and I loved the team-up between Kara and Barry.  It certainly lived up to its billing and I hope we see another one in the future (would love to see Supergirl on The Flash).  Kind of funny seeing Barry giving Kara advice on slowing things down because he's always the one on The Flash who jumps into things without thinking whatsoever.  Barry was fun here, free of angst of his own show (not that The Flash is an angsty show).

I thought the end with the public defending Supergirl was contrived and unsubtle as hell.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

From Kara's yellow dress that she wore from the time Flash appeared until her date with Jimmy, I concluded that this entire episode occurred within one day. That was a very busy day for everyone, with all the trips back and forth from DEO, etc. 

We haven't watched Supergirl in a while, but tuned in for the team-up. Not much has changed. It was breezy, cheesy and cute. The entire logistics of the DEO and Catco are still completely silly and don't hold up to the slightly scrutiny. Cat still appears to run the entire company with only the help of Kara, Winn and Jimmy and the DEO is like the local Radioshack where everyone drops by when anything science-y needs to happen. 

And for some reason Cat is still at the center of everything and Kara and the gang must always come to Cat's office for debriefings, explanations of events, etc. 

Somehow during the years of reading superhero comics I completely missed the fact that one of a hero's highest priorities is locking down a boyfriend/girlfriend. But with this being a typical television show, you know that Kara will be no closer to romantic happiness in five or ten years time. 

So long for now, Supergirl. I don't know when we will meet again, but for some reason I suspect you will be doing mostly the same things with the same people...

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1

That was my favorite line.  The CW line was funny until I looked closer and realized the "diverse" cast was made up of 1 black guy.  Yup, super diverse.  Insert eye roll. 

Wasn't that the point? The CW mostly cast white people with one or two minority main characters. Arrow has one, Flash has two, Legends has two, TVD has one, Supernatural has none, and so on. Jane the Virgin being the only show with mostly minorities. Supergirl itself has two. Everyone else is white.

• Love 5

There was a lot to love in this episode and like you have all been saying, Barry and Kara made the show with their adorableness and dorkiness and just overall cute superheroness :):):)  And if anyone belonged together, it's Kara and Barry, because their chemistry was off the charts--almost matching Kara and Adam's :)  James Olsen may be cute but he is fast becoming Lana Lang-esque in his ability to be shoe-horned into scenes with Kara--that is not a compliment.

Wynn was completely awesome in his support for Kara, his liking Barry, his calling James on his jealousy and mostly, for trying to stop Siobhan from hurting anyone.  Go Wynn :)

I do have a question about Siobhan and her Banshee problems--the women in her family are all unlikeable because of a curse and they only hear the banshee cry when someone has done them wrong and then they have to kill that person.  My question is, who did her wrong?  Siobhan went behind Cat's back when Cat told her not to release the Supergirl video.  Siobhan did it anyway and she got fired, rightfully so, and yes, Kara taunted her but that was in response to Siobhan's own horribleness.  SO, who exactly did her wrong that she could hear the Banshee cry?

• Love 3

Wasn't that the point? The CW mostly cast white people with one or two minority main characters. Arrow has one, Flash has two, Legends has two, TVD has one, Supernatural has none, and so on. Jane the Virgin being the only show with mostly minorities. Supergirl itself has two. Everyone else is white.

Not that it takes away from your point, but does Cisco count as a minority on The Flash? Because then you'd have three minorities (Cisco, Iris, and Joe).

• Love 2
Not that it takes away from your point, but does Cisco count as a minority on The Flash? Because then you'd have three minorities (Cisco, Iris, and Joe).

And Wally.

The CW line was funny until I looked closer and realized the "diverse" cast was made up of 1 black guy.  Yup, super diverse.

maybe thats where the funny part is, lol. 

Edited by WildcardC
  • Love 2

And Wally.

I think she meant main characters- Wally is a minor character. I do like that Flash has a lot of minority characters (main and minor, including now the editor and the Chief of police being gay even though he is white) which is nice to see for a CW show.

• Love 1
I think she meant main characters- Wally is a minor character.

He is Wally West (an main character in Flash mythology), he is most likely guaranteed to be a regular next season. This season he is like semi regular, minor character he is not. IMO. 

Edited by WildcardC

Never watched the Flash so didn't know what to expect, but LOVED it. Thought Barry, Kara AND Winn were so cute together. Speaking of Winn, I don't know how the actor (or the actress playing Siobahn, for that matter) could keep a straight face in their scenes together. SO MUCH MAKEUP. Wow.

OK, I've said many times I would like to see Winn & Kara together, so my opinion on this can be challenged, I admit. But I don't see any chemistry between James and Kara, even though everyone on the show was beating us over the head with it (they used to do this on the soaps all the time when they wanted to put an actress and actor together, and it's just lazy writing). Melissa gave the last scene everything she had, but there was a second or two when Jimmy said "what are you trying to say" that something should have kicked in, and for me it didn't. I used to like James, but he's being written now as such a drag. Actually, I still think he has chemistry with Lucy (who wouldn't?). Don't know why, but the shiny brightness of Kara just doesn't mesh with the conflicted brooding James.

• Love 4

This was exactly what I wanted. It was fun, it was bright. You don't have to think too hard about what's going on, just sit back and enjoy it. 

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 2

Fun ep, logic aside.  Head scratching that since Hank and Alex just got away in time last week that there is no mention of them.

Siobhan's hate on Kara is silly - she's acting like Kara strangled her bunny.  They could have at least manufactured a bit more of a "reason".  But, when they are having Supergirl and the Flash delivering me puppies and unicorns eating cotton candy, I am not going to think too deep.

• Love 2

I thought it was a fun episode, though Siobhan's banshee getup was kind of ridiculous.  She's a girl who is into accentuating her looks and sex appeal, so why does she want to look like the grim reaper?  I would have expected her to go with a sexier banshee outfit.  The absence of Alex and Hank was noticeable.  It made sense with them being on the run and made room for the show to do their Flash crossover.  But going forward this show will suffer if Lucy is the anchor at the DEO and Hank and Alex become peripheral characters.  Those are the two best characters on the show.  I like the Flash, haven't watched that show but he's pretty entertaining.

• Love 3

I loved that Silver Banshee looked so much like the comic book character, but conversely that it was so stupidly over the top for real life. It actually felt just as OTT as Siobhan has been since her introduction.

SO, who exactly did her wrong that she could hear the Banshee cry?

I would assume it was rampant self-victimization at work.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Flash and non-broody/stupid Barry, and Grant Gustin, so this just totally worked on all points for me. I loved Kara's glee at another super-powered person who could actually be there for her without the DC Cinematic Universe mandates drawing all sorts of stupid lines.

I COMPLETELY loved Winn Science Bro-ing out with Barry, especially getting ready to take his picture with Kara's space ship and then pretending to pooh-pooh the idea as soon as Lucy came charging in. I got a kick out of Winn's good-natured needling of Jimmy finally being the one to be jealous of someone.

And this is the Cat I can tolerate -- she isn't stupid, she has her reasons, but she's also probably a good person deep, deep down. Deeper. Maybe a little deeper than that, even. But deeeeeeeep down. Calista's worked miracles with what she's been given, and I feel like the writers are finally learning how to work with it. Maybe. Hopefully.

• Love 4

If they are planning to let the brother stick around, Flash has 3 now.  But, then, they are all related, which makes it feel less diverse somehow. 

If they are planning to let the brother stick around, Flash has 3 now. But, then, they are all related, which makes it feel less diverse somehow.

The one black family on the block...

I hope the Barry that was on this show is the Barry that makes it back to The Flash because so far this season he's been nothing but a putz.

I like sunshiny characters but Kara acts 12 most of the time which is a big reason why she and James aren't really meshing. I wish a little of how Kara acted when the red kryptonite had affected her had stuck.

I was hoping the end scene would be Alex and J'onn. They were greatly missed.

• Love 1

You pretty much distilled my thoughts about the episode perfectly here (get out of my head!!). A couple of salient points:

Siobhan responds "I would love to kill that little blonde twig who ruined my life" and all my hopes for the character displaying duality and Siobhan not suddenly becoming a cold blooded killer have now been completely dashed.

Same. Siobhan was very one-dimensional when they introduced her character, and then they started to actually flesh her out and make her more than just the "mean girl." I really liked the character, and like you, was hopeful that she might be a nuanced nemesis for Supergirl (perhaps her first this season, save maybe her aunt?).

But then her aunt tells her she has to kill the one who wronged her in order to get rid of the voices in her head, and she's all, "okay." As if the decision to murder another person is just something that people do casually all the time. Only in crappy comic books or lazily written tv shows.

Seriously, after giving this woman a few more layers and even some degree of sympathetic writing- not to mention giving yourselves an out with the voices in the head- they kind of toss all that aside casually. At least give us some more buildup to it, let us see her deterioration and torment that maybe leaves a conflicted soul who sees no alternative but to ease her own suffering by taking Kara's life? Instead it's just "ow, a headache," now I wander in a fugue for a few minutes, then everything's okay. And I'm going to kill someone.

It's the same short-shrift this show gives to a lot of its plots; we'll condense all of this into 2 minute segments and resolve it just as handily. The same problem I have with the way they handled Supergirl's "They love me/They Don't?/They love me again" plot. Give these things some time to develop and breathe, and you make them much more poignant and give the audience and your characters a much more satisfying emotional denoument.

Or, as the Flash put it in this episode, "sometimes you've just got to slow down."

How is this suddenly not a viable strategy when the villains are both down on the ground.  How is this an unwinnable battle...oh because there are still 20 minutes to go in the episode, nevermind. 

Yeah, that was a zinger. "Whew! They're both down. Now... retreeaatt!!!?????"

Yet James seems extremely surprised to see Livewire...also for some reason he had to run absurdly close to her before trying to use his signal watch.

This was probably the most laughable part of the episode, and the worst acting. I mean, the silly bit with all the bystanders in the park all suddenly stopping in place and turning their heads simultaneously to look up at the helicopter and Supergirl was bad, but hey- they're extras! Mehcad Brooks' run, stop suddenly, gasp, then reach so obviously for his signal watch moment was pathetic.

I enjoyed him on Necessary Roughness, and felt he displayed a wide range of emotiveness in his acting choices on that show, but he's been pretty bad on Supergirl. That rose to a whole new level of hamminess in this episode, though. His world-weary jealous mugging when watching Barry and Kara was bad, but the run gag was terrible. Given some of the other acting choices in this episode, I wonder if it had more to do with the directing than the actors.

And on another note: Lucy always dressed pretty professionally before, whether in uniform or as KatCo's lawyer. Now that she's head of the DEO, though, she's sporting catsuits, heavy makeup, and post-coital mussy hair? That seemed very out of place to me. Just me? 

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 4

It should have looked like the movie 'Scanners' -- with heads of background extras exploding all over place -- if SB made Kara's ears bleed. Other villains should take notice about that weakness.

Silver Banshee just looked ridiculous in that outfit. And when did having super yelly skills also make her super strong too -- enough to push Supergirl around with her physical prowess ? There was a lot of inconsistency with SB's powers -- they clearly showed her sound waves could push people out of the way, but when Barry and Kara popped in their earbuds SB's soundwaves suddenly lost their capability to push people around. Uh, no.

"Magic."

I'm mostly serious. Banshees are supernatural, and magic is a classic Kryptonian weakness. So bleeding ears worked for me.

As for earplugs protecting against being pushed: maybe her magic scream was literally pushing people by their eardrums?

• Love 2

I was just going to mention that what Silver Banshee is doing could technically be classified as magical (if the curse came from an actual banshee), and thus Kara would be vulnerable to it, but even so if the sound it so loud it makes HER ears bleed it should deafen, if not kill, anyone else. Then again she was hitting Kara with a stronger, intended to be fatal blast, rather than just knocking Winn out of the way. As for the earplugs apparently making them immune to the physical force of the sound waves I could hand wave that Kara, at least, was expecting it this time and better able to brace herself. Most of the time it is very difficult to move a Kryptonian when they don't want to be moved. That doesn't really excuse Barry though.

While I'm thinking about it, I want to second whoever it was that said Silver Banshee's scream is more what I imagine the Black Canary's should be.

• Love 3

I think Cat knows but if she revealed that she knows - then what?  It would be weird for her to keep working for Cat when Supergirl knows Cat knows (if that makes sense) - 

Loved it - just pure, silly fun and I love the actor's portrayal of the Flash/Barry - too cute; and, his comedic timing is terrific.

All around - just a bunch of adorableness.  Though I much prefer The Flash as a show - I love JM in it and JC - well, almost the entire cast is great and there's a lot of humanity in it vs. the rest of the CW superhero shows.  

So, we now know of 3 earths - well, okay then - can I go to the one that has the President of the U.S. that I would like??  Please?  I'm sure one of the three would choose well, no?

• Love 2

My question is, who did her wrong?  Siobhan went behind Cat's back when Cat told her not to release the Supergirl video.  Siobhan did it anyway and she got fired, rightfully so, and yes, Kara taunted her but that was in response to Siobhan's own horribleness.  SO, who exactly did her wrong that she could hear the Banshee cry?

Why didn't Siobhan manifest The Banshee after her father's betrayal of the promise to her? It was only one or two episodes back and seems a bigger, more triggering act than a boss blackballing you currently.  (How her dad wasn't killed by her mom is a question, though.) 

To anyone who's watched the episode with producer's commentary: did anyone ever address how Leslie knew to go to the lumber warehouse?

• Love 2
As for earplugs protecting against being pushed: maybe her magic scream was literally pushing people by their eardrums?

Actually I think it's a simply matter of Kara/Barry were standing far enough away from Siobhan at the time so that they were not really feeling much of the push effect from her scream, so the only threat would have been the noise factor which the earplugs helped deal with?

I really hope this show survives just so we can get another crossover.
Well even if Supergirl were to be cancelled, then I have to think there would still be a strong possibility that Kara would then potentially be folded into the CW universe like they did with Constantine?  I mean I don't see why CBS would be petty with a sister company, and with shared showrunners the only other thing that would likely prevent it is MB being unwilling to fly up to Canada to guest star occasionally or to  join the cast of a smaller budget show like Legends?

I missed Alex and J'onn a little bit, actually. But she got a mention, at least.

There was very clearly supposed to be an Hank/Alex story in this episode.  Between the previously intro talking about them trying to save Jeremiah and the very clear transition segue after Barry asks about Kara's sister. (which instead went to visit Livewire)  My guess is at some point they realized they had too much going on time wise and rather than cutting any of the Kara/Barry stuff they took out the Hank/Alex subplot for an later episode?

"Magic."

I'm mostly serious. Banshees are supernatural, and magic is a classic Kryptonian weakness. So bleeding ears worked for me.

Yeah this.  In the comics Silver Banshee has indeed always also had super strength, durability, speed, etc.   Of course it would have been nice had the show actually demonstrated/acknowledged this before their fight so it would have seemed less like something suddenly pulled out of the writers butts for the purpose of the fight.

SO, who exactly did her wrong that she could hear the Banshee cry?

My guess would actually be that it is Cat Grant?  I mean when Siobhan was in Terminator mode she entered the building saw Kara at her desk, but then immediately turned to head into Cat Grants office.  So really to me that would indicate that the Banshee spirit believe that Cat Grant was the one for wronging Siobhan not Kara like Siobhan is hung up on.  Since it was only after Kara snapped Siobhan out of her Banshee controlled trance that she redirected her anger and blame back at Kara.

Now why would the Banshee be angry at Cat Grant?  Assuming that Siobhan was not exaggerating last episode that she is unable to get any job because the moment prospective employers hear her name they hang up on her...that implies that Cat used her influence to blackball Siobhan from getting another decent job in the city/industry (this was before the fake email scam).   Look what Siobhan did was clearly wrong.  However at the same time it was not truly malicious and Cat even understood the reason she did it.  Honestly I don't think it really merited Cat taking things to anywhere near that kind of response?  If Cat really did tell others not to hire her it does seem petty and wrong on Cat's part to really ruin the girls life like that over one small error in judgement.   So I could actually see the Banshee spirit being activated here.

Why didn't Siobhan manifest The Banshee after her father's betrayal of the promise to her? It was only one or two episodes back and seems a bigger, more triggering act than a boss blackballing you currently.  (How her dad wasn't killed by her mom is a question, though.)

Actually there is possibly a simple explanation that answers both questions.  Siobhan's Dad is actually the one related to her Aunt and that passed down the family curse not her mother.   This means her mother would not have been effected by the curse, and the curse may simply not apply to other blood related family members.

Edited by Xenith22
  • Love 3

If they are planning to let the brother stick around, Flash has 3 now.  But, then, they are all related, which makes it feel less diverse somehow. 

The Flash has three in the main cast.  Joe, Iris and Cisco.  Wally is a minor recurring character the moment who may very well become a regular.  The Flash is lousy with how they use their female characters but not on the diversity front.

• Love 1

Excuse, me Show? We need to talk. Thing is, Grant Gustin could have chemistry with a rock. If you pair him up with your adorable heroine -- knowing they can't permanently team up -- you can't expect us to root for a budding romance with her duller co-star when all we really want is more Supergirl and The Flash getting donuts and fighting crime. This feedback is free. You're welcome.

• Love 4

And this is the Cat I can tolerate -- she isn't stupid, she has her reasons, but she's also probably a good person deep, deep down. Deeper. Maybe a little deeper than that, even. But deeeeeeeep down. Calista's worked miracles with what she's been given, and I feel like the writers are finally learning how to work with it. Maybe. Hopefully.

I think that can be said for Melissa, Chyler and David as well. They make the show a lot more enjoyable than it should be given the scripts they are working with. 

Every week the show changes a recently established status quo. Remember when Cat didn't know, then knew and now presumably knows the Kara's identity? Remember when everybody was telling Kara it would take some time for the public to trust her again? Remember when Astra was evil, and then she wasn't.? How is it that everybody except Cat and Non has managed to visit the DEO's secret base?

I appreciate that this is supposed to be light entertainment, but that doesn't excuse some of the writing. Those three actors are the primary reason I'm still on board with the show.

• Love 1

I just don't get why The Flash and Supergirl had to be from different universes. I usually assume when I watch a show that it's set in my (our) universe. But obviously, either Supergirl or The Flash (maybe both) are set in an alternate world none of us lives in. I don't understand why that's necessary.

I think the answer is timing.  When Arrow started, the producers wanted to keep the show grounded (no super powers).  They slowly started to back away from that rule when they introduced super powered Slade.  When The Flash started they introduced the world to metahumans and Flash would be that world's first super hero.  It's fairly evident that there was no Superman or Supergirl.  When Supergirl was greenlit, I think TPTB wanted to mine as much of the Superman mythos as possible but realized it just wouldn't work in a superhero universe as new as the Arrow/Flash Earth.

I can't decide if the line about the CW was a jab or praise. It was....odd. 

Back in the day, that would've passed as diversity on CW's predecessor, the WB.  It reminds of a MAD TV skit called "Pretty White Kids with Problems".  It made fun of WB's teen shows that had pretty much all white casts with one token black character.

Me too.  As a regular viewer of the CW-Earth based shows, I will say that it was nice to see The Flash on a show with big boy network production values.  

I wish some of that big boy budget would go toward improving the special FX on Supergirl.  It amazes me how much better the effects are on the Flash versus Supergirl.

I think she meant main characters- Wally is a minor character. I do like that Flash has a lot of minority characters (main and minor, including now the editor and the Chief of police being gay even though he is white) which is nice to see for a CW show.

Couldn't chief Singh be considered a racial minority as well?  Based on his name, I assumed he was Indian.

• Love 1
Speaking of Winn, I don't know how the actor (or the actress playing Siobahn, for that matter) could keep a straight face in their scenes together. SO MUCH MAKEUP. Wow.

OK, I've said many times I would like to see Winn & Kara together, so my opinion on this can be challenged, I admit.

Well I for one loved  Winn & Siobhan's chemistry, too bad she had to become a paranormal  villain but I love Silver Banshee so I have to  deal.

I thought Winn also good chemistry with  Barry, they are total scienc bros, and he has  chemistry with James too.

Couldn't chief Singh be considered a racial minority as well?  Based on his name, I assumed he was Indian.

Maybe, the actor might be italian or something. Flarrow has a history of casting white actors for non white roles.

"Magic."

The ability might be magical, but the effect is physical.  She is emitting a high frequency soundwave.  I prefer to think that it is effective because unlike a solid object that can't penetrate Kara's skin, a sound wave enters directly into the ear canal and disrupts by vibration.  Live Wire is also effective against Kara, electricity can pass through anyone's body,

You can immediately see how much chemistry there is between Barry and Kara in a few scenes, compared to the chemistry (or lack thereof) between James and Kara that they have been building up FOR A WHOLE SEASON now. Stop trying to make it happen, show. Mehcad and Melissa just don't fit well together. When he was acting all jealous, he looked more like a big brother ready to pounce on Barry instead of a jealous lover.

The lack of chemistry between the two actors also didn't help that the supposed big payoff of the kiss since it fell way flat. God bless Melissa as she tried hard to sell the scene, but nice twist on the myriad starting at that moment.

And since when is Cat Grant suddenly interested in Kara's lovelife? And isn't there a rule on CatCo that there should be no personal relationships between co-workers? I believe a tough, take-no-prisoners boss like Cat would have that enforced to the letter instead of actually encouraging Kara. 

And SHE KNOWS! That flick says it all. I think that's why Cat has "softened" her stance a bit on Kara, and how she immediately took Kara's side when Siobhan tried to throw her under the bus. And not only the flick and talking about how she knew about Barry. Cat was confident that Kara was not going to die when Siobhan screamed her off the building. Because she knew she was SG and she'll find a way to save herself.

Since it can't be said enough, Barry and Kara are so cute together! My hubby said SG cannot cross into Barry's world, but I hope they make it happen sometime.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1

My take on it was that Banshee can control what her sound waves do. She can focus mostly on one target, or spread it out onto multiples. And even on one target, she can choose between focusing on the ears to deafen and cause deep pain or on the whole body, to knock someone down.

Because she's magic. I mean, come on, anybody who can find silver contact lenses on short notice like that can pretty much do anything.

• Love 3

I am glad that they made the Flash here the hero he should be on his own show but often is not:

1. Smart

2. Funny

3. Dedicated 

4. Confident (hey, he was dishing out pep talks rather than needing them!)

5. Curious
6. Upholding people's rights. (Did I hear correctly that Flash helped National City PD create holding cells capable of housing metahumans? Because he sure enough hasn't done that on his own friggin' show!)

And since when is Cat Grant suddenly interested in Kara's lovelife? And isn't there a rule on CatCo that there should be no personal relationships between co-workers? I believe a tough, take-no-prisoners boss like Cat would have that enforced to the letter instead of actually encouraging Kara. 

Cat has been interested in "Keira's" love life for a long time. She would make asides about how Kara seemed interested in Jimmy and about the "cute little hobbit who wears even more cardigans than you do." (slight paraphrase). Then of course, when Adam started dating Kara, her interest in what Kara was doing romantically skyrocketed.

To anyone who's watched the episode with producer's commentary: did anyone ever address how Leslie knew to go to the lumber warehouse?

Banshee said she wanted Live Wire to feel at home there. So my fanwank is that her Banshee call thingy has a siren mode, if you will. (I haven't watched the producer's version, so if someone has and they address it, feel free to add it.)

And on another note: Lucy always dressed pretty professionally before, whether in uniform or as KatCo's lawyer. Now that she's head of the DEO, though, she's sporting catsuits, heavy makeup, and post-coital mussy hair? That seemed very out of place to me. Just me? 

Pretty much everyone at the DEO wears those form-fitting uniforms. Re: Lucy, I'll allow it. 

Dammit! It didn't record! So hopefully it will be up On Deman tonight.

I've read most of the comments, but I gotta know: did Barry and Kara siiiing??????

Tragically, no.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 4

(Did I hear correctly that Flash helped National City PD create holding cells capable of housing metahumans? Because he sure enough hasn't done that on his own friggin' show!)

Actually, he has. (It's been talked about in a line here or there, but CCPD has cells for metas. Tho', to your point, it took 'em over a season to do so, even after building the Pipeline. But that's for The Flash boards.)

What I hated was the 'you taught me to respect criminals' civil rights, James' bull.  Kara doesn't kill like some grimdark person. She understands that the DEO is holding folks, against whom normal justice would be hard to enact, like Astra and Leslie. Only now, Leslie can receive a proper trial for attempted murder, twice now, and accessory to attempted murder ( for going along with Siobhan.) The career criminals from Fort Rozz are so out of the realm for Earth justice systems, that DEO actually is the best place. Unfortunately, the potential downside is "stockpiling" of captured aliens ( not in the US), to hedge against the US having and using those captives against other, more paranoid countries.

But yeah, Kara already knew right from wrong; a momentary/situational lapse doesn't automatically mean Kara's all 'I'll mow 'em all down from now on!' I want Kara to be sunny and aware, not Lawful Stupid.

On the shallow end? Those cupcakes looked yummy and I really liked Kara's yellow dress. (Much better than the quickly left pink/gray outfit.)

I don't watch The Flash or read any of the comic books. Is there any significance to that gold thing strapped across his chest? I noticed he had to fasten it at the end before he and Kara took off in a race.

iMonrey . . . In the current storyline, Barry is trying to get powered up to face Zoom. I think the device is used for tracking. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else, since it looks similar to what Firestorm wears after his "components" merge.

ETA: Anybody else expect Kara to draw back a stump after reaching for Cat's cupcakes?

Omigosh! Loved it! This show is getting better and better and it really cheered me up after a week from hell which is just what a show called Supergirl should do. Loved Kara and Barry's instant chem, Loved how Winn and Barry had their own little language going on, loved Jimmy's jealousy, loved Kara not having to feel alone with Barry around and her having someone to talk to, relate to and bounce ideas off of. Loved Silver Banshee and LiveWire's team up, loved Cat (as always). Oh this episode was all I hoped it would be. Bonus points for Kara's adorbs reaction to the ice cream and the firefighters and people saving Supergirl. :) WIN!!!

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

"Magic."

I did not know that magic was a classic Kryptonian weakness.  Learn something new every day.  :)

I don't watch The Flash or read any of the comic books. Is there any significance to that gold thing strapped across his chest? I noticed he had to fasten it at the end before he and Kara took off in a race.

It's probably something to gather and/or enhance the "speed force" that gives Barry his powers. He has been trying to get faster on his own show.

• Love 1