Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I think ho-yay is going the way of the dodo, however, because gay pairings are now more mainstream.  Case in point... on Person of Interest, it's pretty much mainstream opinion now that Root and Shaw are the show's actual ship.  There's no sense of nudge-nudge wink-wink about it, any more than the usual frisson that comes with a potential actual ship that hasn't come to fruition yet.  (Actually, I always thought Root was computersexual, but...)

What I can't stand about ho-yay is that very often, the actors don't play into it (or don't care, preferring to play the characters as written), but it becomes so real for the fandom that it takes over every effing discussion about the characters.  It's such a cliche, and as such, is boring and unexciting to me.  I don't understand the obsession with trying to make hetero characters gay when they clearly aren't written as gay.  (Actual gay characters would be so much more satisfying...)  That said, in recent years, show writers have been buying into ho-yay and writing it in, which I also find a bit tiresome in this modern age (come on, just make them openly gay or bi, already!), but not as tiresome as the obsessions that are made up of whole cloth. :-)

But, it's a free country!  Ho-yay away...

Edited by Jipijapa
  • Love 12

The hoyay on L & O SVU between Olivia and Alexandra Cabot that people were posting the actresses were also gay.   Despite absolutely no evidence of that (married to men, kids, etc)., they would take every little utterance made by the actresses and discuss it as "proof" that the actress was gay but hiding it.   Seriously folks.   Get. A. Grip.

• Love 3
I think it depends on whether or not you like the pairing. At one point on General Hospital, a couple of the characters were dancing around each other as if they were going to be together. The couple was never actually official, but people who liked them together called them Liaison, for Liz and Jason. People who did not like the pairing called them Jiz.

I was just wondering yesterday if anyone has decided to use "MonRosalie/MonroeSalie" for Monroe and Rosalie on Grimm. I don't read the forum so I actually have no idea, but I guess it works better than "Spuffy." 

I don't like The Nutcracker. I don't know what the hell a sugarplum is. I just don't get the whole thing.

I hate A Charlie Brown Christmas. In fact, I hate all things Charlie Brown and have since I was too little to articulate that I didn't want to watch the "specials."

Speaking of, I tried live tweeting once, and it was entirely too distracting.  I like to pay attention to what's actually happening on screen, not reacting and providing commentary.  I feel like that's a significant part of why some viewers see things that aren't there, or didn't actually happen, and I've observed discussion forums completely derail because of stuff that didn't even occur in an episode. It's not a new phenomenon, but it's a growing one.

I do not get the "two-screen experience" or whatever, and I say that as a maniacal multi-tasker at work and at home. I want to see the show that I make a point to watch--each and every little bit of it! Especially when that show is something like The Walking Dead with so much shit going down, or Mad Men for which I have to wait 32 years between seasons. Why on earth am I encouraged by the networks to not to pay attention to shows that took so much time and effort to create?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

This. I love A Christmas Story, but I am so happy that I have the DVD, because although it technically means I can watch it whenever I want, it also keeps me from being tempted to watch the annual 24 hour marathons. I am perfectly happy watching it once during the Christmas season, twice if I really want to watch it again--but if I were to put on the marathon every year, I'd probably lose my fucking mind.

I love the marathon, not just because I love the movie but because, as someone who needs a TV to fall asleep (and is picky about what's on the TV as I fall asleep -- it can't be too interesting but it also can't be the opposite either), I can just leave it on that channel and forget about flipping around. It's all Hallmark's fault, really, because of its horrific late-night lineup in November and December!

• Love 1
What I can't stand about ho-yay is that very often, the actors don't play into it (or don't care, preferring to play the characters as written), but it becomes so real for the fandom that it takes over every effing discussion about the characters.  It's such a cliche, and as such, is boring and unexciting to me.  I don't understand the obsession with trying to make hetero characters gay when they clearly aren't written as gay.  (Actual gay characters would be so much more satisfying...)  That said, in recent years, show writers have been buying into ho-yay and writing it in, which I also find a bit tiresome in this modern age (come on, just make them openly gay or bi, already!), but not as tiresome as the obsessions that are made up of whole cloth. :-)

As an avid crack-shipper, I've cut entire relationships out of whole cloth. Part of it for me is that I'm usually much more interested in non-canon relationships, the ones the writers don't go for because they're too wedded (so to speak) to pre-determined ones. I can't speak for other people, obviously, but for me it's a matter of chemistry, which is subjective. Before I got tired of Olivia Benson in general, I was much more invested in her non-canon relationships (Alex, Casey, Amanda) than I was in any of the guys she was supposed to be dating. And then Hargitay got either skittish about or skeeved by the fact that people were shipping her character with various other women, which IMO led her to inject her own personality into her performances, bringing about the birth of 'Oliska.' Which was not a good thing.

Doesn't HoYay perpetuate somewhat dangerous stereotypes? That two people of the same sex (or two people, really) can't be affectionate or have chemistry or sometimes just have a conversation without there being some kind of subtext? That's always the way I've read into it anyway.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 5

I don't know what the hell a sugarplum is.

Sugarplums.  They're not bad either!

Unless you've seriously put time and effort into a show bible and mytharc, please don't create a show that's supposed to have an encompassing theme when all you're going to do is make it up as you go along.

This.  It's worse still when there is a bible or set of rules which out of desperation, are broken by TPTB.  I think of Quantum Leap in which one of the rules was that Sam would never leap into somone famous (he ended up leaping into a young Elvis and Lee Harvey Oswald) or something preposterous (leaping into a chimp).  There was a plan to leap Sam into a dog and an infant;  luckily the show limped to an end before that happened.

I think of Quantum Leap in which one of the rules was that Sam would never leap into somone famous (he ended up leaping into a young Elvis and Lee Harvey Oswald) or something preposterous (leaping into a chimp).

I don't think the rules ever involved something preposterous,  but definitely he was not supposed to leap into famous people or outside of his own lifetime.  And, coincidentally, this is when I stopped watching the show.

I don't mind when a show violates its bible (ie, character backgrounds etc) or changes its mytharc... but when a showrunner says "there are rules," and then blatantly breaks them because they're running out of ideas, that's a dealbreaker for me.  (And I still love QL, btw... but just refused to watch those episodes)

Doesn't HoYay perpetuate somewhat dangerous stereotypes? That two people of the same sex (or two people, really) can't be affectionate or have chemistry or sometimes just have a conversation without there being some kind of subtext?

My chief escape from the threat of fan Ho-Yay has always been the father-son, or even older man-younger man friendship... the age difference seems to scare off the ho-yay fangirls (and thank god the parental relationship usually does).  

I love The Californians too, it might help I'm a native Californian. They just crack me up. I don't mind Fred Armisen either, in fact I really like him and his brand of comedy. Kristen Wiig, however, I am TIRED of. She can go away.

• Love 1

About the only thing that bugs me about hoyay is when it crosses the line to queerbaiting. Having a pair of friends who have subtext-filled exchanges does not mean you have a gay couple on the show!

I actually saw this when Elementary was starting (and I've since seen this in other fandoms) -- the Elementary writers were accused of homophobia by Sherlock fans (well, Johnlock shippers) because they cast Watson as a woman. I mean what? You do know that Watson and Sherlock on the BBC show aren't actually a couple, right?

• Love 8

I'm usually fine with what fellow TV fans do re shipping or not shipping (except when shipping a particular couple or would-be couple takes over ALL discussion of the show at the exclusion of any other topic!) and don't care one way or the other re mashing up couple names for the sake of convenience. But the one Internet posting habit that drives me irrationally nuts is when people write "I has a sad" when something happens on screen that they deem unfortunate. "I have a sad" would be annoying enough, but "I HAS"?! Ugh...flames on the side of my face hate. I warned you guys this wasn't rational :) 

• Love 6

Lolcats are taking over the world, obviously.

To keep on topic, my UO is that I hate when shows shove a character down our throats as being the most attractive ever and everyone loves them. In fact, the more they do that, the less attractive I find said character and the more attractive I find other characters. For example, Penny on Big Bang Theory and Bernadette.

• Love 5
To keep on topic, my UO is that I hate when shows shove a character down our throats as being the most attractive ever and everyone loves them.

This is such a pet peeve of mine. The more other characters clunkily remark on how gorgeous/brilliant/generally awesome a given character is, the more likely my contrarian inner 11-year-old and I are to think of all the reasons said character is really not so great at all :) And if he/she were that wonderful, why couldn't the writers trust us to pick that up based on their actual actions rather than having to inform us through awkward dialogue?! 

• Love 4

To keep on topic, my UO is that I hate when shows shove a character down our throats as being the most attractive ever and everyone loves them.

Marissa Cooper. I believe another character actually referred to her as "the most beautiful girl in the history of high school."

Also, on Agents of SHIELD last year it was really hard to not roll your eyes every time Coulson started going on about how awesome Skye was. SO GLAD they toned that down this year. It makes me like Skye like eight billion times more (there's also the fact that she won't give Ward the time of day, shot him four times and walked away without looking back).

• Love 1

This is such a pet peeve of mine. The more other characters clunkily remark on how gorgeous/brilliant/generally awesome a given character is, the more likely my contrarian inner 11-year-old and I are to think of all the reasons said character is really not so great at all :) And if he/she were that wonderful, why couldn't the writers trust us to pick that up based on their actual actions rather than having to inform us through awkward dialogue?! 

This is particularly annoying for me when the character is quirky or otherwise socially "inappropriate or awkward," yet it's alright because they are brilliant or special.  Never mind that they're generally an ass.  This is probably why I tend to dislike a fair share of TV leads, especially male leads. 

You all are not missing much. I have the bad habit of needing background noise, so I turn on the tv in the 7 o clock hour and this is on. I usually read with it on I'm in the background, and look up occasionally and roll my eyes at it. It is two and a half men but with nerds basically.

• Love 3
Doesn't HoYay perpetuate somewhat dangerous stereotypes? That two people of the same sex (or two people, really) can't be affectionate or have chemistry or sometimes just have a conversation without there being some kind of subtext? That's always the way I've read into it anyway.

That's the down side if you go too far with it. Hoyay is supposed to be fun. Like Krycek on the X Files because you can slash him with literally anyone in the universe of television.

Methos/MacLeod was always my favorite. Because when you have characters on the show who are routinely centuries to millennia old, don't tell me that they haven't had some homosexual relationships at one point or another. Even if they were just dalliances. And good for the show, they had a canon male couple for one of the episodes. This was early 90s. 

What I don't like is the flip side: when a character does have a same sex affair, fandom canonizes them as Queer. Well, maybe, but one affair doesn't make for a sexuality overhaul. Sometimes what you see is what it is.

This really bothers me on OITNB where the main character was in one fairly long term same sex relationship, but the show deliberately went out of the way *not* to have the character label herself. She literally had one line of dialogue addressing it. 

The problem is TPTBs who write for tv know shit about actual people. Either their jamming together characters that no one is interesting in seeing in a relationship or they write Teh Ghey. And forget any legit bisexual people. You don't have to write differently based on a character's gender for who they like. 

Edited by ganesh

I don't watch a lot of scripted shows, but generally aren't the only bi-sexual characters women? Just going by what I read on online forums, it appears that gay male characters are just that - gay, but the fans of certain shows suggest or want these same male characters to be bisexual and the writers don't comply. Maybe I'm wrong, so correct me if I am. I've only noticed the female characters to be outright bisexual and not the men; also curious to know if it's true, why is that a problem.  

I don't watch a lot of scripted shows, but generally aren't the only bi-sexual characters women? Just going by what I read on online forums, it appears that gay male characters are just that - gay, but the fans of certain shows suggest or want these same male characters to be bisexual and the writers don't comply. Maybe I'm wrong, so correct me if I am. I've only noticed the female characters to be outright bisexual and not the men; also curious to know if it's true, why is that a problem.  

It depends on what you mean by bisexual, because the majority of gay storylines involve at least one of the couple who used to think he was solely interested in women.

• Love 2
It depends on what you mean by bisexual, because the majority of gay storylines involve at least one of the couple who used to think he was solely interested in women.

I guess what I'm getting at is in relation to what you just stated. Is there ever any male characters originally written as bisexual and not in denial or unaware about his homosexuality; ie dating a woman then a man? If not, is this a problem and why? 

I guess what I'm getting at is in relation to what you just stated. Is there ever any male characters originally written as bisexual and not in denial or unaware about his homosexuality; ie dating a woman then a man? If not, is this a problem and why? 

This might not be the best example to use, but on Days Of Our Lives, Will Horton started being conflicted about his sexuality, realizing that he was attracted to guys. He made out with a random male day player, and then later had unprotected sex with Gabi Hernandez, the sister of his mother's ex-husband. (Don't ask.) The one night stand resulted in a baby, and then various and sundry craziness happened.The last time I watched, Will was in a relationship with Sonny Kiriakis, and Gabi and the baby were living with them. It was all pretty muddled.

• Love 2

I don't think the Will example counts because it was pretty much the typical soap opera gay storyline - guy is confused about his sexuality, has sex with a woman to prove he isn't gay, typical soap fashion she gets pregnant but he and the guy he wanted the whole time eventually get together and ultimately he's gay, not bisexual. Long before Days did it, ATWT did it with Luke and Noah, except they thankfully avoided the unwanted pregnancy when Noah slept with Maddie. And on that one, Noah was dating Maddie and eventually it was confirmed that he was just gay, not bisexual. One Life to Live did the same storyline with Fish and Oliver and that one produced a baby too. 

I definitely get what yourpointis is asking and I can't say right off the top of my head I can think of any character. I've heard on Dr. Who (is that the right one) the main character is pansexual but I can't say for certain because I've never watched the show. And even Glee, which prides itself on supposedly being so progressive, never had a male bisexual character either. The only bisexual character is Brittany. I definitely think that the lack of male bisexual characters may be because of some wariness and/or hesitation on the parts of network execs/showrunners to show a male character fully engaged sexually with females and men and the notion that it's more acceptable to see with a woman.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Who? The Doctor? I think you mean Captain Jack. But he bangs aliens too. 

I don't know of any bi males on tv. I'm talking about, hey, I bang dudes and chicks, ya wanna hang out? kind of person.

• Love 2
I definitely think that the lack of male bisexual characters may be because of some wariness and/or hesitation on the parts of network execs/showrunners to show a male character fully engaged sexually with females and men and the notion that it's more acceptable to see with a woman.

Yes this is exactly the point I was trying to make and sorry if this is the wrong thread for this topic (it may not be an unpopular opinion, but it appears to be an unpopular storyline heh). It's 2014 and with all the progression of LGBT characters on tv (and films) why isn't there an already established bisexual male character on a tv show. Thank you Rick Kitchen, Cobalt Stargazer, and truthaboutluv for trying to make sense out of my befuddlement. 

OT: what the hell happened to Days of Our Lives? I haven't watched in years. I think I was in Jr High or a freshman when Bo and Hope got married and skipped school to see the event. {Hee} Is Sonny Kiriakis any relation to Stephano and Will to Alice? No, don't answer those questions lol. 

I think ho-yay is going the way of the dodo, however, because gay pairings are now more mainstream.

Yeah, but there's still a long way to go, which is why I cut hoyay people a lot of slack, as long as they don't go full-on delusional in acting like it's actually canon (e.g. minneapple's example of Johnlock fans being a prime example IMO) or extend it into RL shipping. 

And as far as perpetuating stereotypes about how two people of the same sex can't be just friends goes... there are still a lot of people who insist on seeing platonic same-sex relationships as the default, why can't two people of the same gender just be friends, and I think that attitude is a million times worse. (Because IME despite what I said in the above paragraph, at least most of the people reading hoyay into everything don't actually kid themselves into thinking that it's canon. Obviously there are exceptions, though.) Like all the people insisting that they didn't see the implications of the final scene of Legend of Korra, Korra and Asami were totally only friends, there was nothing romantic about their relationship, etc. I'm someone who doesn't always get subtext - Rowling's revelation about Dumbledore came out of nowhere for me - but that scene was pretty freakin' obvious. At least Bryke came along and shut things down. 

Who? The Doctor? I think you mean Captain Jack. But he bangs aliens too. 

I don't know of any bi males on tv. I'm talking about, hey, I bang dudes and chicks, ya wanna hang out? kind of person.

Nolan Ross on "Revenge" is bi.  He declared himself a 3 on the Kinsey scale.

OT: what the hell happened to Days of Our Lives? I haven't watched in years. I think I was in Jr High or a freshman when Bo and Hope got married and skipped school to see the event. {Hee} Is Sonny Kiriakis any relation to Stephano and Will to Alice? No, don't answer those questions lol.

Sonny Kiriakis is the son of Justin and Adrienne Kiriakis.  Justin is the nephew of Victor Kiriakis.  Bo and Hope have divorced just recently, because the show wrote Bo off and he disappeared and left Hope and their daughter Ciara in Salem with no forwarding address.

Will is the son of Lucas Horton (Alice's grandson) and Sami Brady.

• Love 3

I hate A Charlie Brown Christmas. In fact, I hate all things Charlie Brown and have since I was too little to articulate that I didn't want to watch the "specials."

Good grief. I'm curious--why don't you like good ol' Chuck?

• Love 2

Hollyoaks had a fantastic bi-sexual (and cross dressing) character in Kris Fisher. He was very popular, too, but the actor left for greener pastures as most do on the show. Currently, a newer character, Lockie Campbell, has been said to be bi-sexual. Married, he has yet to be with a guy on-screen, but the show seems to be building on the attraction between him and his wife's cousin, John Paul McQueen, who himself is getting married this week.

Good grief. I'm curious--why don't you like good ol' Chuck?

Haha--I just don't know! It just has always gotten under my skin, even as a little kid. One of my favorite memories of my ex is being at his family's house at Christmas and hearing his brother-in-law mutter, "I haaaate it" under his breath when A Charlie Brown Christmas was on the TV. I felt like I was not alone!

Tim Bayliss on Homicide:LOTS was bisexual.  And then after he'd been dating men for a while, they tried to pair him off with a female detective and fans bitched about that big time. Because Tim already had enough issues and had suffered enough that he never should have been paired with a horribly annoying character played by the excruciating Michael Michelle.

You could argue that in Oz,  Chris Keller was bisexual and not just a situational homosexual while he was in prison. Probably the same for Beecher.

Unpopular The Voice opinion: other than having a bit of a soft spot for Shakira, I really don't care which coach wins the show. And I miss season 1-2 Cee-lo before I realized what a sleaze he was and when he cared enough to do some freakishly entertaining stage shows for his singers.

Edited by selkie
  • Love 5

Clara from Doctor Who is probably one of my favorite companions. I enjoyed her from the start. Though, I did not love a lot about season 8 with the storyline, the Doctor, and Clara. One thing I like about her (and Martha) was that they had lives and careers outside of the Doctor.

• Love 5

Clara from Doctor Who is probably one of my favorite companions. I enjoyed her from the start. Though, I did not love a lot about season 8 with the storyline, the Doctor, and Clara. One thing I like about her (and Martha) was that they had lives and careers outside of the Doctor.

Misslindsey, can we be friends? I happen to love Clara. I like her bossiness, and I love that she questions the Doctor and doesn't follow him blindly.
  • Love 3

It may not be unpopular here (maybe slightly unpopular), but, and I'm basing this on what I've read from articles and reviews on IO9 and The AV Club along with my own viewing experience, but I can't stand The Twelfth Doctor.

He's arrogant.

He's abrasive.

He's wrong too often.

And yet, fans and reviewers on the sites I mentioned love him, some even more so than Ten or Eleven.  This boggles and infuriates me.  Ten and Eleven may have there flaws, but Twelve seems to take the nastier bits of the Doctor and magnifies them to the point that the bad far outweighs the good.

At least, in my eyes.  And it's not Capaldi's acting.  He's a great actor.  It's the character I can't stand.

• Love 2

Joining in on the Twelfth Doctor hate. I think the writers sensed a lot people thought Twelfth was a plain and simple jerk, so they tried make him a teensy, weensy bit better toward the end, but by that time it was way too little, way too late for me. I hated the way he treated poor Clara. There's good-natured ribbing between friends (think Tenth and Donna), and then there's full-on abuse. Constantly mocking someone's looks, age, weight, love life, or whatever isn't funny, it's mean. The fact that Clara never got angry or offended, never fired back, and just took this verbal assault from the Doctor pissed me off. Hell, I knew I was in for a rough ride when Clara made a minor mistake, and the Doctor bemoaned, "I miss Amy" (never mind that he'd known Clara as Eleventh for quite some time, and they were very close friends, so there's no reason for him to say this other than to be an asshole).

I'm biased because I loathe Amy, so can someone please answer the million dollar question:

What the ever-loving hell did Amy Pond ever do that was so fan-friggin'-tastic?!

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 3

To me, Clara and Amy were both examples of showrunners insisting the character is superspecialsnowflake by having all of the other characters say so over and over instead of showing the character doing something remarkable. The more it's told and not shown the more I distrust and dislike the character.

As for companions, the only one I've really liked since Moffat took over was young Amelia Pond.

Since were all talking about "Doctor Who", I have to take a deep breath and say, I did not like the Ninth Doctor.

The jury's still out on Twelve.

I'm biased because I loathe Amy, so can someone please ask the million dollar question:

What the ever-loving hell did Amy Pond ever do that was so fan-friggin'-tastic?!

She did Rory. I don't hate Amy, but her super-specialness did grate at times, but I put up with it to watch Arthur Darvill. :D

• Love 2

I'm biased because I loathe Amy, so can someone please ask the million dollar question:

I loathe Amy too. I didn't like Amy from pretty much the start when she was somewhat leading Rory on for what seemed like forever, and when she tried to sex up the Doctor on the night before her wedding (was it the night before? I do not re-watch the Amy Pond years that often). She took off with the Doctor a night before her wedding. I know. I know. They were in a time machine, where she can come back at the same time, but it just felt off too me. Not a way to make me like a character. Sigh....I did like Rory though, but I hated that Amy and Rory were referred to as the Pond's so often. 

I loathe River Song as well. I hate how smug and know-it-all she was. Also, it felt weird that The Doctor got with Amy and Rory's daughter.

I will echo the Twelve hate. I could never imagine Nine, Ten, or Eleven treating their companions the way Twelve treated Clara. Also, I liked Nine, Ten, and Eleven pretty equally. I did not have a favorite among them. I liked them all for different reasons, so I was disappointed that I was really not liking Twelve.

• Love 2

While I don't loathe her, I never understood what the big deal was either.  To the point that I actually asked several of my friends that love her.  Every single one answered the same "She looks great in a short skirt".  Wha?  She is certainly attractive, but to the point they ignored or overlooked everything else about her?  And that's also quite misogynistic, is it not?

I put River Song and the 9th doctor into the same category - fine but again not "all that" - so I don't get what the big deal is about them either.  Although, in River's case IS tarted out loathing her, so to end on liking her OK was quite a transition.

My biggest Dr Who UO is Family of Blood two parter thing were two dof my least favorite episoes due to the overly dramatic angst fest.  And that stupid women who insisted that by becoming the Doctor again he had "erased"?  "killed"? the man she knew.  WT everliving F woman?!?  That man was a part of the Doctor, just not all he was.  I can still see having a hard time accepting the change in him, but geez!  Why to drama queen it up there.  And it's not like she was the only one - everything was so overly wrought.  Gah!  I've only watched it once and it still irritates me.

Back to Sherlock for a moment: I hate how much of a jerk he is in every adaptation. Yes, he is more analytical than sensitive, but ACD continually mentions how gentle he is with clients. Yet every show has him being obnoxious with everyone. Drives me crazy.

• Love 2