Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

One of my biggest peeves in this modern explosion of original content is that shows aren't allowed to be good. Or even fun for that matter. It's either the Best Thing Ever or it sucks. 

And right away.  No waiting to see if it can sustain the high or if it gets better.  

I usually don't give a damn what Actor X thinks about their character - I care about how they portray the character.

This is the main reason why I'm kind of over Game of Thrones. The Walking Dead does this too. Every day after an episode, there's articles, "here's what Major Character has to say about Their Major scene." 

I actually think it's condescending and insulting. If I'm watching the show and paying attention and interpret a scene in one way [within reason], and then the actor says, 'no he was thinking this.' Well, no, because that's not what I took away from the episode. Why is my viewing experience suddenly invalid? 

Over at the other place, I used to see a lot of "well, the actor said such and such, so that's what they must have meant in that scene." As if what the actor says afterward is the canon interpretation. Sorry, no. 

• Love 5

My UO: Chicago PD is a far superior show so Chicago Fire which is now so soapy and all about Gabby Dawson that I can't even stand to watch it.

Not sure this is an UO. lol. Whatever Chicago Fire started out being, it is shit now. I have mentioned this repeatedly in their respective forums. That show is a clusterfuck looking for a safe place to be cancelled. I will never understand how it consistently gets better ratings than Chicago PD. Its is a superior show in every way you can measure.

The Walking Dead does this too. Every day after an episode, there's articles, "here's what Major Character has to say about Their Major scene." 

I actually think it's condescending and insulting. If I'm watching the show and paying attention and interpret a scene in one way [within reason], and then the actor says, 'no he was thinking this.' Well, no, because that's not what I took away from the episode. Why is my viewing experience suddenly invalid? 

Over at the other place, I used to see a lot of "well, the actor said such and such, so that's what they must have meant in that scene." As if what the actor says afterward is the canon interpretation. Sorry, no. 

I am one of those who live tweets, and actually responds to other tweeters in real time during my fav shows. But what I won't do is click on the tweets that contain exactly what you are talking about. I like the interaction with people who also love the same shows that I do, as clear by my typing right now at 1:20 in the damn morning. But I won't have the "show" or those that critique a show professionally, tell what the fuck I should think or feel. That's a very UO, but I get where you are coming from, and completely agree.

edited b/c realized baby made a doodie... Chicago Fire bad, Chicago PD VERY VERY good. Hulk go smash self now. Please do send hot ass Jason Beghe (Voight) to punish me.

Edited by 2KllMckngBrd

Live tweeting is just another way to watch a show with friends. Even if an actor chimes in with a "We knew you all were going to love that scene. We did like 15 takes to make sure we got it right. We're super psyched." That's nbd. 

I would think as an actor or showrunner, knowing you have a shrewd fan base is going to make you work harder. Which is why I find it mind boggling that every show doesn't have a bible. 

• Love 1

I had to turn off any and all Haven media related things. Pretty sure because Twitter is out to get me with crap news every time I check my feed. Really, I'm trying to go with the flow, watch the show on Saturday night and move on after it finishes. And no, unfollowing people does not work. I tried.

I too have to give shows five episodes before deciding if they're worth my time and devotion. Not many of them have passed that test lately though.

All this discussion about the length a time a show needs to get good reminds me of the debate over the last Star Trek series, Enterprise. It came at a time when TV was changing...shows were starting to be streamed online, many were being filmed digitally, and TiVO/DVR recordings were to be added to ratings the season following its cancelation.

Many of its fans put forth the argument that because the other Trek series took a few seasons to warm up, that Enterprise too deserved that as well. But the other shows, beside Voyager, were syndicated, and there were fewer options for entertainment let alone genre shows then as there was when Enterprise came about.

As someone that was introduced to Trek via this show, no show should need four seasons to figure itself out. That it remained on the air as long as it did can be attributed solely because of the title, and almost zilch to do with its merits as a show.

And since I'm on the topic of Enterprise, my UO is that I was not a big Trip fangirl. By process of elimination, I get that he was the most well rounded and palpable of the main cast (which ranged from Fitz Grant prototype in Archer to Seven of Nine clone to cardboard cutout in the case of Travis Mayweather), but he didn't do a whole lot for me. And no way would I ever think he was much better to be a captain than Archer was--the guy was just as quick to blow off T'Pol for the first two seasons as Archer was.

Honestly, my Darren Criss unpopular opinion is that I find some of the Glee fandom's hate for him kind of over the top and excessive. It seemed that for some, Glee's falling apart and becoming an embarrassing mess seemed to be put solely on him and that makes no sense to me. If anyone is to blame for the joke Glee has become it's the writers. As to not understanding why he's liked or has fans I guess, honestly, in my opinion it's pretty simple. He's a good looking, charming guy.

I agree 100%! You'd think he shot someone's dog or slapped someone's grandmother with the amount of hate he gets!

UO: I still like Sleepy Hollow. I like Hawley and Sheriff Reyes. I think it's early in the season and we'll see Jenny and Irving by and by. I don't think Abbie is relegated to being "the help." I don't think Ichabod is an asshat or that Katrina is an albatross around the show's neck. I think John Noble is still fun to watch. In short, while it's got going pains this season I still look forward to it every week. And I'm thinking maybe I should just avoid any discussion of it until people calm down?

Can I sit with you? While I don't think think this season is perfect, I'm definitely still enjoying it. I have to laugh at all of the fans complaining about the lack of Jenny in current episodes, as I seem remember a lot of people hating her last season.

I always liked Jenny so I really miss her and the Mills sisters dynamic, especially since it's so rare to have that kind of female relationship given so much complexity front and center on a show.

My UO is that I don't miss Irving. I actually feel kinda bad about that because I like Orlando Jones and he is such a super fan of SH and seems so happy to be in the cast, but ehhh.

I also think Hawley is smoking hot and wouldn't have minded something between him and Abbie if he hadn't already slept with her sister. What the heck were you thinking show?

This ties back to my earlier post, but apparently, one had to watch The Talking Dead in order to get some critical character development about what happened on The Walking Dead; i.e., the actual show. Although, I inferred mostly correct so I got the point of the episode. 

But this is ridiculous and crosses the line. Come on.

• Love 2

I don't watch The Walking Dead, but my sister does.  The last time I visited, I was in the room when she watched the show.  And then...The Talking Dead came on.  There's actually a TV show dedicated to talking about another specific show? That comes on right after? And there was an actor (and a writer I think) talking about what happened during the episode.  Just...what? I do not understand the purpose of this at all.  If I, as a viewer, just watched the show, yet I need to watch ANOTHER show to get a/the point of what happened during the ACTUAL show, why the hell would I watch the actual show? What kind of convoluted fuckery is that?      

• Love 5

I don't watch TTD, but from what I gather, it's more like a live podcast where they get together to talk about the show. Which is fine. But with this particular episode for some reason, whether the network demanded it or not, the backstory for one of the characters was poorly executed so everyone was posting about how they explained it all on the TTD. I don't want to spoil.

Which, sorry. I didn't see that on the screen, and it was really hard to infer it from what I was watching. So you can have Jesus on TTD after the show explaining what happened, but it actually didn't from my pov. 

This is the problem I was talking about last week with the use of social media being a poorly used tool that takes away from the crafting of a strong tv episode. 

• Love 1

I've tried watching The Walking Dead a couple of times,trying to understand why its so popular.  All I've ever seen is some scruffy people walking around a countryside/abandoned town/compound/whatever and, oh yeah, occasionally they kill a few slow-moving zombies.  Every.Damn.Time.

I do not get the appeal.

• Love 5

I don't watch TTD, but from what I gather, it's more like a live podcast where they get together to talk about the show.

I've always thought of a podcast as the Internet's version of a radio talk show.  I've listened to a few podcasts on various topics (not necessarily TV-related), and while I couldn't get into them, it's good they are available for those who enjoy the medium and passionate enough to seek them out.  It was just ridiculous to me that The Talking Dead is a TV talk show (I think there was a studio audience) solely dedicated to The Walking Dead.  I can't remember the details, as this was several months ago, but those on the show seemed to be explaining further what happened during the episode.  Which made me no sense to me, because...we just watched the damn episode.  What was there to explain? But then maybe I didn't care enough since I'm not a regular viewer and to LydiaMoon1's point, what I saw amounted to a group of scruffy folks walking in the woods and killing a few zombies.  I'm sure the show is deeper than that, and if I watched from season 1, episode 1, I might even get into it. But I've seen all of two episodes, and nothing in those episodes compelled me to start from the beginning. 

I have no problem with the show itself - I'm fine with not being interested in a popular show.  But that Talking Dead mess confounds me. Though I suppose it is convenient for those into podcasts.

I don't watch The Walking Dead, but my sister does.  The last time I visited, I was in the room when she watched the show.  And then...The Talking Dead came on.  There's actually a TV show dedicated to talking about another specific show? That comes on right after? And there was an actor (and a writer I think) talking about what happened during the episode.  Just...what? I do not understand the purpose of this at all.  If I, as a viewer, just watched the show, yet I need to watch ANOTHER show to get a/the point of what happened during the ACTUAL show, why the hell would I watch the actual show? What kind of convoluted fuckery is that?      

Canadian TV has an after-show to talk about "Degrassi".

• Love 1

Teen Wolf also has an aftershow called Wolf Watch. (And Jeff Davis has to explain plot holes all the time because Teen Wolf is really poorly written.)

I actually love hearing about the creative process and why creators chose to make a show or a scene or whatever the way they chose to make it. I like all that behind-the-scenes stuff, I love listening to DVD commentaries, particularly if they're by a writer or actor whose work I enjoy. But yes, It's annoying when actors/writers/showrunners have to "fill in the blanks" about stuff that should have been clear on screen. It's fair to interpret stuff differently and it's even fair for a writer or showrunner to say, "this is what I was trying to get across and many viewers saw it differently," but when large plot holes have to be explained by writers, that signals poor writing.

• Love 4
It's fair to interpret stuff differently and it's even fair for a writer or showrunner to say, "this is what I was trying to get across and many viewers saw it differently," but when large plot holes have to be explained by writers, that signals poor writing.

After season sux of BTVS, Joss Whedon either did a podcast or had a press conference type thing and explained to everyone present that Spike's intention was always to get a soul, not have the chip removed. This was despite that James Marsters played the scenes prior to that as very angry and vengeful, and he even said the line, "I'm going to give that bitch what she deserves." Apparently Whedon clued in a bit late that this might bode ill for the idea that Spike was in love with Buffy, and was in fact going to become her biggest cheerleader for the final season, so he said something to the effect of, "No, no, I was only fooling, I didn't want everyone to really think he was going to come back and kill her! It's love! Really!"

• Love 1

On the Star Trek Enterprise DVD se for season two, there's and entire segment dedicated to defending the abomination known as "A Night in Sick Bay," which were it not for the finale would have been the worst hour of that show's existence. The episode was centered around Archer being a grumpy puss because him pet beagle contracted a lethsl pathogen that the alien goverent should've told him about. That's not even the snowflake on the tip of that iceberg and there are plent more reviews out there that do it most justice than I can.

But the segment basically had the actors and Rick Berman the producer saying in so many words that oh, this is supposed to be funny and that Trek fandom is uptight...and after the pissing that came with the recent movies they aren't wrong, but I don't any worse of fans not wanting an episode to revolve around the captain's sick dog that he could've prevented by leaving it on the ship. Or even better, on Earth. And it says nothing good about the producers that the idiots needed to defends this piece of garbage instead of discuss what few worthwhile things there were to discuss in that season.

(hence, the upcoming show "starring" Gerardo *bka Rico Suave*)

My UO will be that I am watching this show. 

Our spanish teacher in HS didn't care what we talked about as long as it was in Spanish. So we broke down all the lyrics to the song and people did the dance and everything. Teacher: This guy doesn't sound so nice. 

• Love 2

Spike wanting a soul instead of a chip was a clear retcon of the character. But the character was already a mess by the time that happened anyway. IMO upgrading Marsters to a regular was the big mistake. Spike was a character who worked best in a recurring role.

I get that showrunners make mistakes, I get that they're human, I get that they regret writing stuff a certain way. I can forgive a lot if I like your characters. But don't come to twitter or tumblr with your half-baked retcons and weak plot fillers and tell me to understand. Jeff Davis threw a fit not long ago because Teen Wolf fans were so confused by Derek's age and timeline that they kept asking about it. The upshot of his tantrum was basically "get over it." Of course this is the showrunner who wrote a character who survived a house fire years ago, disappeared and returned and we never found out how she survived or where she had been. And then Cora left again because Adelaide Kane was cast in Reign, so I guess we're just supposed to forget she exists.

• Love 1

Spike wanting a soul instead of a chip was a clear retcon of the character. But the character was already a mess by the time that happened anyway. IMO upgrading Marsters to a regular was the big mistake. Spike was a character who worked best in a recurring role.

Oh, I agree with this, but my point was that Joss tried to tell viewers that what we saw was not what we saw through social media rather than, y'know, write something that said what he actually meant to say.

• Love 2

I don't like TWD. When it was first announced, I was really excited about it. I love zombie movies. Then I watched the first episode...ugh. We are introduced to 2 of our main characters through a conversation they have in their squad car. One asshole goes on about how cruel women/his wife is, and asshole number 2 talks about them like they are just body parts. So of course asshole number 2 is having an affair with the cruel wife of asshole number 1. I could look past all this if this was a movie because I could root for them to get killed, but this is a tv show. These guys survived the first episode and that was enough for me.  I am not going to waste my precious time a couple of dick heads that I'd rather see eaten right after the opening credits. 

In defense of Rick, it is very hard to find anything nice to say about Lori.

I won't defend Shane at all because he was always unhinged and a lecherous, obsessive creep.

And in your defense, TWD definitely has sexist tendencies so I can't blame you for being turned off by it.

• Love 3

Maybe I'm just a jaded, disillusioned Negative Nancy, but I am sick to my teeth of characters with "visions". Joss Whedon couldn't get enough of them, they pop up on every other sci-fi/fantasy show, and now every episode of Constantine has to highlight Zed's magical specialness with her damn "visions". I can't be the only person who feels this way, surely others are tired of this overrated, overused, lazy power that ultimately is inconsistent (the characters are either way too powerful or never powerful enough) and never as helpful as it could be. 

And it's always women who have this lameass gift! I want to see more super-powered women on TV, but I want to see badass powers, not this feeble psychic ability that's just an excuse to make them faint into the hero's arms (ugh), or fall into a pretty trance (double ugh).

• Love 1

Well, to be fair, Doyle had them on Angel before Cordelia did. Whether or not it was always intended for him to be killed off so soon in the show's run is something only Whedon knows.

But overwhelmingly yes, it's typically a female thing.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1
Well, to be fair, Doyle had them on Angel before Cordelia did. Whether or not it was always intended for him to be killed off so soon in the show's run is something only Whedon knows.

Depends on who you believe. Joss did state in some interviews that he had planned on killing the character off fairly early because he didn't think he meshed well with the entire story, even though it turned out that the audience really liked him. However, one of the producers later alluded that Joss didn't want to kill off the character but it turned out it had to be done because of behind the scenes issues. And there were a lot of rumors about the actor's real life struggles with drugs and he OD'ed a year or two later after leaving the show. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I still love the Simpsons and South Park. That doesn't mean I love every episode (another UO here is that I despised the Simpsons/Futurama crossover!), but both shows still have enough great or even brilliant moments that keep me watching. And to make this even more unpopular, I not only think the later seasons of these shows are better than they're made out to be, but I think the excellence of the shows' "golden years" is somewhat overstated. Even as a fan, I think both shows' best seasons had some definite clunkers while these later seasons have some really underrated gems. (It's pretty unpopular for me to love South park in the first place, as I normally really hate scatological humor and do find some episodes unwatchable, but when the show is 'on', it just entertains and connects with me like few other shows!)

So based on the above most people assume I also love Family Guy, but for some reason I loathe it. I can't even begin to justify why---I just despise pretty much everything about it. 

Even more unpopularly: I could never get into Futurama at all. I kept expecting to love it, but it really doesn't work for me. 

• Love 2

So, the Osbournes is apparently coming back. I'm a fan of the music of Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne, so I was initially really excited to see the homelife of one of my favourite musicians. Then it aired. Oh god, terrible. I hated Sharon and both kids, while Ozzy was just a pitiful figure and a walking advertisment about the effects of drug abuse. After making it through the first season, I never wanted to see it again. Remember the shirts? 'Fuck my family, I'm moving in with the Osbournes'. No. Not at all.

I won't watch it this time around, and hope it's cancelled ASAP. But if someone ends up recapping it, can they please familiarise themselves with Ozzy's music? Whoever did the TWOP recaps, I don't think they recognised a single song when it was on the show.

I hate 99% of anything Hanna-Barbera has made, especially Scooby Doo. And have I got a UO that will piss everyone off: as annoying and hated as he was, Scrappy Doo was a better character than Scooby. Why? Because Scrappy at least had a personality and agency!

• Love 5

Oh god, terrible. I hated Sharon and both kids, while Ozzy was just a pitiful figure and a walking advertisment about the effects of drug abuse.

My husband and I watched one episode and couldn't watch more because it appeared to be too much like them taking advantage of a man with obvious drug related mental and physical problems.  I forget exactly what was going on except that Kelly had done something wrong and Sharon found out and was helping her hide it from Ozzy.  It was sad and painful to watch.

• Love 3

I hate 99% of anything Hanna-Barbera has made, especially Scooby Doo. And have I got a UO that will piss everyone off: as annoying and hated as he was, Scrappy Doo was a better character than Scooby. Why? Because Scrappy at least had a personality and agency!

I can't completely cosign this because I hate Scrappy Doo as well, but I will totally agree with Hanna-Barbera sucking! I have never been able to tolerate any of those cartoons. 

However, one of the producers later alluded that Joss didn't want to kill off the character but it turned out it had to be done because of behind the scenes issues. And there were a lot of rumors about the actor's real life struggles with drugs and he OD'ed a year or two later after leaving the show. 

Yes, Glenn Quinn was fired due to addiction issues and was replaced by Alexis Denisof's Wesley. The housemate I had at the time immediately gave up on the show when Doyle died and never watched it again for the remainder of its run. He died of a heroin overdose in 2002. He was only 32.

• Love 1

So, the Osbournes is apparently coming back. I'm a fan of the music of Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne, so I was initially really excited to see the homelife of one of my favourite musicians. Then it aired. Oh god, terrible. I hated Sharon and both kids, while Ozzy was just a pitiful figure and a walking advertisment about the effects of drug abuse. After making it through the first season, I never wanted to see it again. Remember the shirts? 'Fuck my family, I'm moving in with the Osbournes'. No. Not at all.

I won't watch it this time around, and hope it's cancelled ASAP. But if someone ends up recapping it, can they please familiarise themselves with Ozzy's music? Whoever did the TWOP recaps, I don't think they recognised a single song when it was on the show.

OMG, I never watched an episode of this tripe, but Entertainment Tonight would dedicate at least ten minutes (of a thirty minute show) on them. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. The show aired once a week, right? Even the Kardashians don't get that kind of focus.

The older daughter that never appeared on the show was wise.

Totally agree, I never really loved their 'classics' (Scooby-Doo, Flintstones, Jetsons) and their '70s output was pure crap.

I would watch Hong Kong Phooey and Scooby Doo back in the day, but I hated the Flintstones so much that I would pout and go home if I were visiting a friend who insisted on watching it. 

Am I making things up or was there a Schmoo or Smoo cartoon with a baby-talking blob? I should have hated this overly cutesy one, but I thought it was, well, cute. Far cuter than any of the other "adorable" characters I wanted to strangle: Smurfs, Scrappy Doo, and Godzoooooooooki. 

I was watching daytime TV the other day and realized Dr. Phil was still on the teevee. Why? This blowhard needed to pack up and move along ten years ago. I couldn't stand him when he first became popular (just because someone calls you an arsehole doesn't mean they're in denial, arsehole) and I thought he'd gone away when Oprah pulled Dr. Oz out of her arse. Dang it to h*ll. Thanks, Oprah. 

I can handle blowhards if they have a shred of genuine caring buried under all the bluster. Jon Taffer and Anthony Melchoirri (sp?) are totally trumped up personas, but I can at least see glimmers of genuine caring about their professions. Dr. Phil didn't give a crap about being a psychologist - he just cared about making himself look good at other people's expense (their problem for appearing on his show in the first place, but still...)

• Love 1
Am I making things up or was there a Schmoo or Smoo cartoon with a baby-talking blob? I should have hated this overly cutesy one, but I thought it was, well, cute. Far cuter than any of the other "adorable" characters I wanted to strangle: Smurfs, Scrappy Doo, and Godzoooooooooki. 

Nope, not making things up.  It was called "The New Shmoo" and it was a blatant Scooby-Doo ripoff.  But it was cute.

I recently found out that Shmoos go back to the 1940's, and apparently love to be a food source so much that they will die ecstatically when eyed with hunger.  A real "WTF?" for me.

http://lil-abner.com/the-shmoo/b

Edited by Aquarius

I still love the Simpsons and South Park. That doesn't mean I love every episode (another UO here is that I despised the Simpsons/Futurama crossover!), but both shows still have enough great or even brilliant moments that keep me watching. And to make this even more unpopular, I not only think the later seasons of these shows are better than they're made out to be, but I think the excellence of the shows' "golden years" is somewhat overstated. Even as a fan, I think both shows' best seasons had some definite clunkers while these later seasons have some really underrated gems. (It's pretty unpopular for me to love South park in the first place, as I normally really hate scatological humor and do find some episodes unwatchable, but when the show is 'on', it just entertains and connects with me like few other shows!)

So based on the above most people assume I also love Family Guy, but for some reason I loathe it. I can't even begin to justify why---I just despise pretty much everything about it. 

Even more unpopularly: I could never get into Futurama at all. I kept expecting to love it, but it really doesn't work for me. 

Oh, I am right there with you.  And because you're a South Park fan (as am I), you will appreciate that every time someone asks me "how can you not like Family Guy?", I always think of Cartman's response:

"When I make jokes, they are inherent to a story! Deep, situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a POINT! Not just one interchangeable joke after another!"

• Love 6

My opinions: 

• Add me to the Serenity> Firefly group. I liked the show once I finally got around to seeing it in its entirety, but it definitely dragged in places. The movie was wonderfully paced and packed a lot more of an emotional  punch I thought.  Also, major bonus, it had both David Krumholtz and Chiwetel Ejiofor (though on recent re-watch, I don't know if I  understand the latter's character). 
  • I didn't totally hate how they dealt with rape in Veronica Mars, but there were things they did that I hated certainly.

I mean "A Trip to the Dentist" was brilliant in its shades of grey. But I was disturbed by the fact that Veronica and Duncan immediately went into a "normal" relationship after all that happened, which of course, was never brought up again. Plus, I hated the the retcon that  Veronica  who wasn't only rapped once but twice that night.  And while I did like Ryan Hansen, I can agree that I was uncomfortable they made him  the comic relief after his behavior in ATtD. I know Rob Thomas wanted to keep RH around, and I can understand that, but pretending that Dick never encouraged his brother to rape Veronica? Gross. Acting like Madison was absolutely the worst when Dick was the one to roofie her without her knowledge? Gross.  I almost wished that Dick would have been the one revealed as the  secretly maniacal Casablanca brother/ rapist. Because don't even get me started on how much I hated that reveal. I could live with it being Beaver who crashed the bus, since the abuse story line made sense (though it also makes all the over-complicated red herrings all the more annoying). But all that mustache twirling on the roof, not to mention that Beaver was responsible for every crime ever? No. Still upsets me to be honest.  

• I watched the first couple of seasons of Supernatural, and while the actors definitely seemed to improve as the show went on (especially JP), the writing of all their emotional scenes was so one-note and horrible, I left and never looked back. 
  • I didn't love the last seasons of Buffy, but S4 is easily my least favorite. 
  • Also AHS UO, I  resent the reveal

that all AHS seasons are connected. They just pulled that out of their ass it seems, and I don't think I trust the show enough to believe it will work out in ways that won't give me a headache.

Edited by Beezel

Oh, I am right there with you. And because you're a South Park fan (as am I), you will appreciate that every time someone asks me "how can you not like Family Guy?", I always think of Cartman's response:

"When I make jokes, they are inherent to a story! Deep, situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a POINT! Not just one interchangeable joke after another!"

Exactly.

FWIW, I have noticed that FG has done far fewer of their cutaway gags in recent episodes, and the Simpsons crossover only had one--and it worked perfectly because there was actually context, and not manatees pulling playpen balls with jokes pre written on them (hehehe).