Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I'd suggest that even in S1, TPTBs intended the show to be about Crane Family Drama. This is a good case, however, of knowing the show you have. CFD was the show they wanted, but clearly wasn't the show they had. If there were less episodes, I think they could have shifted the focus better and gotten back to the core of the show. With the extra episodes, it's like, well, let's try this over the next 5 episodes and see where it goes. 

Well, it looks like they're trying to reset it, so if there's an S3, I think it will be good. 

I hope this is true (about the reset) and they go back to the original premise.  I loved S1 but gave up half way through S2, never coming back to it after the winter break.  I'd had enough of Katrina and Henry taking over the show.  I don't mind an expanded cast (Jenny is awesome) but not when they push Abby to the background.  Breaks my heart that I hope John Noble leaves the cast.  He has been a favorite of mine for a long time, but I feel his continuing storyline and scene chewing have damaged SH.

• Love 1
My unpopular SH opinion is that I didn't mind Hawley and didn't think he took away from the main focus too much. 

I'll join you there.  i never got the outrage over Hawley.  Katrina yes, she was driving storyline  -- into the ground.  But Hawley was just a hapless bystander in the mess.  I actually liked him quite a bit.  He had great chemistry with all the characters.  And..hate me.. but I liked him with Abbie.  If they hadn't tried to make some weird love triangle with him, Jenny & Abbie.. I would have very much been on board with him as a possible love interest for Abbie.  But they messed that up too.

Too bad.  Not a UO, but if the showrunners hadn't been so blindly focused on making Katrina the center of everything, I think the show could have been great in S2.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Just okay.

I'll go one worse... Ferris Bueller's Day Off?  Fucking awful.  Hated that movie.  Hated Mathew Broderick.

• Love 4

I love Matlock too. Okay, maybe not the last few seasons. I favor the Matlock/Julie/Michelle/Conrad years, with Michelle being my favorite character overall.

Edited by Gumdrops
  • Love 1

I honestly think Matlock was one of the best crime dramas/mysteries EVER and that it's aged surprisingly well despite the hilarious '80s hair sported by some of the female characters. I may be the only person under the age of 90 who truly adores that show :) 

This is slightly different, but my UO is that the Matlock theme is one of the best of all time. It has even inspired HIP HOP REMIXES.

• Love 3

Remakes/Reboots in general are just kinda pissing me off lately. Is the entertainment industry that creatively sapped that that's all they can come up, with along with sequels/prequels?

This doesn't really bother me, because Hollywood has pretty much always been about recycling and borrowing ideas from other places. It hasn't ever been some bastion of creative and original ideas. I mean look at the AFI or the IMDB top 10 movies. The vast majority of them are stories adapted from other mediums. Even back in the old days of movies people were doing reboots. Wizard of Oz was made 3 times before the 1939 version and Ben Hur was made twice before the Heston version.

Duck Tales? Great show back in the day, but why a reboot? If kids today (God, I'm getting old) want to watch it, what's stopping them from getting the DVDs from Netflix? Or checking out the numerous TV sites that undoubtedly stream episodes? It's not broken, don't fix it. No one asked for it, so why bother?

As far as rebooting ducktales goes, it doesn't really bother me, because the 80's cartoon wasn't an original idea. It was adapted from the Disney Uncle Scrooge comics created by Carl Barks.  

• Love 5

* I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I really lament the loss of the theme song. I know it's not a completely dead thing, but it seems to be nothing more than an afterthought nowadays, for the most part. I love when a show has such a catchy or great theme that when someone mentions the show, you automatically start hearing the theme playing in your head.

I miss them, too. As an anime fan, I can't tell you how many times I've watched a show after hearing it's theme song on YouTube first.

In America, ABC was one of the first to gut their theme songs in an attempt to keep the audience's attention, but now none of them, except for cable TV, use them because it cuts into advertising time. It's unfortunate.

(edited)

That's the problem. Back when Knight Rider and Greatest American Hero was on, the running time for a show was longer, so it could fit in a theme. Though as a counter argument, Galactica had a really cool opening. 

I'd also point out Game of Thrones, and Black Sails who is the same guy who did Galactica. And Outlander. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

I LOVE opening themes. From the glorious title sequences of 90's soaps like Model's Inc and Central Park West to the captivating openings of Game of Thrones and Carnivàle. The original Alias opening was so cool in it's simpleness I always thought. Heck, I even love the old cheesy ones in the vain of Dr. Quinn. And Whedon shows always had great openings, but I don't know if SHIELD has one?

Some of the mini openings from days of now fits well too though. I love The Good Wife's even if it only lasts for about five seconds.

My curren favorite is probably The Americans. That music is awesome.

• Love 8

I agree about opening themes, but I also like to point out my primary interest in anime nowadays is actually their original soundtracks. Gundam Wing, .hack//SIGN, and Outlaw Star still have some of the most impressive soundtracks I've ever heard. They are edgy, moody, and beautiful. I literally cannot remember a single OST from an American television show, but if I remember "Where The Sky Is High" from .hack... I remember little details about a show I haven't seen in almost a decade.

There seems to be a delicate balance between plodding along with a story (or stories) over several episodes, maintaining intrigue by pacing, and throwing a bunch of stuff at the audience in some semblance of a plot, hoping it will stick.

In that regard, I don't believe that seasons with fewer episodes are automatically more likely to be well-written than seasons with more.  Perhaps more exciting, but well-written and exciting can be mutually exclusive. Especially in a show's first season, but then I think the mark of a good show is how long it can maintain an intriguing show.  

That said, I can imagine that's tough in the current landscape, as there's so much content to choose from that viewers can move on quickly if they're turned off or bored. What might be unpopular is that I'm totally okay with that - I've never believed viewers owe anyone their allegiance.  TV is a business, and just like with any business, consumers are entitled to go elsewhere. 

• Love 4

And I can't even get through an episode of Criminal Intent because Vincent D'nofrio's line readings and facial expressions just irk me beyond the telling of it.

This.  I cant stand the man.  I never minded his performances in other projects but he reminds me of David Caruso in CSI: Miami.  

My unpopular opinion, I can not stand David Letterman.  I don't think he's funny, never have.  Yes, I preferred Jay Leno when he was still on.

• Love 3

My unpopular opinion, I can not stand David Letterman.  I don't think he's funny, never have.  Yes, I preferred Jay Leno when he was still on.

I think Letterman is OK, and I do enjoy some of his stuff, but I absolutely preferred Leno.

• Love 1
(edited)

My UO about OUAT: I am sooo tired of people whining about the CGI.  Get over it, or don't watch the show.  This is a weekly show, with an already heavy budget.  This isn't state of the art visuals.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 6
(edited)

I am glad Ryan Phillipe & Juliette Lewis are on the same show. Both irritate me for reasons unknown and the premise is one I wouldn't enjoy. I can not watch without any regret.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2
(edited)

I like Jude on The Fosters well enough, and I think his blossoming relationship with Connor is adorable, but I don't think he's the best thing about the show, or the perfect magic sparkly unicorn that the rest of fandom thinks he is. When Jude doesn't appear in an episode, my first instinct isn't to say that the episode needed more Jude. A lot of the time I don't even notice his absence.

Precocious, wise-beyond-their-years children are never my favorite. (Actually, I'm not sure Jude really falls into that archetype, but he does remind me of that sort of character.) I credit Hayden Byerly for making me like Jude a lot more than I might have if another actor were playing him. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

My unpopular opinion, I can not stand David Letterman. I don't think he's funny, never have. Yes, I preferred Jay Leno when he was still on.

I found Letterman funny till the late 2000's when I noticed he used the same gag about Angelina Jolie adopting kids three nights in a row. Then, he really started recycling most of his same, tired gags.

I'm glad that Colbert will be stepping in next season.

• Love 1
(edited)

I found Letterman funny till the late 2000's when I noticed he used the same gag about Angelina Jolie adopting kids three nights in a row. Then, he really started recycling most of his same, tired gags.

I'm glad that Colbert will be stepping in next season.

I've always loathed Leno; but I think Letterman was very funny when he was railing against the network.  So going from NBC to his own show on CBS kind of killed his funniest bits.  The resurgence of his disgust with NBC/Leno during the Conan thing was a nice bit of nostalgia.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 4

Dave lost me when his show became mostly him mugging, which was late 90s. When more than half the hour was Dave making stupid faces and pulling on his collar making silly noises, I was out.

• Love 5

I do not care about zombies. I do not care about the zombie apocalypse. I do not have a fucking zombie apocalypse plan.

I don't need a zombie apocalypse plan. Where I live this February was the coldest one on record for the last 115 years. The average daily low was around -21C (-6 degrees F). Pretty sure zombies wouldn't be much of a threat when they would be frozen blocks of ice. In fact anytime I see a zombie show or movie, I can't help but wonder how life in places where it does get below freezing for most of the year are making out.

• Love 5

A UO:  I don't like Cookie from "Empire."  I think she's a bad stereotype of black womanhood that really doesn't need to be seen on TV or anywhere anymore.  That stereotype can disappear along with platform shoes and bell bottom pants.

• Love 4

I don't care that Shatner had to miss Nimoy's funeral.

I don't either. Didn't he go to a charity function instead? Actors who work together don't necessarily have to love each other or be lifelong friends.

• Love 3

I don't care that Shatner missed the funeral but I do care that he whined all over the media about it.  If he hadn't said anything no one would have noticed.

Can I just say that, even as close friends as Mr. Nimoy was supposed to have been with Shatner, it wouldn't surprise me if Mr. Nimoy hadn't reached the conclusion that [like Theodore Roosevelt re being the 'baby at every Christening, the bride at every wedding and the corpse at every funeral' he attended], Shatner would have likely done his derndest to make his attending the funeral all about him. Thus, between the Nimoy family being able to mourn for him at his funeral on their own without having to accomodate Shatner [and not having it crashed by those Westboro snots],all-in-all, I believe Mr. Nimoy got the funeral he truly deserved and likely would have wanted.

• Love 2
(edited)
I am over Cookie.

Me too.  Join the club.  Your club membership dues are $2 a year. : )

Seriously though, I predict that there will be more people coming to that conclusion.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

I don't care that Shatner missed the funeral but I do care that he whined all over the media about it.  If he hadn't said anything no one would have noticed.

He was doing a public event the night before.  TMZ stakes out the airport (they got him coming back).  The media would have noticed and the shit storm would have been worse. 

He had no good options.  Travel experience tells me that not being able to find a late night flight is a legitimate possibility.

• Love 3

I hate James Spader.  I hate him with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns. NBC seems to think I like him, because they show eleventy-seven commercials per hour for Blacklist, but they're wrong.  I hate him.

Young, thin, hot James Spader is divine. Not so much now.

• Love 3

Some random UOs 

OUaT
I can’t stand Regina, Hook, or any pairing involving them except perhaps, with each other because THAT could be interesting on a better show.
I don’t hate Neal.
Rumbelle is meh at best for me.
Robert Carlyle is very talented but I do not find him attractive and dislike the occasional insinuations that one is missing out if they don’t.
I don’t find Snowing dull and actually found a stable couple with minimal drama to be utterly refreshing.
I like(d) Emma and actually prefer the good guys. I’m generally a Team Hero person and find Team Bad Guy boring.
I give none about the quality of the CGI. The writing on the other hand, is another story.
While both Robert Carlyle and Lana Parrilla are very good at what they do I think it’s a shame other cast members’ abilities are often overlooked.
I prefer the so called redeemed villains as villains.

Glee
Klaine wore seriously thin after Blaine transferred to McKinley.
I like Will and Will/Emma.

Buffy
I don’t mind S6 and 7.
I generally like Xander.
I don’t hate Dawn.

Angel
I prefer Fred/Gunn to Fred/Wesley.
Angel/Cory seriously weirds me out for inexplicable reasons.

Grey’s Anatomy
I actually prefer Private Practice to its mother show.
MerDer does zero for me.
McDreamy is not dreamy though he has great hair and his one redeeming quality is that he’s played by Patrick Dempsey who has some sort of aura of charm about him.
I also don’t care for Cristina.

This is kind of a general tv as a whole thing but I don’t need constant action and contrived drama. Sometimes it’s nice to just see characters talk about whatever is going on with them. Or just see them do the daily mundane things. The constant drama and action gets tiresome.
I also hate when writers and show runners give interviews. So often they fall back on interviews to tell the audience what they should be seeing instead of actually showing on these things screen.

• Love 1

He works for a travel company AND has the resources to charter a plane the no flight is a non starter IMO.  It wasn't just TMZ he was everywhere whinging about not going.  Most jobs would have allowed him time given the circumstances.

It wasn't a "job", it was an appearance for charity.

Would they have let him out? Yeah, probably. But they probably also sold a lot of tickets and raised money for this charity because he was there. Whether or not he could skip it isn't the point.

He's also 83 years old, the same age as Leonard Nimoy. Maybe he can't physically handle the jetlag like he once could. I actually never heard of him speaking much about it until after I saw people online going after him.

• Love 10

While both Robert Carlyle and Lana Parrilla are very good at what they do I think it’s a shame other cast members’ abilities are often overlooked.

I agree. They have a talent cast it would be nice to see other actors shine. Its also sad how many good actors they lost because they focused on a few. As well as interesting characters. Ruby, Sidney, Frankenstein, etc.

• Love 1

And you think they wouldn't have understood if her needed to leave early?

One thing I haven't heard anyrthing about in this story was were Shatner and Nimoy still even close? They worked on a show back in the 60's and the last star trek movie was what, the 90's. Maybe he didn't feel the need to be there if they weren't friends.
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think this is a huge UO, but I do not understand the appeal of Orange is the new black.

It's boring. Characters are mostly two-dimensional. Drama is not enough dramatic, comedy part is not particularly funny... I don't like it.

*waits for stones to be thrown her way*

Edited by decembar13
  • Love 1

I think this is a huge UO, but I do not understand the appeal of Orange is the new black.

It's boring. Characters are mostly two-dimensional. Drama is not enough dramatic, comedy part is not particularly funny... I don't like it.

*waits for stones to be thrown her way*

I'm not a big fan either. I watch it because my wife watches it, but that's about it. I find it kind of formulaic, there are only two or three characters I don't actively hate, and I don't understand this whole "Piper and Alex is so hot" bullshit. I'm a lesbian, and that shit doesn't appeal to me at all. In fact, it kind of repulses me.

• Love 2

The Piper/Alex storyline on OITNB bores the shit out of me. I'm all for more gay/pan/bi characters and stories on tv but just because it's gay doesn't mean I have to automatically like it. The second season was way better, if you haven't seen it. The main storyline is pretty good and you learn a lot more about the characters. There's an independent plot about the guards too. It's much more fleshed out. 

• Love 3