Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

GoT is one of my top 3 shows but I found during season 7 that limiting my time on any forum or thread related to it (including here) increases my enjoyment of the show. The interviews with the actors or the promos don't bother me as much as the fan(atic)s. I am finding that true with every movie and TV show I watch.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, Chas411 said:

also the writers aren’t out to get Bughead. They give them drama to keep fans watching. This idea that Bughead popularity came out of nowhere and the writer can’t believe that ship took over a potential Barchie ship etc etc is silly. All showrunners want is a popular ship as it draws in fans. There’s rarely a conspiracy theory.

I don't know about that. IMO the HIMYM writers, for example, seemed to be pissed that Barney/Robin became more popular than Ted/Robin, their preferred ship.

But anyway, yea, Betty/Jughead sucks. I stopped watching Riverdale after the awful season 2 and part of the reason why was them (and Cole Sprouse in general lol).

• Love 2

I loved Barney and Robin on How I Met Your Mother. They were two imperfect people who were perfect for each other. I think writers need to stop using dead women as a plot point. On Blue Bloods and NCIS you have three characters with dead mothers as part of their back story. I've lost count of female characters who have been killed off when their actresses wanted to leave the show.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Enigma X said:

GoT is one of my top 3 shows but I found during season 7 that limiting my time on any forum or thread related to it (including here) increases my enjoyment of the show.

I went to the forums here a while back because I wanted to talk about GOT and there were like 4 different ones and I had no idea what was for what. I was like NOPE. 

In a larger context, I've found a while ago that my enjoyment of any show is considerably higher staying unspoiled. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I went to the forums here a while back because I wanted to talk about GOT and there were like 4 different ones and I had no idea what was for what. I was like NOPE. 

In a larger context, I've found a while ago that my enjoyment of any show is considerably higher staying unspoiled. 

Spoilage is not my issue. I like and seek spoilers.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Spoilage is not my issue. I like and seek spoilers.

Depends on the show for me. I avoid even seeing commercials for The Good Place because I don't want the slightest hint of what is going to happen next, but I can't watch Bachelor without spoilers because I need to know if I'll be able to make it through the season. GoT I used to not want spoilers but now I need them because there are only about three storylines I care about at all and need to know what I'll have to suffer through to get to them. 

I find that as I get older I have less and less tolerance for disappointment. Knowing where a story is going can save me a lot of time. There are shows I have not watched based on knowing they are going to have an ending that is going to piss me off. 

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I find that as I get older I have less and less tolerance for disappointment. Knowing where a story is going can save me a lot of time.

This is how I am, as well. I used to be a completionist and would stick with a show to the bitter end, even if it felt like hate-watching. Now I just drop any show I've fallen out of love with. There are so many shows on, and so many past shows I haven't seen, what's the point in continuing to watch a disappointing one?

• Love 14
18 hours ago, Enigma X said:

GoT is one of my top 3 shows but I found during season 7 that limiting my time on any forum or thread related to it (including here) increases my enjoyment of the show.

Same here. I feel like no matter the topic, the discussion ends up devolving into pro-Sansa/anti-Sansa arguments. It gets tiresome.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, slf said:

This is how I am, as well. I used to be a completionist and would stick with a show to the bitter end, even if it felt like hate-watching

This was me. See: Smallville. You can probably still hear my screams echoing around in space if you listen hard enough. Now, I'll drop a show in a hot minute and I've done it when a show had only a few episodes to go. I'm generally spoiler averse but sometimes I will seek them out if I feel that a show is going to start disappointing me or I'm already on the edge. I did that for Walking Dead and Arrow. Bye Bye! Also spoiled myself on the last season of The Originals and I see no need to watch it. Goodbye cruel worlds!

• Love 4
On 4/13/2019 at 9:52 AM, Blergh said:

Well, I've lived to see  Star Trek's hype die down to just its own fanbase which no longer overwhelms others- at least in my small corner!  IOW, this would be a good spur for longevity! 

I'd watched bits here and there of previous Star Trek episodes before I got into Star Trek: Discovery.  I read through the forum once, and knew I would not EVER engage in discussion.  Because I'm not a Trekkie, I enjoy the show (and the lead) for what it is.

As a side note, I'm grateful that this season has shifted Tilly to the background, as I found her supremely annoying and would skip past her scenes whenever possible.     

18 hours ago, Enigma X said:

GoT is one of my top 3 shows but I found during season 7 that limiting my time on any forum or thread related to it (including here) increases my enjoyment of the show. The interviews with the actors or the promos don't bother me as much as the fan(atic)s. I am finding that true with every movie and TV show I watch.

I don't watch GoT, but agree with the bolded.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
Typos
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kassandra8286 said:

Same here. I feel like no matter the topic, the discussion ends up devolving into pro-Sansa/anti-Sansa arguments. It gets tiresome.

On pro/anti any other character on the show. Lol.

1 hour ago, festivus said:

This was me. See: Smallville. You can probably still hear my screams echoing around in space if you listen hard enough. Now, I'll drop a show in a hot minute and I've done it when a show had only a few episodes to go. I'm generally spoiler averse but sometimes I will seek them out if I feel that a show is going to start disappointing me or I'm already on the edge. I did that for Walking Dead and Arrow. Bye Bye! Also spoiled myself on the last season of The Originals and I see no need to watch it. Goodbye cruel worlds!

I dropped The Walking Dead and Arrow too.

3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I find that as I get older I have less and less tolerance for disappointment. Knowing where a story is going can save me a lot of time. There are shows I have not watched based on knowing they are going to have an ending that is going to piss me off. 

Agreed. If I know a storyline is going to go arseways I can just walk away from it rather then watching it and getting really pissed off.

• Love 2
On 4/13/2019 at 5:03 PM, Enigma X said:

... limiting my time on any forum or thread related to it (including here) increases my enjoyment of the show.

I guess it's unpopular in the sense that so many people point to online discussion as something they look forward to (and that binging has somewhat spoiled), but a lot of said discussion is irrelevant or even irksome to me for one reason or another.

I like hearing different opinions and do not begrudge, at all, that sci fi fans enjoy getting into the weeds with canon, or that others live to ship, or to snark about reality show contestants, or to hate watch. It's just that those things aren't of interest to me and can overtake some forums. Unfollow!

Reddit is a bit more forgiving since comments are threaded and I can easily collapse parent remarks that I'm not interested in, which also hides the children.

• Love 1

Words cannot express how little of a shit I give about Game of Thrones.

My mom and sister love it, but after the first episode, I was out. It was simply NOT for me.

I don't begrudge anyone for liking it--we all have our favorite/least favorite shows, and I would never want to make someone feel bad for liking/hating any show--but I just have no interest in it. None. 

• Love 15
4 hours ago, 2727 said:

I guess it's unpopular in the sense that so many people point to online discussion as something they look forward to (and that binging has somewhat spoiled), but a lot of said discussion is irrelevant or even irksome to me for one reason or another.

I like hearing different opinions and do not begrudge, at all, that sci fi fans enjoy getting into the weeds with canon, or that others live to ship, or to snark about reality show contestants, or to hate watch. It's just that those things aren't of interest to me and can overtake some forums. Unfollow!

Reddit is a bit more forgiving since comments are threaded and I can easily collapse parent remarks that I'm not interested in, which also hides the children.

I tend only to dabble in show specific threads for that reason.   The conversation can get monopolized with either things I'm not into or things that have been rehashed over and over again.  Not that we don't get into specifics over here but because the conversation is more of a macro discussion about TV in general, the topics shift rather quickly.    

And I agree with the discussion upthread that neither liking a prestige show nor not watching a popular show is grounds for patting oneself on the back.  Just do you and let others do others.  It just makes me laugh because GoT is both at this point so you have both factions congratulating themselves for opposite reasons.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 7
On 4/13/2019 at 8:45 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Good luck. I doubt that will happen. 

Exhibits A & B: Lost and Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

I actually never hear anything about Lost or Buffy anymore. The point about how the discussion evolves to be insular among the fans is apt. I don’t seek it out and I hear nothing about it. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, UYI said:

Words cannot express how little of a shit I give about Game of Thrones.

My mom and sister love it, but after the first episode, I was out. It was simply NOT for me.

I don't begrudge anyone for liking it--we all have our favorite/least favorite shows, and I would never want to make someone feel bad for liking/hating any show--but I just have no interest in it. None. 

This times a hecka lot for me. No interest at all. My supervisor talks about it to me endlessly even though I have explained multiple times that I don’t watch. It seems like this weekend it’s been everywhere I turn. Local news, national stories, social media galore and even some YouTube foodies I follow. Sigh. 

• Love 4

I think this is probably an Unpopular Opinion regarding Game of Thrones. I love the show but I just enjoy watching it. I don't hate or *love any characters enough to talk on the forums about it, it's just one of those shows for me where forum discussion adds nothing to the experience. I also haven't seen anything much about the show but that's probably down to me only having few places on the internet I go.

*Except for Brienne. She must make it through to the end, she's the only one whose death would gut me.

• Love 5

I'm the same way. I enjoy GoT, and happily talk about it with the people I watch it with, but the online discussions move way too fast for me. I tried at first but I just can't do it. The thought of actually going through all the replies and *trying* to find something new to say already sounds like a chore. I'm also hard pressed to name a favorite character myself. There's definitely ones I like but I think enjoy the various interactions more than any one character, so the heated debates about which character is right or better or whatnot doesn't really interest me.

• Love 4

I love Game of Thrones when it's on but when it's not on I don't think much about it. I didn't realize it came back last night only I was flipping through channels and happened upon the end of the marathon which had my favorite scene of all time, when Sansa and Arya team up againt Littlefinger, that moment is beautiful. Actually, much of the show is beautiful. Their head of photography deserves tons of awards. Then I noticed a new ep was on after it and was all "Oh, right, it was supposed to come back around now." 

My unpopular opinion (at least as far as forums go) is that I don't have a rats ass to give about remembering backstories and spending hours upon hours debating if this one comment from five season ago was wrong because something happened that contradicted it. I grew up in the 80s. TV was disposable then. You watched it then you moved on. There wasn't nearly so much analysis and I think it was better that way. 

I do have a terrible memory, so that might be why I don't care as much about long term continuity. 

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, ramble said:

This times a hecka lot for me. No interest at all. My supervisor talks about it to me endlessly even though I have explained multiple times that I don’t watch. It seems like this weekend it’s been everywhere I turn. Local news, national stories, social media galore and even some YouTube foodies I follow. Sigh. 

And it drives me insane when people get all offended, accusing people like us of ragging on something because it's "popular." Now, I won't lie: I DO get very put off when it feels like certain things are inescapable--it's a big reason I have little to no interest in Star Wars, Harry Potter, and yes, GOT. But I would argue it goes both ways, too. Is it any cooler to mock people who like less popular things, in this case TV shows? (Or, to use another--forgive me, POPULAR--example, preferring other types of music to pop music?) The truth is, I like watching reruns of a lot of older  (MUCH older, in many cases) TV shows, including shows that were shot in black & white. Would it be cool or acceptable to make fun of me? Believe me, I would love to have more "normal" interests, but sometimes we end up liking things that aren't as popular. And this  whole thing about people getting defensive about others not watching GOT sometimes comes across as high school bullies being personally affronted when the kids they tease for having "weird" interests actually have the balls to fight them back.

In conclusion: Let's just like what we like, okay? Whether it's popular or not. And in my case, here in this thread of unpopular TV opinions, I would be much happier with reruns of Coach or The Andy Griffith Show, just to cite two examples, than with GOT, and I shouldn't have to apologize for feeling that way, just as GOT fans shouldn't have to apologize for loving THEIR show, too. 🙂 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Go, UYI!!!

I couldn't have said it better myself! One of the cool perks of getting strands of grey hairs is that fewer folks EXPECT me to like every single hyped  brand-new 'whatever' that comes down the pike. Yes, there are some newer TV shows, songs, movies,etc.  that DO like but I like them  strictly for their own merits and just because they've been hyped to death! 

Oh, to keep this ontopic here comes another  UO from  me.That new book about The View confirms that I've always thought via those few times I happened upon the show: NONE of the panelists past or present are folks I'd like to know and I'm downright thankful I've never met ANY of them! 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Winter Rose said:

I'm the same way. I enjoy GoT, and happily talk about it with the people I watch it with, but the online discussions move way too fast for me. I tried at first but I just can't do it. The thought of actually going through all the replies and *trying* to find something new to say already sounds like a chore. I'm also hard pressed to name a favorite character myself. There's definitely ones I like but I think enjoy the various interactions more than any one character, so the heated debates about which character is right or better or whatnot doesn't really interest me.

Yeah, I totally agree with the bolded part. I just like watching the story unfold and I have no interest in debating which character is right or wrong. They all have flaws even my beloved Brienne. 

My UO is I hope the Night King wins and takes over the whole wretched place, Brienne and Tormund escape on the two remaining dragons and go find a nice little warm island and live happily ever after. Perfect ending. 😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, UYI said:

The truth is, I like watching reruns of a lot of older  (MUCH older, in many cases) TV shows, including shows that were shot in black & white.

OMG I love old shows. I miss when Nick and Nite used to run old sitcoms, early stuff like Burns and Allen, I Married Joan, Topper! I used to love the show Remember WENN on AMC and never did get over them pulling the show and then pretending it never existed. I have a very old soul. When the kids in school were listening to Duran Duran and Madonna I was listening to Glenn Miller and the Andrews Sisters. Awe, now you've got me wanting to bust out my old shows. Maybe I'll rewatch the compete "Are You Being Served?" Love brit-coms.

That said, I still love some pop culture stuff. I watch The Bachelor, I watch GoT and Star Wars (but only the original trilogy and the ones running now. I pretend those middle movies don't exist and know nothing about the non-movie stuff). I love Guardian's of the Galaxy but couldn't give two shits about most of the rest of the Marvel Universe. I like what I like, not because it's popular or obscure, but because it entertains me. 

• Love 5

This isn't exactly TV, but I'm in my mid-40s and I like a lot of (but not all) Taylor Swift songs.  Which is apparently all kinds of wrong, but I don't care.

I could also happily watch TV Land all day (except I don't want to watch TV all day, that's just an expression). 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, Katy M said:

This isn't exactly TV, but I'm in my mid-40s and I like a lot of (but not all) Taylor Swift songs.  Which is apparently all kinds of wrong, but I don't care.

I hate myself for loving Blank Space (also mid-40s, edging closer to late 40s! OMG!!!!)

• Love 2

Don't you dare apologize for liking Taylor Swift. You guys can like whatever the hell you want, regardless of your age, and this goes for everyone else.

I'm 37 years old, and most of my favorite films are animated Disney, Studio Ghibli, and Pixar. I think a lot of books for older kids and young adults are better written than most books for proper adults (The Phantom Tollbooth, Jacob Have I Loved, and A Wrinkle in Time are among my favorites). I recently started binge-watching Inuyasha on Netflix. Bitching about Dr. Seuss adaptations from the 2000 Grinch and beyond is a beloved pastime of mine. There are plenty of singers I like or love who are well over a decade younger than I am (I recommend Maggie Rogers's debut). My favorite article of clothing is my denim jacket that has Belle, Jasmine, and Snow White on the back (I've had it for over a decade, and still get tons of compliments on it).

So old stuff, new stuff, young stuff, not-so-young stuff, you like what you like, and you do you. Don't let society dictate your enjoyment.

Hoo, boy, gettin' dizzy up here on the ol' soapbox, I better step down now. Back to our regularly scheduled topic.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

9 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Don't you dare apologize for liking Taylor Swift. You guys can like whatever the hell you want, regardless of your age, and this goes for everyone else...

...you like what you like, and you do you. Don't let society dictate your enjoyment.

Hoo, boy, gettin' dizzy up here on the ol' soapbox, I better step down now. Back to our regularly scheduled topic.

I feel that way about tween/teen TV. I don't watch many of today's youth shows, but in in the early aughts, I was one of the biggest Veronica Mars fans there was. I'd sometimes mention it to friends or co-workers, and whey were like, "Um... Aren't you in your '30s?"

And when I'm browsing the YA section in the library or a bookstore, I actually feel guilty. I feel like I'm shopping for porn. LOL

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, topanga said:

I feel that way about tween/teen TV. I don't watch many of today's youth shows, but in in the early aughts, I was one of the biggest Veronica Mars fans there was. I'd sometimes mention it to friends or co-workers, and whey were like, "Um... Aren't you in your '30s?"

And when I'm browsing the YA section in the library or a bookstore, I actually feel guilty. I feel like I'm shopping for porn. LOL

I liked Sabrina the Teenage Witch, which I'm pretty sure I was too old for when it was on.  But, I think I was still in my 20s, so maybe I was just young enough to get away with it. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, festivus said:

My UO is I hope the Night King wins and takes over the whole wretched place, Brienne and Tormund escape on the two remaining dragons and go find a nice little warm island and live happily ever after. Perfect ending. 😁 

Can Davos be the one that sails them there? Because my GOT uo is that Davos is the best and being a good person and a sturdy character is more than enough. If he makes it to the end, I'm going to be happy.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, vibeology said:

Can Davos be the one that sails them there? Because my GOT uo is that Davos is the best and being a good person and a sturdy character is more than enough. If he makes it to the end, I'm going to be happy.

I'd be quite content if Davos and Jorah stared in a spin off, two men who have lost everything wonder the wastelands and fight for survival. The pretty would be overwhelming. (my possibly OP: I apparently have a thing for 57 year old British dudes. lol Then again, maybe not that unpopular.)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, topanga said:

YA books at least have beginnings, middles, and ends. That's also why I stick to genre books (mystery, mostly). And I've learned that "lyrical prose" means I should put the book down and run away quickly. I'm sure which repulses me more: lyrical prose or stories told in present-tense.

I also loved Veronica Mars, and Buffy before her.

Edited by ABay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
55 minutes ago, vibeology said:

yes! I forgot to put that I hope he shows up later on his boat and is grandpa to all their huge children!

51 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I'd be quite content if Davos and Jorah stared in a spin off, two men who have lost everything wonder the wastelands and fight for survival. The pretty would be overwhelming. (my possibly OP: I apparently have a thing for 57 year old British dudes. lol Then again, maybe not that unpopular.)

Nah. I love Jorah and I had a huge crush on Stannis. When he left half the pretty for the men died. ☹️

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, festivus said:

Nah. I love Jorah and I had a huge crush on Stannis. When he left half the pretty for the men died. ☹️

Stannis was an evil SOB but oh so pretty...and that voice. I'd pretty much do terrible, terrible things for him if he just whispered them in my ear. 

Tywin Lannister was pretty stunning too. Say what you want about GoT but whoever cast that show has quite the eye for elder gents. Yummmm The yungen's aren't too bad either, but the older men on that show get my pulse racing. 

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I liked Sabrina the Teenage Witch, which I'm pretty sure I was too old for when it was on.  But, I think I was still in my 20s, so maybe I was just young enough to get away with it. 

I still like Sabrina. It's just a fun show to watch! It's never too serious. 

• Love 4
On 4/14/2019 at 11:00 AM, Mabinogia said:

I used to not want spoilers but now I need them because there are only about three storylines I care about at all and need to know what I'll have to suffer through to get to them. 

This is me these days.  Some shows I watch any way no matter what.  But some shows I see some signs of a direction they go and I'll not bother if the direction is just gonna annoy me.  re: GOT, I like the story but have only followed the show casually tuning in on episodes I think I'll like based on my twitter feed.  I am going to wait to watch this final season only if Cersei dies.  If she doesn't die then I won't waste my time.  Also I only buy HBO twice a year for a one month period each.  And I binge what I want then.  So I am pretty much always spoiled for GOT anyway.  And that works just fine for me.

21 hours ago, 2727 said:

I like hearing different opinions and do not begrudge, at all, that sci fi fans enjoy getting into the weeds with canon, or that others live to ship, or to snark about reality show contestants, or to hate watch. It's just that those things aren't of interest to me and can overtake some forums.

I agree with this.  I do enjoy some show specific forums, but each one has its own personality.  My favorites are those that really discuss the show in question all aspects of it -- the plots, the characters, the dialogue, the viewers likes and dislikes and there is a lively discussion about the whole show.  But I admit I watch some shows and can't bring myself to participate in those forums because it seems like either most viewers are flat out hate watching based on the tenor of the comments or the  want to pinpoint  on just one character or one ship and talk it almost to exclusion of anything else, so that even the plot points of the episode that just aired don't even get discussed.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, ellenr33 said:
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I still like Sabrina. It's just a fun show to watch! It's never too serious. 

I loved Sabrina. I was 24 when it started (just looked it up out of curiosity). Of course I most recently loved Liv and Maddie on Disney Channel, still watch Andy Mack and have seen 2 of the Descendants movies. I like kid/pre-teen shows. Oddly, didn't like them when I was one. Go figure. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I hate myself for loving Blank Space (also mid-40s, edging closer to late 40s! OMG!!!!)

1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Don't you dare apologize for liking Taylor Swift. You guys can like whatever the hell you want, regardless of your age, and this goes for everyone else.

@Wiendish Fitch, if I were to apologize about anything regarding Taylor Swift, it would be that we're the same age, but that I'm a lot less pretty compared to her. Oh well. 😞

@Katy M and @Mabinogia, if you didn't know already, there is a music forum here, too, including a thread dedicated to Taylor:

https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/57-music/

I'm sure I've posted this here before, but I do NOT have the same problem with topical sitcoms that a lot of people seem to. All in the Family, Maude, Murphy Brown (both versions)--I love them all. 

• Love 3
On 4/3/2019 at 4:23 AM, Broken Ox said:

I remain astonished (in a good way) that Chopped still repackages all the ingredients in the basket and pantry to say just "Chicken" or "Parsley" instead of turning it into one long product placement opportunity.

Rachel Raye used to do that, too, she used cans and bottles with real-looking labels which must have taken a lot of work to gen up.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Winter Rose said:

I'm also hard pressed to name a favorite character myself. There's definitely ones I like but I think enjoy the various interactions more than any one character, so the heated debates about which character is right or better or whatnot doesn't really interest me.

God, the character debates. Those can be so frustrating sometimes. I'm the sort who tends to like/be interested in ALL the main characters on my favorite shows, and can appreciate both their positive and negative aspects. I'd be more than happy to discuss certain characters and share thoughts about their storylines/backstories and things of that sort, but in some fandoms it's really hard to do that, because the only type of character discussion most people seem interested in having is going on and on about how much they can't stand this character, or that character's "arrogant" or a "bitch"*, or complaining and arguing over which characters are getting more or less screentime, or things of that sort. 

And I just...don't care to get involved in talking about that kind of thing. So I stay out of it. Saves me the stress, but it does make it harder for me to really engage in fandom discussions sometimes as a result. 

*(I always get a kick out of it when I see people pop into "unpopular opinion" threads on various fandom sites and make it seem like they're the first one to say, "I hate x character." Meanwhile, I'm over here looking at the numerous other instances of other fans saying similar things about that character and thinking, "...no, actually, your opinion's quite popular.")

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 9
13 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

(I always get a kick out of it when I see people pop into "unpopular opinion" threads on various fandom sites and make it seem like they're the first one to say, "I hate x character." Meanwhile, I'm over here looking at the numerous other instances of other fans saying similar things about that character and thinking, "...no, actually, your opinion's quite popular.")

I've always found it fascinating how one person will have their "unpopular opinion" and then suddenly it's the most popular opinion in the world. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Then, after a few days/pages/whathaveyou, suddenly it's the stupidest opinion in the world and all the sheep have moved onto new opinion. I'm as guilty of it as the rest of us. It's a fascinating quirk of humanity, part of our desire to fit in. Trouble is, eventually it will turn ugly because there are also people out there who have nothing better to do than try to piss people off. 

I have abandoned many a fandom because of the gang mentality I see on so many of them. 

16 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Saves me the stress, but it does make it harder for me to really engage in fandom discussions sometimes as a result. 

And that's where it gets frustrating, because there are also some very smart, funny, clever folks trying to have fun, thoughtful conversations going on. you just have to wade through a lot of shit to get to them, and you have to get there fast before it devolves into "my favorite character is better than your favorite character who is horrible and evil and stupid while mine is heroic and amazing and perfect".

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

and you have to get there fast before it devolves into "my favorite character is better than your favorite character who is horrible and evil and stupid while mine is heroic and amazing and perfect".

You must have watched Supernatural. TWOP was much better in reigning in this kind of stuff. People found it too harsh. I often found it not harsh enough.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 4/11/2019 at 10:30 AM, proserpina65 said:

Depends on the show.  It's not really strange to wonder how people right out of college can afford ginormous mcmansions on House Hunters, for example.

I saw one where these people were in their early twenties and supposedly owned a coffee shop.  Uh, I'm guessing your parents own a coffee shop and let you run it.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:54 PM, Mabinogia said:

I've always found it fascinating how one person will have their "unpopular opinion" and then suddenly it's the most popular opinion in the world. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Then, after a few days/pages/whathaveyou, suddenly it's the stupidest opinion in the world and all the sheep have moved onto new opinion. I'm as guilty of it as the rest of us. It's a fascinating quirk of humanity, part of our desire to fit in. Trouble is, eventually it will turn ugly because there are also people out there who have nothing better to do than try to piss people off. 

I have abandoned many a fandom because of the gang mentality I see on so many of them. 

And that's where it gets frustrating, because there are also some very smart, funny, clever folks trying to have fun, thoughtful conversations going on. you just have to wade through a lot of shit to get to them, and you have to get there fast before it devolves into "my favorite character is better than your favorite character who is horrible and evil and stupid while mine is heroic and amazing and perfect".

Amen you would think JJ Jareau was evil incarnate according to some Criminal fans. I think fans are too quick to use terms like narcissist and sociopath to describe characters they don't like.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

Amen you would think JJ Jareau was evil incarnate according to some Criminal fans. 

She's the very character I was thinking of when mentioning the character discussions in my post. Her and Morgan. 

I think fans are too quick to use terms like narcissist and sociopath to describe characters they don't like.

Agreed. Continuing on with your "Criminal Minds" mention, I'd hope fans of that show would be especially careful about tossing those terms around, since the show itself makes the actual definitions of those terms quite clear. 

• Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:17 AM, festivus said:

*Except for Brienne. She must make it through to the end, she's the only one whose death would gut me.

She and Tormund need to survive and make giant ginger babies.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

I am an African-American female and I am NOT offended by the Ancestry.com ad featuring an interracial couple.

I am fully aware of the US' ugly racial history, but I don't think the commercial is trying to romanticize or downplay it all. The very fact that the guy mentions them fleeing to Canada--as many such couples had to do--indicates that they're not dismissing it at all.

Edited by Camille
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11