Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I don't think Shallow is all that great of a song.   Not the melody, not the vocals and definitely not the lyrics.    It's about how they are in too deep but they song is called Shallow and they repeat that word over and over.    Except they aren't in the shallow end anymore.   Just ugh.   

Exactly.  I posted somewhere around here (maybe in the movie's thread?) that the song should have been called "Far From The Shallow".  Either way, it's annoying as hell.

Edited by Browncoat
annoying song, but if I'm going to rename it based on lyrics, I should probably get the right lyrics
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, Mabinogia said:

hopefully the epic fail of the Game of Thrones series finale

I wouldn't call record-shattering viewing numbers an epic fail.

But I agree that USA's dark turn made me stop watching most of what it ran.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5

1. Dawn is the best thing to ever happen to Buffy, both the character and the series. 

2. Tara King was the best Avengers girl (and that includes Purdy) and the final season of the original series was the best. 

3.  Captain Lochley on B5 was better than Ivanova.

4. Dollhouse was far superior to Firefly and deserved its' longer run. 

5. The later seasons of Wonder Woman were far superior to the first, the WW2 stuff was getting tiresome, Lynda looked fantastic and her costume was far sexier. 

6.  Alexandra Paul (Lt. Stephanie) was the best Baywatch girl.  

7. Kate Jackson was the sexiest Charlie's Angel.

8. Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica IS Face from the A-team, using the Cylon ship to escape the planet, making it to Earth in the late 60s/early 70s (after Apollo 11) taking on the identity of an orphan killed in the Vietnam War whom he conveniently resembled.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joe Hellandback said:

2. Tara King was the best Avengers girl (and that includes Purdy) and the final season of the original series was the best.

Woof, you're nuts, sorry.  Some of the Tara scripts are very good, and I never disliked the actress, but the character was poorly thought out after two strong female partners.  Emma Peel was SUCH a crowdpleasing character - and having Tara be a young hero-worshipper of Steed  was inevitably going to make whatever actress played the part suffer in comparison to the supremely self-possessed Mrs. Peel and Mrs. Gale.  I always felt bad for Linda Thorson and she  definitely doesn't deserve the hate she gets in Avengers fandom.   On top of everything else apparently the producers wanted her to be a blond, so as to look different from Diana Rigg - the bleaching   burned and damaged her hair so badly she had to wear wigs.  Why they chose the matronly styles of wig they did is another mystery - Diana Rigg was the Queen of Mod and poor Linda looked like a middle-aged square - good god she was only TWENTY ONE.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

5. The later seasons of Wonder Woman were far superior to the first, the WW2 stuff was getting tiresome, Lynda looked fantastic and her costume was far sexier. 

I thought that robot and the other stuff was so cheesy.  Even back in the '70s.  I far preferred the WW II stuff.  I did like the first episode when she came back and thought she was seeing what's-his-name again, only to find out it was his grandson.

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Katy M said:

I thought that robot and the other stuff was so cheesy.  Even back in the '70s.  I far preferred the WW II stuff.  I did like the first episode when she came back and thought she was seeing what's-his-name again, only to find out it was his grandson.

I'm with you! Moreover, WWII seemed more 'timely' that this strong, resourceful woman could come out of nowhere to fight for democracy and freedom at a time when it was tough for women joining the WACs and WAVEs to help our troops than the mid 1970s when there had been two generations of women having proven their service (and Wonder Woman had long since been a known entity even in the show's world) ! I mean, I know the show was fluff but( in the first incarnation) she had that Joan of Arc vibe!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Thank you! I never liked how fans dismissed her as the "Plain Jane" of the group. Likewise, I'm sorry, but Farrah Fawcett's appeal always eluded me (not to mention there's something uncomfortable about her sitting position and smile on that iconic poster of hers).

• Love 6
(edited)
10 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Definitely agree with that. I had a huge crush on her. I wanted to be Sabrina. I had pictures of her all over my room.

10 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

1. Dawn is the best thing to ever happen to Buffy, both the character and the series. 

Now that is a bold statement! I actually really loved the character of Dawn and I liked her being the whiny bratty teenager that she was. That was a very unpopular opinion at the time. I like teenage characters that act like real teenagers where everything is about them and everything is so DRAMATIC.  That's the way it really is. I was a teenager once and I haven't forgotten what I was like. 😈

Edited by festivus
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I'm with you! Moreover, WWII seemed more 'timely' that this strong, resourceful woman could come out of nowhere to fight for democracy and freedom at a time when it was tough for women joining the WACs and WAVEs to help our troops

Alas, keeping Wonder Woman in WWII was too costly.  Happens a lot with episodic TV period shows.

I'll remain silent on my opinion of The Avengers except to say Emma Peel.  Emma Peel.  Emma Peel.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

4. Dollhouse was far superior to Firefly and deserved its' longer run. 

Oof, disagree on this one. Dollhouse put a magnifying glass on Eliza Dushku's limited acting range. She couldn't pull off the character and without a strong lead actress, the show fell apart for me. Had they had Amy Acker playing Echo instead... maybe. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Woof, you're nuts, sorry.  Some of the Tara scripts are very good, and I never disliked the actress, but the character was poorly thought out after two strong female partners.  Emma Peel was SUCH a crowdpleasing character - and having Tara be a young hero-worshipper of Steed  was inevitably going to make whatever actress played the part suffer in comparison to the supremely self-possessed Mrs. Peel and Mrs. Gale.  I always felt bad for Linda Thorson and she  definitely doesn't deserve the hate she gets in Avengers fandom.   On top of everything else apparently the producers wanted her to be a blond, so as to look different from Diana Rigg - the bleaching   burned and damaged her hair so badly she had to wear wigs.  Why they chose the matronly styles of wig they did is another mystery - Diana Rigg was the Queen of Mod and poor Linda looked like a middle-aged square - good god she was only TWENTY ONE.  

Now you see I came to The Avengers backwards, I watched The New Avengers as a kid and then watched the last season when C4 repeated it in the early 80s. I then went back and watched the Gale/Peel years but I didn't think they held a candle to the last season. With Tara you just couldn't have an Emma Peel clone, you had to have something new so we had the mentor/pupil (father/daughter?) relationship between Steed and Tara. The storylines were also brilliant, LSMIYHTOBBTWTTF... is the show at its' most brilliantly absurd, eps like Game, Super Secret Cyber Snatch, Noon Doomsday, The Interrogators and Invasion of the Earthmen were all great.   

19 hours ago, Katy M said:

The 70s set eps were more relatable and more colourful, the WW2 eps got very old very fast and you got the impression that every third American was secretly a Nazi agent (and also this was history, you knew the Allies won so it took the peril out of it). And lets not forget the gorilla!  Eps like The Deadly Toys, The Fine Art of Crime, The Pied Piper and The Bermuda Triangle were head and shoulders above S1  

And Lynda looked SO FINE!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Thank you! I never liked how fans dismissed her as the "Plain Jane" of the group. Likewise, I'm sorry, but Farrah Fawcett's appeal always eluded me (not to mention there's something uncomfortable about her sitting position and smile on that iconic poster of hers).

No, the others were more conventional beauties but Kate had class and sass. I always loved the ep of Baywatch where the girls play Charlie's Angels and they make Stephanie play Jackson's character because she's the smart (and least buxom) one. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, festivus said:

Definitely agree with that. I had a huge crush on her. I wanted to be Sabrina. I had pictures of her all over my room.

Now that is a bold statement! I actually really loved the character of Dawn and I liked her being the whiny bratty teenager that she was. That was a very unpopular opinion at the time. I like teenage characters that act like real teenagers where everything is about them and everything is so DRAMATIC.  That's the way it really is. I was a teenager once and I haven't forgotten what I was like. 😈

Dawnie had a lot to be dramatic about, life can't be easy when your big sister is not only a bona fide superhero with her own adoring fan club but she also gets voted sexiest woman in the  world. As the younger sibling of a hugely high achieving brother and sister I identify with her.  

13 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Alas, keeping Wonder Woman in WWII was too costly.  Happens a lot with episodic TV period shows.

I'll remain silent on my opinion of The Avengers except to say Emma Peel.  Emma Peel.  Emma Peel.

Tara King, Tara King, Tara King! 

8 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Oof, disagree on this one. Dollhouse put a magnifying glass on Eliza Dushku's limited acting range. She couldn't pull off the character and without a strong lead actress, the show fell apart for me. Had they had Amy Acker playing Echo instead... maybe. 

Really? I thought she was fine in the role(s) although Enver (Victor) was undoubtedly the best actor of the group. I think the problem with the show was that it was hard for the casual viewers to follow the character development when those characters were wiped every week. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Firefly was one of those shows I wanted to like more than I actually did. But I will forever be grateful to it for introducing me to the glory that is Nathan Fillon. 

True, had it perhaps been given more time? But (much like WW) it was much more expensive to shoot than Dollhouse which you could just film on the street/backlot and didn't need fancy special effects. 

33 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I wanted to like Dollhouse. I quit watching it because I found it hard to follow and confusing at times which made me get disinterested. 

There were a few eps I really enjoyed but mostly I didn't much care for the show. It was a bit too heavy on the male fantasy angle for me and the story was incredibly convoluted. 

Enver Gjokaj, however, was amazing to watch. I wish the show had centered around him instead. He was amazing at taking on all the different personas. 

• Love 5
On 6/9/2019 at 2:09 AM, Joe Hellandback said:

Really? I thought she was fine in the role(s) although Enver (Victor) was undoubtedly the best actor of the group. I think the problem with the show was that it was hard for the casual viewers to follow the character development when those characters were wiped every week. 

Dollhouse would have been much better show had they cut 90% of the pointless episodic missions and focused on the futuristic tech and shady underground organization.  IIRC both season finales were great

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Dollhouse would have been much better show had they cut 90% of the pointless episodic missions and focused on the futuristic tech and shady underground organization.  IIRC both season finales were great

I think it would have been much better without the "hookers being sent out by their pimp" feel of the show. I thought it was really skeevy.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/9/2019 at 3:09 AM, Joe Hellandback said:
On 6/8/2019 at 6:24 PM, kariyaki said:

I like Eliza Dushku but Echo was not a character she was suited to play.  I don't think Amy Acker would have done any better from what I've seen of her.  They are both good performers, but they are not chameleons  like, for example,  Meryl Streep and Gary Oldman - actors who are tremendously good at accents and altering their body language.    Enver Gjokaj and Alan Tudek  were and are actors who ARE good at that and it just showed up the limitations of the other performers.  The scene in "Belle Chose" (season 2, ep. 3)  where Victor is in the nightclub and becomes several different imprinted personas (including a giggly college girl) one after the other is a great example. I've watched Eliza Dushku and Amy Acker and Dichen Lachman in other programs and I don't believe they could have done such a scene - many actors DON'T do accents and it doesn't make them bad actors.  But for this show this is what was needed.

This is especially obvious to me now after having watched five seasons of Orphan Black.   Tatiana Maslany was SO good at embodying different, distinct characters that I had to keep reminding myself that the same actress was playing all of them.  That's the kind of lead actress that Dollhouse needed.

I had no problem following the character development - the way the dolls kept having these flashes of memory and awareness, and trying to hang onto them - I really liked that aspect of the show and it made up for some of the problems.  I do wish the show had continued, even with all the negative things I've said - it was an unusual concept and I was never bored by it.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, GaT said:

I think it would have been much better without the "hookers being sent out by their pimp" feel of the show. I thought it was really skeevy.

They should have killed a John every other episode to make a whodunit subplot

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:26 PM, Mabinogia said:

There were a few eps I really enjoyed but mostly I didn't much care for the show. It was a bit too heavy on the male fantasy angle for me and the story was incredibly convoluted. 

Enver Gjokaj, however, was amazing to watch. I wish the show had centered around him instead. He was amazing at taking on all the different personas. 

And female fantasy angle too don't forget? The male and female Dolls have female and male clients too and they get to enjoy being 'guilt free harlots' as Enver's character points out in one ep.  Sauce for the goose.... Yes it was convoluted and that was its' problem but sometimes worth it. 

Edited by Joe Hellandback
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Absolutely, that was the idea for Angel too, it would be about the clients but it evolved into all being about the team which both fans and writers preferred. I loved both finales 

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, GaT said:

I liked that, it was always the unrealistic aspect of Star Trek that nobody ever used the holosuites for sex, humanity hasn't changed that much in a few centuries. If there was a real Dollhouse no one could resist. 

Edited by Joe Hellandback
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I like Eliza Dushku but Echo was not a character she was suited to play.  I don't think Amy Acker would have done any better from what I've seen of her.  They are both good performers, but they are not chameleons  like, for example,  Meryl Streep and Gary Oldman - actors who are tremendously good at accents and altering their body language.    Enver Gjokaj and Alan Tudek  were and are actors who ARE good at that and it just showed up the limitations of the other performers.  The scene in "Belle Chose" (season 2, ep. 3)  where Victor is in the nightclub and becomes several different imprinted personas (including a giggly college girl) one after the other is a great example. I've watched Eliza Dushku and Amy Acker and Dichen Lachman in other programs and I don't believe they could have done such a scene - many actors DON'T do accents and it doesn't make them bad actors.  But for this show this is what was needed.

This is especially obvious to me now after having watched five seasons of Orphan Black.   Tatiana Maslany was SO good at embodying different, distinct characters that I had to keep reminding myself that the same actress was playing all of them.  That's the kind of lead actress that Dollhouse needed.

I had no problem following the character development - the way the dolls kept having these flashes of memory and awareness, and trying to hang onto them - I really liked that aspect of the show and it made up for some of the problems.  I do wish the show had continued, even with all the negative things I've said - it was an unusual concept and I was never bored by it.

I'm not sure if Amy is a better actress, I think ED is just fine as Echo's "Characters" but you could never have sold the show on Amy, she's just not the stunner ED is 

5 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

I liked that, it was always the unrealistic aspect of Star Trek that nobody ever used the holosuites for sex, humanity hasn't changed that much in a few centuries. If there was a real Dollhouse no one could resist. 

Maybe that should be amended to the perfect crew of the Enterprise on TNG. The holo-suites of Quarks on DS9 were specifically for sexual purposes until an ex  Enterprise perfect crewman came over.

Agents of SHIELD just did a riff off of the theme where the perfect agent was looking askew on a person using a real life model for his fantasy VR sexting.

19 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Yeah, the one on the DVD that they didn't show on air (I think the season 1 finale?) was amazing. 

(edited)
19 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

I liked that, it was always the unrealistic aspect of Star Trek that nobody ever used the holosuites for sex

One of the things I like about The Orville is that they do use the holosuites for sex.  See "Primal Urges", season 2 episode 2.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 6:24 PM, kariyaki said:

God no, that would've been worse.  As limited as Eliza Dushku is as an actress, Amy Acker is actively terrible.

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2014 at 12:18 AM, WedgeOfSpite said:

I hated Tara, and while I get that her life makes it so that she appears mousy, she's really not blah blah blah. She was a BORING character, and that wasn't helped by a not-great actress. And Tara/Willow had zero-chem as a couple. Sure, Willow had anti-chem with Kennedy, but even that isn't enough to make me root for Tara/Willow or Tara anything.

I was overjoyed when her character was killed off. Huzzah! 

You'd be a brave person to appear on the Buffy board with that opinion. 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:49 PM, proserpina65 said:

God no, that would've been worse.  As limited as Eliza Dushku is as an actress, Amy Acker is actively terrible.

I don't believe either, they're both fine and ED is GORGEOUS!

• Love 2

OK, here's a REALLY UO but here goes: I tried to watch South Park but even just five minutes in, I was so put out by its deliberately nasty, foul and cruel 'tude that I switched it off and NEVER bothered it with again despite all the hype and urging of my friends who liked it. To each one's own, I say.

Hence whenever I read of folks upset that the storylines have taken nasty and sadistic turns, I have to say, I AGREE  (and I'm sorry you all have been upset by certain turns of events ). However;   consider the source. IMO, that show and its creators have ALWAYS been   pitching what I consider perp porn  from Day One. 

• Love 7
On 6/11/2019 at 8:41 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

One of the things I like about The Orville is that they do use the holosuites for sex.  See "Primal Urges", season 2 episode 2.

And they drink too much, do stupid things, sometimes are bad at their jobs. Like actual people. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, ganesh said:
On 6/11/2019 at 10:41 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

And they drink too much, do stupid things, sometimes are bad at their jobs. Like actual people. 

And now I'm adding The Orville to my watch list. 

• Love 3
On 5/24/2019 at 5:02 PM, ganesh said:

Did you see her in Masters of Sex?

OMG I loved this show so much. I felt like an island of one, I literally could not get anyone else interested. I found it absolutely riveting. 

17 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

OMG I loved this show so much. I felt like an island of one, I literally could not get anyone else interested. I found it absolutely riveting. 

IIRC 1st season was good.  But once they added a baby it just fell apart for me.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:00 PM, Blergh said:

OK, here's a REALLY UO but here goes: I tried to watch South Park but even just five minutes in, I was so put out by its deliberately nasty, foul and cruel 'tude that I switched it off and NEVER bothered it with again despite all the hype and urging of my friends who liked it. To each one's own, I say.

Hence whenever I read of folks upset that the storylines have taken nasty and sadistic turns, I have to say, I AGREE  (and I'm sorry you all have been upset by certain turns of events ). However;   consider the source. IMO, that show and its creators have ALWAYS been   pitching what I consider perp porn  from Day One. 

South Park was funny when I was in college. Now I'm 40 and I can't anymore. I guess I've officially entered grouchy old lady status.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

When South Park episodes hit, they are some of the funniest things around. PC Principal and his babies, the sendup of Will and Kate's wedding ("A great day for Canada..."), Randy pretending to be Lorde. But when they flop, man, they can be real stinkers.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

Now I'm 40 and I can't anymore. I guess I've officially entered grouchy old lady status.

Same. I used to HOWL with laughter at Saturday Night Live sketches during the  70s-80s. I look at land shark sketches now and wonder what I thought was so funny.

These days I'll smile or chuckle at TV. Every so often a snort of laughter will erupt, but I think ROFL is reserved for the young.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Minneapple said:

South Park was funny when I was in college. Now I'm 40 and I can't anymore. I guess I've officially entered grouchy old lady status.

Actually, I find it a relief to have reached the age when I can laugh at what I WANT and not have to worry about whatever hype and trends are out there that claim to tell the world what they are SUPPOSED to laugh at! Anyway, I hope that not having to laugh at the show (or anything you yourself don't sincerely find funny)  brings you comfort!

• Love 3