Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

UO: Back in the TWOP days I used to watch objectively bad shows just to make fun of them in the forum.  I ain't got no time for that nowadays and just ignore those shows even though some really deserve it (ie. ST Discovery).  I watched the 1st season of ST Discovery just out of the brand loyalty, but that thing was written so poorly it was like eating broken glass. 

Life is short.  I'd rather spend my time watching things I like

• Love 11

As a corollary to above, I don't like how shows have over a year apart between seasons. Example - I thought American Gods was interesting enough that I'd watch a second season, but it's been so long since it's been on that when S2 started, I was already in the midst of other shows and just don't have time for it right now. I didn't even know it was back on until a few weeks ago. And I do like watching shows in near real time so I can participate in discussions on here.

I still haven't seen S2 of Westworld or The Deuce. 

I don't know if this is UO but I don't like people imprinting an actor's politics on the character they play. You don't know if that's the case. (Currently there's comments on Seth McF's politics on the character he plays on The Orville because he's the EP). Whereas the plot itself being criticized is consistent with the characters themselves. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

I also don't like how everything is a rip off of something else. Sometimes a joke is just a joke. 

TV episodes are also written months before airing. Just because two different shows have similar themes doesn't mean one ripped off the other either. 

• Love 9

A super-duper old school UO:

Gilligan can go crap in the ocean, Bob Denver will always be Maynard G. Krebs from Dobie Gillis to me. It bothers me that Denver is better remembered for loathsomely stupid Gilligan instead of witty, hilarious Maynard. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Gilligan can go crap in the ocean, Bob Denver will always be Maynard G. Krebs from Dobie Gillis to me. It bothers me that Denver is better remembered for loathsomely stupid Gilligan instead of witty, hilarious Maynard. 

Marry me!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, janie jones said:

I don't give a fuck about Game of Thrones.

I don't know if my opinion is technically "unpopular" but I stopped watching a few seasons ago and I don't care enough to watch "the end."

BUT, I did like a few original characters/potential ships that I still care about, albeit not enough to watch.  So the way I "watch" GOT these days is by checking Tumblr for reactions and maybe a few gifs short clips. 

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

So the way I "watch" GOT these days is by checking Tumblr for reactions and maybe a few gifs short clips. 

That's the beauty of quitting a show that has a huge social media following. I kept up with the last few seasons of Pretty Little Liars by looking at Tumblr gifs and YouTube clips. Way less painful than sitting through the actual episodes.

• Love 5
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:46 AM, ABay said:

Idris Elba is an attractive man with a lovely voice but the adoration he gets is OTT, in my opinion.

I don't like over-adoration of anyone. I do think Idris would have a been a good Bond, perhaps they could switch over to a different Bond each film. The movies are really old school and there are too many action heroes nowadays for a Bond film to be special. Back on topic, Idris is hunky and all but let's spread the love around to other guys, there are plenty!

• Love 11
(edited)
On 4/17/2019 at 1:04 AM, kathyk2 said:

Amen you would think JJ Jareau was evil incarnate according to some Criminal fans. I think fans are too quick to use terms like narcissist and sociopath to describe characters they don't like.

You go to the CM board and it seems she is worse then the worst UnSub. 

I like finales so although I don’t care about Game of Thrones I am curious enough how it ends.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

I'm not a huge fan of Game of Thrones.  I've seen all 7 seasons and will eventually get to season 8, but I don't miss it when it's gone.  My unpopular GOT opinion is that Season 6 was the best one so far.   Until then, I didn't really care about it, except for a couple of characters.  Now, I'm interested in how it ends, but, again, not enough to be anxious for it's return or to get HBO just so I can binge it. 

• Love 1
On 4/30/2019 at 9:28 AM, kariyaki said:

That's the beauty of quitting a show that has a huge social media following. I kept up with the last few seasons of Pretty Little Liars by looking at Tumblr gifs and YouTube clips. Way less painful than sitting through the actual episodes.

I suppose I should've done that with PLL. I loved the first 1 1/2 seasons, but then I got bored. The writers were stretching out the mysteries forever, and I couldn't take it anymore. 

--I still don't know who A is, for example. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

You go to the CM board and it seems she is worse then the worst UnSub. 

I like finales so although I don’t care about Game of Thrones I am curious enough how it ends.  

I know I post on that forum and someone thought she was worse than George Foyet. I think if you hate a particular character you should use cannon to prove your point. There is  ahuge difference between discussion and name calling.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I know I post on that forum and someone thought she was worse than George Foyet. I think if you hate a particular character you should use cannon to prove your point. There is  ahuge difference between discussion and name calling.

That is why I stopped going the CM board.  I can post on twitter just fine.   The irony is that AJ Cooke is one of the reasons I checked out the show in the first place.  The very young her on Higher Ground was amazing.   Plus I really like JJ and the CM board obsession with Reid actually made me hate him for awhile.    I had to actually take a step back and I realized my hatred for the character was in direct correlation with this site's hatred of JJ a character I love.  So yeah no longer post on that board.  And yeah there is a difference between discussing and name calling.  Sometimes it is just not worth the hassle.  

I gave up trying to explain why I like unpopular characters like Skylar White on Breaking Bad and Paige Jennings on The Americans

Is it weird that they are all women or am I just being paranoid?

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 10
On 4/29/2019 at 4:10 PM, Shannon L. said:

That's how I felt about Chris Pine when everything was all about him.

When was everything about Chris Pine? I’d like to return to it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, topanga said:

--I still don't know who A is, for example. 

I still don't think the writers know who A is either. lol I hung in as long as I could but gave up just before the final season. I think I kind of know who A was but it was so convoluted I'm not sure I remember it right and I don't care because what I do remember is thinking "you've got to be fucking kidding me!" When I found out. 

• LOL 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I still don't think the writers know who A is either. lol I hung in as long as I could but gave up just before the final season. I think I kind of know who A was but it was so convoluted I'm not sure I remember it right and I don't care because what I do remember is thinking "you've got to be fucking kidding me!" When I found out. 

I always thought Pretty Little Liars was one of those shows where having a large rabid fan  base hurt more then it helped.   I always thought one of the most clever storylines was having Ezra as a possible A.   That had the potential to be one of the greatest stories ever.   But of course the Aria/Ezra shippers balked and balked loudly.    I sometimes think that the show runners originally intended for it to go that way but suddenly had to come up with a new plan.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7
On 4/17/2019 at 1:04 AM, kathyk2 said:

Amen you would think JJ Jareau was evil incarnate according to some Criminal fans. I think fans are too quick to use terms like narcissist and sociopath to describe characters they don't like.

Ok, JJ is the cute blonde, right? I admittedly haven't watched the show in years but why would anyone hate her? At worst she could be a bit dull but unless in later seasons she started killing puppies I just don't get it. Oh, is it because she's female? And pretty? 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I always thought one of the most clever storylines was having Ezra as a possible A.  

That would have been brilliant if they had stuck with it. But I agree that their pandering to the fan base and trying to keep the story going and going and going ruined what could have been an amazing short run show. 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Ok, JJ is the cute blonde, right? I admittedly haven't watched the show in years but why would anyone hate her? At worst she could be a bit dull but unless in later seasons she started killing puppies I just don't get it. Oh, is it because she's female? And pretty? 

Because not laughing at one of Reid's jokes is worse then killing Hotch's wife.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
Just now, Chaos Theory said:

Because not laughing at one of Reid joke is worse then killing Hotch's wife.

I would laugh but that is so sad. I always liked JJ. She wasn't my favorite character of all time, but I liked her better than Hotch (hated him. I think it was the actor, his voice and manner of speaking annoyed the crap out of me sometimes). I stopped watching because the subject matter was too dark but the show had one of my favorite teams overall. It's a shame that fans can't seem to like more than one character and have to fight over which one rules and which one drools. 

I see it on the GoT thread all the time, to the point I had to leave. I couldn't take the fighting because, going against all logic, I actually like both Sansa AND Arya AND Jon AND Dany.  I'm a fucking rebel man!

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Is it weird that they are all women or am I just being paranoid?

Whenever there is a character who evokes a seething degree of hatred in a lot of viewers, yet few of the vitriolic diatribes reference any specific actions of the character as the cause of that hatred, it's a safe bet the character is a woman.

• Love 22
9 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I would laugh but that is so sad. I always liked JJ. She wasn't my favorite character of all time, but I liked her better than Hotch (hated him. I think it was the actor, his voice and manner of speaking annoyed the crap out of me sometimes). I stopped watching because the subject matter was too dark but the show had one of my favorite teams overall. It's a shame that fans can't seem to like more than one character and have to fight over which one rules and which one drools. 

That's the reason I quit too. Its one of the few times that I quit a show while still liking the main characters. I just got so tired of it being so dark and depressing. All of the horrible criminals, serial killers and all the stuff the main characters went through.      

• Love 2
On 4/30/2019 at 12:50 AM, Irlandesa said:

So the way I "watch" GOT these days is by checking Tumblr for reactions and maybe a few gifs short clips. 

I don't have HBO and therefore didn't have access to GOT when it started.  My library currently has the DVD's, but I'm not going through that.  Still, I know enough about GOT via social media to admit I'm checking for who wins the Iron Throne.  

Feel free to discuss your unpopular opinions about television shows and characters.

Please refrain from expressing your opinions about "fandoms" and/or other forums and posters on this website.

• Love 4

I feel like the continued cultural phenomenon that is Game of Thrones is evidence of the human need to feel like they're 'in the gang'. The show is so fucking bad now, and has been for a couple of years. Terrible writing and pacing, utterly illogical twists and turns, characters making no sense from one scene to the next.

I watched the first two episodes of this season, but simply can't do it any more. I'll happily read spoilers to find out how things turn out, but I really have no investment in any possible conclusion any more.

It feels like a show being written purely to get reactions, rather than to tell a satisfactory story. What a shame.

• Love 6

Of all the Star Treks, I dislike Deep Space Nine the most. I liked it at first, somewhat... but once that Dominion storyline really kicked into high gear, I had checked out. I just found it so boring and tedious and-- zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

tenor.gif?itemid=5494253

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

I feel like the continued cultural phenomenon that is Game of Thrones is evidence of the human need to feel like they're 'in the gang'. The show is so fucking bad now, and has been for a couple of years. Terrible writing and pacing, utterly illogical twists and turns, characters making no sense from one scene to the next.

I watched the first two episodes of this season, but simply can't do it any more. I'll happily read spoilers to find out how things turn out, but I really have no investment in any possible conclusion any more.

It feels like a show being written purely to get reactions, rather than to tell a satisfactory story. What a shame.

Interesting. It’s constantly trending on my social media, and people seem to think this season is great. I wonder if people are afraid to speak out. Or if it’s just my friends. 

Yeah, I bailed after a few seasons. The storylines became tedious, and I found that I just didn’t care about any of the characters. 

• Love 2

GOT isn't nearly as good as people make it out to be, but once they outpaced the books I found it enormously improved. Except for the 1st season, it was incredibly tedious. 

• Love 3
On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 7:00 PM, Mabinogia said:

see it on the GoT thread all the time, to the point I had to leave. I couldn't take the fighting because, going against all logic, I actually like both Sansa AND Arya AND Jon AND Dany.  I'm a fucking rebel man!

Me too.  Let's be rebels together.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, topanga said:

Interesting. It’s constantly trending on my social media, and people seem to think this season is great. I wonder if people are afraid to speak out. Or if it’s just my friends. 

Among the people I talk with online who watch the show, many of them seem pretty critical. But I can definitely see where some might hesitate to criticize depending on the fandom circles they're hanging out in, too. 

8 hours ago, kariyaki said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5494253

This is so cute :D. 

• Love 1

No one is going to be totally satisfied with however it ends and I'm totally unspoiled. There will be people crying about the show being ruined, etc. 

• Love 3
On 4/29/2019 at 5:16 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

The free streaming app Tubi has episodes of "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" available for viewing.

11 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Of all the Star Treks, I dislike Deep Space Nine the most. I liked it at first, somewhat... but once that Dominion storyline really kicked into high gear, I had checked out. I just found it so boring and tedious and-- zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

tenor.gif?itemid=5494253

Funny, for me, the Dominion War is when I really started to enjoy DS9.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Funny, for me, the Dominion War is when I really started to enjoy DS9.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus, but that’s when I and DS9 were done. I quit watching it.

• Love 1

My unpopular Star Trek DS9 opinion is that by the end of the first season it got good. While the second season did still have some turds the corner was turned faster than Star Trek TNG did. 

• Love 4

My UO is I don't have a problem with this season of GOT at all.  IMO, no matter what happens, people will complain, just because that's the nature of all of us, to complain and say what's wrong with something (rarely to say what's right about something).  

• Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

The free streaming app Tubi has episodes of "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" available for viewing.

You can also watch all of Dobie nonstop on Amazon Prime.  I agree that Maynard was such a great character and the show itself remains a hilarious spoof.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 4
On 5/3/2019 at 4:00 PM, Mabinogia said:

I couldn't take the fighting because, going against all logic, I actually like both Sansa AND Arya AND Jon AND Dany.  I'm a fucking rebel man! 

Throw in Tyrion, Gilly (? The wildling), her kid and Sam, all living together, happily ever after, and I'd be very satisfied with the ending.  I haven't seen any of season 8 yet (like I said earlier, I can wait), so don't tell me if any of them are gone already. 

• Love 6

I'll put this here because if this show somehow won a Daytime Emmy award, then quite a few folks like it - somewhere, somehow.

Paternity Court won a Daytime Emmy.  Paternity Court.  The show that could be answered with a DNA kit within 5 minutes.  No, they drag it out, with charts and calendars, no embarrassment that oh I was sleeping with Joe on the 1, 2, 3, 4th, and then Sam on 5, 6, 7, then back to Joe on 8, 9, 10.   Hell, Maury does at least 5 or so tests (plus lie detectors) in an hour.  30 minutes and one result.  Is the judge even a real judge or just a combo of every talk show host around?  

As I work from home, sometimes, I can't get to or am too busy to switch this show off immediately.  And yet it won an Emmy.  

I saw a small bit of GoT a couple of years back.  I think someone got stabbed in the head, while everyone else was poisoned?  Anyhow, I was like oh it's just too violent for me.  I can watch real crime shows all day long, but actually seeing a sword, knife, saber, spear, etc. go through someone just gives me the willies, even though I know it's fake.    I also have a real aversion to watching something because it's the "in thing".  I don't watch the Super Bowl most years for that very reason.  People who never watch football suddenly are experts.  Just no.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

Paternity Court won a Daytime Emmy.

Made me look. I assumed it was for hairstyling or something but no: Outstanding Legal/Courtroom Program.

I've never watched and never even heard of it so am speaking completely out of my ass, but just the title sounds icky. The other nominees were Couples Court with the Cutlers, Judge Judy, and Judge Mathis.

The suprising thing to me is that the Emmys present an award for "outstanding" (seems like the term has to be VERY relative in this case) Legal/Courtroom program. 

How many of these shows are there now?  Really that many that you can present an Emmy for it?  I thought it was just Judge Judy and The Peoples Court still. 

I guess I am way out of the loop on my daytime programming, working during that time and all

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

How many of these shows are there now?  Really that many that you can present an Emmy for it?  I thought it was just Judge Judy and The Peoples Court still. 

Judge Judy, The People's Court, The Hot Seat, I don't know if it's still on, but there was a show where they had 3 celebrity's as a jury.  I only saw that one once, Todd Bridges was on.  I don't remember the other 2. Judge Joe Brown. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Judge Judy, The People's Court, The Hot Seat, I don't know if it's still on, but there was a show where they had 3 celebrity's as a jury.  I only saw that one once, Todd Bridges was on.  I don't remember the other 2. Judge Joe Brown. 

Judge Joe Brown's show was cancelled in 2013. Judge Mathis is still on after 20 seasons though and typing that made me feel old. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Judge Joe Brown's show was cancelled in 2013. Judge Mathis is still on after 20 seasons though and typing that made me feel old. 

Yeah, I think mix them up. The only one I ever watch is The People's Court.  And, if I happen to have a day off and visit my mom, she's watching The Hot Seat.

• Love 1